Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
You mean this CDC report that just came out on July 16th? The one that says that you should wear a mask?
No, I'm talking about an evidence based research journal article from May 2020.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

NW82

Jul 22, 2017
Chicago, IL
✟80,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Well first off, no, it is 0.007 PM. Second, the smallest nCoV19 particle is 0.1 PM...so using your number they are even less effective.

And here is my evidence (journal article) stating that anything below a respirator/surgical masks (less so), are basically useless: Effectiveness of Cloth Masks for Protection Against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2

Read post# 118 COVID-19. I disagree with my pastors.

Gotten way too many headaches, and stressed out lately trying to get horses to drink water and I just don't have the energy anymore. People are going to do what they are going to do, especially in 'murica.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The church has a God ordained duty to meet on its terms and without government intervention. God does not require masks in order to worship him and any requirement is unscriptural and should be ignored.

There is no requirement to wear trousers when you go to church either. I'm guessing that you do in fact wear trousers, either for your own modesty or to spare others.

Basically the same reasoning for wearing a mask.

It is odd that it seems only the US is there an issue with Christians wearing a mask when they meet together to worship.

Christians in the rest of the world are being very sensible as far as I can see.

• Agree
Reactions: pgp_protector
Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
2. Evidence is lacking
Claim: There is no scientific evidence to say that masks are effective

Prof. Trisha Greenhalgh from the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom has voiced her support about using face masks in several prominent research journals, such as The BMJ.

“The argument that we should not recommend face coverings because there are no published experiments is out of step with other public health policy on infection control in general and [COVID-19] in particular,” she recently wrote in the Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice.

“Mathematical modeling suggests that a face covering that is 60% effective at blocking viral transmission and is worn by 60% of the population will reduce R0 to below 1.0.”

– Prof. Trisha Greenhalgh

R0 is the technical term for the basic reproduction number, which refers to the number of other people to whom a single person can transmit infection.

When the R0 is below 1, each person with SARS-CoV-2 will transmit the virus to less than one other person, reducing the overall number of cases in the population over time.

One recent study in BMJ Global Health looked at transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in 124 families in which at least one member had COVID-19. The data showed that face masks were “79% effective in reducing transmission” if the person with COVID-19 wore them before they developed symptoms.

-------------
4. Masks might harm the wearer

Claim: Masks limit oxygen intake and increase carbon dioxide (CO2), and they increase the potential risk of CO2 poisoning

One small study looked at 39 volunteers who had end stage renal disease and received dialysis during the SARS pandemic in 2003. The researchers found that 70% of participants who wore an N95 respirator for 4 hours during treatment experienced a fall in oxygen levels.

Another study found no differences in the oxygen levels in 10 intensive care nurses who wore N95 respirators for their shifts.

Carbon dioxide poisoning is very rare, and experts mostly associate it with accidents that occur in confined spaces, such as ships and mines.

Hypercapnia, or hypercarbia, occurs when a person has too much carbon dioxide in their blood. Hyperventilation and some lung conditions can lead to hypercapnia. It can manifest as dizziness and headaches at the mild end of the spectrum, and confusion, seizures, and coma at the severe end.

Research from 2006 found that during the SARS pandemic in 2003, healthcare workers who wore N95 respirators for more than 4 hours at a time were more likely to develop headaches.

A representative from the CDC recently spoke to Reuters about hypercapnia: “The CO2 will slowly build up in the mask over time. However, the level of CO2 likely to build up in the mask is mostly tolerable to people exposed to it. You might get a headache, but you most likely [would] not suffer the symptoms observed at much higher levels of CO2. […] It is unlikely that wearing a mask will cause hypercapnia.”

Claim: Masks are dangerous for people with certain health conditions (COPD, asthma), as they may restrict breathing

The WHO acknowledge that people living with asthma, chronic respiratory conditions, or breathing problems may experience difficulties when wearing face masks.

The CDC recommend that anyone who has trouble breathing should not wear a face covering.

COVID-19 and face masks: 4 common myths

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
There is no requirement to wear trousers when you go to church either. I'm guessing that you do in fact wear trousers, either for your own modesty or to spare others.

Basically the same reasoning for wearing a mask.

It is odd that it seems only the US is there an issue with Christians wearing a mask when they meet together to worship.

Christians in the rest of the world are being very sensible as far as I can see.
Modesty is commanded in scripture, covering ones face is not. Good non-sequitor though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The WHO acknowledge that people living with asthma, chronic respiratory conditions, or breathing problems may experience difficulties when wearing face masks.

The CDC recommend that anyone who has trouble breathing should not wear a face covering.

Given that these are the most likely to have fatal results if they catch COVID, they should be isolating from other people - making masks irrelevant.

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Modesty is commanded in scripture, covering ones face is not. Good non-sequitor though.
But in other cultures, not wearing trousers would be perfectly acceptable. The link is tenuous I agree, but so is the reasoning that since it is not commanded by God we should not wear masks.

God also commends wisdom and wisdom would suggest that masks are the most sensible thing any of us can do short of not meeting at all.

The worst thing we can do is shout or sing in enclosed spaces without any form of covering over our mouths.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But in other cultures, not wearing trousers would be perfectly acceptable. The link is tenuous I agree, but so is the reasoning that since it is not commanded by God we should not wear masks.

God also commends wisdom and wisdom would suggest that masks are the most sensible thing any of us can do short of not meeting at all.

The worst thing we can do is shout or sing in enclosed spaces without any form of covering over our mouths.
And yet there is zero evidence that masks actually prevent the transmission of disease, particularly outside sterile environments. I have a dozen studies, all pre-politicized covid, that say cloth masks are useless and do nothing to stop the transmission of viruses. So I would submit there is no wisdom in wearing a mask.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And yet there is zero evidence that masks actually prevent the transmission of disease, particularly outside sterile environments. I have a dozen studies, all pre-politicized covid, that say cloth masks are useless and do nothing to stop the transmission of viruses. So I would submit there is no wisdom in wearing a mask.
And I would say your studies are wrong as they date from when we knew little about the disease.

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And I would say your studies are wrong as they date from when we knew little about the disease.
Covid 19 is just a Coronavirus, it's no different than other Coronaviruses other than it hasn't been in humans before. It's only novel in that regard, otherwise it's a run of the mill Coronavirus similar to those that cause the common cold. Specifically it's the same microscopic size which means the pre-covid studies are directly applicable.

• Agree
Reactions: Brighid
Upvote 0