Mel62

May 20, 2016
San Diego
✟9,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My city allows churches to assemble outdoors as long as they comply with the mask and social distancing requirements.

My church has signs, free masks and free hand sanitizer to comply with the city regulations. We assemble but the younger church members refuse to wear a mask citing various opinions based on the bible (God will protect me), medical opinions on covid (just the flu), etc. News crews show up to video tape the event. The next day the church is contacted by city officials to discuss our compliance issues.

I think the younger Christians are simply not compassionate. They haven't taken Love Your Neighbor to heart. I wish I saw more of a movement to contribute to food banks and medical charities and pray for our neighbors.

My pastors say we have the right to assemble. They focus more on government intervention instead of compliance and compassion for others.

I know the Holy Spirit directs each individual in their own way. I am wondering if I should say something to my pastors OR simply be accepting of their journey. Any ideas?

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
The pastor knows what is going on I'm sure. Younger people are essentially at no risk from this virus. If the laws are that masks are mandatory... period then he will do something about it but some places don't require masks if distancing is not a problem at all not sure of your situation. Personally I thinks masks are WAY overrated in their effectiveness I think they are more a (bad) psychological weapon to ease public concerns about this virus that are blown way out of proportion purposely by the media and politicians.
I believe if you are at risk rely on distancing FIRST and foremost and masks LAST. If health workers aren't allowed to use cheap 99 cent masks then there must be a reason and if they are getting INFECTED while wearing the best N95 mask available then NO mask is proof against this virus.... NONE will protect you totally.
If you feel safe wearing a mask...... you are being fooled IMO. Distancing works.... masks.... don't bet on them.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My city allows churches to assemble outdoors as long as they comply with the mask and social distancing requirements.

My church has signs, free masks and free hand sanitizer to comply with the city regulations. We assemble but the younger church members refuse to wear a mask citing various opinions based on the bible (God will protect me), medical opinions on covid (just the flu), etc. News crews show up to video tape the event. The next day the church is contacted by city officials to discuss our compliance issues.

I think the younger Christians are simply not compassionate. They haven't taken Love Your Neighbor to heart. I wish I saw more of a movement to contribute to food banks and medical charities and pray for our neighbors.

My pastors say we have the right to assemble. They focus more on government intervention instead of compliance and compassion for others.

I know the Holy Spirit directs each individual in their own way. I am wondering if I should say something to my pastors OR simply be accepting of their journey. Any ideas?
I'm getting sick of this "compassion for others" routine. Just because people see things differently than you, especially on an issue as layered as this, does not make them less compassionate. It's actually quite a divisive and, ironically, incompassionate thing to accuse others of. Could there be some people who fit that description? Sure. But, if so, they most likely did long before the masks, and it has deeper roots than simply wearing a mask or not.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
I'm getting sick of this "compassion for others" routine. Just because people see things differently than you, especially on an issue as layered as this, does not make them less compassionate. It's actually quite a divisive and, ironically, incompassionate thing to accuse others of. Could there be some people who fit that description? Sure. But, if so, they most likely did long before the masks, and it has deeper roots than simply wearing a mask or not.
The "phrase" for it is called "virtue signaling" and typically along with it comes an ego boost IMO.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The "phrase" for it is called "virtue signaling" and typically along with it comes an ego boost IMO.
For some, I'm absolutely certain that this is true. But I want to be fair & consistent to all sides. I'm certain there are plenty of people that are very genuine in their wearing of mask out of compassion. I wouldn't want to label all mask wearers anymore than I would all non-mask wearers. There's too much name calling and finger pointing on all sides and it needs to stop.

Upvote 0

Mel62

May 20, 2016
San Diego
✟9,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm getting sick of this "compassion for others" routine.
Millions are unemployed. People have been hospitalized. Businesses have been shut down. Most countries are refusing to allow Americans. I see things differently.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
For some, I'm absolutely certain that this is true. But I want to be fair & consistent to all sides. I'm certain there are plenty of people that are very genuine in their wearing of mask out of compassion. I wouldn't want to label all mask wearers anymore than I would all non-mask wearers. There's too much name calling and finger pointing on all sides and it needs to stop.
I agree. Not all people who are masking are doing so for profit but the ones that are concerning are the ones that get a sense of self righteousness over the donning of a piece of cloth to their face.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am wondering if I should say something to my pastors OR simply be accepting of their journey. Any ideas?

It's bizarre to me how divisive the pandemic safety measures have become.

Perhaps the thing to do is to say something gentle to the pastors, in hopes that they'll hear you and not just shut you out. Something like: "When people in the congregation aren't wearing masks [and aren't social distancing, if that's also an issue], I don't feel safe, and I don't feel like we're keeping each other safe. Could you remind people during the announcements that they need to wear their masks during the service?"

In my parish, we're going to be gently but firmly enforcing mask-wearing during the service; but I'm fortunate in that my priest, my bishop, and my governor are all in agreement on methods for slowing the spread of the virus.

Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Exactly. I have all the conservative things and yet a name on an ego trip and a monster because I wear and advocate mask here

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There is another angle here. The Senate was trying to pass some legislation to protect businesses and churches from lawsuit on account of an outbreak that could be traced back to a business or church. To the best of my knowledge, no such legislation has been successful.

At any rate, that tells me we are in uncharted territory in relation to these potential lawsuits and churches could be held liable. Churches, if they're going to come together in-person need to make sure congregants are abiding by whatever restrictions have been established. What they don't want is to have an outbreak, face a lawsuit, and it's discovered that folks weren't taking the appropriate precautions. Just a thought.

Why Congress’ next coronavirus bill might include legal protections for your church

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly. I have all the conservative things and yet a name on an ego trip and a monster because I wear and advocate mask here

On the other side, we are labeled "murderers" if we leave our house once a month and don't care to wear a mask for health reasons when we know factually we don't have the virus..

It goes both ways...

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It sounds as if your pastor is advocating for mask wearing... but doesn't want to be overly confrontational with those youth who don't care to.

If someone's behavior bothers you, you can always speak to them as your brother or sister in Christ, tell them your feelings and allow them to share theirs.

On biblical standpoint, I think this is a good statement and article for you to read in full, when you have the time to consider and digest:

Christ, not Caesar, Is Head of the Church

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Millions are unemployed. People have been hospitalized. Businesses have been shut down. Most countries are refusing to allow Americans. I see things differently.
You are misunderstanding me. Perhaps this would be more clear: I am tired of the "wearing a mask is the only compassionate response" routine. And the, "lockdowns are the only compassionate response" routine.

I personally know people that have been extremely negatively effected not by the virus, but by the government response to the virus, including a family member who is now dead. But whenever I, or others, attempt to talk about such things, the response always ends up with name calling and accusations of not being compassionate. That's what I'm sick of. Where's the compassion for these other folks?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Not all people who are masking are doing so for profit but the ones that are concerning are the ones that get a sense of self righteousness over the donning of a piece of cloth to their face.
Yeah, there's another name for such folks going around, but as I'm advocating for stopping the name calling I better not use it... :sweatsmile:

The best thing we can do, imo, is not engage with them because it's a no win situation. I had one such person "call me out" recently. I just said, "thank you" and walked away. Even though I had a lot of good responses I would have loved to use! :tearsofjoy:

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Yeah, there's another name for such folks going around, but as I'm advocating for stopping the name calling I better not use it... :sweatsmile:

The best thing we can do, imo, is not engage with them because it's a no win situation. I had one such person "call me out" recently. I just said, "thank you" and walked away. Even though I had a lot of good responses I would have loved to use! :tearsofjoy:
I'm not really in debates/discussions to win, just to give alternative opinions so that people sitting on the fence have another patch of grass to consider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Where a mask and don't worry about those who don't. Just that simple. Be glad you are open for fellowship and worship and your Pastors are not cupcakes, standing up to big brother that always knows better than we do. Ding ding! Round 112! :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The younger people refusing to wear face masks are not respecting their elders. Ignoring the safety of others led to disease and loss. People refused safety measures, then they complained about places being shutdown. Young Chinese people wore face masks. Their economy is growing.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,307.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If it would help you feel at peace about the decision, by all means talk to your pastors. I'd just suggest that you bear the following in mind:

Your pastors are, in many ways, in a no-win situation. They are trying to balance the law, medical advice, whatever guidance they are receiving from God, and pressure from their congregation (and that pressure will be pushing them in a bunch of incompatible directions). They will be worried about making the wrong decisions, and the cost of that, potentially, in people's lives; in people's welfare; in the long term strength of the church community; and in the witness of your church to your local community.

They are likely, at this point in the pandemic, very tired, very stressed, and struggling to adapt to the need to do things differently to "normal," in all sorts of ways that you won't necessarily see. They will be grieving anyone they know who has died, and grieving other losses, such as being unable to visit the sick and dying, and not being able to care for people the way that they would like.

Their own supports and resources for self-care have likely been badly disrupted, and if they have families, they are also concerned for how their families are travelling through all of this, and possibly demands on them at home have increased dramatically.

I have seen a lot of publishing recently about clergy burnout during this pandemic, and the predicted likely long-term cost to the church, with the prediction that after this pandemic, a surprisingly high number of us will end up walking away.

I say all this, so that you understand the context in which your pastors will receive whatever you say. Yours will be one voice in that chorus; so I'd suggest trying to offer whatever you have to say in a way that's supportive, rather than harsh.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Mark 12:31 NIV
The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

Romans 13:1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.

Doesn’t get any clearer than this.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If it would help you feel at peace about the decision, by all means talk to your pastors. I'd just suggest that you bear the following in mind:

Your pastors are, in many ways, in a no-win situation. They are trying to balance the law, medical advice, whatever guidance they are receiving from God, and pressure from their congregation (and that pressure will be pushing them in a bunch of incompatible directions). They will be worried about making the wrong decisions, and the cost of that, potentially, in people's lives; in people's welfare; in the long term strength of the church community; and in the witness of your church to your local community.

They are likely, at this point in the pandemic, very tired, very stressed, and struggling to adapt to the need to do things differently to "normal," in all sorts of ways that you won't necessarily see. They will be grieving anyone they know who has died, and grieving other losses, such as being unable to visit the sick and dying, and not being able to care for people the way that they would like.

Their own supports and resources for self-care have likely been badly disrupted, and if they have families, they are also concerned for how their families are travelling through all of this, and possibly demands on them at home have increased dramatically.

I have seen a lot of publishing recently about clergy burnout during this pandemic, and the predicted likely long-term cost to the church, with the prediction that after this pandemic, a surprisingly high number of us will end up walking away.

I say all this, so that you understand the context in which your pastors will receive whatever you say. Yours will be one voice in that chorus; so I'd suggest trying to offer whatever you have to say in a way that's supportive, rather than harsh.
100% on all counts

Upvote 0