Could you be in a relationship with someone illiterate?

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And how would she ever discover that? :p

Ask someone to Google it, of course!

To be real though, tons of my family members use that program for various reasons and it's really cool. Especially because once they get used to hearing the voice, they usually make it go super fast and no one else can understand what's being said except them.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
By some circumstance, you meet someone who you enjoy spending time with and have gotten to know fondly. After spending some time with them and communicating with them, it becomes painfully clear that they are illiterate or functionally illiterate. It looks like they can read and write at about a fourth or sixth grade level. English is their first or one of their first languages and they graduated high school.

Can you establish a relationship with someone who has severely limited literacy skills? Would you do so?

I'm not sure how one can be "illiterate" yet still "read and write at about a fourth or sixth grade level". What is a "fourth or six grade level"? I'm pretty sure I read "The Hobbit" between those ages.

If illiterate is understood by it's more common definition - then no, probably not. I have a friend who, while I'm not sure she's illiterate - comes close and she's got an insecurity over it. That alone would bother me because I feel I have to "dumb things down" a little for her - and it's sometimes like walking on eggs - lest I dumb them down too much and she's insulted.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure how one can be "illiterate" yet still "read and write at about a fourth or sixth grade level". What is a "fourth or six grade level"? I'm pretty sure I read "The Hobbit" between those ages.

If illiterate is understood by it's more common definition - then no, probably not. I have a friend who, while I'm not sure she's illiterate - comes close and she's got an insecurity over it. That alone would bother me because I feel I have to "dumb things down" a little for her - and it's sometimes like walking on eggs - lest I dumb them down too much and she's insulted.

I'm thinking more of a type of illiteracy where you might be able to read a sign and therefore still function in society, but you wouldn't necessarily be able to pick up an adult book and read it.

I'm thinking of examples from when I had to work with adults that had what would be considered very low levels of literacy, but they could still read a road sign or basic paragraphs. (I'm exempting those learning English as a second language; as long as they can read and write in some language, that's literacy.)

Upvote 0
M

MarkSB

Illiterate is a bit hard and for some reason I keep thinking of people who have English as a second language so I might have been too positive.

That's the first thing which comes to mind for me, too - since some of the Mexican/Latin American girls I've known might not have been able to read English at a high level. I'm not sure really, but I wouldn't be surprised by it if they couldn't. Either way I didn't think that it made them unintelligent, but obviously this goes against what one would normally define as being illiterate.

I still wouldn't consider someone who couldn't read to automatically be unintelligent, because as said I think some of it could have to do with life circumstances, but I wouldn't want to be with someone who had developmental issues either.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Love will overcome evil (Romans 12:9-21)
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
I do not mind being with someone with a slight learning disability. I am the type that loves to help others. However if she doesn't like to be changed or helped we might have problems.

I myself fought hard to improve myself from my darkest days. So while I would help anyone, I don't see myself being in a romantic relationship with someone who doesn't try hard to improve herself. And it isn't like "Oh you must be this good within 3 months or we break up!". No. But the lady have to try hard that's all.

Upvote 0

JojotheBeloved

Part of the Family
Apr 18, 2014
✟8,622.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
By some circumstance, you meet someone who you enjoy spending time with and have gotten to know fondly. After spending some time with them and communicating with them, it becomes painfully clear that they are illiterate or functionally illiterate. It looks like they can read and write at about a fourth or sixth grade level. English is their first or one of their first languages and they graduated high school.

Can you establish a relationship with someone who has severely limited literacy skills? Would you do so?

That's not a problem for me. People can learn new skills, even if they're behind when compared to the rest of their peers. Literacy is a skill, not a character trait. It's always possible to learn a new skill. If it was causing them problems, they would have the motivation to learn and I would help them in any way I could to find the resources to learn. If it wasn't causing them problems and I didn't see it causing me any functional problems, than there are plenty of other things to talk about besides written materials.

Upvote 0

sehnsucht9

Sep 1, 2014
✟15,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My grandfather was illiterate. He was born in a country with little to no education offered during his time and left his family to move to another country at a very young age. He was one of the most intelligent men I ever knew but he could not read and write.
To me I don't connect that with intelligence.
I would considered why and the reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums