Could the impeachment process cost the Dems among Independents?

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Marquette University usually has the best poll in Wisconsin and last week they had Trump beating 5 of the 6 Dems that they polled and Booker was the only one ahead of him and that was by only 1 point. This makes me wonder if possibly the impeachment hearings have cost the Dems with swing voters?

Reactions: Ken Rank

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know how representative I am of independents, but I'll vote for any Democratic candidate over Trump. Even candidates I would otherwise vote against, like Sanders or Warren. This time around it's not a matter of political positions. I don't want a president who is clearly delusional.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...way too early to ask that question imo. Aso, I'm guessing a majority of voters are still not that engaged with the whole impeachment process at this stage.....the primaries are a long way off....

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If the Dems win both houses, Trump won't be president very long.

Ronald Reagan had both Houses of Congress controlled by the Democrats during his last two years and accomplished things as well as George H. W. Bush throughout his whole term. Clinton survived impeachment with a Republican House and Senate.

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If the Dems win both houses, Trump won't be president very long.

Trump will not be President for a single day in 2021. He will lose his re-election campaign - IF his name is still on the ballot.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Trump will not be President for a single day in 2021. He will lose his re-election campaign - IF his name is still on the ballot.
Perhaps so but I'll book mark this thread and comment and give a response at that time. If you turn out right I'll admit it that I guess you were right but if you end up wrong maybe you can tell us what happened?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So you seriously think after Donald Turmp LOST the popular vote in 2016, he will win by merit next year? Especially considering his behavior in office that proves he is not only a criminal, but unfit to be President of the United States?

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Marquette University usually has the best poll in Wisconsin and last week they had Trump beating 5 of the 6 Dems that they polled and Booker was the only one ahead of him and that was by only 1 point. This makes me wonder if possibly the impeachment hearings have cost the Dems with swing voters?

The issue is this, there have been at least 3 investigations of the President, and the only thing that has definitively stuck was that he had relations with two strippers 10 years before he became President, he owned up to those. Everything else are just accusations, and speculation by the media, and have yet to be proven.

The Democrats pinned all their hopes on the Mueller report, which had no smoking gun.

Additionally, Congress has done nothing of substance since the last election, but are still being paid.

The impeachment process had better result in a Senate trial victory, or, it will backfire on them.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I think some people have problems understanding the gravity of Trump's misdeeds. Many Americans couldn't even find Ukraine on a map.

So yeah, Democrats are taking a risk. Especially because Republicans are trying to engage in legalism and parroting Russian propaganda to obfuscate the issue. I could see how it could be confusing right now. But the process isn't over yet.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I think some people have problems understanding the gravity of Trump's misdeeds. Many Americans couldn't even find Ukraine on a map.

So yeah, Democrats are taking a risk. Especially because Republicans are trying to engage in legalism and parroting Russian propaganda to obfuscate the issue. I could see how it could be confusing right now. But the process isn't over yet.
Yes, the process is not over and my grama used to tell us, "He who laughs last, laughs best".

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how representative I am of independents, but I'll vote for any Democratic candidate over Trump. Even candidates I would otherwise vote against, like Sanders or Warren. This time around it's not a matter of political positions. I don't want a president who is clearly delusional.
Preach it!:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm sorry, I expect Trump will be President for at least 20 days in 2021; since I doubt the Senate will vote to remove him. I suppose it is possible, particularly with his diet, that he might not live to see 2021 but I still think that is remote.

As for the election, I think it is too soon to make any type of predictions -- it is going to be a long year....

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi BtG,

I really don't know if the impeachment investigation will hurt or hinder the Democratic party. I honestly don't see why it would, but there is a chance that if the Senate doesn't vote guilty, many might see it as a large waste of time.

However, when we handle criminal or questionable matters based on what everyone's going to think about the people that bring the charges rather than on whether there is any merit to the charges, then we've lost what this nation stands for as far as criminal prosecution.

When it gets to the point that we let someone that we like get away with murder because bringing charges would sully how people view those who bring the charges, rather than the criminal act of murder itself, then we have abandoned God's command that we be fair and just in our handling of the law.

There are a lot of people who see what President Trump was trying to do through a foreign government initiative, to use them to bring up an investigation into an American citizen, esp. a presidential candidate who would be running against him, as, at the very least, a highly suspect and questionable activity for a President of the United States to involve himself in. Those people have chosen to pursue charges for such activity without really caring what it might make them look like to others.

However, some polls do find that Independents, do, as a majority, support the impeachment of the president. It's always a toss up what 'swing' voters will do. That's what makes them 'swing' voters. They haven't really fallen solidly on one side of the line or the other. I do feel, though, that if the evidence does continue in the way that it's going, there may well be a lot of those 'swing' voters who will support impeachment. Will any be lots? Probably, but like I say, if some activity or party could definitively pigeon hole 'swing' voters, than they wouldn't be 'swing' voters. So, I'm just not sure of the wisdom that says we should do or not do something that a lot of people believe should be done, because we may ostracize some 'swing' voters.

BTW, I'm just curious, but in your title you mention 'Independent' voters, but in your post it becomes 'swing' voters. Is there a reason for that?

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Threatening whistleblowers with the death penalty on Twitter was beyond the pale for me. Our country is clearly experiencing a crisis in conscience, as most people aren't particularly concerned we have a criminal madman in the White House.

• Agree
Reactions: miamited
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, I expect Trump will be President for at least 20 days in 2021; since I doubt the Senate will vote to remove him. I suppose it is possible, particularly with his diet, that he might not live to see 2021 but I still think that is remote.

As for the election, I think it is too soon to make any type of predictions -- it is going to be a long year....

Actually Trump would be in office exactly 19.5 days if the Senate is unwiling to convict him. His successor will be inaugurated at noon. As Christians, we can ask God to help at least 20 Republican Senators do the right thing and vote for convicting him, so not all hope is lost.

"These three things remain: Faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of all is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13)
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and knowing what you do not see." (Hebrews 11:1)

Who says we should not have faith and hope in God's abillity to change the minds of at least 20 people?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually Trump would be in office exactly 19.5 days if the Senate is unwiling to convict him. His successor will be inaugurated at noon. As Christians, we can ask God to help at least 20 Republican Senators do the right thing and vote for convicting him, so not all hope is lost.

"These three things remain: Faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of all is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13)
"Faith is being sure of what you hope for and knowing what you do not see." (Hebrews 11:1)

Who says we should not have faith and hope in God's abillity to change the minds of atleast 20 people?

As the evidence mounts and elections loom, it's not in the realm of impossibility to suggest that some Republicans may break ranks. Things may be up in the air more than the past. For instance, there are some metro areas in Texas that are leaning blue, that used to lean red, and the possibility exists that Texas could become a swing state.

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0