Could someone explain me evolution & Big Bang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with that.

But let me ask you something that puzzles me. How does one parse what parts of the Bible are supposed to be literal and what parts are not? I mean, if Genesis isn't supposed to be read literally, does that also apply to anything/everything else in the Bible? How do you know?

This is a good question and one that is critical to understanding the Bible. There are poetic, prophetic, literal and spiritual parts to the Bible and one needs to be aware of the essence of the book you are reading.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you think I am not a reasonable person?

Or you're not apprised of the data. I don't know you well enough to make that determination, but based on the limited banter we've had, I'm leaning towards your ignorance of science.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is a good question and one that is critical to understanding the Bible. There are poetic, prophetic, literal and spiritual parts to the Bible and one needs to be aware of the essence of the book you are reading.

Of course. What would you consider this passage to be, poetic, prophetic, literal or spiritual?

"Truly I say to you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are things you know. Correct. Things that are not debatable, or possible to change. Your existence. My existence. These are things that we know. WE don't change our opinion because it is a fact that we know. That is what we are looking at here. I know. I don't just believe, I know. So even if you don't understand that, you can't argue with me as to what I know and what I don't.

A la Ray Comfort, who also claims to "know," that God exists. Actually, my best friend claims the same.

If this is the case, how can he be perfectly just, as the Bible claims, when he allows some people this knowledge, but not others, when our very [eternal] existence is dependent on such knowledge?

Likewise, why is "faith" so tantamount in the Bible, if he provides some people with the means to perceive him, thereby negating the need for faith?

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course. What would you consider this passage to be, poetic, prophetic, literal or spiritual?

"Truly I say to you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

That is literal. The literal meaning is that Jesus was died and rose again and went to sit on His throne (in His Kingdom). The death of Christ brought in the time of the gentiles with Jesus taking His place next to God the father. Those standing there saw Jesus after His death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A la Ray Comfort, who also claims to "know," that God exists. Actually, my best friend claims the same.

If this is the case, how can he be perfectly just, as the Bible claims, when he allows some people this knowledge, but not others, when our very [eternal] existence is dependent on such knowledge?

Likewise, why is "faith" so tantamount in the Bible, if he provides some people with the means to perceive him, thereby negating the need for faith?

I know that one must ask and God knows the motivation of the one asking. That is all I know. I have known that other like myself that didn't know if God existed or not were given that knowledge when we sincerely wanted to know.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know that one must ask and God knows the motivation of the one asking. That is all I know. I have known that other like myself that didn't know if God existed or not were given that knowledge when we sincerely wanted to know.

Doesn't answer my questions...but okay...what would be an example of the "wrong" motivation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That is literal. The literal meaning is that Jesus was died and rose again and went to sit on His throne (in His Kingdom). The death of Christ brought in the time of the gentiles with Jesus taking His place next to God the father. Those standing there saw Jesus after His death.

So he was just reassuring his followers that they wouldn't die during the next few days? How can you be sure he wasn't referring to the "transfiguration?"

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
OK, follow-up questions.

How do you reconcile this with mainstream science? Specifically, the conclusions that flowering plants first appeared 140 million years ago, while the Sun burst forth 4,500 million years ago.

Isn't it more probable that Genesis isn't literally accurate concerning the order of appearances vis-a-vis plants and stars - and, indeed, was never meant to be?

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, follow-up questions.

How do you reconcile this with mainstream science? Specifically, the conclusions that flowering plants first appeared 140 million years ago, while the Sun burst forth 4,500 million years ago.

The grasses, flowering plants and so forth are kinds that come from the kinds that came before. So although this lists certain plants that come about later after other kinds that come before.

There is a process that is called Chemosynthesis that has been discovered that explains how this happens.

Isn't it more probable that Genesis isn't literally accurate concerning the order of appearances vis-a-vis plants and stars - and, indeed, was never meant to be?

No, I don't think so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He doesn't say "some of you won't see me," instead he says "some of you won't taste death," implying that some would die over the next several days.

"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." Emphasis mine.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

How were you given this knowledge? How is it that you "know" god exists?

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." Emphasis mine.

So, some will die, and some won't die, before his crucifixion.
Why do you think he told them that?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.