Corporal punishment of children, ok or no?

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Child psychologists used to recommend the use of an instrument of some kind rather than the hand as the hand can do more physical harm. A 'paddle' of some sort makes more sound than pain as it contacts the misbehaving child's bottom.
It used to be recommended that if you wanted to beat a slave you didn't actually kill her. Some sort of financial penalty would accrue I think. Notwithstanding that it's relatively easy to damage your hand if you punch someone in the head. Best use a whip I say.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It used to be recommended that if you wanted to beat a slave you didn't actually kill her. Some sort of financial penalty would accrue I think. Notwithstanding that it's relatively easy to damage your hand if you punch someone in the head. Best use a whip I say.

I'm not going to go there. That's dangerous territory here.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What, no extension cords or bull whips?

What I would have given to be simply paddled according to those recommendations.

Whippings and beatings are like the death penalty; some people deserve it. :zoro:

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What I would have given to be simply paddled according to those recommendations.
And kids subject to being burned for misbehaving or annoying adults may prefer what you had, still not an argument for either form of abuse.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And kids subject to being burned for misbehaving or annoying adults may prefer what you had, still not an argument for either form of abuse.

Deserved appropriate punishment isn't abuse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Actually as long as the slave recovered enough to get up and walk before dying it was fine. It is interesting how some more recent translations say actuall recovery was needed. There is no hint of that in the Hebrew. The King James version seems to miss in the opposite direction. It seems to say as long as the slave lives a couple of days all is well. That is also not what the Hebrew says.

Yea the athiest has a Hebrew-English interlinear.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Prov 13:24: “He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him often

Prov 19:18 Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

Seems like spanking is too soft , rod should be used for this purpose. That means spanking is ok if rod is ok too
A rod can damage layers of skin. Spanking a child with a rod is child abuse and torture.

Upvote 0