Corporal punishment of children, ok or no?

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
if the rod is used for guiding why is the child crying it's like you just ignored the 2nd sentence I quoted and pretend it didn't exist so there it is again

Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

or this

Proverbs 22:15 -
Foolishness [is] bound in the heart of a child; [but] the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

I wonder how people twist Scriptures in these proverbs which most of these proverbs apply literally for what they say

It obviously means to use rod to beat the foolishnes the child did , not that u give a piece of stick to child and he/she somehow become wise because now he /she has piece of wood lol
As you are using the bible to show how to discipline a child, perhaps you might approve of other ways the bible says to deal with a child's indiscipline.
If the child speaks ill of his parents, the child can be killed, or if the child is being rude by calling someone names, you could set a bear on them and watch them be torn to pieces. That should put paid to their cheek and you would never have to go to the bother of beating them with a rod again!

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,901.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
if the rod is used for guiding why is the child crying it's like you just ignored the 2nd sentence I quoted and pretend it didn't exist so there it is again

Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

or this

Proverbs 22:15 -
Foolishness [is] bound in the heart of a child; [but] the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

I wonder how people twist Scriptures in these proverbs which most of these proverbs apply literally for what they say

It obviously means to use rod to beat the foolishnes the child did , not that u give a piece of stick to child and he/she somehow become wise because now he /she has piece of wood lol
Do you think the book of proverbs is a list of comandements for life in todays world?

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As you are using the bible to show how to discipline a child, perhaps you might approve of other ways the bible says to deal with a child's indiscipline.
If the child speaks ill of his parents, the child can be killed, or if the child is being rude by calling someone names, you could set a bear on them and watch them be torn to pieces. That should put paid to their cheek and you would never have to go to the bother of beating them with a rod again!
Yea being child doesn't make you sinless cute being who can't do evil.
Tho there is more to that story with the bear.
Israel's punishment were set up really high so people don't even try or think of doing them.
If we went by them today majority of women would be punished by death ect. for sex outside of marriage.

So yea Bible has nothing to offer other than these and it's not going to change to acustom to current world and beliefs of it's people.

Tho in today's world kids would probably prefer to be spanked than to have thier phones and console games taken away so might be better punishment this way.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Prov 13:24: “He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him often

Prov 19:18 Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

Seems like spanking is too soft , rod should be used for this purpose. That means spanking is ok if rod is ok too

"Rod" is a symbol of authority.

Psalms 23,
Your rod and staff they comfort me.

post #3 is on right track.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Isn't that the guy who suggests that children should be beaten until they cry after every misbehaviour?

“Pain is a marvelous purifier…It is not necessary to beat the child into submission; a little bit of pain goes a long way for a young child. However, the spanking should be of sufficient magnitude to cause the child to cry genuinely… Real crying usually lasts two minutes or less, but may continue for five. After that point, the child is merely complaining... I would require him to stop the protest crying, usually by offering him a little more of whatever caused the original tears.” (Dr. James Dobson)

That is beyond scary. Spank to tears and then if the child continues to cry spank them again.

That is the work of a monster. And sadly it is part and parcel of how many of those who think spanking is proper think.

When I was young I seperated a shoulder, no tears. Broke a finger, no tears. But tears were quite possible if I felt ill used or treated. And this monster would hit a child who was like me because they continued to cry after being abused.

Since he also abuses animals per his own words in a link in this thread I rather hope Dante got Hell right and Dobson ends up on the 7th level where the dogs can get their revenge.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,901.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That is beyond scary. Spank to tears and then if the child continues to cry spank them again.

That is the work of a monster. And sadly it is part and parcel of how many of those who think spanking is proper think.

When I was young I seperated a shoulder, no tears. Broke a finger, no tears. But tears were quite possible if I felt ill used or treated. And this monster would hit a child who was like me because they continued to cry after being abused.

Since he also abuses animals per his own words in a link in this thread I rather hope Dante got Hell right and Dobson ends up on the 7th level where the dogs can get their revenge.
That would be impossible, since all dogs go to heaven.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,580.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That would be impossible, since all dogs go to heaven.

But is heaven a place or a state of mind/being? Getting to run through the woods chasing prey is a pretty nice deal for the dogs. Hell for their prey.

I remember a TV episode. I'm leaning toward Night Gallery. A Shock DJ type gets dumped into a room with old people whose conversations go like this:

How is Heather?

Yes the weather is fine.

Who got fined?

By the end kit is clear the old floks are in Heaven, the DJ is in Hell.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,901.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But is heaven a place or a state of mind/being? Getting to run through the woods chasing prey is a pretty nice deal for the dogs. Hell for their prey.

I remember a TV episode. I'm leaning toward Night Gallery. A Shock DJ type gets dumped into a room with old people whose conversations go like this:

How is Heather?

Yes the weather is fine.

Who got fined?

By the end kit is clear the old floks are in Heaven, the DJ is in Hell.
Dante's hell is a place.

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Rod" is a symbol of authority.

Psalms 23,
Your rod and staff they comfort me.

post #3 is on right track.
What symbol are sticks then since picking them is punishable by death during Sabbath?
Everything is symbolical right

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟488,901.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What symbol are sticks then since picking them is punishable by death during Sabbath?
You don't support people being killed for picking up sticks on a holy day. You don't support children being put to death for disobeying. You don't support women being stoned for being raped inside a city.

Yet you say that corporeal discipline is a-okay because it's the biblical thing to do.

It's glaringly obvious that you are just following your own moral compass and using cherry-picked bible verses as an ostensible reason to give your opinion a veneer of objective truth.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

The question here is if it is permissable to punish by hurting a child.

What if it is permissable, under one condition, that being,

Only if it hurts and is painful for the one dishing it out.

How would you then read the verse you quoted?

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The question here is if it is permissable to punish by hurting a child.

What if it is permissable, under one condition, that being,

Only if it hurts and is painful for the one dishing it out.

How would you then read the verse you quoted?
Ye you should spank the child for wrong doing or for its own good.
The only place I personally accept is the place used for sitting and maybe hands.

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You don't support people being killed for picking up sticks on a holy day. You don't support children being put to death for disobeying. You don't support women being stoned for being raped inside a city.

Yet you say that corporeal discipline is a-okay because it's the biblical thing to do.

It's glaringly obvious that you are just following your own moral compass and using cherry-picked bible verses as an ostensible reason to give your opinion a veneer of objective truth.
Who said I don't support that?
If it's God who said not to do it then don't do it simple , 100% support for what.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Ye you should spank the child for wrong doing or for its own good.
The only place I personally accept is the place used for sitting and maybe hands.

Children are supposed to be a gift not a burden.

My prayer for many yesrs was that I be granted one ounze of my fathers patience.

We were eight children, his authority was in the tone he used.

In a household it is not the chilldren who make the rules.

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Children are supposed to be a gift not a burden.

My prayer for many yesrs was that I be granted one ounze of my fathers patience.

We were eight children, his authority was in the tone he used.

In a household it is not the chilldren who make the rules.

Some people don't need spanking some do need.
But mostly why disobedient childrens are nowdays is because of broken families , average time of marriage is 2-3 years or man abandons girl after making child and she is raising up a kid who has no male authority in his day to day basis and acts spoiled by the mother most of time.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Some people don't need spanking some do need.
But mostly why disobedient childrens are nowdays is because of broken families , average time of marriage is 2-3 years or man abandons girl after making child and she is raising up a kid who has no male authority in his day to day basis and acts spoiled by the mother most of time.

Yes, there is a lot in what you say, but in ground and bottom it is hardly the childrens fault.

Upvote 0

Froggymom101

Jan 29, 2019
Flat Rock
✟10,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a difficult question to answer since there are a number of variables such as age of child, offence etc... My guide has always been to respond with love but also justice. You might want to check out focus on family 7 traits of effective parenting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some recent research:
Does 'harsh parenting' lead to smaller brains?
MRI images of smaller brain structures in youth who have experienced harsh parenting practices. Credit: Sabrina Suffren
doesharshpar.jpg

Repeatedly getting angry, hitting, shaking or yelling at children is linked with smaller brain structures in adolescence, according to a new study published in Development and Psychology.​

Upvote 0