Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope. The gifts--miraculous gifts--are enumerated in Corinthians...and being made a church leader is not among them.
That's odd. I tend to think that enumerations usually begin with the number one. And you might be surprised to learn that two usually comes next. Here's what Paul said:

"And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles...Now eagerly desire the greater gifts."

Sorry I generally don't entertain random conclusions without recourse to the immediate context.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And there is no reason to talk as though some "immaturity" concerning a single congregation is the same thing as the need for getting Christ's church established and secure in a hostile world originally.
This makes no sense. The cessationist CLAIM is that "the gifts were needed to authenticate to our eyes the true church. Then they died out."

Huh? How does that help the prospective convert today? There are tons of denominations, religions, cults, etc. If the gifts are NEEDED to establish in his eyes which church is the true church, they are THEREFORE still needed today.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Who are these cessationists that say the gifts ceased when "churchwide unity" ...
Unity? I said "churchwide maturity".
.. was achieved in the early church? Don't tell me you're lying yet again. The only cessationist scholar I know that said something similar is Robert Thomas, and if it is he who you are referring to then you have grossly misrepresented him (not the first time you've done that). Thomas said the gifts would cease once a certain level of maturity was reached, and that step was achieved when the church had the completed canon.
And Thomas' cessationist conclusion on 13:8-12 - understandable because he dug himself into a hole - nonetheless constitutes heresy. His understanding is that "The mature" arrives to do away with "The immature" (thus far we agree). In his view this means do away with prophecy because the church now, in his view, has a greater maturity than prophethood. Thus prophethood was "the immature" done away.

Do you see why this is heresy? Lamentably, even poor Jesus was trapped in "The immature" (the state of prophethood) and was thus unable to attain to "the mature" state of today's church. He never measured up to the average believer of today - not even the new converts. Shame on Him!

Now contrast that malarkey with MY position. MY claim is that Christ's prophethood is precisely the spiritual epitomy - it is THE standard of "mature" - for us all to attain to!

Wonder which of those two opposing positions is more biblical? Boy, that's a tough one! That quandary is going to keep me tossing and turning all night long!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This makes no sense. The cessationist CLAIM is that "the gifts were needed to authenticate to our eyes the true church. Then they died out."
I didn't say that, and I don't know that most cessationists do either. It certainly is not essential to the cessationist POV.

Huh? How does that help the prospective convert today.?
It may not, but neither is the idea of helping the prospective convert of today essential to the view we call cessationism.

It may be something that you or continuationists in general believe, but that's not part of our discussion here.

What is essential is what I have pointed to several times already--did they cease as a feature of the church or did they not?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say that, and I don't know that most cessationists do either. It certainly is not essential to the cessationist POV.
You talked about establishing the church in a hostile world. What then did you mean by that?

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is essential is what I have pointed to several times already--did they cease as a feature of the church or did they not?
No did they not. The fact that a quarterback is out sick or even died in a car accident doesn't mean that quarterbacks "ceased as a feature of that team." The vacancy rather points to a current lack of a qualified and/or elected candidate.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No did they not. The fact that a quarterback is out sick or even died in a car accident doesn't mean that quarterbacks "ceased as a feature of that team."
No one is arguing that if the number of people receiving the gifts is reduced only slightly that this would amount to a cessation. It obviously would not. Nor is anyone arguing that the very same individuals must have lived from the first century continuously until the present or, if not, that this proves cessationism.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am on the fence between Cessationism and Continuationism.
While I lean more towards Cessationism, I do consider the possibility that Continuationism could be true. My biblical case for Cessationism can be found here:

Cessationism: Tongues, Prophecy, and the Gift of Miracles Have Ceased.

Can you rebuttal the points I made in this thread?
Can you also make a good case for Continuationism?

Well I can’t say for sure that miracles have ceased completely but they appear to be much less prominent than they were during Jesus’ and His apostles’ ministry. We certainly don’t see blind men immediately receiving sight or paralyzed people get up and start walking. If miracles do still exist today they certainly seem to be a lot more subtle than before. To me it appears that God does not want to exhibit conclusive evidence of His existence in these present times unlike during biblical times where God made His existence undoubtedly known on several occasions. I’m not sure why this is, but perhaps He knew that in order for His word to last throughout the ages He would have to provide irrefutable evidence over and over again over a long duration of time witnessed by countless individuals in order for His word to have any weight in the latter years before His return. Personally I don’t think miracles have ceased I think they have only become more subtle and particularly noticeable by believers.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one is arguing that if the number of people receiving the gifts is reduced only slightly that this would amount to a cessation. It obviously would not. Nor is anyone arguing that the very same individuals must have lived from the first century continuously until the present or, if not, that this proves cessationism.
I don't see the point in debating a clear non-sequitur. Today's lack of qualified candidates - coupled with the church's lack of sufficient divine favor for God to raise them up - simply is not proof of cessationism. Again, the very cessationists who regard the Old Testament as a viable instruction manual for upwards of 1,000 years are asking us to believe that Paul's definition of a church (apostles, prophets, etc) expired a few years after he penned it. Totally ridiculous.

And then they make up their own defintion of church gov.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't see the point in debating a clear non-sequitur. Today's lack of qualified candidates - coupled with the church's lack of sufficient divine favor for God to raise them up - simply is not proof of cessationism.
One more time now...

Try on the claim that if the gifts as named in Corinthians ceased, the "cessationists" are right. Otherwise, we might as well call almost anything that is mentioned in Scripture a "gift of the Holy Spirit" in order to proclaim the continuationists correct.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I can’t say for sure that miracles have ceased completely but they appear to be much less prominent than they were during Jesus’ and His apostles’ ministry. We certainly don’t see blind men immediately receiving sight or paralyzed people get up and start walking. If miracles do still exist today they certainly seem to be a lot more subtle than before. To me it appears that God does not want to exhibit conclusive evidence of His existence in these present times unlike during biblical times where God made His existence undoubtedly known on several occasions. I’m not sure why this is, but perhaps He knew that in order for His word to last throughout the ages He would have to provide irrefutable evidence over and over again over a long duration of time witnessed by countless individuals in order for His word to have any weight in the latter years before His return. Personally I don’t think miracles have ceased I think they have only become more subtle and particularly noticeable by believers.

Cessationism is not saying that miracles in general by God have ceased. Cessationism is saying that the miraculous sign gifts given to believers has ceased (like the gift of speaking in tongues, and a person always having the ability to heal 100% of the time). Cessationism is not saying ALL gifts by the Spirit have ended either. Only the miraculous sign gifts have ceased. Believers still can have the gift of teaching, evangelism, etc.

I believe God still heals today, and He can do wondrous things. The sign gifts given to the early church was to confirm the Word (Mark 16:20) and it was a sign to the Jew at that time. For Jews look for signs (1 Corinthians 1:22). These signs were a warning to them to accept their Messiah, and it was a warning in that their Jewish temple was going to be destroyed (of which was destroyed in 70AD).

While I do leave room for mystery and that I could be wrong by a small percentage, I do lean heavily towards Cessationism based on the testimony of Scripture. If you are interested, check out my post here to another poster here (within this thread) to learn more, my friend.

Peace, and blessings be unto you in the Lord.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One more time now...

Try on the claim that if the gifts as named in Corinthians ceased, the "cessationists" are right. Otherwise, we might as well call almost anything that is mentioned in Scripture a "gift of the Holy Spirit" in order to proclaim the continuationists correct.
We've been over this. One more time. The cessationist claim is that the gifts ceased irrevocably. That's like arguing: My kitchen faucet isn't flowing any water today. It's broken. Therefore the flow of water has ceased irrevocably. Huh?

Are you not clear on the concept of a non-sequitur?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Um..extrapolation isn't lying.
You didn't extrapolate, you told a porky. You said, "your point is that anything prior to 1897 MUST be dismissed as insignificant - including all the church fathers." I made no such "point". It's a case of blatant dishonesty.

If I want my words "extrapolated" I'll ask you, ok. It won't be anytime soon because what you call "extrapolating", everyone else would call "twisting".

What is the foundation? You reply by citing a verse:
That's the verse in ambiguity here. The challenge is to INTERPRET the verse, not to REPEAT the verse. Believe it or not, I can get a copy of the verse on my own. Let's cut to the chase. You were give four questions. You didn't provide clear answers to all four.

That's what a moving target does. He can always address some of the questions at any time. But to answer them ALL together at once exposes the contradictions. Conclusion: Non-responsive on your part. As predicted.
It's not my fault that you cannot understand the plain meaning of scripture. But if you want me to spell it out for you....
(1) the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.
(2) God
(3) One
(4) The same foundation

OK?

Read Rom 15. It was REGIONAL. (Apparently Paul didn't think it was a silly question).
And where in Rom 15 does Paul say 2 or more foundations are laid on top of each other?
Oh that's right, nowhere. So yes your question was silly.

He is NOT only described as the cornerstone.
Yes, he is in Eph 2:20. That is what the verse says. To make it say Christ is also the rest of the foundation, you have to "read it into" the text. A classic case of eisegesis.

Again, I named 7 overlapping roles that David assigned to the Lord. Here's another example:

"They drank [Living Water] from the spiritual Rock that accompanied them, and the Rock was Christ".

He is BOTH the Rock AND the Living Water AND the Living Bread that came down from heaven. Again, don't chastise Paul for placing Christ at the center and forefront of all things. Your issue is with Paul, not with me.

Non sequitur. It does not follow that because God or anyone else has multiple descriptions in other unrelated scriptures, that here in Eph 2:20 it must mean Christ is both cornerstone and foundation, when it only states he is the cornerstone. Yet another fallacy of yours exposed.

Again, show me a grammar book that so establishes. That's a standard role for the genitive - and even your own scholars did not deny that fact.
Your example of the word 'foundation' is poor grammar. To point out which builder laid a particular foundation you wouldn't naturally say "That is the foundation of Bartlett and Son". That is unnatural and confusing to say the least. If you wanted to be clearly understood you would say "That is the foundation LAID by Bartlett and Son". The same as Paul would have written if that was what he meant.

Um...extrapolation isn't lying.
You said "He admits that Paul's other verses on "foundation" contradict cessationism". In truth he said nothing of the sort, not even if you "extrapolate" (twist) his words. You were lying.

Hohner made no mention of cessationism. Nor is he known for being a cessationist.

Uh..er..why does he "defend" his position by claiming that Paul suddenly changed his meaning/usage of "foundation"?
Where exactly does Hoehner say Paul "suddenly changed" his usage of the word "foundation" in Eph 2:20?". Oh wait..don't tell me.....you were "extrapolating". Yep, we all know what that means.

Remember it's not just Hoehner who agrees with me on Eph 2:20, the vast majority of modern Greek scholars side with MY reading of the verse, not yours. All authoritative sources.

Let's be adults here - no need for dancing.
No need for lying either.

Except the CONTEXT begins at 14:1 addressed to the whole congregation.
You clearly have no understanding of hermeneutics (why does that not surprise me). Near context takes precedence over wider context. Hermeneutics 101.

Already addressed. Talk about ignoring the context!
All you did was quote the verse, you made no comment on it! Tell us what you think it means then.

Um..er... and maturity is one of His criteria. See numbers 12:6-8.
Um...er....there is no mention of maturity in that passage.

Logically impossible based on several facts indicated in the text.
You don't think the Corinthians were spiritually immature? Then let me take you to...

1 Cor 3:1-3 But I, brothers, could not address you as spiritual people, but as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ. I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it. And even now you are not yet ready, for you are still of the flesh.

Oh I don't just accuse them. I don't just hurl unfounded accusations (like some people on this forum are fond of doing), I actually ARGUE my case. I EXPOSE obvious fallacies in their reasonings.
But isn't it strange that virtually no scholars agree with your theories. You would think if your ideas had any merit at least some scholars would have latched onto them and be advocating them. Why do you think that might be? Let me give you a clue......perhaps it has something to do with the fact your theories have been looked at before and quickly dismissed because they have proved to be exegetically bogus.

Your assessment here is 100% backwards. Cost them their jobs? Let me enlighten you on how it works. The people who lose their jobs (and/or their very lives) are the ones who buck the institution. Those who kiss up to it - even at the cost of bad hermeneutics - are the ones who KEEP their jobs. That's one reason it took 1500 years for the Reformation to introduce some positive changes.
And how ironic it is that a few posts back here you were hailing them as being "authoritative sources" because you thought they agreed with you. And now when we discover they don't, you now reject them all as now part of a giant cessationist conspiracy theory. Oh the hypocrisy.

And I have a whole thread demonstrating that Paul defined maturity (coincided maturity rather) in terms of a proliferation of the gifts (consistent with Num 12:6-8). Since the Corinthians were immature, they did NOT proliferate in the gifts. Six key posts on that thread: Post 7, and Post 33, and Post 46, and Post 47, and post 52, and post 58. I'll even grant that the Corinthians featured in a full DIVERSITY of gifts (that's the nature of apostolic churches) - as an assembly they didn't LACK any of the gifts - but certainly did not have a superabundance of the gifts, defined in terms of frequency of manifestation, premium-grade Direct Revelation, and so on.
Thanks, but knowing your fondness for "extrapolating" and wholesale engagement in exegetical and logical fallacies, I don't think I can bothered spending more hours sifting through dozens more errors.

• Winner
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian

The cessationist claim is that certain gifts died out, as history proves, and have remained that way right up to today. The claims of a restoration of those gifts in the last 100 years are bogus because what we see today does not match the biblical description of those gifts.

Huh? How does that help the prospective convert today? There are tons of denominations, religions, cults, etc. If the gifts are NEEDED to establish in his eyes which church is the true church, they are THEREFORE still needed today.

Easy - you give them a bible. It contains an infallible record of dozens of miracles authenticating the Christian church. More than anyone would need. They will be convinced it is the truth by the inward witness of the Holy Spirit (you now know what that is, thanks to me).

"....but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name."

• Agree
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Unity? I said "churchwide maturity".
Misread.

In his view this means do away with prophecy because the church now, in his view, has a greater maturity than prophethood. Thus prophethood was "the immature" done away.

Do you see why this is heresy? Lamentably, even poor Jesus was trapped in "The immature" (the state of prophethood) and was thus unable to attain to "the mature" state of today's church. He never measured up to the average believer of today - not even the new converts. Shame on Him!

You are "extrapolating" again right? ie putting words in Thomas' mouth. I'm quite sure he never said that; but rather it was the church that was immature, not the gifts. I believe Thomas' argument (not mine) was that teleios should be translated as 'maturity' and the church gained a certain level of maturity when the canon was completed, and thus prophecy and tongues ceased.

• Agree
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
Again, the very cessationists who regard the Old Testament as a viable instruction manual for upwards of 1,000 years are asking us to believe that Paul's definition of a church (apostles, prophets, etc) expired a few years after he penned it. Totally ridiculous.

So where are the apostles? Where are the prophets? (according to the biblical descriptions of those gifts). They are nowhere to be seen. They ceased. You might give a different reason for their cessation than I would but that doesn't alter the fact that they ceased. So you too believe in cessationism. Maybe it was something to do with Paul saying they were the foundation of the church.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
We've been over this. One more time. The cessationist claim is that the gifts ceased irrevocably. That's like arguing: My kitchen faucet isn't flowing any water today. It's broken. Therefore the flow of water has ceased irrevocably. Huh?

God can do whatever he likes in the future, he is God after all. But there is no mention of a restoration of gifts in scripture (the latter rain argument is bogus imho). So unless and until that day comes...all we have is cessationism.

Upvote 0