✟6,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I also want to post something for joy!

I was raised in the prosperity gospel tradition. Later, that became Pentecostal, then non-denominational, reformed, etc. I even explored Reformed and Orthodox Judaism.

I had been exposed to Orthodox (Christianity) over the years through books I read, specifically, "Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells" by Matthew Gallatin. I had been the best man at my brother's wedding in a Greek Orthodox Church (he had married a Greek) and as is the case with many, their encounter with Orthodoxy in practice left them changed forever. I understand now why when so many people inquire into what Orthodoxy is like, they are advised, "come and see." There is no substitute for the Liturgy in understanding Orthodoxy!

When I lived on the east coast, a few years ago (originally from California) I consistently attended a Coptic Church, among others. I had explored Catholicism as well, but I just didn't sense the same "favor" on my life. I always get along with Orthodox people, and well, in my understanding of Christianity, I "follow the favor." Where people are treating you well and where there is a natural rapport, you go with it. I never had that in Catholicism or with their priests, and so it just fell away.

Out here in Arizona, I had been attending a Reformed church for awhile (sorry, I know my religious journey is intense!). I really wanted to stay in Protestantism in the sense that I didn't want to fight against something that I felt could be God's will for me. Maybe I was running from something instead of running TO something, I reasoned. I wanted to make sure I exhausted the Protestant experience before moving on to what I really wanted to do.

In private, I have told myself the last few years, "If I could be any religion, I would be Eastern Orthodox." Because I have bipolar disorder, I sometimes feel that maybe God is controlling in an unhealthy way and doesn't allow you to make your own decisions in terms of religion, location, or career. And most of my adult life, as you can read here, I was so hyperfocused on religion that I made it a god. I had trusted in churches and systems of faith to save me from my mental illness and even from my battles with carnality, but there is no blanket solution.

I feel like I am much more prepared to enter Orthodoxy, in light of this, because I have a healthier approach. That is, I know that life is a multifaceted enterprise and that joining Orthodoxy is not going to solve all of my problems. Yet, it is the system that makes the most sense to me. This morning, I went to liturgy, and something just clicked. It's so weird in that when I was first exploring Orthodoxy like eight years ago, I attended my first liturgy, and I commented to the parish educational director, "it just felt weird." And her response, which turned out to be SO correct, was to relate the story of how her nephew came to Orthodoxy and what he said in response to the liturgy seeming weird. He said, "well, you just have to keep coming until it stops being weird." What wisdom from such a young guy!

I have always had such favor with Orthodox people. The worship is so deep. I hope to be an Orthodox Christian for the rest of my life. And the reason this post might not even be appropriate is, I am not even Orthodox! I would like to become a catechumen, or whatever the word is for a Trinitarian Christian who is not Orthodox. I am sure this is the path I want to go down. Since this part of the EO forum is for edification, I just thought I would post this even though I am not (yet) converted!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also want to post something for joy!

I was raised in the prosperity gospel tradition. Later, that became Pentecostal, then non-denominational, reformed, etc. I even explored Reformed and Orthodox Judaism.

I had been exposed to Orthodox (Christianity) over the years through books I read, specifically, "Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells" by Matthew Gallatin. I had been the best man at my brother's wedding in a Greek Orthodox Church (he had married a Greek) and as is the case with many, their encounter with Orthodoxy in practice left them changed forever. I understand now why when so many people inquire into what Orthodoxy is like, they are advised, "come and see." There is no substitute for the Liturgy in understanding Orthodoxy!

When I lived on the east coast, a few years ago (originally from California) I consistently attended a Coptic Church, among others. I had explored Catholicism as well, but I just didn't sense the same "favor" on my life. I always get along with Orthodox people, and well, in my understanding of Christianity, I "follow the favor." Where people are treating you well and where there is a natural rapport, you go with it. I never had that in Catholicism or with their priests, and so it just fell away.

Out here in Arizona, I had been attending a Reformed church for awhile (sorry, I know my religious journey is intense!). I really wanted to stay in Protestantism in the sense that I didn't want to fight against something that I felt could be God's will for me. Maybe I was running from something instead of running TO something, I reasoned. I wanted to make sure I exhausted the Protestant experience before moving on to what I really wanted to do.

In private, I have told myself the last few years, "If I could be any religion, I would be Eastern Orthodox." Because I have bipolar disorder, I sometimes feel that maybe God is controlling in an unhealthy way and doesn't allow you to make your own decisions in terms of religion, location, or career. And most of my adult life, as you can read here, I was so hyperfocused on religion that I made it a god. I had trusted in churches and systems of faith to save me from my mental illness and even from my battles with carnality, but there is no blanket solution.

I feel like I am much more prepared to enter Orthodoxy, in light of this, because I have a healthier approach. That is, I know that life is a multifaceted enterprise and that joining Orthodoxy is not going to solve all of my problems. Yet, it is the system that makes the most sense to me. This morning, I went to liturgy, and something just clicked. It's so weird in that when I was first exploring Orthodoxy like eight years ago, I attended my first liturgy, and I commented to the parish educational director, "it just felt weird." And her response, which turned out to be SO correct, was to relate the story of how her nephew came to Orthodoxy and what he said in response to the liturgy seeming weird. He said, "well, you just have to keep coming until it stops being weird." What wisdom from such a young guy!

I have always had such favor with Orthodox people. The worship is so deep. I hope to be an Orthodox Christian for the rest of my life. And the reason this post might not even be appropriate is, I am not even Orthodox! I would like to become a catechumen, or whatever the word is for a Trinitarian Christian who is not Orthodox. I am sure this is the path I want to go down. Since this part of the EO forum is for edification, I just thought I would post this even though I am not (yet) converted!
welcome! let us know how your journey goes!

Upvote 0