Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Most, if not all of us here are converts. It seems we are from different backgrounds, different regions, different countries. But our lives have all converged on one point: our being Orthodox Christians.

So, how did you get to be here?

My story's a little unusual, but I'll post mine later. First I want to hear stories from others. Come on, don't be shy. :)

(If The Powers That Be want to make this a sticky so that it'll be available for visitors' perusal, that's fine. ;) )

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I told mine one time and got taken to task for part of it, so I will give an abbreviated version.

I tried to get into the Catholic Church, but was denied due to a divorce (the marriage was before I ever even considered becoming a Christian). I am currently married with 2 children. Anyway, a friend of mine (a non-Christian at that) advised me to check out the Orthodox Church instead. I had never heard of it, but there were several in the area (Boulder-Denver), so I looked into it. I fell in love immediately, and realized that it was exactly what I was looking for, more so than the Catholic Church in its current state, which is not at all what my romantic vision of it from childhood entailed. (What I mean is the massive changes post-Vatican II. ) My only dilemma was Eastern Rite or Western Rite, since I had both to choose from. My prior divorce was not the issue it was for the Catholics. I am very, very happy in the Western Rite parish I am in, since it more than fulfills all those longings I had for the old Catholic Church. I think with awe about the fact that if the Catholic Church had let me in, I may never have come into contact with Orthodoxy. I believe God was guiding me.

Upvote 0

Epiphany

Multiple of the Way
Jan 25, 2004
Sol III, Northern Hemisphere
Visit site
✟436.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Matrona said:
Most, if not all of us here are converts. It seems we are from different backgrounds, different regions, different countries. But our lives have all converged on one point: our being Orthodox Christians.

So, how did you get to be here?

My story's a little unusual, but I'll post mine later. First I want to hear stories from others. Come on, don't be shy. :)

(If The Powers That Be want to make this a sticky so that it'll be available for visitors' perusal, that's fine. ;) )
To Life Immortal

My testimony is in the testimony folder in this forum. To make a long story short, Orthodoxy is logical. I enjoy the Divine Liturgy and find meaning in it. It is like watching an opera about Lord Jesus.

Peace and Long Life
~*~ Epiphany ~*~

Reactions: Ailanthus
Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Apparently no one else is willing to bite the bullet, so I'll go. :)

My parents are what you'd call "cultural Christians", sort of a phenomenon of living here in the South. We went to church for a while starting when I was about seven or eight (1990-ish), and ending in 1995. It was non-denominational "contemporary" church that met in a private school's auditorium. I remember being very bored by it. My parents never discussed religion outside of church, and I have to say, they didn't really live it, either--they say terrible swear words as everyday language, and there are many other justifications for my saying this that I shouldn't really go into in public.

I had no idea who this Jesus was, or why the hell I should care. Before we started going to this church, "Jesus" was just some name I heard sometimes at school or on TV. "Jesus" was what my parents yelled if they hit their fingers on a door or something like that.

The Gospel According to Courtney:

In Sunday school I learned that Jesus was this really nice guy who lived a long time ago. He had a lot of good things to say, but for some reason some people didn't like him, so they nailed him to a cross and let him die on a Friday. They stuck him in a tomb somewhere and he lay dead until Sunday morning, when, for some reason, he actually came back to life, got up, and walked out. Then some women came and saw the tomb with the stone sealing it rolled to the side. An angel came up and said something like, "Hey, this guy rose from the dead, so he ain't here, sorry." And God saw that it was cool. The end.

Yes, I'm serious, that's about all I knew of the Gospel until I was, well, shall we say, old enough that I should have known better. But no one was fussed with making sure I was aware of the finer points of such things as these, and I was therefore not fussed wth learning them.

To go into more detail about this church, I have to say, at least they understood the importance of giving communion every week. Sure, it was a wafer and a little shotglass of grape juice, and I neither understood the significance of it nor why I wasn't allowed to partake. When I was ten or eleven, we were finally allowed to take communion in my Sunday school class. (Until I became Orthodox, that was the first and last time I'd taken communion. Ever. Anywhere.) I still didn't know what the significance was or why our teacher apologized in advance for having us take communion if it turned out we weren't ready. This confused me for years, I'm telling you. If you are wondering, no, I was not baptized, at that point or any other. I also don't ever remember saying anything called a "sinners prayer" but I might have, I don't know.

I received a Bible when I was ten, a gift from the church for memorizing all the books of the New Testament. I treasured (and still have, somewhere) that Bible. Even though I still didn't have any idea what it all meant. It was like there was some block on my mind, that made words from Scripture run through my head, in one ear and out the other, with no comprehension or understanding.

Not long after that, though, my family decided to stop going to church. The "official reason" was because my parents perceived some slight against them as being personal. Something bad happened in my hometown at that time, and my family was one of the ones affected severely. It was extremely painful for us, and I think it was compounded by the lack of spiritual support caused by no longer going to any kind of church.

Those were painful years, believe me. I praise the Lord for His mercy upon me during this time, because church or no church, the little I had learned from going had had an effect on me, and I continued to pray in secret. I wasn't entirely sure who I was talking to or why I had to talk to Him this way. Or why I even thought He existed, since I'd never seen Him or heard Him talk back.

There were times I drifted towards very, uh, human-manufactured personal philosophies--like most teenage girls I researched a little on paganism, wicca, etc. For a little bit I flirted with secular humanism. But I guess God had some kind of hold on me because everything just kept coming back to this Jesus guy and the Christian God. So I resolved to one day become a Christian. That day wasn't going to come soon, since my parents weren't exactly crazy about the idea of going back to church. But I would one day investigate all the Christian denominations and figure out which one I liked the most, and become whatever it was.

The center of this was my desire to be baptized. It would be a looooong time before I ever found out on an intellectual level what it really means to be baptized. But somewhere in my heart I knew there was a difference between me, and baptized Christians, and I needed to be one.

It was then that my sister announced her intention to become a Mormon, which she followed through with on her eighteenth birthday. She deconverted not long after going off to college. I have gone into more detail about this elsewhere, but suffice it to say, I managed to withstand, with my baby Christian faith, the proselytizing that I was subjected to by my sister's Mormon missionary friends. Thank the Lord.

In the middle of all of this, I became pro-life. I'm not sure how--my parents are fervently pro-abortion and raised me to be the same. (As they say, that's just the first of many ways I've disappointed them over the years.) Anyone who has been out from under a rock for longer than five seconds knows that the pro-life movement is predominantly Christian. When I went off to college, I became involved with my campus's pro-life group. At the first meeting, when we were asked to cite a reason why we were pro-life, I was the only one--and I mean the ONLY one--who didn't specify religion. One of the guys there decided I must be a heathen, and began to evangelize to me. I rolled my eyes at him but decided to go to this "Campus Crusade" meeting he invited me to, just to get him to shut up. (Besides, he was kind of cute.)

Well, was THAT ever an experience. They sang "praise and worship" songs I had no idea of the lyrics of, but everyone else seemed so impassioned by it, raising their hands, etc., that I figured I had to be in the right place. After all, they could tell me more about this Jesus guy that I didn't know. Who was he? Why is he so important? Why do we follow him? Why does God have a son? The tragedy of September 11th had just happened a few weeks before, and for obvious reasons I wasn't the only one seeking answers to these questions.

But as my months with Campus Crusade wore on, I felt a spiritual stagnation come upon me--these people had no answers, they just had more of the "Jesus is a nice guy" stories. No word on the importance of the Crucifixion or the Resurrection. All they told me was that Jesus dying on the cross somehow "paid the debt" for my sins. Their characterization of God was some kind of creditor in the sky, waiting to zap his underlings for being naughty, and the only thing that stopped him doing it was some guy who was nailed to a cross 2000 years ago.

At that point, it's a wonder I didn't give up on organized religion altogether.

I think the last straw for me was when I was emphatically encouraged to go on a mission trip to convert other people. Wait a minute--I barely know anything about what I'm supposed to believe, how the hell am I supposed to convert other people to this? It's bad enough that I'm stuck in it--I'm supposed to curse other people to this ecclesiastical limbo, this strange middle ground? No... no, I wasn't going to do it. I was going to find a church, right then and there. And whatever it was, was going to tell me all these things I'd missed over the years, the things no one at Campus Crusade found important enough to tell me. (Or rather, found me important enough to make sure I knew, but I digress...)

About this time, I had been reading Frederica Mathewes-Green's pro-life works for a long time and had started to touch on her religious works. The idea of "Orthodoxy" confused me. What an odd thing--a Christian denomination I'd barely ever heard of.

My sophomore year had just begun and my university was having a student organization fair, where students could come check out the different organizations on campus. The table I was running was in the bright summer sun, and directly behind me, in the shade, was the table for Orthodox Christian Fellowship. I was in the sun, they were in the shade--it doesn't take a genius to say, maybe I should take a break and check out their table for awhile, hmm? And yet aside from that, I felt a strange urge to go to their table, specifically. Theirs was the closest but not the only one in the shade. There were plenty of other groups I could have checked out. And of course, Campus Crusade was in there somewhere.

Anyway, there was a nice, friendly-looking guy working their table, so I decided I'd strike up a conversation with him and see if he had read anything of Frederica Mathewes-Green's pro-life writings. Somehow, the conversation ended up being about Orthodoxy and since I was looking for a church anyway, I figured I might as well look at these Orthodox churches too. I had been about to visit the Episcopal cathedral close to campus, but I decided I'd hold off on that for awhile until I saw what these Orthodox people were all about. Also, if nothing else, visiting an Orthodox church would be an interesting story to tell my kids one day. ("When Mommy was in college, she visited this craaaaazy church....") I got the nice guy's name and number and decided I would go to an OCF meeting to see what they were all about.

My table had been staffed by myself and a devout Catholic woman. On the walk back from the organization fair, she and I discussed religion, and she offered to get me in touch with a Catholic priest. I got her priest's name and number too. But when I finally got up the nerve to call up the priest that Friday, at the appointed time she'd given me... there was no answer. 'How strange is that,' I thought. 'Well, I still have this Orthodox thing to go to on Monday. I guess I'll do that.'

To be continued... ;)

Upvote 0

ChoirDir

Choir Director
Jan 19, 2004
South Carolina
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
My conversion to Orthodoxy begins in 1979. I was a NYC Paramedic at the time and one of my instructors in the academy was a Sub-Deacon in the Orthodox Church. Pete and I became close during my orientation classes and we got to talking about what we do after the job. He mentioned that he was very involved with his church and would hold little clinics to check parishioners blood pressures. He told me they were having one of these clinics on the weekend and that afterwards there would be vespers and a guest speaker was coming to the church.
I was a disenchanted Catholic by birth. The radical changes brought about by Vatican II left me empty inside. The Catholic Church services now seemed so Protestant to me. The idea of my next door neighbor giving communion somehow lessened the spirituality of the sacrament. The guitars and drums that replaced the choir seemed so out of place. Women on the altar did not appear right after being educated when the Church was so different before Vatican II.
But there was an emptiness inside because I wanted to be a part of something. So off I went to meet Pete. His parish was made up of a lot of older Slavic people and they loved the idea of Pete bringing some of his paramedic buddies to assist.
The vespers service was something that reminded me of the old days in the Catholic Church. A dark church lit with candles and the chanting and sensor awoke something inside me that had laid dorment for many years.
Well a year had passed and I met a woman who I fell in love with and it turned out she was Orthodox. We were married in the Orthodox Church in 1982. I remember the priest and I discussing Orthodoxy and this began my true inquiry and journey to becoming Orthodox.
To be continued

Upvote 0

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Suzannah said:
Matrona! when???? You can't leave me hanging like this...it's cruel. Plain cruelty. I'm dying to know what happened! (I haven't had the courage to post mine, but I promise I will, after I get the sequel to your post.)
:grin:
Awww, thanks Suzannah. :)

I would have sat here and finished it, but I have to study for a quiz this afternoon ( :tremble: ) and in about half an hour, I have to go with Nice OCF Guy (from the story) to a prayer service for OCF college ministry. ;) Without OCF, I wouldn't be here, so I feel a special responsibility to speak out on its behalf and support this program whenever and wherever I can.

I will try to finish, or at least post more of it, tonight. In some ways this part is going to be even more difficult than the part I've already written.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChoirDir

Choir Director
Jan 19, 2004
South Carolina
Visit site
✟15,652.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Pt 2
My talks with the priest continued and several months after my marriage came Pascha. My first experience with the Feast of Feasts was a major turn in my life. All these people proclaiming and shouting the joy of Christ's Resurrection. To me I had never experienced this before. The Catholic Church always focused on the sufferings of our Lord, but this joy in his death and resurrection was something that set my soul on fire. After talking with the Priest, and learning that in the old days Catachumens were received on Holy Saturday. I made it my quest to convert in a years time. My wife however wasn't too crazy about this. She told me she was sick of church that her parents had forced it down her throat since she was little and she certainly didn't want to be married to a convert. (In her eyes converts were worse than Cradle Orthodox because of their zeal). In an effort to keep my marriage happy I postponed my conversion but still studied and attended services most times by myself but occasionally with her as well. Finally after a few years of this, I saw that she wasn't going to change her mind and I was still adamant about converting. So I told her I was going on with my conversion. Well after I converted she rarely if ever went to Church with me. I guess the nail in the coffin was when her father passed away. He was very respected in the Church and was given a wonderful send off. The priest insisted that his body lie in the church for 24 hours before the funeral. At the end of the funeral service, my wife in her grief or just her way of thinking proclaimed to everyone "there is no God, or he wouldn't have taken my father." Things went downhill from there in the marriage and we split and divorced in 1999. But it was for the better. I moved to SC where I found a new mission parish in need of my musical talents and I have since met a wonderful woman who now is interested in joining the faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NewToLife

Senior Veteran
Jan 29, 2004
London
✟11,839.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I've never fully analysed my reasons for conversion before but here's a vague account.

I was a protestant who initially accepted sola fide and sola scriptura but I've never been one to have someone tell me what to believe as I've always been able to find reasons to distrust the authority of those doing the telling. This meant that I made a commitment to bible study and over time I came to question many of the things that protestantism accepts as true.

I could not accept sola scriptura after a time as it gave rise to so many differing interpretations all held by people who felt that they had been guided to their view by the indwelling holy spirit. I could never accept that He would tell us all different versions and lead some astray.

After a time I found also the issue of baptism troubling, I was firmly in favour of infant baptism but found the practice of confirmation quite unjustifiable. Once baptised I always believed a child ought to be in full communion with the church, to do otherwise seemed to me to devalue the nature of baptism itself.

For me it was obvious that the church ought to be a critical part of a christian life, many evangelicals that I knew held a vague view of the church that I found deeply unsatisfying and stressed only a personal relationship with Christ. For me the community of the church was obviously important but often seemed ignored within evangelicalism. I became disillusioned as the evangelicals that I knew were able to justify doctrinal corruption within our church on the basis of the churches relative lack of import.

After a time I began to research catholicism with a view to conversion, although I found much to commend in catholicism there were a number of recent dogmas that I was simply unable to accept as the truth. This discovery shook my faith for a time as I began to believe that God may have failed in His promise to protect His church, I drifted spiritually and became depressed.

Then I discovered orthodoxy, I found a church that had protected its faith for 2 millenia where the church was as central as I'd come to believe it ought to be and where neither love nor truth was sacrificed. Even my old resistance to authority evaporated as I discovered that this church's authority was derived directly from our Lord via the unbroken line from the apostles through the bishops of the church. Friom the time i attended my first divine liturgy I believe it became inevitable that I would convert. Everything here was just so right.

I didnt find the journey here easy it took a while and involved some painful moments along the way but by the grace of God I did eventually find my way home. For that I am eternally grateful.

Upvote 0

Matrona

Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't have any time right now to finish my story, but I stumbled across this little gem. I hope it will provide some encouragement to our inquirers, so you know all of us had to start somewhere. ;)

This is my original post on an Orthodox message board, after my first OCF meeting but before my first visit to an Orthodox church:

a scared little inquirer said:
badblood829
9/10/02 11:18 PM 1 out of 34

Hi everybody, I'm new here. I came here because I've been thinking about converting to Eastern Orthodox from being a freelance Protestant, only I have a few questions. I hope no one will think I'm too dumb or irreverent for asking them since the answers probably seem obvious to those who have been around the EO faith longer than me. I am planning on visiting an Orthodox church soon and I've practically memorized Frederica Mathewes-Green's "12 Things I Wish I'd Known" pamphlet.

1: What's with the sign of the cross? How do you do it? When do you do it? When do you do it more than once? I have only rarely gone to church in my life and I don't understand the concept of venerating icons or invoking the Trinity. (An explanation of what those are would really help, too.)

2: I'm a relatively young person (around 20) but I can't stand up for too long, otherwise I start feeling dizzy. Is anyone going to give me the evil eye if I have a seat during most or all of the service? I don't want to be seen as lazy but it would be terribly disruptive of me to pass out during my very first visit.

3: I've been invited to an Antiochial Orthodox church and a Russian Orthodox church. What's the difference?

4: How is the Christ is in our midst greeting (mentioned in the 12 things pamphlet) used? Do you just go around walking up to people saying "Christ is in our midst"? Again, I don't mean to sound irreverent but please remember how ignorant I am.

That's all I can think of right now. I hope I haven't offended anyone and I hope someone can help me soon. Thanks.
For the record:

--I now make the sign of the cross many times per day

--I can now stand for all of Matins and Liturgy with no ill effects (by the Grace of God, though)

--I am now aware of the proper spelling of "Antiochian"

--the Antiochian church I referred to is now my church home

--the "Russian Orthodox" church is actually an OCA mission

--I am now quite skilled at Liturgical Speed-Hugging. ;)

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Newtolife, for your post.

When I was on my journey to Orthodoxy, I used to tell the Orthodox Priest:

"It's strange that Orthodoxy doesn't believe in a state or place called 'Purgatory' like the Catholics, yet tell us that we must undergo 'purgation' here in this life."

My first seven years within Orthodoxy first as an inquirer, then a catechumen, and finally as a Chrismated Orthodox were painful. It is not an easy life to live the Orthodox way, but it is a profoundly interior life of constant self-denial, growing in theosis, and putting on Christ.

And so I find myself still undergoing purgation, illumination, and sanctification in this temporary life in hopes of reaching paradise in the reality that awaits us. This present life is for repenting.

Lord, Jesus Christ, have mercy on us and save us.

Yours in Christ our God,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0