Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
10. How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?

* Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)
* Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)

Two of all beasts (6:19, 20) were taken for preservation of species.

An additional seven of "clean beasts" (7:2) were taken for sacrifice. We know it is an additional seven because we were told that two of all beasts went in (6:19; 7:8-9), and that seven clean (7:2) went in, 7 + 2 = 9.

Time to go to the gym...

Upvote 0

RVincent

Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
11. When David defeated the King of Zobah, how many horsemen did he capture?

* One thousand and seven hundred (2 Samuel 8:4)
* Seven thousand (I Chronicles 18:4)

12. How many stalls for horses did Solomon have?

* Forty thousand (I Kings 4:26)
* Four thousand (2 chronicles 9:25)

The Hebrew for 7 and 700 are easily mistaken one for the other.

The ancient Hebrew characters were Phoenician, and may be seen on the Moabite Stone:

tablet1.jpg
]
tablet2.jpg

These were in use till about 140 BC, and were gradually replaced by the modern "square" characters. Mistakes in copying occurred through the similarity of certain letters.

13. In what year of King Asa's reign did Baasha, King of Israel die?

* Twenty-sixth year (I Kings 15:33 - 16:8)
* Still alive in the thirty-sixth year (2 Chronicles 16:1)

In 2 Chronicles 16:1, reign = malkuwth = kingdom or dominion; that is, thirty-sixth years from the disruption of the kingdom of Judah. This agrees with all the other dates and lengths of reings.

14. How many overseers did Solomon appoint for the work of building the temple?

* Three thousand six hundred (2 Chronicles 2:2)
* Three thousand three hundred (I Kings 5:16)

(1 Ki 5:16) Beside the chief of Solomon's officers which were over the work, three thousand and three hundred, which ruled over the people that wrought in the work.

Solomon hired three thousand six hundred men as overseers (2 Chron. 2:2).

"Beside the chief of Solomon's officers" (1 Ki 5:16), there were only three thousand three hundred overseers.

Hence, out of three thousand six hundred overseers, three hundred of them were "chief officers" besides.

15. Solomon built a facility containing how many baths?

* Two thousand (1 Kings 7:26)
* Over three thousand (2 Chronicles 4:5)

1 Kings 7:26 speaks of what it actually "contained", while 2 Chronicles 4:5 speaks of what it actually "received and held". Reread the text.

16. Of the Israelites who were freed from the Babylonian captivity, how many were the children of Pahrath-Moab?

* Two thousand eight hundred and twelve (Ezra 2:6)
* Two thousand eight hundred and eighteen (Nehemiah 7:11)

17. How many were the children of Zattu?

* Nine hundred and forty-five (Ezra 2:8)
* Eight hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:13)

18. How many were the children of Azgad?

* One thousand two hundred and twenty-two (Ezra 2:12)
* Two thousand three hundred and twenty-two (Nehemiah 7:17)

19. How many were the children of Adin?

* Four hundred and fifty-four (Ezra 2:15)
* Six hundred and fifty-five (Nehemiah 7:20)

20. How many were the children of Hashum?

* Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:19)
* Three hundred and twenty-eight (Nehemiah 7:22)

21. How many were the children of Bethel and Ai?

* Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:28)
* One hundred and twenty-three (Nehemiah 7:32)

Nehemiah 7:11 was a record following the building of the temple, while the record in Ezra is before the temple is rebuilt. If rabbits can breed, then why not the children of Pahrath-Moab? Also, see below.

22. Ezra 2:64 and Nehemiah 7:66 agree that the total number of the whole assembly was 42,360. Yet the numbers do not add up to anything close. The totals obtained from each book is as follows:

* 29,818 (Ezra)
* 31,089 (Nehemiah)

The two lists agree in numbers, but vary in names. Learn the difference between "numbered" and "named".

Numbered in Ezra 2:_____________________42,360
Named in Ezra:________________29,818
Named in Neh, not in Ezra_______1,765_____31,583
Difference between names and numbers____10,777

Numbered in Nehemiah 7:_________________42,360
Named in Nehemiah:____________31,089
Named in Neh, not in Ezra:_______494______31,583

Upvote 0

RVincent

Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
23. How many singers accompanied the assembly?

* Two hundred (Ezra 2:65)
* Two hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:67)

Two hundred put by the Figure Synecdoche (of the part) for the Two hundred and forty-five. See the example of this Fig. in Beyowm above.

Upvote 0

RVincent

Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
24. What was the name of King Abijah?s mother?

* Michaiah, daughter of Uriel of Gibeah (2 Chronicles 13:2)
* Maachah, daughter of Absalom (2 Chronicles 11:20) But Absalom had only one daughter whose name was Tamar (2 Samuel 14:27)

It was not uncommon for a Hebrew to have two names. See Matt. 9:9 and Mark 2:14: Matthew, called Levi.

Michaiah means “Who is like Yahoveh?” The name is used of her as the queen-mother. But she is called Maachah, “oppression”, when speaking of her idolatry (2 Chron. 15:16).

25. Did Joshua and the Israelites capture Jerusalem?

* Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40)
* No (Joshua 15:63)

Quite a few areas are mentioned, such as all of the hill country, etc. But I'm sorry, nobody but you has inserted Jerusalem into Josh. 10:23, 40.

26. Who was the father of Joseph, husband of Mary?

* Jacob (Matthew 1:16)
* Heli (Luke 3:23)

Matt 1:16 clearly states that Jacob begat Joseph.

But Luke 3:23 uses the term "as by law", i.e. "as was supposed". Hence Heli, Mary's father, was Joseph's father "by law".

The word "begat" is used nowhere in Luke.

27. Jesus descended from which son of David?

* Solomon (Matthew 1:6)
* Nathan(Luke3:31)

Nathan (Luke 3:31). See above.

28. Who was the father of Shealtiel?

* Jechoniah (Matthew 1:12)
* Neri? (Luke 3:27)

Example number two of a Hebrew having two names. (Provide more examples, please, and my "theory" becomes more solidified.)

29. Which son of Zerubbabel was an ancestor of Jesus Christ?

* Abiud (Matthew 1: 13)
* Rhesa (Luke 3:27) But the seven sons of Zerubbabel are as follows: i.Meshullam, ii. Hananiah, iii. Hashubah, iv. Ohel, v.Berechiah, vi. Hasadiah, viii. Jushabhesed (I Chronicles 3:19, 20). The names Abiud and Rhesa do not fit in anyway.

Matthew is Joseph's genealogy, not Christ's. See above.

30. Who was the father of Uzziah?

* Joram (Matthew 1:8)
* Amaziah (2 Chronicles 26:1)

Amaziah, who died a violent death for his evil, had his name removed from the royal genealogy according to the law (Deu. 29:20).

31. Who was the father of Jechoniah?

* Josiah (Matthew 1:11)
* Jehoiakim (I Chronicles 3:16)

Jehoiakim (and his son Jechoniah) are alike omitted from the regal fourteen generations for, first, the paramount reason that the kingdom as an independent kingdom ended with the death of Josiah at Megiddo when Judah passed under the power of Egypt, and ultimately Babylon; and secondly, in the case of Jehoiakim for "that which was found on him" (2 Chron 36:8), and in that of Jechoniah for the reasons given in Jer. 22:24-30. There names are also thus blotted out according to the law.

Upvote 0

RVincent

Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I'm going to skip to number 53, because it's one of my favorite.

53. The gospels say that two thieves were crucified along with Jesus. Did both thieves mock Jesus?

* Yes (Mark 15:32)
* No. One of them mocked Jesus, the other defended Jesus (Luke 23:43)

Did you get that folks? "The gospels say...".

Oh yeah?

"Misled by tradition and the ignorance of Scripture on the part of mediæval painters, it is the general belief that only two were crucified with the Lord.

But Scripture does not say so. It states that there were two "thieves" (Greek lestai = robbers, Matthew 27:38. Mark 15:27); and that there were two "malefactors" (Greek kakourgoi, Luke 23:32).

img_app164.gif

THE FIVE CROSSES AT
PLOUBEZERE, NEAR LANNION,
Cotes-du-Nord, Brittany.​

It is also recorded that both the robbers reviled Him (Matthew 27:44. Mark 15:32); while in Luke 23:39 only one of the malefactors "railed on Him", and "the other rebuked him" for so doing (verse 40). If there were only two, this is a real discrepancy; and there is another, for the two malefactors were "led with Him to be put to death" (Luke 23:32), and when they were come to Calvary, "they" then and there "crucified Him and the malefactors, one on the right hand and the other on the left" (verse 33).

But the other discrepancy is, according to Matthew, that after the parting of the garments, and after "sitting down they watched Him there", that "THEN" were there two robbers crucified with Him, one on the right hand and the other on the left" (Matthew 27:38. Mark 15:27). The two malefactors had already been "led with Him" and were therefore crucified "with Him", before the dividing of the garments, and before the two robbers were brought.

The first two (malefactors) who were "led with Him" were placed one on either side. When the other two (robbers) were brought, much later, they were also similarly placed; so that there were two (one of each) on either side and the Lord in the midst. The malefactors were therefore the nearer, and being on the inside they could speak to each other better, and the one with the Lord, as recorded (Luke 23:39 - 43).

John's record confirms this for he speaks only of place and not of time. He speaks, generally of the fact: "where they crucified Him, and with Him others, two on this side, and that side, and Jesus in the midst" (John 19:18). In Revelation 22:2 we have the same expression in the Greek (enteuthen kai enteuthen), which is accurately rendered "on either side". So it should be rendered here: "and with Him others, on either side."

But John further states (19:32, 33): "then came the soldiers and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with Him. But when they came (Greek = having come) to Jesus, and saw that He was dead already, they brake not His legs." Had there been only two (one on either side) the soldiers would not have come to the Lord, but would have passed Him, and then turned back again. But they came to Him after they had broken the legs of the first two.

There are two words used of the "other" and "others" in John 19:32 and Luke 23:32 (see Appendix 124. 1).

In the former passage we read, "they brake the legs of the first and of the other." Here the Greek is allos, which is the other (the second) of two when there are more (see Matthew 10:23; 25:16, 17, 20: 27:61; 28:1. John 18:15, 16; 20:2, 4, 8, and Revelation 17:10).

In the latter passage (Luke 23:32) the word is heteros = different (see Appendix 124. 2); "and others also, two, were being led with Him." These were different1 from Him with Whom they were led, not different from one another; for they were "in the same condemnation", and "justly", while He had "done nothing amiss" (verses 40, 41).

From this evidence, therefore, it is clear that there were four "others" crucified with the Lord; and thus, on the hand, there are no "discrepancies", as alleged; while, on the other hand, every word and every expression, in the Greek, gets (and gives) its own exact value, and its full significance.

To show that we are not without evidence, even from tradition, we may state that there is a "Calvary" to be seen at Ploubézéré near Lannion, in the Côtes-du-Nord, Brittany, known as Les Cinq Croix ("The Five Crosses"). There is a high cross in the centre, with four lower ones, two on either side. There may be other instances of which we have not heard.

"In the Roman Catholic church.... the altar-slab or 'table' alone is consecrated, and in sign if this are cut in its upper surface five Greek crosses, one in the centre and one in each corner... but the history of the origin and development of this practice is not fully worked out" (Encycl. Brit., 11th (Cambridge) ed., vol. i, pages 762, 763). This practice may possibly be explained by the subject of this Appendix.

From The "Others" Crucified With The Lord (Matthew 27:38 and Luke 23:32).

Never let a nonbeliever tell you what the Scriptures say. They don't pay attention, and they have an agenda.

Unless the newbie "discover" shows any more interest, or if there is one you would like me to address, I'm gonna stop. I'll keep my subscription to this thread, or PM me.

Upvote 0

Skillganon

Veteran
Feb 28, 2006
London
✟17,372.00
Faith
Muslim
RVincent said:
1 Chron. 21:12, as well as 2 Samuel 24:13 of the Septuagint (from an older set of MSS), says "three". The Hebrew numeral letters for three and seven were probably very much alike. Hence perhaps mistaken by by an ancient scribe.

Probably is not an answer! If admit this than you have to admit many ancient hebrew letter's are much alike, and their is a probable chance of mistake's.

I want to see Proof!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Skillganon said:
Probably is not an answer! If admit this than you have to admit many ancient hebrew letter's are much alike, and their is a probable chance of mistake's.

I want to see Proof!
Then why don't you look for it? :wave:

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Thanks for that, RVincent. :) Could you do a few other NT contradictions, too? Those are the ones I care most about. Numerical issues don't bother me terribly much; I see the Bible as a spiritual guide book which tells us of Christ-whom we can then have an eternal relationship with. It was written by men, inspired by God. I don't see a problem with that-the Bible was never meant to be a "miracle" as Muslims claim the Qu'ran is, but a Divinely inspired book where we can learn about God and develop a relationship with Him. And, just because the Qu'ran claims to be written by God, does not make it any more written by Him than any other religious text.

Upvote 0

BibleMadeMeDoIt

Jul 23, 2005
Buffalo NY
✟8,802.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
caller_to_truth said:
It shows how much you know what you ar etalking about.He had scribes with him all the time.When he received revelation they wrote it down straigh away.The Quran did not come down all at once.It was revealed verse by verse.
Peace
Good point, that would explain why the Quran sometimes reads like its out of order sometimes.

An example of what I mean is in the end of Sura 4 its talking about past messengers and people of the book and then the very last part jumps waaaaaaay off topic into something about inheritance.

Upvote 0

Skillganon

Veteran
Feb 28, 2006
London
✟17,372.00
Faith
Muslim
24. What was the name of King Abijah?s mother?

* Michaiah, daughter of Uriel of Gibeah (2 Chronicles 13:2)
* Maachah, daughter of Absalom (2 Chronicles 11:20) But Absalom had only one daughter whose name was Tamar (2 Samuel 14:27)[/quote]

It was not uncommon for a Hebrew to have two names. .......

Michaiah means “Who is like Yahoveh?” The name is used of her as the queen-mother. But she is called Maachah, “oppression”, when speaking of her idolatry (2 Chron. 15:16).

Even, if machaiah and Maachah is the same person, with different name, it still does not explain how she is the daughter of Uriel and daughter of absolom, when absolom has only one daughter called Tamar?

Any suggestion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skillganon

Veteran
Feb 28, 2006
London
✟17,372.00
Faith
Muslim
RVincent said:
The two lists agree in numbers, but vary in names. Learn the difference between "numbered" and "named".

Numbered in Ezra 2:_____________________42,360
Named in Ezra:________________29,818
Named in Neh, not in Ezra_______1,765_____31,583

Numbered in Nehemiah 7:_________________42,360
Named in Nehemiah:____________31,089
Named in Neh, not in Ezra:_______494______31,583

Excuse me! Sorry to bother you but what do you mean by Named and Numbered? :scratch:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
SH89 said:
Wow, this thread is two years old. I was 14 when I first posted here.
And Skillganon still hasn't learned anything from it yet. ;)
He is still my bro though, bless his heart. Peace.

Upvote 0