Continental Drift

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Speaking for myself, the primary issue is that I don't trust man's interpretation of evidence, whether the evidence is a fossil or the contents of the Bible.

Oh, skepticism is quite well and good. The only problem is that Nick's standards for people who disagree with him are far higher than his standards for people who agree with him.

Which is why he regularly embarasses himself by posting something that turns out to be very false. Because he trusts certain sources, no matter how often they turn out to be wrong. Or lying.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nick..
Still waiting on the evidence you promised me...
I DO want to believe that a global flood formed all
the major mountain ranges. You discounted my
beliefs, yet subscribe to a belief with no evidence...why?

/me wishin for that dynamic model you promised...

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Smilin
Nick..
Still waiting on the evidence you promised me...
I DO want to believe that a global flood formed all
the major mountain ranges. You discounted my
beliefs, yet subscribe to a belief with no evidence...why?

/me wishin for that dynamic model you promised...

I can't guarantee you evidence because it's all in the interpretation. But I'll try to find that hypothesis and post a link here.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nick...
The Physics associated with motion, friction, momentum...etc..
aren't open to interpretation. Show me how a flood can produce
the forces to form the mountain ranges and I'll believe your claims.
(You'll also probably win a Nobel Prize)

Would you like a link on the Himilaya's? (from a main-stream geology point of view)

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Well npetreley can believe that the flood happened and did all the stuff he thinks happens even though there is no evidence. Just like I could believe that aliens came to earth and started every life on earth. And created all the craters on earth. And made the mountians even though there is no evidence of it. But that doens't make it true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Paule..
I've read the bible...MANY times...
I've read the Koran...once
I've read the book of Mormon....once

I'm referring to the scientific evidence of a GLOBAL flood. I'm doubting there was one. Can you prove it to me? I can show you evidence of mini-floods. (One is here in Appalachia)....

Pillow lava on Mt Ararat....reference please....

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by paulewog
No evidence of the flood?

Guess no one reads their Bibles :sigh:

Or looks at the world truly. Pillow lava on mount Ararat :sigh:

;)

I have read the bible, and there is no evidence of the flood just a nice little story. Evidence is something to can see and test. And since there is no evidence a global flood you can't see if or test it. But there is evidence of a major local flood in the black see area which has been seen and tested.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can show you evidence of a MAJOR washout (geological flood event) in the middle of the Cumberland Plateau here as well. I'd like to believe this is where Noah floated his boat......

Yet Gopher wood never has grown here....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
This isn't what I was looking for, but it has some of the same basic hypotheses in it. His view is that it was internal, and not an impact, which makes sense on several fronts.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/212.asp

The strong weight of evidence is that there was a massive catastrophe, corresponding to the Genesis Flood, which involved large and rapid continental movements. My conclusion is that the only mechanism capable of producing that scale of catastrophe and not wrecking the planet in the process had to be internal to the earth.

I am persuaded it involved rapid subduction (sinking) of the pre-Flood ocean floor, pulling the 'plates' apart at the beginning of the Flood, and was probably associated with the breaking up of the 'fountains of the great deep' described in Scripture.

Interesting that NASA is involved...

Last year NASA funded this effort as one of the nine grand challenge projects for the next three years in their High Performance Computing and Communication initiative, and are supporting two post-doctoral researchers to collaborate with me to improve it, and apply it to study the earth.

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Not really NASA has always been studing the earth they know more about the earth than anyone else. So who else would you rather have helping. But you can blame everything on the flood but since there is no evidence of a global flood you can't blame it on a global flood.

But if you want to find all the stuff that nasa is working on goto.

http://search.spacelink.nasa.gov/

Upvote 0
Here's an alternative hypothesis. This guy feels that plate-tectonics, slow OR catastrophic, have too many problems. Nevertheless, both the catastrophic view and his view of vertical tectonics suggest that the mountains formed as subduction/sinking of the ocean floors occurred.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/magazines/tj/docs/16n1p64oard.asp

Here's a quote from a section where he points out problems with the catastrophic view:

Hence, advocates of catastrophic plate tectonics must believe in copious post-Flood catastrophism, in which the continents rise to balance the sinking ocean basins.

Here's his alternative...

I believe the evidence used in support of plate tectonics can support vertical tectonics. With proper understanding, I believe mid-ocean ridges, ocean floor magnetic anomalies, and the ‘fit’ of the continents across the Atlantic, etc. can be explained within the paradigm of vertical tectonics during the Flood. I interpret the forearc areas of trenches as caused by rapid sedimentation and downward vertical tectonics of the ocean basins during the later stages of the Genesis Flood. This was a time when Flood water was draining off the uplifting continents, first as sheet flow and second by more channelized flow, according to the Biblical Flood model of Tas Walker.51 The continents were uplifted while the ocean basins subsided. At the margins of continents, massive slumping and mass movement of newly deposited, consolidated to semi-consolidated sediments would be expected at many scales. The normal faults on the continental shelves and upper slopes are evidence for this slumping. Thus, the lower slopes would simply be the toe of large slumps or mass movement debris. Forearc ridges and basins would be the topographic expression of these processes, as suggested by McNeill et al.20

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nick,
You failed....
You simply found a scientist who is studying his hypothesis of the ocean floor collapsing. Yet interestingly there was no reference to any geological evidence that this occured. If it is shown a possibility...like I said Nick...I'll believe it.

Yet you promised a dynamic model....not a link to some scientists beliefs/interview. Where's the model you promised?

Notice how this particular scientist stated that indeed, a massive movement of the continents to their current position within a short period of time (i.e. weeks instead of millenia) would have utterly destroyed the planet. Will his model work, we shall see.

Evidence of a collapsing sea floor....where's that at?

Upvote 0