• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Continental Drift

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by TheBear, Oct 15, 2002.

1. sulphur

sulphur thylacine

+0
    Your original thread was good and I would like to continue with it without being bogged down with trivia

2. npetreley

npetreley pumpkin sailor

+2
    No, I'm saying there's no way to know if no formations are over 4,000 years old. I have no problem with people speculating that they're 100,000 years old or whatever. But let's simply be honest here and admit it's all speculation.

3. notto

notto Legend

+627
    United Ch. of Christ
    Lets see, thats half a meter in 5000 years, and we have formations that are several meters thick.

Cathedral Caverns is home to "Goliath"--the largest stalagmite in the world. It measures 45 feet tall and 243 feet in circumstance (radius of approx 5 meters) .

So lets assume that the rate given is "rapid". It would still take 50,000 years for Goliath to form.

Of course, this is being generous because Goliath is much larger than a pop bottle and would require the dissolving of much more material to add each of the 3mm in this calculation. as the stalagmite increases is size, it takes longer and longer for each new milimeter of material to be added because it takes more material to do so.

I think it would be save to say that Goliath is older than 5000 years. Unless of course it was created "fully formed".

4. TheBear

TheBear NON-WOKED

+1,765
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    I have started another thread on these other subjects.

Back on topic Continental Drift......

5. sulphur

sulphur thylacine

+0
    Yes I agree .When will california break away literally and proclaim itself an island state. Thats if it doesn't sink

6. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    HEH I have always wondered about that if the earthquake that one day causes california to break off, will the earthquake be so big that people on the east coast could feel it. :)

7. TheBear

TheBear NON-WOKED

+1,765
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    Some scientists claim that the cracks in the earth's surface, forming the tectonic plates, were not always there. They claim a huge meteor, dwarfing the one that extincted the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, struck the earth 3.8 billion years ago, cracking the surface, and starting the tectonic plate and continental drift phenomena.

8. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    I believe that since that when the earth was being made the world was being hit all the time by meteors.

9. sulphur

sulphur thylacine

+0
    The idea I was given was one original land mass pangea broke into laurentia and gondwanaland and the fossil record supports the the final separation into the continents we know was at atime when plant growth was present. This is shown by similar primitive plant types in south africa and australia.The forces driving the break up were internal.there is no evidence for an external force.

10. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    Yeah we know about that. But there is new evidence that meteors might have caused it.

11. sulphur

sulphur thylacine

+0
    what evidence? and it better be good

12. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    it was talked about and shown on this thread or one of the others.

13. sulphur

sulphur thylacine

+0
    NOT good enough. REAL EVIDENCE. If you show yours i'll show mine

14. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
  15. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat
    what do you think.

16. Morat

Morat Untitled One

+2
    Atheist
      I have been utterly unable to verify the bat story. Period. I don't have access to the October 1953 National Geographic. None of the various articles on the net (all basic copies of the one Nick has) post a picture of the bat.

Given National Geographic's hit-and-miss approach to the facts, I'm witholding judgement. You would think, however, that the bat fossil would be metioned somewhere other than the October 1953 National Geographic.

I can't even tell what sort of formation it was found in (soda straws form rather rapidly, for instance). Anyone have access to a good library with archives that far back?

17. sulphur

sulphur thylacine

+0
    AS I said real evidence I used to look at national geographic to see pictures of naked women when I was a kid

18. TheBear

TheBear NON-WOKED

+1,765
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    :eek:

19. sulphur

sulphur thylacine

+0
    we have datings from iceland where sea floor spread has come to thesurface careful selection of the rocks. The age through K-Ar dating puts the age of the oldest rocks at 4.6 billion years possibly up to4.8 billion years Can we disprove K-Ar dating?

20. kaotic

kaotic Learn physics

+3
    Agnostic
    US-Democrat