Continental Drift

Originally posted by TheBear
Now here is sound reasoning. :D

Tell us, Nick. Does the sun revolve around the earth, or does the earth revolve around the sun? And, how do you know?

Tell us, bear. Are you asking if we can figure out how the orbits work now, or are you trying to figure out how the orbits started and got the way they are today?

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Duane Morse
I do not know. But the large mountain ranges would have been created by the land masses colliding. And the collisions and drag would have caused them to slow down.

Duane...

Collisions and drag would have caused them to slow down huh?

Where's my Dunce hat award.... :(

Let's talk basic physics...and your 'simple conclusion' of how a continent traveling at feet per day would deaccelerate to the velocity they now move at.

Are you familiar with linear momentum?  If so...are you familiar with the Kinetic energy a moving continent would contain?

As far as to your 'drag' or friction reasoning.  What's the formula for friction...and explain the forces involved (by simple friction alone) that would be present.  After you've done that...analyze the results, products of the forces and you'll see where your idea fails.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by seesaw
Holycr** i can't believe some of you don't even know how mountains are formed, thats freaky. Ok don't fall out of your chair when you hear this. Tectonic plates is what formed the mountains, and also valcanos. 

Welcome to the Christians forum seesaw :D :wave: :sorry: :help:

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
 :rolleyes: :(

But it was not the flood that raised the mountains. It was during the flood that the fountains of the deep broke and loosed all the water they contained.
And the fountains of the deep, it sounds like, were huge underground bodies of water.
If these bodies of water were large enough much of the land would have sunk when they burst.

Duane, We covered this idea in a YEC thread I started.  If this TRULY happened, the water would have been superheated, would have boiled all life in the oceans crisp, and would have given Noah a Steam/Sauna experience that would have caused him and his cargo to perish.  No geological evidence of underground oceans of this size have been found to date (of my knowledge either).  If I'm wrong...show me.

when God turned the world upside down, an in a PHYSICAL pole-shift of the planet, and changed the languages and speech of the inhabitants.

The bible doesn't record this Duane.

It was during the flipping of the planet that the land mass actually broke apart, sending the fragments in different directons. I think the upper layers that were the mountains before the fountains of the deep burst forth were the pieces that are the separate continents today. And the friction between those upper layers and the bedrock are what caused their movements to slow over time.
It was these fragments that slid around the globe, and when they meet they crash into each other forming the mountain ranges.

Tapping foot...STILL waiting on you to state the physics and math proofs showing linear momentum, kinetic energy and the friction associated with 'continental crashing'..... :(

Duane, Continents crashing at the rate you suggest would DO MUCH more than just creat mountain ranges..... :idea:   How would mass figure into your suggestions?...

So it was not the flood that made the mountain ranges, it was the effects of the pole-shift.
Everyone seems to ignore what really happened at Babel. But it is there that you can see God working an evolutionary process.
One race to many.
One continent into many.

Babel hasn't been found yet...(to my knowledge)...show me if it has so I can study the archeological findings.  According to the Bible, God only changed the languages..he didn't create different races at Babel.  Reread the text.

Everything was flooded, then shaken apart, then crashed back together.
Then frozen, then thawed. And over the next few thousand years everything is shaken up and mixed around with land masses crashing, volcanoes, ice and water erosion... not to mention a few comet or meteor strikes. 

Sound like an exotic drink mix to me Duane.... I can't even comment on this statement...I need some air and a Pepsi...BBL...

:help:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Evidence for changes in magnetic fields have usuall y been taken from samples of igneous rocks especially basalts because the quick forming crystal align with it WIth continental drift this has caused many problems. With a reversal it does not mean the earth suddenly flips up side
down. The earths interior controls the polarity.
The cause of mountains and volcanoes is the convection currents within the mantle

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by sulphur
Evidence for changes in magnetic fields have usuall y been taken from samples of igneous rocks especially basalts because the quick forming crystal align with it WIth continental drift this has caused many problems. With a reversal it does not mean the earth suddenly flips up side
down. The earths interior controls the polarity.
The cause of mountains and volcanoes is the convection currents within the mantle

The reversal Duane was referring to sulphur, was a 180 degree inversion of the entire planet...not the magnetic field.  As far as magnetic field inversion...I'm not sure how this affects the movement of the tectonic plates.  Would you or anyone else elaborate please?

On a side note...that last I remember (not kept up with recent research) the earth's magnetic field was only THEORIZED to be the result of iron content within the magma core.  Correct, Incorrect? or have there been recent discoveries I haven't studied yet?

Upvote 0
Yes the core is the source of magnetic field. As far as the world fipping over there is no geolgical evidence. The movement of the plates has many factors the major one being the thermal activity within the mantle .Look up subduction zones,and crustal spreading. There are so many sources I wouldn't where to start

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by sulphur
Yes the core is the source of magnetic field. As far as the world fipping over there is no geolgical evidence. The movement of the plates has many factors the major one being the thermal activity within the mantle .Look up subduction zones,and crustal spreading. There are so many sources I wouldn't where to start

I've only studied magnetism as it applies to electricity.

Has it been proven that the iron within the core is the source of the earth's magnetic field?...

Are you a geologist?..and thanks for the research links,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
  Oh, npeterly made a claim, earlier in the thread, that overthrusts can't happen, because they don't cause deformation in the rocks. Two people (I was one of them) pointed out that the deformation causes by geologic movement is pretty darn easy to see.

Nick didn't come back to the claim.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Morat
  Oh, npeterly made a claim, earlier in the thread, that overthrusts can't happen, because they don't cause deformation in the rocks. Two people (I was one of them) pointed out that the deformation causes by geologic movement is pretty darn easy to see.

Nick didn't come back to the claim.

No he didn't ...

And I noticed a very interesting formation here in the Appalachian Mountains this weekend (need a new digital camera) that I'd like him to explain....(since overthrust's can't happen by his beliefs)...

I'd also like to know why he debates a viewpoint he has no proof of???? :help:  I asked him I'd believe his theory that a Global Flood formed the mountain ranges. He claimed he'd go find one..

*tapping* foot...still waiting on that one.

Upvote 0