• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Constant recurring doubts about salvation

David2019

Jan 3, 2020
Utrecht
✟31,309.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have constant recurring doubts about my salvation. It's been keeping my mind busy everyday for over a year now. It feels like every second of the day I have to reassure myself I'm a believer, and if I think about something else for too long, then that must mean I'm in the process of falling back into unbelief. At this point I think that I've spent almost weeks worth of reading through articles on the internet about the essentials of true saving faith. I recited the prayer of salvation dozens of times over 2020/21 but every time I feel the urge to do it again because of my mind absolutely pressing it that I actually didn't mean it for real the last time.

I believe in Christ and the gospel, but I keep thinking ''But what if I I'm not really a Christian? What if I'm actually fooling myself and I will only find this out on judgment day when it's too late?'' and then I need to go browse the internet again or wrestle with my thoughts for reassurance.

What is the best way to deal with this situation?

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have constant recurring doubts about my salvation. It's been keeping my mind busy everyday for over a year now. It feels like every second of the day I have to reassure myself I'm a believer, and if I think about something else for too long, then that must mean I'm in the process of falling back into unbelief. At this point I think that I've spent almost weeks worth of reading through articles on the internet about the essentials of true saving faith. I recited the prayer of salvation dozens of times over 2020/21 but every time I feel the urge to do it again because of my mind absolutely pressing it that I actually didn't mean it for real the last time.

I believe in Christ and the gospel, but I keep thinking ''But what if I I'm not really a Christian? What if I'm actually fooling myself and I will only find this out on judgment day when it's too late?'' and then I need to go browse the internet again or wrestle with my thoughts for reassurance.

-
The one and only issue whether a person receives God's free gift of Eternal Life (salvation) is do they believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from the prophecies of The Tanakh and Trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

If a person has believed, then have have eternal life never to loose it.

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The best way to deal with the situation is prayer. Jesus said to literally pester God when you're in need. Keep praying for help from the Holy Spirit. Build a relationship with God by talking with him child to father. Also resist the devil and he will flee from you. When I get those feelings of doubt, I say 'get thee behind me satan'.

Reactions: David2019
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You are making this far too complicated which is why you are letting doubt enter your mind. If you accept Jesus as your savior you are saved, it is that simple, Jesus has done all the work and the suffering, you need only to accept Him.

Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Aristotle wrote that if we’re cheap with money, we can correct our bad habit by being overly generous. His analogy was to use the image of a bent stick, if the stick’s bent in one direction, over extending it in the opposite direction should cause the whole thing to relax into a slightly more straightened state.

If you fear for your salvation, I’d say your theology needs to be more grace oriented to make up for the natural inclination to fear that you’re developing.

Focus on Bible teachers and preachers who impress upon you a message of abundant, enduring, free grace. Add preachers and reading material into your rotation that you might not have found attractive before, search out articulate, smart, grace oriented people.

God bless mate :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome! The best way to put aside thoughts of doubt is to focus on more important matters like spreading the good news and love those in need. When I obsess over things or situations it is only my Lord that puts me at rest. He knows my heart and He knows yours. If you love Him, you are in His presence daily. Love conquers all fear. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Contrary to popular belief prayer of salvation does not save nor is it in the Bible it's man made just like songs and hymns which are made for singing in Church or statement of faith Prayer.

The Gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 - Christ died according to Scriptures so he fulfilled Scriptures that means he fulfilled Prophecy which God who is outside of time give to us so we know God exist and Jesus is his Son to begin with.
Prophecy like Isaiah 53 - few hunderds old before Christ speaking of him , and about 200 or 300 more similar to this one , or prophecy giving us exact day Jesus will ride on donkey and be proclaimed Messiah to the Jews , literally to the day , he died and rise from death according to all planned feasts aswell like passover , unleavened bread ect.

It's just matter of fact if you believe it or not , then if you do you're sealed forever by Holy Spirit and it's for free , you receive it as gift. Ephesians 2:8-9 , Ephesians 1:13-14

Jesus said

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

You can rest in the fact that Jesus said if you believed you passed alredy from death to life not that you will in future , you can have rest since this.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This sounds extremely typical of OCD/scrupulosity. Many, many Christians with OCD have a "fear of losing salvation" obsession, and do compulsions such as ruminating, researching, and asking for reassurance.

Do you have a diagnosis of OCD, and/or have it in other areas of your life as well?

Upvote 0

David2019

Jan 3, 2020
Utrecht
✟31,309.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This sounds extremely typical of OCD/scrupulosity. Many, many Christians with OCD have a "fear of losing salvation" obsession, and do compulsions such as ruminating, researching, and asking for reassurance.

Do you have a diagnosis of OCD, and/or have it in other areas of your life as well?
Yes. I'm taking medication for it and it affects my life in other ways as well (compulsive checking and the urge to do everything ''perfect'').

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. I'm taking medication for it and it affects my life in other ways as well (compulsive checking and the urge to do everything ''perfect'').
What has helped me most is learning how to manage my OCD through mental strategies based on CBT and ERP therapies (the therapies considered to be very effective for OCD). These can be learned through professional therapy by someone who specializes in treating OCD, and/or by self-educating oneself (and applying the things learned!). If you want, I can suggest some of the websites and resources that have helped me. OCD/scrupulosity is such a difficult thing to deal with, but it's very treatable!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Take the focus off of feeling and worries. Do the best you can every day. Tell Christ your worries and struggles.

Some Christians find traditional prayers helpful. They might recite an Our Father in the morning, then begin their day. You don’t have to think about God 24/7 to be a Christian; most of us don’t. That’s ok.

Upvote 0

David2019

Jan 3, 2020
Utrecht
✟31,309.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Take the focus off of feeling and worries. Do the best you can every day. Tell Christ your worries and struggles.

Some Christians find traditional prayers helpful. They might recite an Our Father in the morning, then begin their day. You don’t have to think about God 24/7 to be a Christian; most of us don’t. That’s ok.

Thanks for your reply. At the same time I feel kind of ashamed towards God because of my annoying OCD habits. I know that I'm not in control of my life, but I find it frightening to quit repeating the mantra's even if I know that they do not change anything.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your reply. At the same time I feel kind of ashamed towards God because of my annoying OCD habits. I know that I'm not in control of my life, but I find it frightening to quit repeating the mantra's even if I know that they do not change anything.
Mantras can actually make things worse, friend. Just try praying in the morning, giving your day over to Christ, and then going about your day. We don’t have to think constantly to keep ourselves in God’s good graces; just trust Him, and step back a bit.

Upvote 0