Considering moving away from the Baptist title..

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That seems fair to say. Who's ever encountered a self-described non-denominational church that isn't close to the Baptists or Pentecostals?

Me. There is a self-described non-denomination church here that went independent from the United Church of Christ a decade ago. They are extremely liturgical in their worship, not like Baptists or Pentecostals at all.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Me. There is a self-described non-denomination church here that went independent from the United Church of Christ a decade ago. They are extremely liturgical in their worship, not like Baptists or Pentecostals at all.

Interesting. I'll have to amend my comment to "It's extremely rare that a self-described 'non-denominational' church isn't basically a Pentecostal or Baptist church minus the title."

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been doing a lot of Bible reading lately. A lot. And in doing this, I find many of the "rules and regulations" in a church, specifically a Baptist church, to not really have any basis in scripture. The more I ponder, read, and pray, it truly seems like modern day Baptist beliefs are nothing more than man made tradition.

-singing of hymns only
-not allowing any instruments besides a piano
-requiring men to wear suits if in any form of ministry or you just can't do it
-the teaching of small children and teenagers completely unbiblical things such as its a sin to hold hands and kiss/hug before marriage, it's a sin to go to the movies because it's the appearance of evil, it's a sin to drink (getting drunk is a sin, drinking is most definitely not) etc
-strict rules and regulations such as if you don't go to church every Sunday, there must be sin in your life, and you must not be right with God because of your lack of involvement with "church"

All of these things are unbiblical, and down right disgusting. Church has become a cesspool of self righteousness. It has become a cold religion. People care so much what others think of each other instead of glorifying God. Here's a news flash:

We have NO RIGHTEOUSNESS. WE ONLY HAVE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF JESUS CHRIST. Stop trying to LIE your way into the good dispositions of others! NO ONE is good. We are sinners for life. It's a tattoo that cannot be removed. Yet people try to cover it up with fancy clothes and good deeds so their "brethren" will look at them and say, "wow! He must be close to The Lord!" Disgusting. Self righteousness. Selfish.

Since when was meeting together about us? It's about Christ, God, and worshipping Him!

This very fact is proved by walking into the Christian Advice section of these forums. You have people from all over the world scared to death that God doesn't love them because of what they've been taught.

"Is this a sin?"
"Is that a sin?"
"Is watching this movie a sin?"

Read the BIBLE and stop listening to the garbage people spew at you. We are under the law of FAITH. The Mosaic Law was for the Israelites. Not us. We are no longer under a schoolmaster. We are under the love and grace of Jesus Christ.

While Baptists have many faults the list that you mentioned has nothing to do with a Baptist church. I do not know of any Baptist church that teaches the things you mentioned the way you mentioned them,. I am almost inclined to think you are making this all up, but let me ask for clarity exactly what church you are referring too?

Also at the end of your post you made some false statements. We are to keep the commandments, not to be saved, but because we are saved and if a person is not doing so they are not saved according to scripture.

1John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
Listen here if you do not understand that;
http://www.gerald285.com/web_media/BirthmarksofaBeliever.32.mp3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
While Baptists have many faults the list that you mentioned has nothing to do with a Baptist church. I do not know of any Baptist church that teaches the things you mentioned the way you mentioned them,. I am almost inclined to think you are making this all up, but let me ask for clarity exactly what church you are referring too?

Also at the end of your post you made some false statements. We are to keep the commandments, not to be saved, but because we are saved and if a person is not doing so they are not saved according to scripture.

1John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
Listen here if you do not understand that;
http://www.gerald285.com/web_media/BirthmarksofaBeliever.32.mp3

I strongly disagree with you statement of him making things up.
I was in a Independent Baptist whose Pastor disallowed shorts on grounds anywhere,including basketball games.
His reason was the Levite Priest had britches on under robes to not expose themselves while praying.
The good part is when you study the text,the description of britches are shorts! They were from waist to thigh.
So legalism based on false teaching.
But I do not say all are the same in Baptist,I had no problems growing up in the Baptist Church,and most do allow shorts.

Upvote 0
G

godenver1

I've been doing a lot of Bible reading lately. A lot. And in doing this, I find many of the "rules and regulations" in a church, specifically a Baptist church, to not really have any basis in scripture. The more I ponder, read, and pray, it truly seems like modern day Baptist beliefs are nothing more than man made tradition.

-singing of hymns only
-the teaching of small children and teenagers completely unbiblical things such as its a sin to hold hands and kiss/hug before marriage, it's a sin to go to the movies because it's the appearance of evil, it's a sin to drink (getting drunk is a sin, drinking is most definitely not) etc
-strict rules and regulations such as if you don't go to church every Sunday, there must be sin in your life, and you must not be right with God because of your lack of involvement with "church"

All of these things are unbiblical, and down right disgusting. Church has become a cesspool of self righteousness. It has become a cold religion. People care so much what others think of each other instead of glorifying God. Here's a news flash:

We have NO RIGHTEOUSNESS. WE ONLY HAVE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF JESUS CHRIST. Stop trying to LIE your way into the good dispositions of others! NO ONE is good. We are sinners for life. It's a tattoo that cannot be removed. Yet people try to cover it up with fancy clothes and good deeds so their "brethren" will look at them and say, "wow! He must be close to The Lord!" Disgusting. Self righteousness. Selfish.

Since when was meeting together about us? It's about Christ, God, and worshipping Him!

This very fact is proved by walking into the Christian Advice section of these forums. You have people from all over the world scared to death that God doesn't love them because of what they've been taught.

"Is this a sin?"
"Is that a sin?"

Read the BIBLE and stop listening to the garbage people spew at you. We are under the law of FAITH. The Mosaic Law was for the Israelites. Not us. We are no longer under a schoolmaster. We are under the love and grace of Jesus Christ.

maybe church is more laid back where I'm from but this sounds nothing like my church at all and all those things listed do not apply at my church

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
maybe church is more laid back where I'm from but this sounds nothing like my church at all and all those things listed do not apply at my church

Most churches, Baptist or otherwise, are not like that; but I don't doubt that there are some which are.

There was nothing in the description that seemed contrived to me, although I also strongly feel that it's wrong to conclude from one experience like this that churches in general, Baptists in general, or Fundamentalists in general, are "like that."

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Most churches, Baptist or otherwise, are not like that; but I don't doubt that there are some which are.

There was nothing in the description that seemed contrived to me, although I also strongly feel that it's wrong to conclude from one experience like this that churches in general, Baptists in general, or Fundamentalists in general, are "like that."

I agree,I have a Baptist Church that uses my store for services.
They have about 40 people,most reformed from the legal churches.
The Pastor is great filled with the Spirit old time Preacher.
Come as you are, Ok to dance at weddings and go to clean movies.
The shame is they have property and modular buildings, but our wonderful county makes it hard on Churches.
Its unreal the demands,they have tried to get in their Church for 3 years now.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

As a reminder, the site rules include this:

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

This is not the place to debate against Baptist beliefs.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

-singing of hymns only

"Is this a sin?"
"Is that a sin?"

You are absolutely correct regarding the "rules and regulations" not only in your church but in most. I attend a church where the dress is very casual. I've never seen the pastor in a tie. And he has great sermons. It seems the lack of a suit and tie doesn't have an adverse affect on his teaching. I have personally stopped using a denominational title. When people ask me "What's your religion?" I simply say "I'm a follower of the Lord Jesus." I wounder about people's faith when they respond "I'm a Baptist" or "I'm a Methodist" or "I'm a Presbyterian" or "I'm a Catholic". It makes me think they may be more devoted to their denomination that to the Lord Himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
exactly. Maybe not Pentecostals but one of the reasons I'm baptist is because it's basically the most straightforward Christianity there is. We don't have extra doctrine and basically go off solely the scripture. Although i wouldn't exactly say baptist are Protestant because we never broke from the catholic church we deny the authority of the pope and have no universal leader. (?)
I'm one who has criticized Catholics for employing functional myths in order to set themselves off from other Christians. For instance, the claims to having originating with Peter, to the church never having changed its beliefs, and to the Papacy being an accepted fact during the Apostolic Era. I am sorry, therefore, when the same kind of thing is done on behalf of Baptists.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm one who has criticized Catholics for employing functional myths in order to set themselves off from other Christians. For instance, the claims to having originating with Peter, to the church never having changed its beliefs, and to the Papacy being an accepted fact during the Apostolic Era. I am sorry, therefore, when the same kind of thing is done on behalf of Baptists.

Yeah, I'd think John Smyth, Thomas Helwys and others would object to not having broken away from the Catholic church, it is their staunch opposition to hierarchy and stand for religious liberty which as the first baptists sets them apart from other Christians of the time, though perhaps not as much these days.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I'd think John Smyth, Thomas Helwys and others would object to not having broken away from the Catholic church, it is their staunch opposition to hierarchy and stand for religious liberty which as the first baptists sets them apart from other Christians of the time, though perhaps not as much these days.

and the other side of that coin is that most Protestant churches have broken away from other Protestant churches, so breaking straight from Rome is not what makes a Protestant church a Protestant church.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
and the other side of that coin is that most Protestant churches have broken away from other Protestant churches, so breaking straight from Rome is not what makes a Protestant church a Protestant church.
Protestant means protest-ant. Meaning protesting against the Old Catholic church at the time.
Why would the protesters want to protest against protesters?

Most church today are protesters protesting the protesters that protests against the protesters of Uh-OhVille.

The Spirit lead the Reformed outta that hammock of Rome of traps.

uh_oh_dog_in_hammock-1949.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Protestant means protest-ant. Meaning protesting against the Old Catholic church at the time.

It's a good day for you--a chance to learn the truth about something you've probably always just assumed...and were wrong about it. The word comes from the 1529 protest of Lutherans against the government (not the Catholic Church) for taking away their legal standing in the Empire (not against Catholic doctrine). Interesting, huh?

Why would the protesters want to protest against protesters?
Obviously, it's because some disagreed with the doctrinal or procedural decisions made by those older Protestant bodies. Most people know that the Methodists and Congregationalists came from the Anglicans, for example.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Most people know that the Methodists and Congregationalists came from the Anglicans, for example.

Baptists as well, but there are some that would deny this. Baptists have the same church structure as the Congregationalists but follow Anabaptists on liberty and rejection of paedobaptism. Which makes sense from the origin of the Baptists as fleeing puritans/congregationalists to Amsterdam where they encountered Anabaptists specifically Mennonites

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Baptists as well, but there are some that would deny this.

Yeh. That's why I decided not to use it as my example ;)

Baptists have the same church structure as the Congregationalists but follow Anabaptists on liberty and rejection of paedobaptism.
Well, the Congregationalists actually have a hierarchical system now as the United Church of Christ. I tend to see Baptists as more closely descended from the Anabaptists myself.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a good day for you--a chance to learn the truth about something you've probably always just assumed...and were wrong about it. The word comes from the 1529 protest of Lutherans against the government (not the Catholic Church) for taking away their legal standing in the Empire (not against Catholic doctrine). Interesting, huh?

Obviously, it's because some disagreed with the doctrinal or procedural decisions made by those older Protestant bodies. Most people know that the Methodists and Congregationalists came from the Anglicans, for example.

Wow! I learned something!

Upvote 0