Considering moving away from the Baptist title..

May 18, 2012
Missouri Ozarks
✟16,544.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think our problem in all denominations is that some of our churches have gotten away from being Christ-like. Jesus was simple. He wore simple clothing, not flashy robes. His message was simple, not mixed with confusing theories. If he had designed a church, it would have been simple too, not filled with a lot of adornment.

He forgave all who said bad things against him; did not agree with him; the lowest of low to a Jew ... a Samartian; and most of all, he forgave those who tortured him and took his life. Yet, we cannot even agree on how to worship him; or give others a right to worship him if they aren't in our denomination.

When you go to a site and ask a question, listen to what the people say, but don't disparage their views or how they believe. You may give your views, but don't insist that yours is the only way.

Christ died for all and our relationship with him is personal.

Upvote 0

loveabounds

Daughter of God
Mar 19, 2012
Western PA
✟15,765.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Some people say "speak in love" while they themselves come off very uncharitable. Amazing...

You have no idea how "charitable" I was.

I stated facts, such as mentioning the judgemental tone the OP used while he made a number of different accusations that are not founded in any of the Baptist church's I've ever heard of or been in. OP lumped all Baptists in a horrible, un-Christianlike description, then lectured us about what we should do...which, every Baptist I know, already does.

I further gave the OP a suggestion on how he might address this in the future.

Sorry if you think that I should have held his hand and coddled him. :doh:

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I go to a Southern Baptist church and it is nothing like that. I mean we have some of those things. We have certain things listed, but it is tradition, and we are not stuck in it. We sing hymns, but I do not get the feel it is a "regulation" deal, for example, we sing some non-traditional things Suits men wear suits, but it is not a requirement, if someone came in with no suit they could serve ( some people do) We even play movies at the church. Drinking maybe a little strict. We do not teach our children that holding hands is wrong. The church does not say that if you do not go to church every week there must be something wrong either.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian

-singing of hymns only
-not allowing any instruments besides a piano
-requiring men to wear suits if in any form of ministry or you just can't do it
-the teaching of small children and teenagers completely unbiblical things such as its a sin to hold hands and kiss/hug before marriage, it's a sin to go to the movies because it's the appearance of evil, it's a sin to drink (getting drunk is a sin, drinking is most definitely not) etc
-strict rules and regulations such as if you don't go to church every Sunday, there must be sin in your life, and you must not be right with God because of your lack of involvement with "church"

Is that General Baptist like Southern Baptist or was that Particular Baptist like reformed Baptist?

Upvote 0

jakael02

Sep 27, 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
✟7,927.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sorry if you think that I should have held his hand and coddled him. :doh:

I wanted you to coddle, hold, and rock him. Then give him a bottle! lol Anyways.. I'm sorry if I came across wrong. Things can be easily misinterpreted in forums because we do not have tone, body language, etc. to understand people's intention. Kindly - James

Upvote 0

Leimeng

Sep 25, 2004
Arizona USA
✟1,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
~ So where is it found in Scripture that pastors are elected by congregants and that congregation membership is voted on?
~ Sure there is unbilbical legalism in all sorts of congregations and demonimations, but except for the voting issue, (and sometimes the dunking -v- sprinkling issue), for the most part there is no major difference between American protestant Christian congregations.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
~ So where is it found in Scripture that pastors are elected by congregants and that congregation membership is voted on?
~ Sure there is unbilbical legalism in all sorts of congregations and demonimations, but except for the voting issue, (and sometimes the dunking -v- sprinkling issue), for the most part there is no major difference between American protestant Christian congregations.

dunking and sprinkling are both acceptable according to the Bible. I was infant baptized. It's something that God did for me. Believe and be Baptized is a command. He also caused me to believe.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
except for the voting issue, (and sometimes the dunking -v- sprinkling issue), for the most part there is no major difference between American protestant Christian congregations.

Except for all the differences, there aren't any. Got it. ;)

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've been doing a lot of Bible reading lately. A lot. And in doing this, I find many of the "rules and regulations" in a church, specifically a Baptist church, to not really have any basis in scripture. The more I ponder, read, and pray, it truly seems like modern day Baptist beliefs are nothing more than man made tradition.

-singing of hymns only
-not allowing any instruments besides a piano
-requiring men to wear suits if in any form of ministry or you just can't do it
-the teaching of small children and teenagers completely unbiblical things such as its a sin to hold hands and kiss/hug before marriage, it's a sin to go to the movies because it's the appearance of evil, it's a sin to drink (getting drunk is a sin, drinking is most definitely not) etc
-strict rules and regulations such as if you don't go to church every Sunday, there must be sin in your life, and you must not be right with God because of your lack of involvement with "church"

All of these things are unbiblical, and down right disgusting. Church has become a cesspool of self righteousness. It has become a cold religion. People care so much what others think of each other instead of glorifying God. Here's a news flash:

We have NO RIGHTEOUSNESS. WE ONLY HAVE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF JESUS CHRIST. Stop trying to LIE your way into the good dispositions of others! NO ONE is good. We are sinners for life. It's a tattoo that cannot be removed. Yet people try to cover it up with fancy clothes and good deeds so their "brethren" will look at them and say, "wow! He must be close to The Lord!" Disgusting. Self righteousness. Selfish.

Since when was meeting together about us? It's about Christ, God, and worshipping Him!

This very fact is proved by walking into the Christian Advice section of these forums. You have people from all over the world scared to death that God doesn't love them because of what they've been taught.

"Is this a sin?"
"Is that a sin?"
"Is watching this movie a sin?"

Read the BIBLE and stop listening to the garbage people spew at you. We are under the law of FAITH. The Mosaic Law was for the Israelites. Not us. We are no longer under a schoolmaster. We are under the love and grace of Jesus Christ.
I use to be a Baptist and I came to some same conclusions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Albion, Behave... this is Christmas time to love each other.:groupray: When you are offended or disagree ... be charitable.:hug:

Now, now. I wasn't "offended" in the least, and I thought that that tiny joke wasn't what you'd consider uncharitable--certainly not compared to the other stuff that appears on all these forums daily. :)

Upvote 0
May 18, 2012
Missouri Ozarks
✟16,544.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Now, now. I wasn't "offended" in the least, and I thought that that tiny joke wasn't what you'd consider uncharitable--certainly not compared to the other stuff that appears on all these forums daily. :)

Just like when my children said something to a person(and I happen to agree with... ;) ) As a good mother should, I scolded them for being rude or uncharitable.;)

Upvote 0

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The original post dealt with several issues, some of which were superficial, and others seemed to go deeper.

As concerns style of music, what difference does it make? If some like piano music only, and songs from the Baptist Hymnal only, so what? If some like contemporary Christian music, and prefer to hear that in Church, so what? Why should one person judge another person for the style of music he likes? If your church does not play the kind of music you like, and you can't stand it, find another church. There are lots of churches out there.

The comments about holding hands, kissing, drinking, and getting drunk seem to have a hidden agenda behind them. I would just say on these things that it is possible for churches and church related schools to go too far on these items, but, in general, because of the debauchery in our society today, it should be understandable why strictness is needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

B Griffin

Sep 4, 2011
Georgia
✟47,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not really against just baptist. The modern day church is a corrupted shell of what it was intended for, bleeding self righteousness and pride. Denominations in general are a problem. That wasn't the point of the church (us) 2000 years ago.

Christianity definitely has its problems today. The main one I think is legalism, i.e., people thinking that God is pleased with them only if they obey all His laws. Legalism is rooted in ignorance about the righteousness we possess in Christ, and it seeks to establish righteousness in the flesh by training it to be good. This also is related to denying the Spirit of God as He leads us and guides us into all truth, because we would not substitute the law for Him if we were listening to and following Him. I think if we fix these problems, those you mention will go away on their own.

Upvote 0

Akmauser

Life.
Dec 24, 2012
North
✟11,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was led to Christ by a Baptist Girl that I was smitten over, I wanted what she had and not having that we were not allowed to be more than friends, her decision.

One day I was driving around thinking about what said of Jesus. ( I was saved and baptized many years before that but I fell long and far) Anyways, driving... Time of the year was early January and I was in a rough time of my life, so I decided to stop into a Baptist Church that I happened to driving by.

Make this story short since this isn't about me, I stayed and never looked back though I do tend to wonder around a bit and fairly unfocused at times. Being at that church was the best decision made. God placed me there at the perfect time of my life and the fundamentals and foundation I received was and is some of the most sound around.

I am fundamentalist still not legalistic Biblical speaking. More nondenominational now but I will never forsake my Baptist brothers and sisters or where my roots were planted so firmly with such care and love and wonderfully cultivated.

I would pray it over.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never heard of a Baptist anywhere that doesn't allow other instruments to be played. Even the most conservative Baptist churches I know of allow for instruments such as the flute, trumpet and violin.

Some of the old "hardshell" Baptist groups such as Primitive Baptists and Old Regular Baptists do not allow instruments in worship. If you ever hear any of those Old Regular Baptist song services, they don't need instruments. It's really an other-worldly experience, a moment of perfect beauty.

Upvote 0
May 18, 2012
Missouri Ozarks
✟16,544.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The original post dealt with several issues, some of which were superficial, and others seemed to go deeper.

As concerns style of music, what difference does it make? If some like piano music only, and songs from the Baptist Hymnal only, so what? If some like contemporary Christian music, and prefer to hear that in Church, so what? Why should one person judge another person for the style of music he likes? If your church does not play the kind of music you like, and you can't stand it, find another church. There are lots of churches out there.

The comments about holding hands, kissing, drinking, and getting drunk seem to have a hidden agenda behind them. I would just say on these things that it is possible for churches and church related schools to go too far on these items, but, in general, because of the debauchery in our society today, it should be understandable why strictness is needed.

We are to make joyful noise unto the Lord... it doesn't matter how as long as it praises God. Children and adults should be taught what God wants for his people and how to behave. Many adults set example before their children that is not acceptable before God whether they be Baptist or Methodist, or whatever....then come to church as if they had lived as a saint.

Somebody needs to say it out right... sex before marriage is unacceptable, sex with someone who is not your spouse is not acceptable, sex with the same sex is not acceptable. As an adult, I can understand how kissing leads to outher behavior. I remember being a teenager... even if it was a million years ago! I think the days of innocent hand holding is long gone.

Upvote 0