Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
When laws are allowing this form of hypocrisy, true believers in America are bound to start facing similar severity of persecution that is taking place elsewhere.

The following story is not the first that I've heard of Christians or conservatives being denied service or being thrown out of an establishment, being recognized for who they are. Whether this concerns anybody is not so much an issue as our need to strengthen as a community of believers for persecution that is fast approaching. Pray for believers, pray for our effectiveness, pray for our perseverance in the faith, and pray for unbelievers that eyes be opened.

I Was Denied Service Because of the Company’s Values, and I’m OK With That
I have come to understand that the best definition of someone on the left is someone who holds conservatives in contempt.
Dennis Prager says it most succinctly in his oft-repeated phrase, "conservatives believe that those on the left are wrong, while those on the left believe that those on the right are bad, not merely wrong".

It no longer is a debate then, but a war against evil that leftists are fighting.
And as the axiom goes, all's fair in love and war.
Even hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've thought a lot about cases such as these. I my opinion, there is coming a time when it will no longer be possible to be agreeable with the culture (Here in the U.S. at least) and be a believer of any stripe. That being said, I don't think even then we will face the kind of persecution that our brothers and sisters in places like Nigeria or Egypt face on a daily basis. Or the twenty or so Coptic martyrs who persevered in the Faith that ended this life in their beheading. What we will face sooner or later being called to affirm the Faith once delivered to the Saints or to affirm whatever the culture says we have to affirm. There will be no middle ground and the issue will seek us out sooner or later.

Imagine going to church on Sunday to a church who holds the historic Christian Faith and as you file in there is an IRS agent noting who is attending. Meaning, if you walk into that church you will pay taxes at a higher rate than otherwise would have. Or, let's say if you want to be a nurse practitioner but in order to do so you have to attend and participate in an abortion. Or, to be hired with a firm you must affirm an oath that violates one or more of the Ten Commandments. Christians being banned from Youtube or social media. Christian websites being marked as fraudulent by Google and therefore inaccessible. That's the sort of treatment I see believers having to endure in the near future. One thing is for certain, those who will stand firm in the Faith will have convictions that are missing in almost all cultural Christians. The only believers who will keep the Faith and pass it on to their children will do so in spite of all the culture can throw at them.

So if a company refuses to serve me because of my beliefs than so be it. I've seen this coming for ten years and I haven't seen anything to change my mind. If anyone has a chance, check out "The Benedict Option", by Rod Dreher. Read the whole book. I don't think anyone will agree with everything he says but we as Christians had better start thinking about a future where the culture that the Church gave birth to no longer wants us around.

Just my two cents.
Nothing less than profound !! Thank You for posting it !!

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When laws are allowing this form of hypocrisy, true believers in America are bound to start facing similar severity of persecution that is taking place elsewhere.

The following story is not the first that I've heard of Christians or conservatives being denied service or being thrown out of an establishment, being recognized for who they are. Whether this concerns anybody is not so much an issue as our need to strengthen as a community of believers for persecution that is fast approaching. Pray for believers, pray for our effectiveness, pray for our perseverance in the faith, and pray for unbelievers that eyes be opened.

I Was Denied Service Because of the Company’s Values, and I’m OK With That
If one agrees that it is okay to deny a gay person service due to religious beliefs then it is hypocritical to then complain if service is denied to oneself.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If one agrees that it is okay to deny a gay person service due to religious beliefs then it is hypocritical to then complain if service is denied to oneself.

I don't think it was meant as a complaint, but rather as an illustration that it seems accepted when it happens to Christians, but not when it happens to a gay person.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see this as discrimination based on religious beliefs so much as the public policy actions taken by Alliance Defending Freedom, which is not a religious organization.

• Haha
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me put it to you this way. As an African American woman, I'd be willing to bake a regular cake for a client who is a white supremacist. I would NOT be willing to provide a white supremacist a cake shaped as one of their hoods or knowingly bake a cake for one of their themed events. For a baby shower or something? Sure. But it would go against who I am as a Black woman to provide anybody services that oppose who I am.

Now, as a Christian woman, I am willing to provide anybody any service that would not oppose my Savior Jesus Christ. My loyalty is to HIM first.

As far as receiving service from a gay person? I'd be willing to walk away just fine if they chose to deny me service because of who I am. But what I QUESTION and find incredibly hypocritical is for gays to challenge Christians on BOTH ends. To insist on exclusive rights on providing service TOTALLY on THEIR terms and to insist on exclusive rights on RECEIVING service TOTALLY on THEIR terms regardless of other people's beliefs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let me put it to you this way. As an African American woman, I'd be willing to bake a regular cake for a client who is a white supremacist. I would NOT be willing to provide a white supremacist a cake shaped as one of their hoods or knowingly bake a cake for one of their themed events. For a baby shower or something? Sure. But it would go against who I am as a Black woman to provide anybody services that oppose who I am.

Now, as a Christian woman, I am willing to provide anybody any service that would not oppose my Savior Jesus Christ. My loyalty is to HIM first.

As far as receiving service from a gay person? I'd be willing to walk away just fine if they chose to deny me service because of who I am. But what I QUESTION and find incredibly hypocritical is for gays to challenge Christians on BOTH ends. To insist on exclusive rights on providing service TOTALLY on THEIR terms and to insist on exclusive rights on RECEIVING service TOTALLY on THEIR terms regardless of other people's beliefs.
I read the article and both describe a form of discrimination and as I wrote, if someone is going to discriminate against a gay person don't complain if you are discriminated against. It matters not what form that discrimination takes.

If, as an African American woman, you feel that it is okay to discriminate against gays because of your religion, then don't complain if someone discriminates against you because of your race or sex.

I'm not opposed to your stance but you should gladly accept discrimination based on your faith.

God bless

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you feel that it is okay to discriminate against gays because of your religion, then don't complain if someone discriminates against you because of your race or sex.
If discrimination is the word that describes a person saying, "Well, I choose to obey God rather than obey humans," then so be it.
But face it. Hypocrisy is a label and an observation of society being hypocritical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If discrimination is the word that describes a person saying, "Well, I choose to obey God rather than obey humans," then so be it.
But face it. Hypocrisy is a label and an observation of society being hypocritical.
Where does God tell man not to make a cake for sinners? If a Christian refuses service to one person for their sin then they should refuse service for other sinners such as most second marriages. Otherwise they are hypocrites.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where does God tell man not to make a cake for sinners? If a Christian refuses service to one person for their sin then they should refuse service for other sinners such as most second marriages. Otherwise they are hypocrites.
You wouldn't understand it without discernment of Scripture. And that lacking of discernment is obvious in your question. And to get discernment of Scripture, you've got to actually care what God's Word says regardless of what anybody else's ideals are. Only then would you understand how God's Word points to baking a cake to celebrate the marriage of a gay couple is a sin.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And I certainly do think it would be wrong to support marriage between 2 people who left one/both spouse(s) for the other. Love them. Extend the gospel to them. Be cordial and the whole 9 yards. But support? No.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You wouldn't understand it without discernment of Scripture. And that lacking of discernment is obvious in your question.
ROTFLMHO!!!! That has got to win the award for weakest response of the year. LOL You don't provide anything to back up your claim other than claiming the problem must rely in my ability to discern scripture.

And to get discernment of Scripture, you've got to actually care what God's Word says regardless of what anybody else's ideals are. Only then would you understand how God's Word points to baking a cake to celebrate the marriage of a gay couple is a sin.
If baking a cake for a gay couple is sin then baking a cake for most people who are marrying for a 2nd time is also just as sinful.

Now please take the time to discern what I wrote.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And I certainly do think it would be wrong to support marriage between 2 people who left one/both spouse(s) for the other. Love them. Extend the gospel to them. Be cordial and the whole 9 yards. But support? No.
I guess my ability to discern scripture is better than you first claimed. Now, read the prior posts and tell me where I said anything against the bakers not baking the cake.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟63,321.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That has got to win the award for weakest response of the year.
Yarddog, if seeking validation of what I said would involve me esteeming your views over my conviction on God's Word, well then, okay - I'll just instead gladly accept my award for the "weakest response of the year." thanks

Now please take the time to discern what I wrote.
Why? Because it's important? Because it matters? Because what you say will contribute to me drawing closer to God or any growth in Christ? no, I think I'll just place my period right here with you and turn the page.

• Prayers
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yarddog, if seeking validation of what I said would involve me esteeming your views over my conviction on God's Word, well then, okay - I'll just instead gladly accept my award for the "weakest response of the year." thanks
No, hopefully you would try to humble yourself a bit and understand what is written before acting as if someone doesn't carry the same Holy Spirit as the one you were baptized with.
Why? Because it's important? Because it matters?
Yes, it does matter that you understand what a person says in their posts.
Because what you say will contribute to me drawing closer to God or any growth in Christ?
Maybe.
no, I think I'll just place my period right here with you and turn the page.
Well, Jesus condemned the Pharisees for being hypocrites because they were judging the people of Israel guilty of their sin while also being guilty of sin. My point, which you seem to have missed, scripture tells us that if a person breaks one commandment he is guilty of breaking them all, so one who refuses to provide service to one who breaks one command should refuse service to another who breaks another and understand when service is refused to us, since we all fail to live up to all of God's commands and each must have Christ, or we are hypocrites.

Paul gives us a long list of unrighteous people who will not inherit the Kingdom of God. If we refuse service to one of those, should we not refuse service to each or lest be guilty of hypocrisy?
[/quote]

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is this course a public accommodation?

It denied services to a Christian, so it isn't a public accommodation.

Public accommodations are only services where Christians are forced to violate their consciences.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Agreed completely. Wedding cakes are participating enough in the service of wedding which many Christians see as a sacrament or religious event. Being forced to either shut down their business or bake cakes for a wedding that goes against their religious beliefs is foul.

The writer of the article the OP linked to isn't taking it personally either and she's not planning to do a big outcry or try to sue or throw any tantrums. Good for her.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I just watched the video again. Thanks for sharing. Were the leaflets distributed inside the cafe? I thought the owner had gotten them from outside his shop. That's the way it sounds in the video.
Were the leaflets distributed inside the cafe?
No they weren't. The people just went in there to get coffee.

Upvote 0