Conservative social media site Gab BANNED from three Banks in three weeks due to media smears

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟715,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me ask you this. When a similar decision was made in regards to Backpage, with the government playing instigator, did you find that troubling as well?

I am not familiar with that.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Value judgements have already been made by the King of the universe. So we ought to obey our King. ;)

If the King of the Universe is going to insist that a neo-nazi gets more consideration than a gay man, then his judgments have no value.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟149,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I’m sure VISA and MasterCard are not the first to do so, isn’t that how they make their living?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. LOL
When the credit card companies found out that they were funding (at least temporarily) sex work, they took steps to cease that since it’s illegal (in most jurisdictions), and did not wish (I assume) to be associated with such a site that encourages sex-work.

This is responsible corporate due diligence.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟715,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When the credit card companies found out that they were funding (at least temporarily) sex work, they took steps to cease that since it’s illegal (in most jurisdictions), and did not wish (I assume) to be associated with such a site that encourages sex-work.

This is responsible corporate due diligence.

There was nothing illegal about either of the conservative sites so the point is moot.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟149,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There was nothing illegal about either of the conservative sites so the point is moot.
Thank you Judge hislegacy, the point was that corporate actions are in the purview of those same corporations and subject only to shareholders and the corporation’s First Amendment rights to free association and freedom of speech.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟919,268.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I’m sure VISA and MasterCard are not the first to do so, isn’t that how they make their living?

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. LOL

Ha, good one. Took me a second. But it does not answer my question. Do you feel that it was OK for the credit card companies to put BackPage out of business?

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The person making the moral decision at the time it has to be made.

If I'm making the moral decision, it's "me."

If you're making the moral decision, that'll be.... wait for it... "you."

After the fact, the people observing the moral decision judge the decision based on what they know at the time...
That makes it...wait for it...not morality, but preference.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Tell us the metric by which we can measure morality. In what units is it counted? Where do we place the yard stick to measure it?
God’s word.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,740,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If the King of the Universe is going to insist that a neo-nazi gets more consideration than a gay man, then his judgments have no value.
They are both equally in sin, and both need redemption. His shed blood can cover both of their sins.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟101,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That makes it...wait for it...not morality, but preference.

Just because morality is subjective, that doesn't reduce it to a simple preference. Morality is subjective because it's a decision every person makes when confronted with a moral dilemma, based on principles they believe in and lessons learned over a lifetime.

It isn't as easy as just following a rule book.

-- A2SG, if you think morality is nothing more than a "preference," then I'd say you're not giving the subject much thought.....

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟101,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After thinking about this, it is very troubling to me not that a bank had a reason to not do business with people that they disagreed with primarily but that it was about the speech content of the business. It is troubling to me because this sets up a precedent in that if you have an ideology that a bank doesn't like they may shut down your account on you without notice. What is truly disconcerting is they aren't shutting you down criminals accounts that are sentenced for rape, murder, and other heinous crimes far far worse than "hate speech" but are "cancelling" those who instead of "doing" evil to them... "think" evil.
Are we going to in the years to come have conservatives that have to shop for banks and businesses to deal with that don't disapprove of what we say/think or are we going to have to silence ourselves just to survive.
I see a connection to the mark of the beast in all of this where you have to take the mark in order to buy and sell (use banks).

I can't help but wonder if this discussion would be different if, say, Black Lives Matter or antifa, or George Soros himself were being refused banking services.

-- A2SG, nah, I'm sure the right-wing would stick up for their right to not be subject to a free market just as diligently....

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I can't help but wonder if this discussion would be different if, say, Black Lives Matter or antifa, or George Soros himself were being refused banking services.

-- A2SG, nah, I'm sure the right-wing would stick up for their right to not be subject to a free market just as diligently....
I doubt Soros would worry about banking services he probably owns a few banks already and it is likely banks are paying BLM royalties to use their name in ads and heaven forbid if leftists do anything about Antifa I would be shocked for sure.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟149,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
if you think morality is nothing more than a "preference," then I'd say you're not giving the subject much thought.....
Why would any thought be necessary if one follows a religion that says “This Book has all you need to know about morals”?

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟101,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I doubt Soros would worry about banking services he probably owns a few banks already and it is likely banks are paying BLM royalties to use their name in ads and heaven forbid if leftists do anything about Antifa I would be shocked for sure.

My hypothetical had nothing to do with "the left", only how different this discussion would be if the groups I mentioned were denied banking services instead.

Would your opinion on this issue be different under that circumstance?

-- A2SG, just curious......

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
My hypothetical had nothing to do with "the left", only how different this discussion would be if the groups I mentioned were denied banking services instead.

Would your opinion on this issue be different under that circumstance?

-- A2SG, just curious......
I think if that happened I would have to check my soft drink to see if someone put a hallucinogen in it.

Upvote 0