Conservative social media site Gab BANNED from three Banks in three weeks due to media smears

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There’s either an objective morality, or no morality, only preferences.

bc7d998ddd37ece9696185b2b4c51fcd.gif

I could accept your opinion as the first and last word on the subject...

.... or I can go with my own opinion that morality is a series of principles which affect ourselves and others in a positive or negative manner, and as such, can only be properly determined or applied in the context of external situations.

Since I see far more evidence to indicate that to be "moral," one must necessarily be a situationalist, than I do for the idea that morality is universal and objective, I'm going to go with my definition over yours, if you don't mind...

...or even if you do. ;)

So while you can say something is wrong, is not grounded in anything and is just your preference.

Again with the Right telling me what I must think and believe!

And to think, the Left are allegedly Totalitarian...

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Who is defining “harm” and “well-being”?

We are, of course -- to the best of our abilities based on our knowledge of the situation at that particular moment.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
After thinking about this, it is very troubling to me not that a bank had a reason to not do business with people that they disagreed with primarily but that it was about the speech content of the business. It is troubling to me because this sets up a precedent in that if you have an ideology that a bank doesn't like they may shut down your account on you without notice. What is truly disconcerting is they aren't shutting you down criminals accounts that are sentenced for rape, murder, and other heinous crimes far far worse than "hate speech" but are "cancelling" those who instead of "doing" evil to them... "think" evil.
Are we going to in the years to come have conservatives that have to shop for banks and businesses to deal with that don't disapprove of what we say/think or are we going to have to silence ourselves just to survive.
I see a connection to the mark of the beast in all of this where you have to take the mark in order to buy and sell (use banks).

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
After thinking about this, it is very troubling to me not that a bank had a reason to not do business with people that they disagreed with primarily but that it was about the speech content of the business. It is troubling to me because this sets up a precedent in that if you have an ideology that a bank doesn't like they may shut down your account on you without notice. What is truly disconcerting is they aren't shutting you down criminals accounts that are sentenced for rape, murder, and other heinous crimes far far worse than "hate speech" but are "cancelling" those who instead of "doing" evil to them... "think" evil.
Are we going to in the years to come have conservatives that have to shop for banks and businesses to deal with that don't disapprove of what we say/think or are we going to have to silence ourselves just to survive.
I see a connection to the mark of the beast in all of this where you have to take the mark in order to buy and sell (use banks).
I’m sure you’re going to lose sleep over this.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,747,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
bc7d998ddd37ece9696185b2b4c51fcd.gif

I could accept your opinion as the first and last word on the subject...

.... or I can go with my own opinion that morality is a series of principles which affect ourselves and others in a positive or negative manner, and as such, can only be properly determined or applied in the context of external situations.

Since I see far more evidence to indicate that to be "moral," one must necessarily be a situationalist, than I do for the idea that morality is universal and objective, I'm going to go with my definition over yours, if you don't mind...

...or even if you do. ;)

Again with the Right telling me what I must think and believe!

And to think, the Left are allegedly Totalitarian...
I’m not telling you what you must think. You can put your victim license away. :)

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,747,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,747,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Drastic has a meaning, are you sure it fits?

Mercy!
If you go as far to close a very large account that will lose your investors a lot of profit..... you tell me if it is drastic or not? The fact this has not happened before that I know of makes it rather drastic. If it were commonplace then we would all be expecting this behavior from firms like this. I think this is setting a precedent that can be dangerous if it continues unabated.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
If you go as far to close a very large account that will lose your investors a lot of profit..... you tell me if it is drastic or not? The fact this has not happened before that I know of makes it rather drastic. If it were commonplace then we would all be expecting this behavior from firms like this. I think this is setting a precedent that can be dangerous if it continues unabated.
It’s an outlier.
It’s not a general trend nor fashion.
A social media outfit that hosts unpopular views has trouble getting the banking it needs to grow!?
...and you go straight to “mark of the beast?”
pfft!

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because all authority on heaven and earth has been given to Jesus. His works, His rules.

Suppose I grant all that. So what?

Why ought I value that authority? Why ought I follow his rules?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
It’s an outlier.
It’s not a general trend nor fashion.
A social media outfit that hosts unpopular views has trouble getting the banking it needs to grow!?
...and you go straight to “mark of the beast?”
pfft!
The mark of the beast essentially says you are "banned" by all banking institutions unless you conform (take the mark) and in conforming you are essentially turning your back on what you believe in order to survive (prosper).
Yes I can make the connection but it requires this type of incident to be drastically repeated but after seeing how the MSM has all parroted each other (agreed) banning any dissenting opinions (beliefs) I can see this action against Gab escalating as far as possible since the only recourse may be the extreme court if we don't have people in Washington able to curtail "thought police" from banning everyone on the right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Who is “we”?

The person making the moral decision at the time it has to be made.

If I'm making the moral decision, it's "me."

If you're making the moral decision, that'll be.... wait for it... "you."

After the fact, the people observing the moral decision judge the decision based on what they know at the time...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I’m not telling you what you must think. You can put your victim license away. :)

I'm only a victim if I'm in any way suffering as a result.

You're far too amusing to be hurtful -- but I'l let you know if that situation changes.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟927,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Amazon and it's subsidiaries is as close to a monopoly on server availability as you can get. That is why they have had such an impact on Parlor to exist. The sheer size and volume of business that Parlor generated limits who can host them. That is why they are virtually out of business until they can find a server system that can accommodate their capacity.

Microsoft Azure, Google cloud, and a host of smaller players are going to be very surprised they do not exist. :p

That said the power of the big tech companies is worrisome. Not sure how we get around it though. The truth is that standardization is what had allowed technology to reach it's current abilities which power our modern world.

I know you will never agree with that, but it is accurate none the less.

I don't think Amazon should be forced to do business with anyone - I also don't think we should be blind to their actions and the 'why' is very important. Without knowing the 'why' we are no better off than other countries who are overrun first by the media, then businesses who walk lock step with one particular party.

And that is my opinion.

Fair,

Let me ask you this. When a similar decision was made in regards to Backpage, with the government playing instigator, did you find that troubling as well?

I think we should all be worried about the power we have invested in corporations and their freedom to act as independent power structures. The issue you will quickly run up against is that if you believe in "smaller government" it leaves us with few remedies.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟927,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There’s either an objective morality, or no morality, only preferences. So while you can say something is wrong, is not grounded in anything and is just your preference.

Tell us the metric by which we can measure morality. In what units is it counted? Where do we place the yard stick to measure it?

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gab provides conservative news and a platform for conservative people, that is why they are persecuted by big Tech. It is as simple as that. Anyone who doesn't come along with the great leftist reset is persecuted.

And a lot of people just stand by and agree with these free speech persecutors.

Who will be silenced next? You?
And apparently part of a larger program:

Radical Democrats attempt communist-style purge of media, try to shut down One America News

The Plan in Congress to Silence Conservatives

• Informative
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0