nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that bits and pieces of the truth can be found in each Christian denomination and not one denomination corners the market on it. I am a cradle Catholic who believes this.

I am also a cradle Catholic who has left the Catholic church because I am unable to bring my children there due to an ex-wife who is vehemently against the Catholic church and who has final say on religious upbringing. Since I get my kids on the weekends, I am unable to attend mass. So I attend an Episcopal church when I can on Sundays with my children and my girlfriend and her child. Lately, my Sundays have been lazy days because during the week with work I get drained due to very long hours on the three days in a row that I work and Sunday is the only day I have to sleep in.

There has been the usual you're going to hell and you're walking away from Jesus because I left the Catholic church, but I ignore it and realize that they are only trying to help with what they know.

Upvote 0

BraveJoan14

"No longer I who lives, but Christ lives in me"
Jul 6, 2018
Emmitsburg, PA
✟11,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Friend, Jesus established a church that holds to His teachings alone (not the pope nor the catechism). The catholics contradict the teachings of Jesus in word and deed! The only church on earth that you will find in the bible is the church of Christ!

If you could give an example, I'd be happy to discuss it. But, the Catholic Church is Christ's church. Here are two teachings of Christ maintained by the Catholic church alone:

Matthew 16
“And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it. “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you shall loose on earth shall be lossed in heaven.”

Luke 22: “Take, eat; this is My body.” And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins."

Jesus wouldn't have named Peter the head of the church if he didn't intend for us to have a central church authority. He was very clear about that.
Not celebrating the Eucharist is an enormous contradiction to Christ's teaching.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Im asking what you claim. You stated that all CC are born again...and the OPs experience was him just getting closer to God. Is it all Baptized Catholics?
The OP didn't give much background of his life as a Catholic but did say "I have been born again and accepted Jesus Christ to my life 6 years ago. I am Catholic btw." I just wanted to let him know that all Catholics are born again. One would be baptized into the Catholic Church. A person who is baptized as an infant later goes through the rite of Confirmation which is the sealing of the gift of the Holy Spirit. Adults who are baptized are also confirmed at the same time.
Or as soon as you become a member, you are born again?
Depends on if you had been properly baptized, in another Christian Church, before joining the Catholic Church.
And is it possible to be properly Baptized without Catholicism being involved?
Yes. I was baptized into the Catholic Church when I was 28 but there were several others in my Catechism class that had been baptized in other Christian Churches.
Lastly does this apply to people outside of Catholicism.....or must one be in the CC to be born again?
You can be just as born again in another Christian Church as you can in the CC.
If, possible, try not to reference or care about what others say. You are stating the truth as you know it ,which needs no defense, and possibly showing the way to readers who havent found it yet....
It is the teaching of the Catholic Church and covered in a sermon a few weeks back.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
One of the other things that has bugged me is that the teaching of once Catholic always Catholic. I wasn't given a choice really as I was born into a Catholic family. I didn't really know of other religions as the town I grew up in had three Catholic churches and the town was a mile by a mile wide. I knew of the Jehovah Witnesses as there were family friends who were JWs. So, I did what was expected of me by my family and went through all the sacraments.

Now that I am an adult I believe if I had been given a choice I would not have chosen the Catholic church. I would have chosen either the Lutheran church or the Episcopal church.

Having been in their services there is a feeling of coming home, like I should have been there all along.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe that bits and pieces of the truth can be found in each Christian denomination and not one denomination corners the market on it. I am a cradle Catholic who believes this.

I am also a cradle Catholic who has left the Catholic church because I am unable to bring my children there due to an ex-wife who is vehemently against the Catholic church and who has final say on religious upbringing. Since I get my kids on the weekends, I am unable to attend mass. So I attend an Episcopal church when I can on Sundays with my children and my girlfriend and her child. Lately, my Sundays have been lazy days because during the week with work I get drained due to very long hours on the three days in a row that I work and Sunday is the only day I have to sleep in.

There has been the usual you're going to hell and you're walking away from Jesus because I left the Catholic church, but I ignore it and realize that they are only trying to help with what they know.
May God be with you. Remember he loves you and wants you to love your children as he loves you. I pray that your situation changes but have you talked to a priest? You may not be attending a Catholic Church at the present time but that doesn't have to mean that you have left.

The Episcopal church is a wonderfully Spiritual Church and similar to the Catholic Church in many practices.

God Bless

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
May God be with you. Remember he loves you and wants you to love your children as he loves you. I pray that your situation changes but have you talked to a priest? You may not be attending a Catholic Church at the present time but that doesn't have to mean that you have left.

The Episcopal church is a wonderfully Spiritual Church and similar to the Catholic Church in many practices.

God Bless

I have talked to a priest, yes. He wasn't too happy that I am going to an episcopal church though and rather I not attend church at all if I am not going to a Catholic mass.

That isn't an option however, as my ex-wife is adamant that I go to a church service (as long as it's not Catholic) with the kids or she'll go back to court and have the days that I have them lessened so that she can take them to her church.

That for me is a no brainer on what I should be doing. I am just so exhausted from work however on Sundays and it is a struggle to even get out of bed.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Having been in their services there is a feeling of coming home, like I should have been there all along.
I was raised a Baptist but left as a teenager and basically my adult learning came through TV Evangelicals. I met a Catholic girl and married her. I loved going to Mass with her because there was no judgmental sermons as I had seen as a Baptist. It was all focused on the love of Christ.

We divorced a few years later but through a miracle God called into the Catholic Church. It wasn't easy, because of my religious background but God slowly opened my eyes to all of the incredible worship.

I certainly hope that you are happy and know that all of God's children are One.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have talked to a priest, yes. He wasn't too happy that I am going to an episcopal church though and rather I not attend church at all if I am not going to a Catholic mass.

That isn't an option however, as my ex-wife is adamant that I go to a church service (as long as it's not Catholic) with the kids or she'll go back to court and have the days that I have them lessened so that she can take them to her church.

That for me is a no brainer on what I should be doing. I am just so exhausted from work however on Sundays and it is a struggle to even get out of bed.
It looks like God has been directing your steps for the best,
surprising or upsetting people along the way.
Trust Him, and Keep looking to Him and trusting Him, as He Says, and He will keep directing you steps, I believe.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Catholicism comprises of more than just Roman catholicism, right? Im not wrong, you are friend.
I suggest you stick to things you know about!

The entire eastern Catholics comprise not much more than 1 percent, and most of them are in full communion with Rome! So accept all the teachings, so 99.5 percent at least accept the catechism and magisterium, Those who don't are not far away,

So you are totally wrong about split into denominations.

Where Protestantism is shattered into thousands of pieces and even within denominations, they do not agree on even basic aspects of doctrine , even baptism, salvation and Eucharist! it is mix and match directly the result of the provably false man made tradition of sola scriptura!
Indeed most accept some extra biblical tradition, they fail to recognise it for what it is. I cited examples if you cared to read them.

Study it.

Please leave explaining Catholicism to Catholics.

Stop misleading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Some of us are. Which is the true church.
The question was at the end of his post..."where is the truth?" The Truth is found in scriptures, not mans interpretation of scriptures. Too many "churches" don't teach the scripture but their own rendition of it, deleting, adding, and changing the parts they don't like to fit their particular doctrine.

We are told to "rightly divide the word of God", not the miriad of doctrinal statements. We are not saved by going to a building where the people claim to be the true church. We're saved by repenting and turning from our wicked ways and walking in the way that God shows in His word. If the leaders of the buildings are not teaching that they are not the place I would send anyone.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been born again and accepted Jesus Christ to my life 6 years ago. I am Catholic btw. Since that time while reading bible I found some contradictions with catholic teachings or confusion. I found that for me it's no difference in what church I am as I think The most important thing is our relationship with Jesus ,but not what church we attend. But also when I start reading bible I get confused with Catholic Church and i feel bad not knowing where is true anymore. It makes me feel like I don't belong neither in Catholic or other churches. I been studying in Vatican theology for a year,but still haven't mad me more clear although it does tract a catholic church as being one of the first and oldest churches ,but trough history there was some bad times where some teachings might changed..Where is the truth some one please help.
Thank God for your actual conversion, in contrast to the fantasy that the act itself of baptism effects regeneration, even without the commanded personal wholehearted repentant faith. (Acts 2:38; 8:36,37)

But since for your typical RC apologist, being Catholic is most important, and anything that impugns the object of their devotion is intolerable, I assume that you have had many RC responses telling you to remain in the hold - which used to (among other internal contradictions ) infallibly teach you were damned to Hell if you did not - and that it are no contradictions btwn Scripture and Catholic teachings (and that your problem is that need to trust Rome above all).

However, while we "Bible Christians" affirm and defend many basic Truths Catholics hold to, the Fact is that that Catholic distinctives are not manifest in the most ancient only wholly inspired substantive authoritative record of what the NT church believed (including how they understood the OT and gospels) is Scripture, which is Acts thru Revelation. And that her gospel is contrary to what is taught in Scripture.

You are speaking with one who was raised devout, and who later returned to being a weekly mass-going Catholic, who by tearful repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus to save me on His account, not my merits, resulted in basic profound changes in heart and life, including an earnest desire to know how to please God according to Scripture, which hunger evangelical radio helped to fill.

And who remained as a weekly mass-going Catholic for about 6 years, increasingly seeing the contrary btwn Catholicism and the NT church. Thus i know the vast essential difference btwn institutional faith and real regeneration. And seeking to serve God and find real fellowship with those who found what I did finally meant sincerely asking God is He would have me go to another church, which prayer He quickly manifestly and answered and led me into evangelicalism, which was manifestly a Right Choice, thanks be to God.

And in which I found real fellowship of the Spirit, even in spontaneous union among believers with this shared conversion experience and relationship with the Lord, and walking in it, which I found rare in my years as a Catholic, thanks be to God, even though there is increasing declension (though i certainly come short of what i could and should be), and it is not as in the golden days of evangelical faith, such as produced so many wonderful classic hymns.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have a problem with history.
The faith was not passed by scripture alone.
Study the first Christians. Before the New Testament.
And also study how that came to be!

You promote your own interpretation of the word, yet you all disagree what it is, because you ignore tradition and authority. You should promote the church because Jesus did!

We already know what the Church handed down. They handed it down via scripture. We all have bibles. When you get your head into scripture you are taught by the Holy Spirit Himself. You put the word in your heart and are guided by the Word. Makes Sense right? THe new covenant promise is that God will put His laws in our hearts and minds, writing them on our heart. God promises us His Spirit. That is no small thing. Why would i ever promote any church after knowing this? I would rather promote the Word.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, One doesn't try to be alone..... loneliness is forced on a man. You will be persecuted by those who were your friends. You will be kicked out of the churches because of what God told you to say and do. You will have to choose. He who cannot forsake mother, Father as children is not worthy of me.

Would be great if we can find a group of people who are on the same step in the journey, knowing the same thing with the same relationship with God..... But then would it actually be a way that few find?

We can follow the multitude in the wilderness and have great companionship and friends all moving the same way.....Or we can follow that faint light, through the trees......and endure ridicule and shame .....yet if we endure to the end....we will find a treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth.......

Yes, sometimes choosing God means losing everything we knew...but like Job, God restores back unto us what we lost.

We may not have a mother and father that are blood, but He gave us many mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters in His church, etc.

God knows our needs..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There can only be one church that Christ established, and it cannot be divided in its beliefs. The doctrine of Sola Scriptura actually often causes such divisions, and significant ones.

"If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector." Matt 18:17

"Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.” Acts 20:28

“And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.” 1 Cor 12:28

“...if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” 1 Tim 3:15

The church simply received a body of beliefs, experiencing first-hand the advent of Christ and learning at His feet, then was led by the Holy Spirit to continue in preserving and handing on that faith. Already at the beginning there were also false gospels and erroneous teachings, distinguishing false teachers from those who were part of the church.

Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suggest you stick to things you know about!

The entire eastern Catholics comprise not much more than 1 percent, and most of them are in full communion with Rome! So accept all the teachings, so 99.5 percent at least accept the catechism and magisterium, Those who don't are not far away,

So you are totally wrong about split into denominations.

Where Protestantism is shattered into thousands of pieces and even within denominations, they do not agree on even basic aspects of doctrine , even baptism, salvation and Eucharist! it is mix and match directly the result of the provably false man made tradition of sola scriptura!
Indeed most accept some extra biblical tradition, they fail to recognise it for what it is. I cited examples if you cared to read them.

Study it.

Please leave explaining Catholicism to Catholics.

Stop misleading.
You should stick to things you know as well. My faith is not shattered.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There can only be one church that Christ established, and it cannot be divided in its beliefs. The doctrine of Sola Scriptura actually often causes such divisions, and significant ones.

"If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector." Matt 18:17

"Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.” Acts 20:28

“And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.” 1 Cor 12:28

“...if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.” 1 Tim 3:15

The church simply received a body of beliefs, experiencing first-hand the advent of Christ and learning at His feet, then was led by the Holy Spirit to continue in preserving and handing on that faith. Already at the beginning there were also false gospels and erroneous teachings, distinguishing false teachers from those who were part of the church.
Sure, its your story tell it how you want.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you choose to go it alone, that's your business. In general, that's foolish talk, however. People are much stronger when they are not alone.
Thats not foolish talk. I have social anxiety disorder, so you dont have all the facts which is not exactly swimming in wisdom itself. So i am alone but not without the Lord. I do quite well, i do have online fellowship. You want to talk about foolishness? Your boasting in your intellect is unwise.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have a problem with history.
The faith was not passed by scripture alone.
Study the first Christians. Before the New Testament.
And also study how that came to be!

You promote your own interpretation of the word, yet you all disagree what it is, because you ignore tradition and authority. You should promote the church because Jesus did!
Nope, i dont go beyond what is written. Love fulfills the law, pretty simple.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.