Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The supposed distinctions you raise are irrelevant.
On the contrary, to interpret "build my church" as a command to rule the whole Christian world as a pope is to turn the actual meaning on its head. Build and govern do not have the same meaning at all.

That cannot be irrelevant. And to interpret the POLITICAL position referred to in the Old Testament as the equivocal of the RELIGIOUS position of bishop of Rome in the New is obviously wrong.

Both of those theories--Papal Supremacy and the meaning of the keys--are refuted by the plain wording of Scripture itself.

Upvote 0

Afra

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2018
Virginia
✟60,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
On the contrary, to interpret "build my church" as a command to rule the whole Christian world as a pope is to turn the actual meaning on its head. Build and govern do not have the same meaning at all.

That cannot be irrelevant. And to interpret the POLITICAL position referred to in the Old Testament as the equivocal of the RELIGIOUS position of bishop of Rome in the New is obviously wrong.

Both of those theories--Papal Supremacy and the meaning of the keys--are refuted by the plain wording of Scripture itself.
Nah

And for the record, I did not state that "build my church" is a "command to rule the whole Christian world as a pope". The preceding verse indicates that the Church is being discussed. The authority is found in the keys.

And nobody is equating "a political position" to "a religious position". I told you that keys symbolize authority, and that is certainly the case, whether you like it or not.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And for the record, I did not state that "build my church" is a "command to rule the whole Christian world as a pope".

I did not quote you as saying that, but what you did say makes the same assertion:

ME: "Actually there is nothing in Scripture that indicates that he did name Peter to be the head of the church OR that it was to be centralized."

YOU: "Not true."

And nobody is equating "a political position" to "a religious position". I told you that keys sythmbolize authority, and that is certainly the case, whether you like it or not.
That is one possible meaning, but there is no reason to think that it has any connection to the key, not keys, given in the OT. What commission was given to Peter could have been any number of different things, and I explained the most likely one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are serious issues with the Roman Church to be sure but I would advise against the temptation of being a Lone Ranger christian as the Bible knows nothing of a believer of this sort. I am a confessional Lutheran and of course I will recommend the same church. I believe the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lithuania may fit the bill. I know they are part of a communion that I am not all that familiar with though they have declared themselves in communion the my church body. If your are curious read the Augsburg confession as an introduction to what we believe Scripture teaches.

All I can say is that I will pray for you and others like you in your country. And I would agree that it is a problem when one needs to explain whole sections of scripture to fit a tradition no matter how ancient. Just make sure that you still attend a church as church is not a building rather it where God's people to gather to hear God's Word and receive His Sacraments. Life is hard, you NEED Jesus!

God Bless,

It is good that You pray, also know that some people that loves the Lord and truly belongs to Him sometimes get cast out and rejected and even cursed by their homechurch. The reasons could sometimes be false accusations or a deceise that they have that someone point out is proof of possesson. Then the churchmemmbers try to drive out spirits out of that person even from childhood but see nothing happens and soon the person feels rejected by the whole church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.