Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, that's your personal opinion anyway. The truth is that non-Catholics often disagree substantially on what that "most ancient and only wholly inspired substantive authoritative record" means to say.
Yet "Bible Christians" (the class whom Catholics mostly attack) testify to greater and stronger unity in core beliefs than Catholics , and which is a more authentic testimony to what Catholicism really believes than paper or perfunctory professions.
And my point is that the church Christ established is singular and visible, unified in basic beliefs, traceable to the beginning of the faith,
You mean the Roman Catholic "one true church" or the Eastern Orthodox, "one true church,"which have substantial and irreconcilable disagreements btwn themselves, including on what Tradition says and means? So much for singular and visible, while Catholicism abounds in disagreements and which would be more manifest if her members were more committed to doctrine, as her traditionalist sects are.

In addition, do you really want to try argue that,

That the RCC is the church of the NT, despite Catholic distinctives not being manifest in the only wholly inspired substantive authoritative record of what the NT church believed?

But that an assuredly (if conditionally) infallible magisterium is essential for determination and assurance of Truth (including writings and men being of God) and to fulfill promises of Divine presence, providence of Truth, and preservation of faith, and authority.

And that being the historical instruments and stewards of Divine revelation (oral and written) means that Rome is that assuredly infallible magisterium. Thus any who knowingly dissent from the latter must be in rebellion to God?

And thus a faith which began in dissent from the historical magisterium cannot be the true faith?
and definitely not based on Scripture alone as if someone could pick up the bible centuries after the church compiled it and fully and accurately come to know what Christianity is all about without the witness of and input from the historical church that came before him.
"What Christianity?" And "accurately?" Do you really want argue that the uninspired words of popes and councils are more trustworthy than the wholly inspired-of-God words of Scripture?

Or that popes and councils can and do speaks as wholly inspired-of-God and also provide new public revelation thereby as could and did men such as the apostles?

And that the veracity of popes and councils are not subject to testing by Scripture as being the supreme established authoritative standard, as even the preaching of apostles was, and who appealed to it as so? (Acts 17:2,11)
And that's regardless of whether or not the Roman Catholic Church happens to fulfill that definition of church as described above.
No, that is not "regardless" is your assertions are going to have any real polemical weight.
And the unified body of beliefs of the RCC are easily enough found in its Catechism BTW.
You mean its Catechism (which one?) is wholly inspired of God or at least wholly infallible, or that is may contain errors, or have teachings that are subject to later "clarification" (contradictions) as many past RC teachings have , and as your traditionalist brethren earnestly contend?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,598.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you have asked for clarification. I don't think that anyone is saying that Scripture is not authoritative. As an aside, Jesus is the mediator, not Scripture. Scripture is revelation about Jesus.
============
In the first 5 centuries after the Resurrection, we had many scroll of scriptures used in churches. We also had many, many interpretations of the faith. I find it extremely misleading to say that my or your translation of a particular translation of a particular scroll of Scripture is authoritative. In Scripture, it the gathered Church that clarifies the meanings of Scripture. We are told that the apostles would hand down the Truth have the generations.

I do NOT believe that each of us should or is equipped to look to a current translation and authoritatively interpret Scripture to such a degree that we can question the interpretations of the Church over the millennia.

There was truly a mess when the first few councils met (evener though the 8th century). However, the councils did sort a lot out. The councils clarified and decided with regard to the many differences in doctrine (calling those who disagreed "heretics"). The councils decided which scrolls were to be considered Scripture, the very WORD of God. More importantly, many scrolls were rejected. The councils gave us the creeds of the Church.

Obviously, the Roman church made errors over the centuries, with the Orthodox recognizing the break in about 1000. One should pray on the meaning of the word "reformation". Luther, Calvin and later Wesley had no intention of fragmenting the Church, or disavowing many of the central doctrines as many modern day fundamentalists have done (following the lead of Zwingli from Reformation times).

We can point out the many differences between those who believe in Church and eucharist. One would expect that after a thousand years without an ecumenical council. However, there are many beliefs that the mainstream churches hold in common, many of which are not held by the fundamentalists.
==========
So, sure, we argue about the details of our understanding some of the doctrines regarding scripture. We argue about the meanings of primacy and sufficiency. Roman and Orthodox have had their own councils and therefore believe that these councils are binding. However, the fundamentalist notion of solo scriptura is foreign to all of the mainline churches, all of whom follow the Tradition of the Early Church in treating Scripture and doctrine.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Question: If Scripture does not speak from a position of authority, then how exactly are you a believer in what it says?
That would lead an observer, like myself, to note that in some faiths traditions and sacraments, as you mentioned, have superseded the Scriptures themselves which is ridiculous to say the least.

It is said in scriptures, there is only one mediator between man and God and that is the man Jesus Christ. Given that he is the Word made flesh, the only mediator between man and God is the Word itself. This idea that has been described as "tradition" [in your own words] that "things added to the scriptures" have the same authority is blatantly false in every sense. Which the Word itself rebukes.

These are not my own ideas, interpretations, nor traditions. These are scriptures themselves. If need be I will go back and add chapter / verse for clarification, so you can look it up.
I'm not in this to win it. I just wanted to clarify a few things for the sake of truth.

Upvote 0

Doulos 7

Jul 10, 2018
Oklahoma
✟11,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you could give an example, I'd be happy to discuss it. But, the Catholic Church is Christ's church. Here are two teachings of Christ maintained by the Catholic church alone:

Matthew 16
“And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it. “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you shall loose on earth shall be lossed in heaven.”

Luke 22: “Take, eat; this is My body.” And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins."

Jesus wouldn't have named Peter the head of the church if he didn't intend for us to have a central church authority. He was very clear about that.
Not celebrating the Eucharist is an enormous contradiction to Christ's teaching.

My friend, consider this:
1. The teaching of Peter as the pope contradicts the Greek grammatical structure of Matthew 16:18!
Read this, they say it much better than I ever could!
http://trustingodamerica.com/Petra.htm
2. Clarify what you mean by the 'Eucharist' I find the word nowhere in my new testament!

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,598.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
2. Clarify what you mean by the 'Eucharist' I find the word nowhere in my new testament!

I would note that the word "trinity" isn't there either.

I would suggest that shows that folks might benefit from the teachings and conclusions of the early Church, which gave us the canon of Scripture, and helped us in understanding, giving us the Creeds.

• Agree
Reactions: Doulos 7
Upvote 0

Doulos 7

Jul 10, 2018
Oklahoma
✟11,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would note that the word "trinity" isn't there either.

I would suggest that shows that folks might benefit from the teachings and conclusions of the early Church, which gave us the canon of Scripture, and helped us in understanding, giving us the Creeds.
I agree! although I still have not found the catholic church in the bible! That is of course excluding the two prophecies of Paul in 2 Thessalonians 2 and 1 Timothy 4:1-4.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus wouldn't have named Peter the head of the church if he didn't intend for us to have a central church authority. He was very clear about that.
Actually there is nothing in Scripture that indicates that he did name Peter to be the head of the church OR that it was to be centralized.

• Agree
Reactions: Doulos 7
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,598.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hmmm... Creeds huh? What I find funny is that every church has a creed (and they all contradict the bible) except for the church that Jesus built!
Nonsense!

We've had the Nicene Creed that the Church has agreed upon for over 1500 years.

• Agree
Reactions: BraveJoan14
Upvote 0

Afra

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2018
Virginia
✟60,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Actually there is nothing in Scripture that indicates that he did name Peter to be the head of the church OR that it was to be centralized.
Not true. The keys of the kingdom of heaven were given to Peter, and Peter alone.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not true. The keys of the kingdom of heaven were given to Peter, and Peter alone.
The keys of the kingdom are not a promise that Peter was to be the ruler of a universal church.

And even if it were...it would apply to Peter alone (as you said), not to anyone else such as the next several hundred bishops of Rome.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yet "Bible Christians" (the class whom Catholics mostly attack) testify to greater and stronger unity in core beliefs than Catholics , and which is a more authentic testimony to what Catholicism really believes than paper or perfunctory professions.

You mean the Roman Catholic "one true church" or the Eastern Orthodox, "one true church,"which have substantial and irreconcilable disagreements btwn themselves, including on what Tradition says and means? So much for singular and visible, while Catholicism abounds in disagreements and which would be more manifest if her members were more committed to doctrine, as her traditionalist sects are.
Bible Christians, or those who identify as such anyway, disagree on many core beliefs, some involving basic soteriological matters such as infant baptism and baptismal regeneration: involving whether or not baptism even regenerates. Other bible Christians disagree on the deity of Jesus, Sabbath vs the Lord’s Day for rest/worship, and there's much controversy over John chap 6 and the real presence. These are all things that the EO and RCC agree on, btw, and have agreed on before the NT was even written. So Tradition plays its role regardless of how one describes and defines the term, and that's a major point; while the RCC for its part formally recognizes the many agreements between the two churches, amazingly considering the centuries in isolation, certain commentators form the EO side seem to glory in emphasizing the differences, which often amount to differences in semantics only or to the lengths to which one (usually the RCC) may go in describing and defining some doctrines. A rose is a rose…
In addition, do you really want to try argue that,

That the RCC is the church of the NT, despite Catholic distinctives not being manifest in the only wholly inspired substantive authoritative record of what the NT church believed?
The NT was never intended to be some sort of catechism. One’s private interpretations can easily conflict with both RCC doctrine and the intended meaning of Scripture. Additionally, scripture even tells us that there are many things unrecorded that Jesus said and did, and instructs to carry on both written and oral traditions/teachings. The Church simply held the things given to her from the beginning.
But that an assuredly (if conditionally) infallible magisterium is essential for determination and assurance of Truth (including writings and men being of God) and to fulfill promises of Divine presence, providence of Truth, and preservation of faith, and authority.
Infallibility is nothing different from someone picking up the bible, reading and interpreting it, and then believing and telling others how to live their lives accordingly. These are primarily supernatural truths to begin with that our faith deals with, and one generally won’t bother living according to such truths unless they’re firmly held to be true. Infallibility is simply an honest statement regarding the fact that God established a Church for the purpose of receiving, preserving, and proclaiming the truths, the “deposit of faith”, that He’s given us. It’s simply the place where the buck finally stops regarding Christian truths and any controversies that might surround them.
And that being the historical instruments and stewards of Divine revelation (oral and written) means that Rome is that assuredly infallible magisterium. Thus any who knowingly dissent from the latter must be in rebellion to God?

And thus a faith which began in dissent from the historical magisterium cannot be the true faith?
The odds increase that, as we stray from the Church God established, we stray from the truth. Lutherans strayed less but JWs, being good Bereans/ Bible Christians as they believe, have as much right to claim correct understanding as anyone else going by those monikers.
"What Christianity?" And "accurately?" Do you really want argue that the uninspired words of popes and councils are more trustworthy than the wholly inspired-of-God words of Scripture?

Or that popes and councils can and do speaks as wholly inspired-of-God and also provide new public revelation thereby as could and did men such as the apostles?
I’m arguing that the Church has a purpose, a necessary one. And Philip was already a member of that Church, with proper understanding in place due to his exposure to the gospel through the disciples, without the benefit of the New Testament incidentally, when he laid out the truth for the Eunuch who couldn’t understand the meaning of Scripture on his own.
And that the veracity of popes and councils are not subject to testing by Scripture as being the supreme established authoritative standard, as even the preaching of apostles was, and who appealed to it as so? (Acts 17:2,11)
Tradition must weigh in, or else you have the situation we have today, expert exegetes disagreeing with each other on significant beliefs. Christian truths are thus rendered a matter of best-guess theology in the end when Scripture, alone, is the baseline, with little or no reference to the Churches lived experience/ history/tradition.
No, that is not "regardless" is your assertions are going to have any real polemical weight.
My assertion is that such a Church must necessarily exist, because Sola Scriptura simply doesn’t fill the wishful thinking bill its proponents desire it to fill. The SS emperor has no clothes-hate to be the one to convey this uncomfortable truth.
You mean its Catechism (which one?) is wholly inspired of God or at least wholly infallible, or that is may contain errors, or have teachings that are subject to later "clarification" (contradictions) as many past RC teachings have , and as your traditionalist brethren earnestly contend?
It’s the closest thing we’ll have to knowing God’s nature and will, in conjunction with the Scripture and Tradition it relies on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Afra

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2018
Virginia
✟60,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The keys of the kingdom are not a promise that Peter was to be the ruler of a universal church.
Not true. In the immediately preceding verse our Lord tells us that he will build his Church on Peter, and we know from Isaiah 22, for example, that the person who holds the keys has authority.

I note that you have not offered any plausible alternative as to the meaning of our Lord giving St. Peter the keys.

And even if it were...it would apply to Peter alone (as you said), not to anyone else such as the next several hundred bishops of Rome.
I agree. That Scripture does not indicate that it would apply to anyone after Peter. But I never disputed this.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Afra

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2018
Virginia
✟60,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No, i dont have any followers. I just follow the Lord myself.
You follow your own personal interpretations of the Bible, do you not? It seems to me that you are the pastor and flock of your own personal denomination.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You follow your own personal interpretations of the Bible, do you not? It seems to me that you are the pastor and flock of your own personal denomination.
Actually i base much of my understanding on what i have learned debating scripture on CF.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Actually i base much of my understanding on what i have learned debating scripture on CF.
This is dangerous. You rarely see exegesis here that takes into account everything we know about the author and context.

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As far as being my own pastor goes, yes thats true i guess. Doesnt scripture say the Word is able to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart? What pastor can do that? I have the Word. :) I have the Spirit who leads me. I believe God promised us His Spirit. Only Children need a pastor to teach them. I do however believe in reaching out to other Christians if its needed for support in some way.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is dangerous. You rarely see exegesis here that takes into account everything we know about the author and context.
Thats good because i rarely agree with denominational theology anyway. As far as following Christ goes, i believe anyone who seeks will find, and everyone who knocks it will be opened to them.

Matthew 7 “[c]Ask, and it will be given to you; [d]seek, and you will find; [e]knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you [f]who, when his son asks for a loaf, [g]will give him a stone? 10 Or [h]if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.