Confession - A Roman Catholic thread

Why are so few Catholics participating in the Sacrament of Confession today?

• They don't need to - they don't commit sins that need to be confessed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The parish priest is busy enough without having to hear so many confessions.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • It takes too much time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is a personal matter between the Catholic and God.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • They can receive communion without undergoing Confession.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is an excellent insight. It is a duty of a priest to convey this message to his parish, but that does not seem to be happening.
Well, I can't speak for every parish. I know in mine you can wait 30 minutes - 1 hour in line to reach the confessional. That is with 2-3 priests doing confessions continually for several hours. Around Easter, we wear our priests out listening to confessions. The Sacrament of Reconciliation is probably the topic of the homily at least 2-3 times a year and it is stressed. I think most of these homilies are centered on this sacrament as a means of God's grace and mercy. It is stressed not as a duty; but a way to repent and turn back to God. And with all that, many Catholics see it more as a duty than a needed means for us to be restored and forgiven.
Truly, I am not sure this is only a Catholic shortcoming though. I think modernism has taught many to judge themselves by their own standards of holiness, not those of God.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well, I can't speak for every parish. I know in mine you can wait 30 minutes - 1 hour in line to reach the confessional. That is with 2-3 priests doing confessions continually for several hours. Around Easter, we wear our priests out listening to confessions. The Sacrament of Reconciliation is probably the topic of the homily at least 2-3 times a year and it is stressed. I think most of these homilies are centered on this sacrament as a means of God's grace and mercy. It is stressed not as a duty; but a way to repent and turn back to God. And with all that, many Catholics see it more as a duty than a needed means for us to be restored and forgiven.
Truly, I am not sure this is only a Catholic shortcoming though. I think modernism has taught many to judge themselves by their own standards of holiness, not those of God.

I agree. Too many Christians fail to see sin as God sees it and fail to embrace His forgiveness through Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is an excellent insight. It is a duty of a priest to convey this message to his parish, but that does not seem to be happening.
~

I'd say two things to that.

- Just because a priest attempts to convey something, it doesn't mean the congregation is receptive to it.
- Related to the first point, changing attitudes and culture takes time. I remember once being told in seminary that if you wanted your congregation to really understand something, you needed to tell them about it every way you could think of, at every opportunity, for a year. And then when you were truly and heartily sick of it, some of them might just be starting to notice.

Few of us deliver any message that intensively for a year. (There's always more than one issue to address, for one thing!) So it takes even longer for messages to get through.

Blaming the priests is, in this case, a bit of a cheap shot, I think.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh please, there is a really big difference between confessing adultery and confessing little white lies and losing your patience with the kids.

"Little white lies" Hmmmm. Where does God consider them to be not sin? Revelation 20 explicitly states that all liars will be cast into the Lake of Fire which burns forever.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
~

I'd say two things to that.

- Just because a priest attempts to convey something, it doesn't mean the congregation is receptive to it.
- Related to the first point, changing attitudes and culture takes time. I remember once being told in seminary that if you wanted your congregation to really understand something, you needed to tell them about it every way you could think of, at every opportunity, for a year. And then when you were truly and heartily sick of it, some of them might just be starting to notice.

Few of us deliver any message that intensively for a year. (There's always more than one issue to address, for one thing!) So it takes even longer for messages to get through.

Blaming the priests is, in this case, a bit of a cheap shot, I think.

I understand the problem, yet, as we have seen, there is at least one Catholic poster (tz620q) who is in a parish where confession is being conveyed by its priests effectively and is being understood and practiced. If the parish priest doesn't at least attempt to get the word out, then how do you expect members of the parish to take Confession seriously?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
"Little white lies" Hmmmm. Where does God consider them to be not sin? Revelation 20 explicitly states that all liars will be cast into the Lake of Fire which burns forever.
I didn't say little white lies weren't a sin. I said lets not put committing adultery on the same level as telling little white lies and loosing patience with your kids.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I didn't say little white lies weren't a sin. I said lets not put committing adultery on the same level as telling little white lies and loosing patience with your kids.

So some sins need to be forgiven via a priest, but others are okay without the intercession of a priest. Interesting. Where do you draw the line? For example, if you happen to miss Sunday mass because of your kid's soccer game, do you need to confess that?

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Catechism of the Catholic Church - Sin

Is worshiping God more important than a soccer game?

Thanks for the link to the Catechism. As I read it, although there are varieties of sins, there remains the need for confession.

Unfortunately, we live in a culture which is pressuring children to conform to secular activities and which refuses to recognize Sunday as any more or less significant than any other day. It takes strong convictions to stand against it and it uses children in its war on Christian values.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
So some sins need to be forgiven via a priest, but others are okay without the intercession of a priest. Interesting. Where do you draw the line? For example, if you happen to miss Sunday mass because of your kid's soccer game, do you need to confess that?
Yes, that needs to be confessed. There are many Masses to choose from. A soccer game is no reason to miss.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It takes strong convictions to stand against it and it uses children in its war on Christian values.

Do you think that might be imputing more intention behind things like the scheduling of soccer games than might actually be there?

I do understand what you mean - it drives me nuts, too, that once children get to a certain age I seem to all but lose their families from church - but I think the onus is on Christians to live as Christians, not on the world to make it convenient.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do you think that might be imputing more intention behind things like the scheduling of soccer games than might actually be there?

I do understand what you mean - it drives me nuts, too, that once children get to a certain age I seem to all but lose their families from church - but I think the onus is on Christians to live as Christians, not on the world to make it convenient.

I agree. I really doubt it is intentional for the most part. Our society has become so secularized that most people consider church attendance to be a quaint nineteenth-century idea.

The problem is that Christians set their priorities to fit those of the world, so that it is a huge social sin not to allow your child to play soccer for the school team when there might be a conflict.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that Christians set their priorities to fit those of the world, so that it is a huge social sin not to allow your child to play soccer for the school team when there might be a conflict.

Amen and amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One of the reasons I appreciate that most of the Orthodox Church is still on the Julian Calendar, is that important feast days like Easter and Christmas usually don't coincide with the secular public holidays. It doesn't just seperate our celebrations from the secular interpretation, but it also requires extra sacrifice on our part, as we have to use some of our precious annual leave in order to take part in the feasts. Some may see that as a negative but I see it as a big plus.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The sacrament of confession, although not restricted by any means to the Roman Catholic Church, has found its development in a unique way within that denomination. It is addressed at some length in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Here are just a handful of paragraphs -

1424 It is called the sacrament of confession, since the disclosure or confession of sins to a priest is an essential element of this sacrament. In a profound sense it is also a "confession" - acknowledgment and praise - of the holiness of God and of his mercy toward sinful man.

It is called the sacrament of forgiveness, since by the priest's sacramental absolution God grants the penitent "pardon and peace."

It is called the sacrament of Reconciliation, because it imparts to the sinner the love of God who reconciles: "Be reconciled to God." He who lives by God's merciful love is ready to respond to the Lord's call: "Go; first be reconciled to your brother."

1484 "Individual, integral confession and absolution remain the only ordinary way for the faithful to reconcile themselves with God and the Church, unless physical or moral impossibility excuses from this kind of confession." There are profound reasons for this. Christ is at work in each of the sacraments. He personally addresses every sinner: "My son, your sins are forgiven." He is the physician tending each one of the sick who need him to cure them. He raises them up and reintegrates them into fraternal communion. Personal confession is thus the form most expressive of reconciliation with God and with the Church.

1456 Confession to a priest is an essential part of the sacrament of Penance: "All mortal sins of which penitents after a diligent self-examination are conscious must be recounted by them in confession, even if they are most secret and have been committed against the last two precepts of the Decalogue; for these sins sometimes wound the soul more grievously and are more dangerous than those which are committed openly."
When Christ's faithful strive to confess all the sins that they can remember, they undoubtedly place all of them before the divine mercy for pardon. But those who fail to do so and knowingly withhold some, place nothing before the divine goodness for remission through the mediation of the priest, "for if the sick person is too ashamed to show his wound to the doctor, the medicine cannot heal what it does not know."

The question of this thread is - Where are the lines of people at Catholic churches prior to mass waiting for confession?

When I was young, each Catholic church of the ten large parishes in my otherwise small city was staffed by at least four priests who regularly heard confessions. Each church had multiple confessionals for this purpose and they were kept busy.

Today, the parishes are, if anything, numerically larger following the closure and consolidation of many parishes. Of the surviving parishes some do not even have a full-time priest and the rest which do, count themselves fortunate to have one individual priest. Whereas in my childhood there were typically three or more masses on Sunday, today a Catholic church typically must make do with one Sunday mass a perhaps a Saturday evening mass, if they are fortunate.

Now, the Catholic Church is clear that one cannot take communion unless one has met the requirements, which includes undergoing the sacrament of confession. If a church (at least the ones in my neck of the woods) has 1,000 faithful parishioners, all of whom attend weekly mass and who take communion, the time required to hear their confessions would not be insignificant. Even at the breakneck speed of five minutes per person, it would require 5,000 minutes for the priest to complete the sacrament for his flock. For those who are curious, that is well in excess of 80 hours, which is more than three days with no breaks for eating, sleeping, or other physical necessities.

Now, some may say that my example is too large. Okay, so if there are only 100 communicants that still would require 500 minutes, which is well in excess of 8 hours - with no coffee breaks, bathroom breaks, or meal breaks.

That leaves several possible reasons, which I have handily provided in my attached poll.

I am absolutely certain that I will be accused of not providing a reason that some can find acceptable, but I don't claim to be the best pollmaker at CF, or, for that matter, even a good one. So, if you don't like my choices, then don't respond to it.

Here's another possibility. Catholics value the Last Rites because they believe that it is important to make a final confession before entering eternity. As a practical matter, making a final confession and receiving the Last Rites does seem to provide comfort in most cases. On the other hand, when someone dies suddenly, without the Last Rites, Catholics see this as a tragedy. I've heard it called "an unshriven death."

I remember the case of a mother whose son, an eighteen year old, was killed in a fraternity initiation. He died from consuming too much alcohol. She was furious, not only because her son was dead, but because the fraternity brothers could have called a priest in time for her son to get the Last Rites. Since they didn't, she believes that her son may have to spend a hundred years in Purgatory before entering Heaven.

I understand that the RCC has backed away from belief in Purgatory in recent years. I'm sure many Catholics still take the idea seriously.

So one reason to go to confession is to avoid Purgatory, or at least reduce the amount of time you spend there. If Roman Catholics no longer believe in Purgatory, that could be one reason confession is less urgent than it used to be.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
RCC has not backed away from the belief in purgatory. At the end of the day, its God that chooses what happens to a soul. But, we all have a hand in our destiny dont we! Confession is something i truly believe in. It is such a wonderful sacrament. Jesus is full of Mercy and He gave us this special sacrament.

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Indeed, my Pastor makes time for me when I need him; he follows Christ's admonition that "what every you do for the least of My people, you do for Me".

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Indeed, my Pastor makes time for me when I need him; he follows Christ's admonition that "what every you do for the least of My people, you do for Me".
This becomes very difficult when you have one pastor stretched over thousands of families.

Upvote 0