Confession - A Roman Catholic thread

Why are so few Catholics participating in the Sacrament of Confession today?

• They don't need to - they don't commit sins that need to be confessed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The parish priest is busy enough without having to hear so many confessions.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • It takes too much time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is a personal matter between the Catholic and God.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • They can receive communion without undergoing Confession.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟368,725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The sacrament of confession, although not restricted by any means to the Roman Catholic Church, has found its development in a unique way within that denomination. It is addressed at some length in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Here are just a handful of paragraphs -

1424 It is called the sacrament of confession, since the disclosure or confession of sins to a priest is an essential element of this sacrament. In a profound sense it is also a "confession" - acknowledgment and praise - of the holiness of God and of his mercy toward sinful man.

It is called the sacrament of forgiveness, since by the priest's sacramental absolution God grants the penitent "pardon and peace."

It is called the sacrament of Reconciliation, because it imparts to the sinner the love of God who reconciles: "Be reconciled to God." He who lives by God's merciful love is ready to respond to the Lord's call: "Go; first be reconciled to your brother."

1484 "Individual, integral confession and absolution remain the only ordinary way for the faithful to reconcile themselves with God and the Church, unless physical or moral impossibility excuses from this kind of confession." There are profound reasons for this. Christ is at work in each of the sacraments. He personally addresses every sinner: "My son, your sins are forgiven." He is the physician tending each one of the sick who need him to cure them. He raises them up and reintegrates them into fraternal communion. Personal confession is thus the form most expressive of reconciliation with God and with the Church.

1456 Confession to a priest is an essential part of the sacrament of Penance: "All mortal sins of which penitents after a diligent self-examination are conscious must be recounted by them in confession, even if they are most secret and have been committed against the last two precepts of the Decalogue; for these sins sometimes wound the soul more grievously and are more dangerous than those which are committed openly."
When Christ's faithful strive to confess all the sins that they can remember, they undoubtedly place all of them before the divine mercy for pardon. But those who fail to do so and knowingly withhold some, place nothing before the divine goodness for remission through the mediation of the priest, "for if the sick person is too ashamed to show his wound to the doctor, the medicine cannot heal what it does not know."

The question of this thread is - Where are the lines of people at Catholic churches prior to mass waiting for confession?

When I was young, each Catholic church of the ten large parishes in my otherwise small city was staffed by at least four priests who regularly heard confessions. Each church had multiple confessionals for this purpose and they were kept busy.

Today, the parishes are, if anything, numerically larger following the closure and consolidation of many parishes. Of the surviving parishes some do not even have a full-time priest and the rest which do, count themselves fortunate to have one individual priest. Whereas in my childhood there were typically three or more masses on Sunday, today a Catholic church typically must make do with one Sunday mass a perhaps a Saturday evening mass, if they are fortunate.

Now, the Catholic Church is clear that one cannot take communion unless one has met the requirements, which includes undergoing the sacrament of confession. If a church (at least the ones in my neck of the woods) has 1,000 faithful parishioners, all of whom attend weekly mass and who take communion, the time required to hear their confessions would not be insignificant. Even at the breakneck speed of five minutes per person, it would require 5,000 minutes for the priest to complete the sacrament for his flock. For those who are curious, that is well in excess of 80 hours, which is more than three days with no breaks for eating, sleeping, or other physical necessities.

Now, some may say that my example is too large. Okay, so if there are only 100 communicants that still would require 500 minutes, which is well in excess of 8 hours - with no coffee breaks, bathroom breaks, or meal breaks.

That leaves several possible reasons, which I have handily provided in my attached poll.

I am absolutely certain that I will be accused of not providing a reason that some can find acceptable, but I don't claim to be the best pollmaker at CF, or, for that matter, even a good one. So, if you don't like my choices, then don't respond to it.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Explain this please :)
1 John 1:9
Romans 7:20
I experience sin on a quasi tangible level, people leave this byproduct behind naturally that behaves like the bible describes sin. I've found that confessing these sins that have been "disassociated" is effective in dissolving these lumps that obscure God's presence.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, there may be one more thing that is related to what you're talking about now. If it is not the case that they think the church has lost moral authority, they do know that the church has substantially softened its rules about receiving sacramental confession.

Once the church starts saying that you don't need to confess before every reception of Communion, but that once every so often will do, it's easy for the laymen to take that change and run with it. For a lot of American Catholics today, what was routine in my youth is now considered by Catholics themselves to be the mark of a member who is "really devout."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I used to go every week almost when a kid. It was normal. These days people just don't bother! They have gotten slack in this sacrament.

Because I am a massive sinner I go very regularly. Approx twice a month or more. In the last 3 years I have been approx 90 times! But, I have been fighting adultery! I always return to confession. I am so grateful for this wonderful sacrament. I hope that one day I will be more pure and need the confessional less!

God bless you people.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟368,725.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I used to go every week almost when a kid. It was normal. These days people just don't bother! They have gotten slack in this sacrament.

Because I am a massive sinner I go very regularly. Approx twice a month or more. In the last 3 years I have been approx 90 times! But, I have been fighting adultery! I always return to confession. I am so grateful for this wonderful sacrament. I hope that one day I will be more pure and need the confessional less!

God bless you people.

Who, among us, is not a massive sinner?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, there may be one more thing that is related to what you're talking about now. If it is not the case that they think the church has lost moral authority, they do know that the church has substantially softened its rules about receiving sacramental confession.

Once the church starts saying that you don't need to confess before every reception of Communion, but that once every so often will do, it's easy for the laymen to take that change and run with it. For a lot of American Catholics today, what was routine in my youth is now considered by Catholics themselves to be the mark of a member who is "really devout."

Yes, I think anytime any church lays out what the laity interpret as "minimum requirements" even when that wasn't the intention, that's exactly what the church will get - the minimum.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0