Confederate statue that sparked "Unite the Right" rally to come down.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Confederate Monument That Sparked Deadly Charlottesville Rally To Be Removed Saturday

The statue of Robert E. Lee that sparked the deadly Unite the Right rally four years ago in Charlottesville, Va., will be removed Saturday, the city council announced Friday.

Along with it, another statue of Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson that sits nearby will also be removed, though the stone bases of both statues will remain for now. Fencing around both monuments was set up Friday afternoon.

What will happen to the statues after they are removed, though, is still unknown.

Well, UTR started a fight, and lost it four years later. Much like the subjects of the statues themselves.

Thoughts?

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's a shame that 21 year old got charged with 1st degree murder, and virtually nobody stood up for him.

Huh?

Robert E. Lee was *way* over 21 when he turned traitor, but he was never tried for it, instead they erected statues to him.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,359.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, UTR started a fight, and lost it four years later. Much like the subjects of the statues themselves.

I declare an unofficial Funniest Post OF The Week award. I'm nominating this one for this week (he said, literally wiping some g and t off his keyboard).

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,955.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's a shame that 21 year old got charged with 1st degree murder, and virtually nobody stood up for him.
Why should stand up for a guy who drove into a crowd and only managed to kill one person? That's pitifull.

13e.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I guess Mr. Fields shouldn't have pointed a weapon at a crowd. I'm sure he had adequate counsel. Should I feel sympathy for a violent white supremacist?

Some around here would say yes.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I declare an unofficial Funniest Post OF The Week award. I'm nominating this one for this week (he said, literally wiping some g and t off his keyboard).

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all week.

(Misters Lee and Jackson, however, have already left the premises...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well he seems to have you on his side.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Some around here would say yes.

Last summer there was a burst of neo-confederate sympathy around this board, so I adopted an avatar for the first time. I think I need to reinstate Gen. Sherman to my profile. My alt. was for someone who professed to understand US Civil War history, but failed miserably. I got this one out to see if she recognized someone from her own country's history, but alas she didn't or chose to ignore my challenge.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Well this thread went off the rails back in the day. Anyhoo, a happy ending.

"What will happen to the statues after they are removed, though, is still unknown."

Charlottesville’s Lee statue meets its end, in a 2,250-degree furnace

Melted down in secret, the divisive Confederate monument will be turned into a new piece of public art​

Six years ago, groups with ties to the Confederacy had sued to stop the monument from being taken down. Torch-bearing white nationalists descended on the Virginia college town to protest its removal, and one man drove his car through a crowd of counterprotesters, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer and injuring 35 others.

The statue’s defenders more recently sought to block the city from handing Lee over to Charlottesville’s Black history museum, which proposed a plan to repurpose the metal. In a lawsuit, those plaintiffs suggested the century-old monument should remain intact or be turned into Civil War-style cannons.

But on Saturday the museum went ahead with its plan in secret at this small Southern foundry outside Virginia, in a town and state The Washington Post agreed not to name because of participants’ fears of violence.

Swords Into Plowshares, a project led by the two women, will turn bronze ingots made from molten Lee into a new piece of public artwork to be displayed in Charlottesville.

Upvote 0