Conditional Immortality Supports Annihilationion, Refutes Eternal Conscious Torment and Universalism

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Now now, don't be like that!
Coming from a fundamentalist background, when I went to stay with them, I felt it my duty to point out their doctrinal errors! It went down like a lead balloon, but they bore with me!
They live in one of those quaint English villages you said you would love to visit, in an area known as the Cotswolds, with plenty more of those quaint villages.
Why not go and stay there for a couple of weeks, they take guests. Then you can discuss praying to the departed with them

I would love that. Actually, I had four cats and they all died except one. When she passes, I am going to take a trip over there. And another to Australia again. I have relatives in both.

Which village, I've got google earth up.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟78,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would love that. Actually, I had four cats and they all died except one. When she passes, I am going to take a trip over there. And another to Australia again. I have relatives in both.

Which village, I've got google earth up.
Sent you a pm. Hope you enjoy your holidays, when the cat allows!

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Sent you a pm. Hope you enjoy your holidays, when the cat allows!

Yeah. Unfortunately, a feral kitten showed up, so, of course, I had to feed it. It gets along well with the raccoons.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Now now, don't be like that!
Coming from a fundamentalist background, when I went to stay with them, I felt it my duty to point out their doctrinal errors! It went down like a lead balloon, but they bore with me!
They live in one of those quaint English villages you said you would love to visit, in an area known as the Cotswolds, with plenty more of those quaint villages.
Why not go and stay there for a couple of weeks, they take guests. Then you can discuss praying to the departed with them

The street name didn't come up.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can feel as strong about your disagreement as you want; with your admission that the Jews did not have a single unified view of hell, your argument that Jesus' "never corrected the Jews" falls to the ground. There was no single dominant view to correct; He'd be expected by the people at the time to teach His Own view. Which He did.
I'm fed up with this constant harangue apparently deliberately misrepresenting what I said, simply for the sake of argument. Jesus' own view mirrored the view that I described in my post which you have spent a few days minutely dissecting without I might add refuting anything I said. In that respect as I said what Jesus taught, go read my post, mirrored the Jewish belief in a place of eternal fiery punishment which they called both Gehinnom and sheol. I am talking only about that particular view not any other views which the Jews might have held.
Additionally, your newly edited argument above actually requires the premise that Jesus "never corrected the Jews" about *any* view of gehenna (since you no longer restrict your premise to the eternal-torment view), which is transparently false even with all your presuppositions intact. He corrected them, and the Gospels record them as corrections.
A deliberate misrepresentation I never said or implied "Jesus 'never corrected the Jews' about *any* view of gehenna.'" I don't care say whatever you want to say I believe that you know exactly what I am saying and all this bloviation is just for the purpose of harassing me.
Once again, Der Alter, and for the eleventeenth time, nobody is trying to refute any of your sources -- we all agree that those are genuine Jewish views. I'm showing that the evidence you quoted don't lead to the conclusion you claimed.
Thank you for your opinion. I don't find it to be compelling.
Unlike all of your sources, the guy I quoted actually is presenting a synchronic study of what the Jews believed when Jesus was here. Your sources have nothing at all to tell us about what Jews believed in Jesus' time, and they don't claim to. You didn't even look for dates, so you didn't notice that. If you had looked, you would have found that the Talmudic quotes are from AD 300-600ish; they're NOT from the Mishna that would have been around in Jesus' time, but from vastly later analysis accumulated on top of that. (And we know that for sure, because we have copies of the Mishna.)
So you are saying everything I quoted supposedly was created out of nothing around 300-600ish? I am not writing a paper for credit in a college course. I think my post included quotes from Judith and Enoch which I think are from the inter-testamental period. If you think the Mishna refutes what I posted quote some here.
It's NOT nonsense to point to cherry-picking together with other problems; it might be wrong, but it's not nonsense. For a specific example, when you cherry-picked the quote about Christians being withered forever without escape, which was your ONLY support for claiming that Jews believe the punishment of gehenna is eternal, that was a cherry-pick because the sentence right before it said that for everyone else gehenna ends, some because they burn up utterly and some because they ascend to heaven. The data you looked at didn't support your view, so you kept reading until you found data you liked
I'm not going to address this nonsense. Did I quote anything incorrectly or out-of-context? I include links just to preclude false accusations like this. It can't be cherry picking when I include some information which does not support my position. Before any further accusations of cherry picking etc. quote what I posted "in context" and show how I misrepresented etc. Or keep it to yourself.
Unlike you, I accept your data, and point out what I know about it -- from the very first message, I told you that your data is from way later than the life of Jesus.
Saying ain't proving!
Maybe you did see a misrepresentation, or maybe you didn't; either way, you didn't show me it (and still haven't, I wonder what you imagine it is!). Instead you flunked your SAT "reading comprehension" by accusing the quote of a bunch of errors that aren't even possible to find in the quote.
Go look in the mirror amigo!
(The parable was, of course, part of the evidence he was presenting, so I'm puzzled that you list it as though it were a problem.)
Seriously? You don't know those articles are all scholars' conclusions too? Less than that; they are brief collective summaries of MANY scholars conclusions, including mentions of contradictions where scholars disagree. Your best reference was merely a _list_ of old (not ancient) Jewish claims, without any attempt to put them in any kind of chronological order. Even the Talmud is scholars' conclusions, although the scholars then had different concerns than ours do.
And the one guy you quoted walks on water? I'm still not writing a college paper for credit.
More importantly, they're not the right kind of evidence to prove the argument you made -- because they don't claim to be about what the Jews at Jesus' time believed, and your argument was that Jesus was not correcting the belief of the Jews at the time about the views you quoted.
Q.E.D.
Wow, that's great -- now you add an unsubstantiated speculative ad hominem. I dunno, maybe! I wonder, Der Alter, are YOU "a Christian with a particular agenda?" (Of course you are. And there's no shame in that, except the shame you just brought to it.)
Very likely. While you are haranguing me about alleged errors of some kind, your guy did the same thing. What little I read at your link, which I can't seem to find now, your guy seems to be presenting only one view. Here is a quote from Judith from the JE,

"The Lord, the Almighty, will punish them on the Day of Judgment by putting fire and worms into their flesh, so that they cry out with pain unto all eternity"
which was included in my post.
I'm not sure why you posted those. Just bang, a bunch of repeated quotes with no explanation.
You acted like I only posted one quote.
I don't need any more, since I've disproved your ridiculous claim that none of the statements are presented as myths; posting more and more evidence isn't needed.
But you know they're presented as myths, if you read the entire article. It's chock-full of quotes attributed to angels and demons, actions which are supposed to take place in the future, explicitly contradictory details of cosmic geography such as the size and location of gehenna, and so on. Your claim that nothing in it is presented as myth is simply impossible. Nobody who's glanced at it believes it.
Was anything I quoted a myth? If I recall correctly I did not quote anything mythical.
But again, this is trivial compared to the fact that your evidence is all for the wrong time period to support your argument; and that's trivial compared to the fact that your argument is based on the disproven and now-conceded assumption that Jesus was speaking against the background of an exclusively eternal-torment view of Gehenna. Your argument is falsified three times over. The only one your argument COULD survive (if it survived the others) is the point about myths, but you apparently didn't even read your own source there to assess what I was saying
The fact that the Jewish Encyclopedia article, I quoted, contained some ideas based on myths, etc. is irrelevant unless I quoted some. Did I? Or is this some verbal flim flam trying to discredit what I posted for "guilt by association"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

William Tanksley Jr

Jul 28, 2017
Oceanside
✟11,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
That's false. The translator here does not render the plural of the phrase "forever", but "to the ages":

I've already explained this, Clement, so my objection remains unaddressed. Your expression "the translator here does not render..." is a complete category error, because every single version you list does not allow the version's "translator" to "render" phrases, but only to provide a single, fixed gloss for each Greek word. The translator does not have liberty to "render" a phrase as he would in every other translation job; he must simply look up the word in a list and copy the standard English down.

Neither do at least 4 other translations of Lk.1:33 listed on that site. And there are others also that do not translate the phrase "forever" at Lk.1:33. And that could be multiplied many times over where the phrase occurs elsewhere in ancient usage.

This glossing is NOT the real work of translation; glossing a text is important pre-translation work, but it's something any high schooler with a few month's training can do, given the appropriate tools. Perhaps more importantly, the people who compiled all of those word-for-word glosses were not "rendering" anything outside from the simplistic rules their editors had pre-decided for them.

A translation, as opposed to a word-for-word gloss, has to take context into account in order to express the reality that the words in language normally do not simply match up to one another in the way a gloss needs to. It's common, therefore, that a longer phrase is necessary, as is the case with the phrase I'm discussing and the noun you're attempting to render without consideration of the phrase, /eis ton aiona/.

My Latin teacher was _scathing_ toward students who were asked to translate, but who instead provided glosses with this kind of woodenness. He was hilarious. "Latin poetry!" He would mock-rhapsodize to the unfortunate student, and would mock-glowingly describe the cleverness of the author. (My Greek teacher was too serious for that kind of thing, not to mention too patient and understanding.) Anyhow, we got the point, something your foreign language teacher didn't convey to you -- different languages are truly _different_. Greek isn't English with different words.

Also, I've already pointed out how the phrase in Lk.1:33 refers to a limited period of time that has a beginning and an ending.

It actually says "He will sit on David's throne forever, and His kingdom will have no end." The evidence in this one verse is so clear that your only recourse is to split the verse in half and talk about it in two widely separate paragraphs without mentioning the connection.

In our previous interaction you attempted to justify this by claiming that it was something OF His kingdom (like peace) that wouldn't have an end; but this would have a completely different grammatical structure as a dependent clause, not a straightforward genitive. More than that, this passage is alluding to Old Testament passages (2 Sam 7, Isa 9:7, Dan 7:14, etc.) which phrase it differently to say that the heir of David will rule over a kingdom which does not end and which is forever. It's not just that your claim is completely without merit; it's that it's contradicted by huge volumes of evidence.

The one credible feature of your scheme is your claim that the Bible might be talking about a large number of ages to follow the present age. This would allow SOME of the passages to speak of "the duration of the coming age" by /eis ton aiona/ in contradiction to the vast weight of evidence that all other texts use the phrase to mean 'forever'. The problem is that there's almost no Biblical language to support this idea; it's possible only for a single verse that I can recall, and there's no hint that the author meant us to interpret "throughout the ages to come" to redefine and override the two-age picture everywhere else used in the Bible, not to mention redefining the normal reading of the phrase /eis ton aionia/ -- especially since the natural reading of that phrase is to interpret its use of /aion/ to mean "a long space of time."

Here's the LSJ's entry for the meaning of this word that we're discussing. Notice how it documents how the word is observed to work in phrases, rather than (as you've done) isolating it from its context?

__II long space of time, age, αἰὼν γίγνεται 'tis an age, [Refs 4th c.BC+]; esp. with Preps., ἀπ᾽ αἰῶνος of old, [NT+8th c.BC+]; δι᾽ αἰῶνος perpetually, [Refs 4th c.BC+]; all one's life long, [Refs 5th c.BC+]; δι᾽ αἰῶνος μακροῦ, ἀπαύστου, [Refs 4th c.BC+]; τὸν δι᾽ αἰ. χρόνον for ever, [Refs]; εἰς ἅπαντα τὸν αἰ. [Refs 5th c.BC+]; εἰς τὸν αἰ. [LXX+1st c.BC+]; ἐξ αἰῶνος καὶ ἕως αἰῶνος[LXX]; ἐπ᾽ αἰ.[LXX]; ἕως αἰῶνος[LXX+4th c.BC+]; eternity, opposed to χρόνος, [Refs 5th c.BC+]
__II.2 space of time clearly defined and marked out, epoch, age, ὁ αἰὼν οὗτος this present world, opposed to ὁ μέλλων, [NT]:—hence in plural, the ages, i.e. eternity, [LXX+1st c.BC+]; εἰς τοὺς αἰ[LXX+NT]; ἀπὸ τῶν αἰ., πρὸ τῶν αἰ., [NT]

Since Christ's reign ends as per 1 Cor.15:24-26.

I also pointed out your error in that -- trivial and obvious, since Luke 1:33 explicitly says there's no end to Christ's kingdom, while 1 Cor 15 doesn't explicitly say that Christ's reign ends, but only that there's an order of events in Christ's reign in which handing the kingdom over to God is the last event. The explicit phrasing of Luke 1:33, "his kingdom has no end" interprets the possible implication of "He must reign until".

Furthermore, in the LXX, Mic. 4:5 has eis ton aióna kai epekeina, "into the eon and beyond". If eis ton aiona meant "forever" there would be nothing after "forever", no "beyond".

This is a translation of the Hebrew which literally means "forever continually" (l'olam ad). It's a strangely loose translation, since /epekeina/ literally means "on the other side", perhaps the translator trying to emphasize this phrase against Mic 4:7's stress on the present age (the woodenly literal phrase there is "from now UNTIL the age", rather than 4:5's "for the eon and the other side").

Likewise Dan. 12:3 has eis tous aiónas kai eti, "into the eons and further".

This verse is a much more natural translation of the Hebrew; the Greek doesn't mean "further" as you claim, but rather "continually," which is a much closer match to the Hebrew.

And so on similarly with other examples that could be provided.

I've done a comprehensive study of the uses of all phrases that are related to the word "forever" in Hebrew, Greek, and English. So I happen to know there are some I can't explain. The problem is that your claims don't require you to show me some I cannot explain; you'd need to show me why all of the professional translators, lexicographers, and Biblical scholars of whatever specialty are simply _wrong_ about this phrase, and in some kind of coincidence the word-for-word gloss overrides the lexicons.

I think what you should have said is my argument rests on the pro Damnationist translators biased to the theological position of endless punishment being wrong when they change the literal meaning "to the ages" into "forever".

It's "for the age", not "to the age" -- the preposition /eis/ (normally "into") when used of a time period only means "into" in certain narrow circumstances, where it's usually translated as "approaching" (this is another case where the strict rules of a word-for-word gloss is misleading).

But your claim simply doesn't work. There's no motive for this kind of conspiracy, and no evidence for it. Almost all of the uses of this phrase have nothing to do with eternal torment; in fact, only two of them do, and one of them is a REALLY unusual usage that doesn't fit any of the standard phrases (Rev 14:11, "for ages of ages" instead of "for the ages of the ages").

Furthermore, this conspiracy not only encompasses mostly texts that have nothing to do with torment, but also extends into other ancient Greek texts which aren't Jewish or Christian (and of course you probably know that the Jews were VERY light on the idea of eternal torment, and may not have even believed it before the time of Christ -- the evidence is VERY sparse, and even texts like Judith use phrases that seem equivocal in comparison with Rev 20:10).

In so doing they change the word of God and deceive the masses. In so doing they also interpret instead of faithfully translate the Holy Scriptures.

Nope, they're also Plato scholars and so on. See the LSJ's list of examples of those phrases, or the BDAG.

Reactions: Mark Corbett
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've already explained this, Clement, so my objection remains unaddressed. Your expression "the translator here does not render..." is a complete category error, because every single version you list does not allow the version's "translator" to "render" phrases, but only to provide a single, fixed gloss for each Greek word. The translator does not have liberty to "render" a phrase as he would in every other translation job; he must simply look up the word in a list and copy the standard English down.

You falsely claimed the phrase eis ton aiona is rendered by all translators as "forever". Now you are trying to weasle out of that with this unsupported claim?

More than that, this passage is alluding to Old Testament passages (2 Sam 7, Isa 9:7, Dan 7:14, etc.) which phrase it differently to say that the heir of David will rule over a kingdom which does not end and which is forever. It's not just that your claim is completely without merit; it's that it's contradicted by huge volumes of evidence.

There is no contradiction:

"Some see the words of the celestial messenger Gabriel in Luke 1:32-33 as undermining the idea that the eons of Christ's reign will eventually end. In these verses we read that Gabriel told Mary, "And the Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he shall reign over the house of Jacob for the eons [eis tous aionas]. And of his kingdom there shall be no end." The words, "and of his kingdom there shall be no end," are understood by most Christians to mean that Christ will never stop reigning. However, were this the correct meaning of Gabriel's words, they would be in direct conflict with the words of the apostle Paul."

"Since it is evident from what Paul says in 1 Cor. 15:24-28 that Christ's reign will end when he abolishes death, how do we harmonize this with what Gabriel told Mary? As noted earlier, the word aionas (in the expression eis tous aionas) is simply the plural form of the Greek noun aión. The expression literally means "for the eons." Since we can understand Gabriel to be referring to the final eons prior to the "end" or "consummation" referred to in the above passage, this part is not problematic. But what about the words, "and of his kingdom there shall be no end?" To understand this, we must keep in mind that, according to Paul, Christ is ultimately going to "deliver the kingdom to God, the Father." This will take place after Christ has abolished death and subjected all to himself. Moreover, the kingdom that Christ is going to deliver to the Father is the same kingdom which he is prophesied as receiving from God (the "Ancient of Days") in Daniel 7:13-14. It is this kingdom which will be his [Christ's] for the eons to come, thus making it the "eonian kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Pet. 1:11), since it belongs to Christ during the coming eons of his reign. But when the kingdom is returned to God at the end of Christ's reign (and at the consummation of the eons during which Christ reigns), the kingdom is not going to end. It will simply cease to be the "eonian kingdom" of Christ (for the eons of Christ's reign will have ended), and will become the eternal kingdom of the Father."

That Happy Expectation: January 2015

And to him is given dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, and all peoples, nations, and languages do serve him, his dominion is a dominion age-during, that passeth not away, and his kingdom that which is not destroyed. (Daniel 7:14, YLT)

to Him is granted jurisdiction and esteem and a kingdom, and all the peoples and leagues and language-groups shall serve Him; His jurisdiction, as an eonian jurisdiction, will not pass away, and His kingdom shall not be confined (Daniel 7:14, CLV))

I also pointed out your error in that -- trivial and obvious, since Luke 1:33 explicitly says there's no end to Christ's kingdom, while 1 Cor 15 doesn't explicitly say that Christ's reign ends, but only that there's an order of events in Christ's reign in which handing the kingdom over to God is the last event. The explicit phrasing of Luke 1:33, "his kingdom has no end" interprets the possible implication of "He must reign until".

1 Corinthians 15:22-28 indicates an end to Christ's reign in five ways. First by stating it is "until" (v.26). Secondly by saying He gives up the kingdom to the Father (v.24). Third by the abolishing of all rule & authority & power (v.24). Fourth by the subjecting of all enemies (v.25-27). Fifth by God becoming "all in all" (v.28). These last two points effectively rule out any need for ruling by Christ. Love will have conquered all.

1 Cor.15:22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

This verse is a much more natural translation of the Hebrew; the Greek doesn't mean "further" as you claim, but rather "continually," which is a much closer match to the Hebrew.

eti: "still, yet...Definition: (a) of time: still, yet, even now, (b) of degree: even, further, more, in addition." Strong's Greek: 2089. ἔτι (eti) -- still, yet

NASB Translation
after (1), any longer (7), anymore (4), besides (1), further (4), longer (15), more (6), moreover* (1), still (43), yes (2), yet (8).

Strong's Greek: 2089. ἔτι (eti) -- still, yet

I've done a comprehensive study of the uses of all phrases that are related to the word "forever" in Hebrew, Greek, and English. So I happen to know there are some I can't explain. The problem is that your claims don't require you to show me some I cannot explain; you'd need to show me why all of the professional translators, lexicographers, and Biblical scholars of whatever specialty are simply _wrong_ about this phrase, and in some kind of coincidence the word-for-word gloss overrides the lexicons.

Surely you don't expect anyone to blindly believe you or your alleged sources, pro Damnationist biased ones included, as if they were substitute pontiffs for the one in Rome, without any evidence besides their say so. What separates these Protestant popes from the Pharisees & scribes, or "professionals", of Jesus' day? Which of the two did His disciples follow? Why take those hired "professionals" opinion over that of modern day scholar universalists or Early Church Father universalists who were superior in their knowledge of the Greek language compared to antiuniversalists?

"Augustine himself, after rejecting apokatastasis, and Basil attest that still late in the fourth and fifth centuries this doctrine was upheld by the vast majority of Christians (immo quam plurimi)."
The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis: The Reviews Start Coming In
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Ilaria Ramelli, The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis: A Critical Assessment from the New Testament to Eriugena (Brill, 2013. 890 pp.)

Scholars directory, with list of publications:
Ilaria L.E. Ramelli - ISNS Scholars Directory

I've already pointed out translations that disproved your claim that all translations render the phrase eis ton aiona as "forever". As for lexicographers, i've noticed they ignore Early Church Father universalists regarding words like aion and aionios. Is that due to the lack of thoroughness in their work, or their bias for the purpose of worldly things like fame, position & riches?

"The first three chapters chronicle the three leading characteristics of the NT lexicographical tradition: reliance on predecessors, employment of the gloss method, and dependence on versions. Lee demonstrates how lexicographers in their choice of glosses frequently drew on the rendering of a given word in current translations and shows the chain of development from the kjv to Tyndale, from Tyndale to Luther, and from Luther via Erasmus to the Vulgate. He also points to the limitations of the gloss method and advocates a definition approach instead... Hence even BDAG (2000) is but the last in a series of works with a long, checkered pedigree that should now give way to new efforts..."

http://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/47/47-3/47-3-pp481-547_JETS.pdf

The Curious Case of Gerhard Kittel, the Nazi lexicographer:
The Curious Case of Gerhard Kittel

Myth: Biblical Reference Works Are Objective
Myth: Biblical Reference Works Are Objective (Gupta)

" Lee goes on to say that lexicographical work in Greek – especially the vocabulary of the LXX – is far from over not just in terms of demand, but in terms of accuracy. There is a huge amount of sources not yet incorporated into our understanding of Koine Greek. Undertaking exhaustive and integrative analysis of this body of language is therefore essential to interpreting Scripture rightly."
Lexicography for the Church

"Recent studies have demonstrated the inadequacies of many of the standard Greek lexicons, including Bauer & Dankers:"

Christian Identity in Corinth: A Comparative Study of 2 Corinthians ...
By V. Henry T. Nguyen

Christian Identity in Corinth

Lee says "...NT lexicons are contaminated by glosses from the standard translations, going back as far as the Vulgate."
Advances in the Study of Greek

"Baldwin’s use of the lexicons as authoritative raises the question: Do the
lexicons provide authoritative boundaries for the meaning and glosses of αὐθεντέω
in the various contexts? Lee, Nida and Louw are agreed that the answer is ‘no’, not
only for αὐθεντέω, but in general. Lee asserts, ‘The body of attestations accumulated
in the lexicons has reached its greatest extent yet. But because of the ways it has
been gathered there is an inherent unreliability’ (Lee, Lexicography, p. 124). Nida
and Louw write: ‘We must not assume that the English glosses in a Greek–English
lexicon can provide accurate information about the designative and associative
meanings of a Greek term’ (Nida and Louw, Lexical Semantics, p. 59)"

http://jgrchj.net/volume10/JGRChJ10-7_Westfall.pdf

It's "for the age", not "to the age" -- the preposition /eis/ (normally "into") when used of a time period only means "into" in certain narrow circumstances, where it's usually translated as "approaching" (this is another case where the strict rules of a word-for-word gloss is misleading).

The fact is translators use "for", "unto", "to", "until", "into" for phrases involving EIS and time such as in key passages such as Rev.20:10. You have provided no evidence for your opinion. And in light of my comments above, replying with some unsubstantiated lexicon opinion would be pointless.

But your claim simply doesn't work. There's no motive for this kind of conspiracy, and no evidence for it.

One motive is that if you don't "tow the line" your book won't sell. So slant everything to the buyers. Of course simple ignorance may be the reason in many cases. Ultimately Satan is the mastermind behind all false doctrines, especially those that characterize Love Almighty as a sadist for the endless aions of eternity. The Eternal Tormentists ruled with the sword for over a millennium, with their Crusades, Inquisitions, burning the opposition they deemed heretics & their writings. Who do you suppose was the god of the age (2 Cor.4:4) at that time?

As for evidence, it is foolproof:

Considering, then, that the Greek word aionios has a range of meanings, biased men should not have rendered the word in Mt.25:46 by their theological opinions as "everlasting". Thus they did not translate the word, but interpreted it. OTOH the versions with age-lasting, eonian & the like gave faithful translations & left the interpreting up to the readers as to what specific meaning within the "range of meanings" the word holds in any specific context. What biased scholars after the Douay & KJV traditions of the dark ages "church" have done is change the words of Scriptures to their own opinions, which is shameful.

Jeremiah 8:8 "How can you say, 'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has made it into a lie.
9 "The wise men are put to shame, They are dismayed and caught; Behold, they have rejected the word of the LORD..."

"After all, not only Walvoord, Buis, and Inge, but all intelligent students acknowledge that olam and aiõn sometimes refer to limited duration. Here is my point: The supposed special reference or usage of a word is not the province of the translator but of the interpreter. Since these authors themselves plainly indicate that the usage of a word is a matter of interpretation, it follows (1) that it is not a matter of translation, and (2) that it is wrong for any translation effectually to decide that which must necessarily remain a matter of interpretation concerning these words in question. Therefore, olam and aiõn should never be translated by the thought of “endlessness,” but only by that of indefinite duration (as in the anglicized transliteration “eon” which appears in the Concordant Version)."

http://concordant.org/expositions/the-eons/eon-indefinte-duration-part-three/

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf

If Jesus were teaching eternal punishment He would have used words which were better suited to express endlessness than olam, aion and aionios. Those 3 words are often used in the ancient languages, including the Scriptures, of finite time periods that end, i.e. of durations that are not eternal.

If Christ meant "endless" punishment at Mt.25:46, why use the ambiguous aionios? Why not instead use the word aperantos ("endless"; 1 Timothy 1:4)? Or why not use the words "no end" as in Lk1:33b: "And of His kingdom there will be no end"? Or why not use the word aidios (eternal, Rom.1:20; Jude 6)? Or why not use the word of His contemporary Philo, apeiron (unlimited). The answer seems obvious.

If one wishes to teach something clearly, they use words that are definitive or less ambiguous, not words that are full of ambiguity. Therefore Christ did not teach "endless" punishment or torments that have "no end".

Nope, they're also Plato scholars and so on. See the LSJ's list of examples of those phrases, or the BDAG.

I went through the entire list of eis ton aiona occurences in the NT the other day. And many in the LXX. Why would i need to see a "list of examples" when i've already given you a list of Biblical examples contrary to your theory?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right, He did. And when He said "perish" he also meant it; and when He said the saved attain to the age to come and can no longer die He meant that. And when Jesus said "fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell," he used the word that means to make someone dead, and very clearly and specifically said that this making dead is part of why you should fear (obey) God rather than men.
This reminds me of the movies Now You See Me and Now You See Me 2. Referring to Matthew 25:46 I said in the gospels Jesus is recorded as saying "death" seventeen times, when He said death He meant death. Please explain how your response addresses my post?
This is a rhetorical dialogue with someone who believed in metempsychosis. He's talking specifically about the person's claim that the punishment for not preparing oneself to see God is to be incarnated as an animal, but he points out that this punishment actually doesn't correct the person's behavior at all, because they don't remember it. He's not giving a general statement about the definition of a punishment; he's only pointing out that his opponent is wrong in a specific claim about the purpose of the alleged reincarnation.
So is it your opinion that Justin meant that sometimes punishment is punishment although the recipient is not conscious of it and sometimes it is not?
Funny, your examples are neither one compared to death. You could have quoted Luke 12:5 like I did, which actually IS a comparison to killing. You didn't want to, because it says the punishment of gehenna includes being killed.
So a person who has a millstone around their neck who is thrown into the sea does not die?
The verse about Judas says it's worse for him to have existed than not existing; the one about those who cause little ones to stumble says the fate is worse than having a millstone hung about your neck and being thrown into the sea. Neither one says the fate doesn't include death.
So you think dying one way is better than dying some other way.
The prophecy about Judas would be true merely if he suffered more than life gave him joy. How long that would take I have no idea.
So in those passages Jesus was not saying anything that a person should be concerned about?
The comparison to a millstone does include death -- in fact, adding the millstone makes the death by drowning quicker and therefore less painless then throwing a man in without a millstone. This suggest the point is to suggest a _certain_ and _rapid_ death without any hope of rescue, not to compare any measure of pain. The same measurement is used elsewhere, for example for the unholy city Babylon in Revelation, which is destroyed "in a single day."
So you think Jesus was saying that it is better to die one way than to die another?
That's from Mark 9; if you keep reading you'll find explanations of Gehenna. In that passage, gehenna is always said to be worse than "entering the kingdom" (or some other expression for eternal glory) "without a hand" (or otherwise crippled). NEVER is Gehenna directly compared to a painful experience; always it's said to be worse than the permanent loss of a part of your body (a common mistake is to assume it's being compared to the pain of amputation, but you will find the language obvious once you look at it). In Matt 5:29, this comparison is explicitly extended -- there Gehenna is specifically said to be the loss of one's "whole body."
Okay? And?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

William Tanksley Jr

Jul 28, 2017
Oceanside
✟11,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
You falsely claimed the phrase eis ton aiona is rendered by all translators as "forever". Now you are trying to weasle out of that with this unsupported claim?

I explained precisely what I meant, gave evidence, defined the terms, and explained why your gloss-based versions cannot be used as evidence for what the correct translation is. Your response is to throw around accusations of dishonesty and not only ignore my evidence, but to actively claim I didn't state anything. I leave this to the reader to judge -- my post is above.

The words, "and of his kingdom there shall be no end," are understood by most Christians to mean that Christ will never stop reigning. However, were this the correct meaning of Gabriel's words, they would be in direct conflict with the words of the apostle Paul."

No, the problem is that you're deliberately inventing "eons of Christ's rule" in order to avoid the clear meaning of the phrase /eis ton aiona/ as it's used in all Greek, secular and sacred.

But what about the words, "and of his kingdom there shall be no end?"

Indeed. You have to build an elaborate system of eschatology with the single purpose of rectifying the contradiction your own forced reading of the common Greek phrase /eis ton aiona/. There is zero evidence for your elaborate age-system aside from the phrase itself, and your system would make no sense in any of the secular uses of the phrase.

But when the kingdom is returned to God at the end of Christ's reign (and at the consummation of the eons during which Christ reigns), the kingdom is not going to end. It will simply cease to be the "eonian kingdom" of Christ (for the eons of Christ's reign will have ended), and will become the eternal kingdom of the Father."

I'm going to read one of your own prooftexts back at you.

to Him is granted jurisdiction and esteem and a kingdom, and all the peoples and leagues and language-groups shall serve Him; His jurisdiction, as an eonian jurisdiction, will not pass away, and His kingdom shall not be confined (Daniel 7:14, CLV))

Just as with Luke 1:33, this states the extent of Christ's kingdom both positively and negatively. And the negative statements demolish your claims. Christ's personal rule over His kingdom begins at the ascension, and ends _never_, does not pass away from Him, and is not ever destroyed (the CLV is dependably bad as always, "confined" is a ridiculous gloss used merely because there's another word that also means "destroyed").

1 Corinthians 15:22-28 indicates an end to Christ's reign in five ways. First by stating it is "until" (v.26). Secondly by saying He gives up the kingdom to the Father (v.24). Third by the abolishing of all rule & authority & power (v.24). Fourth by the subjecting of all enemies (v.25-27). Fifth by God becoming "all in all" (v.28). These last two points effectively rule out any need for ruling by Christ. Love will have conquered all.

1. An "until" only means an end when the event is a natural terminus, such as death or other cessation. There is no such event here; Christ is described as having two parts of His reign, one as a king during battle and one as a victorious king.
  2. When He hands over the kingdom He does so by handing it over with Himself as the king, a sacrifice of self-submission to God. He does NOT do so by abdicating. As all of the other eschatological passages clearly show, both God and the Lamb are the occupants of the Throne after the defeat of death.
  3. The "abolition of all authority" is explicitly while Christ is still king. Christ is no more abolishing His own authority than Paul intends to say that God is subject to Christ when "all things" are subject to Christ. Exactly the same exclusion argument refutes your idea that Christ destroys His own authority, as Paul used to oppose the idea that God set Himself in subjection to Christ.
  4. "The subjection of all enemies" is not even an _argument_; that's what YOU claim is during Christ's kingdom, so you're merely contradicting your own claim.
  5. God being all in all happens because everything submits to Him, including Christ. This doesn't in the slightest imply that Christ is not a king.
Your idea that love rules out a need for ruling is contrary to ALL Biblical eschatology, which always places rulership in all the saved at all times, and puts God in rulership over us. Love does not rule out ruling; rather, it makes the ruler the greatest servant. As is obviously the case here.

Surely you don't expect anyone to blindly believe you or your alleged sources, pro Damnationist biased ones included, as if they were substitute pontiffs for the one in Rome, without any evidence besides their say so.

Do you just assume people will believe whatever slander you spout merely because you say it? I've given arguments and evidence, including secular Greek sources who have absolutely no interest in "Damnationism".

What separates these Protestant popes from the Pharisees & scribes, or "professionals", of Jesus' day? Which of the two did His disciples follow?

Because there's literally nothing in common between the two? You're just namecalling without even _trying_ to justify it.

Why take those hired "professionals" opinion over that of modern day scholar universalists or Early Church Father universalists who were superior in their knowledge of the Greek language compared to antiuniversalists?

Because the evidence I've been able to find indicates that the ECF universalists were applying "folk etymologies" and stretched analogies in order to make their arguments, rather than stating that the meaning of the text was natural and direct. (I would bow to some contrary evidence, since I do not read Greek natively.) Meanwhile, the scholars I've pointed out are actually explaining the results of extensive research.

"Augustine himself, after rejecting apokatastasis, and Basil attest that still late in the fourth and fifth centuries this doctrine was upheld by the vast majority of Christians (immo quam plurimi)."

OK, Latin I actually do read. And "the vast majority" is an absolutely ridiculous translation, completely transparently wrong. Look it up, or even just paste it into Google Translate. The phrase means "indeed, how many", and does not imply any kind of majority.

I've already pointed out translations that disproved your claim that all translations render the phrase eis ton aiona as "forever". As for lexicographers, i've noticed they ignore Early Church Father universalists regarding words like aion and aionios. Is that due to the lack of thoroughness in their work, or their bias for the purpose of worldly things like fame, position & riches?

No; it's because lexicographers depend on actual evidence of normal usage, not on sources who are attempting to make polemical arguments that depend on the words in question.

"The first three chapters chronicle the three leading characteristics of the NT lexicographical tradition: reliance on predecessors, employment of the gloss method, and dependence on versions. Lee demonstrates how lexicographers in their choice of glosses frequently drew on the rendering of a given word in current translations and shows the chain of development from the kjv to Tyndale, from Tyndale to Luther, and from Luther via Erasmus to the Vulgate. He also points to the limitations of the gloss method and advocates a definition approach instead... Hence even BDAG (2000) is but the last in a series of works with a long, checkered pedigree that should now give way to new efforts..."
http://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PDFs/47/47-3/47-3-pp481-547_JETS.pdf

This is a topic I've studied closely, and I agree with Köstenberger (the author you're quoting) in every detail. But every single word he's saying points out and highlights the problems with your gloss-based Bible versions, which pick a SINGLE GLOSS for a word and use only that.

The Curious Case of Gerhard Kittel, the Nazi lexicographer:

Well, he's a Nazi, which means that everything he believes is false (sarcasm BTW). From a more lexicographical point of view, Kittel's error is assuming that a word's meaning is derived from systematic theology.

Myth: Biblical Reference Works Are Objective

Myth: Biblical Reference works are wrong

Lee says "...NT lexicons are contaminated by glosses from the standard translations, going back as far as the Vulgate."

This is true, and is why I cite LSJ and general-purpose English dictionaries in preference to Christian works. Vine's NT dictionary is jaw-droppingly bad, for example. Kittel's was the inspiration for Barr's coining of the phrase "illegitimate totality transfer fallacy" (to refer to how he defined words based on doctrine, rather than defining words based on how they're actually used in context).

The fact is translators use "for", "unto", "to", "until", "into" for phrases involving EIS and time such as in key passages such as Rev.20:10. You have provided no evidence for your opinion. And in light of my comments above, replying with some unsubstantiated lexicon opinion would be pointless.

Actually, I have provided no evidence, because I'm not interested in arguing this minor side point. Nonetheless your response is typical -- you will rule out all evidence, and you will tout the fact that you've accepted no evidence as proof that there is no evidence, and that in turn will be proof that you're already right (even though your argument should mean that nobody's right because there's no evidence!).

One motive is that if you don't "tow the line" your book won't sell. So slant everything to the buyers.

LSJ is under no such constraint even ASSUMING your conspiracy theory. Yet they say the same thing, and offer secular evidence for their claims.

Considering, then, that the Greek word aionios has a range of meanings, biased men should not have rendered the word in Mt.25:46 by their theological opinions as "everlasting".

All words have a range of meanings, and nonetheless have to be translated in order for a translation to exist. And we know that the ancient church definitely approved of translations -- Origen was famous for his work with the LXX.

"After all, not only Walvoord, Buis, and Inge, but all intelligent students acknowledge that olam and aiõn sometimes refer to limited duration.

/aionias/ is sometimes limited; /aion/ in the phrase /eis ton aiona/ is never limited.

Here is my point: The supposed special reference or usage of a word is not the province of the translator but of the interpreter. Since these authors themselves plainly indicate that the usage of a word is a matter of interpretation, it follows (1) that it is not a matter of translation, and (2) that it is wrong for any translation effectually to decide that which must necessarily remain a matter of interpretation concerning these words in question.

The translator is always an interpreter. There's a saying I saw recently: "your choice of translation is your first choice of commentaries." This does not make it wrong; it does mean we must be careful, but your arguments have replaced caution with self-confidence, that where translators are incapable individuals without any training should make all the calls.

If Jesus were teaching eternal punishment He would have used words which were better suited to express endlessness than olam, aion and aionios. Those 3 words are often used in the ancient languages, including the Scriptures, of finite time periods that end, i.e. of durations that are not eternal.

There's truth in that, but also omission. What you omit is that /L'olam/ and /eis ton aiona/ are never used of finite time (except in poetry which contains other direct elements of hyperbole). You also omit that all of them ARE regularly used of infinite time.

If Christ meant "endless" punishment at Mt.25:46, why use the ambiguous aionios? Why not instead use the word aperantos ("endless"; 1 Timothy 1:4)?

Because that means "without finish", implying incompleteness.

Or why not use the words "no end" as in Lk1:33b: "And of His kingdom there will be no end"?

Because you would come up with a complex eschatological workaround for that one also. I mean, that literally just happened.

(However, I do agree that the punishing of the wicked has an end -- as explicitly stated, "their end is destruction.")

[/QUOTE]Or why not use the word aidios (eternal, Rom.1:20; Jude 6)?[/QUOTE]

Neither of those two uses mean endless -- they both mean immensely strong. Jude 6's "eternal chains" are actually temporary, because they're only holding the angels in order to keep them until the day of judgment, not forever.

Or why not use the word of His contemporary Philo, apeiron (unlimited). The answer seems obvious.

Because that refers to space.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, the problem is that you're deliberately inventing "eons of Christ's rule" in order to avoid the clear meaning of the phrase /eis ton aiona/ as it's used in all Greek, secular and sacred.

Willie, I've already given you examples from the Greek OT where "eis ton aiona" (and the plural form) are used of finite duration, contrary to your claim it always means "forever". And told you that i could provide more examples. So i gave you evidence for my position. Where is your evidence for your claim that i already refuted?

Scripture clearly reveals Christ's temporary rule for the eon and eons (1 Cor.15:26; Lk.1:33, etc). John's Revelation refers to His temporary 1000 year millennial age reign. BTW, Jewish literature (before, during and after Jesus) also speaks of a temporary Messianic reign, so it's not like Paul & John invented an idea that no one had ever thought of before.

"Compare moreover the apocalyptic book 2 Baruck (or Syriac Baruck, ascribed to a date of approximately 30 to 50 years after 70 AD; J.H. Charlesworth ABD I 620). 2 Baruck 40:3 states about the Annointed One (40:1) that his dominion will last forever until the world of corruption has ended and until the times which have been mentioned before have been fulfilled" (translation A.F.J. Klijn in Charlesworth I (1983) with note: "The rule of the Annointed One seems to be of a limited time."). Ferch (1977) 148-149: " "forever must be understood relatively, viz. until the age of corruption is ended" ("Life Time Entirety. A Study of AION in Greek Literature and Philosophy, the Septuagint and Philo", Heleen M. Keizer, 2010, p.134).
THE BOOK OF THE APOCALYPSE OF BARUCH THE

There is zero evidence for your elaborate age-system aside from the phrase itself, and your system would make no sense in any of the secular uses of the phrase.

What secular uses? Can you quote even a single one in accord with your theory?

I'm going to read one of your own prooftexts back at you.

Just as with Luke 1:33, this states the extent of Christ's kingdom both positively and negatively. And the negative statements demolish your claims. Christ's personal rule over His kingdom begins at the ascension, and ends _never_, does not pass away from Him, and is not ever destroyed (the CLV is dependably bad as always, "confined" is a ridiculous gloss used merely because there's another word that also means "destroyed").

There's nothing in Dan.7:14, CLV, that states His rule never ends. It says "as an eonian jurisdiction, will not pass away" which is like saying His millennial eon reign, as an eonian reign, will not pass away. IOW it will endure for the entire 1000 years. Unlike earthly rulers reigns which don't last for an entire epochal eon, but only as long as they live, at the longest, so probably less than 50 years. The translation as "destroyed" doesn't effect anything i've said above or before, so is irrelevant.

1. An "until" only means an end when the event is a natural terminus, such as death or other cessation. There is no such event here; Christ is described as having two parts of His reign, one as a king during battle and one as a victorious king.
  2. When He hands over the kingdom He does so by handing it over with Himself as the king, a sacrifice of self-submission to God. He does NOT do so by abdicating. As all of the other eschatological passages clearly show, both God and the Lamb are the occupants of the Throne after the defeat of death.
  3. The "abolition of all authority" is explicitly while Christ is still king. Christ is no more abolishing His own authority than Paul intends to say that God is subject to Christ when "all things" are subject to Christ. Exactly the same exclusion argument refutes your idea that Christ destroys His own authority, as Paul used to oppose the idea that God set Himself in subjection to Christ.
  4. "The subjection of all enemies" is not even an _argument_; that's what YOU claim is during Christ's kingdom, so you're merely contradicting your own claim.
  5. God being all in all happens because everything submits to Him, including Christ. This doesn't in the slightest imply that Christ is not a king.

IMO your interpretation goes contrary to the natural and literal reading of the passage as well as Revelation 5:13 and other considerations here:

As in Adam all die

And every creature which is in the heaven and upon the earth and under the earth, and those that are upon the sea, and all things in them, heard I saying, To him that sits upon the throne, and to the Lamb, blessing, and honour, and glory, and might, into the ages of ages.(Rev.5:13)

The abolishing of death (1 Cor.15:25-26) means an end to the death of those in the second death, which means their resurrection "in Christ" as per 1 Cor.15:22-28.

And the seventh messenger did sound, and there came great voices in the heaven, saying, 'The kingdoms of the world did become those of our Lord and of His Christ, and he shall reign into the ages of the ages!' (Rev.11:15)

9 And a third angel followed them, calling in loud a voice, “If anyone worships the beast and its image, and receives its mark on his forehead or hand, 10 he too will drink the wine of God’s anger, poured undiluted into the cup of His wrath. And he will be tormented in fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up into the ages of ages, and they have no respite day and night who do homage to the beast and to its image, and if any one receive the mark of its name. (Rev.14:9-11)

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. (Rev.19:20)

and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night -- into the ages of the ages. (Rev.20:10)

3No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be within the city, and His servants will worship Him. 4 They will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. 5 And night shall not be any more, and no need of a lamp, and light of the sun; for the Lord God shall shine upon them, and they shall reign into the ages of ages. (Rev.22:3-5)

The verses above indicate Christ & the saints shall be reigning "into the ages of the ages", including the millenial age & the age when the lake of fire (= the 2nd death) is abolished. But 1 Cor.15:25 says Christ's reign is UNTIL He has put all enemies under His feet. Since He is still reigning at the time of Revelation 20-22, all enemies are not yet under His feet. So neither is God yet "All in all" (1 Cor.15:28) nor is death [e.g. 2nd death] abolished yet.

So death is not abolished (1 Cor.15:26), since that is associated with the end of Christ's reign (v.25) & will not happen till He quits reigning. Also those humans who died a second death in the lake of fire, which is the second death, are still dead, so death is not yet abolished (v.26). As long as the second death remains & is not abolished, death is not abolished as per v.26.

Neither is "all rule and authority and power" yet nullified (1 Cor.15:24) by Revelation 21-22. There are still kings in the earth (Rev.21:24). There is still the throne of the Lamb & the saints reigning (22:3,5). So neither is death abolished or God "all in all" (1 Cor.15:28).

God cannot be "all in all" (1 Cor.15:28) while there are still those in the second death & those being tormented in the lake of fire (Rev.14:9-11; 19:20; 20:10).

In Revelation 22:2 we also have leaves that are for the healing of the nations. Who at this time would need healing?

Eventually God will be making all new (Rev.21:5) & will be "in all" (1 Cor.15:28).

And every creature which is in the heaven and upon the earth and under the earth, and those that are upon the sea, and all things in them, heard I saying, To him that sits upon the throne, and to the Lamb, blessing, and honour, and glory, and might, into the ages of ages.(Rev.5:13)

Your idea that love rules out a need for ruling is contrary to ALL Biblical eschatology, which always places rulership in all the saved at all times, and puts God in rulership over us. Love does not rule out ruling; rather, it makes the ruler the greatest servant. As is obviously the case here.

The weakness in your interpretation of eschatology is that it stops short of seeing what is the real final destiny & mistakes the process leading to it for the real thing.

God as "all in all" (1 Cor.15:28) has nothing to do with authority, but God "in" every being who ever lived. "To say that "all in all" signifies "the manifestation of God's supremacy"...is very far indeed from the truth...When we say "Christ is my all," what do we mean? That He is our Lord? Yes, and our Saviour and Friend and our Lover, our Wisdom and our Righteousness, and our Holiness--He is everything to us!...And that is just what God wishes to be and what He will be!...Will He be this only in some? No! He will be All in all!...we have said that when the last enemy [death] is abolished, then the Son abdicates and God becomes All in all. If there were still enmity we might imagine God being over all, but with all enmity gone, it is easy to see how He can become All in all...The "kingdom" is given up to the Father, after all sovereignty and authority and power have been abrogated. What kind of a "supremacy" will God "fully manifest" which has no power, no authority, no sovereignty? Thank God, all these elements, which characterized government during the eons, will be utterly unnecessary when the Son of God is finished with His "mediatorial" work. Instead of God's supremacy being fully manifested at that time, it will be entirely absent, and God, as Father, will guide His family by the sweet constraint of love."

1 Cor.15:22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Do you just assume people will believe whatever slander you spout merely because you say it? I've given arguments and evidence, including secular Greek sources who have absolutely no interest in "Damnationism".

What evidence from secular Greek sources?

Because there's literally nothing in common between the two? You're just namecalling without even _trying_ to justify it.

The scribes & Damnationist Pharisees were scholars of their day, just like many appeal to the Damnationist versions and scholars of our day. Did Jesus disciples follow them? No.

Because the evidence I've been able to find indicates that the ECF universalists were applying "folk etymologies" and stretched analogies in order to make their arguments, rather than stating that the meaning of the text was natural and direct. (I would bow to some contrary evidence, since I do not read Greek natively.) Meanwhile, the scholars I've pointed out are actually explaining the results of extensive research.

What scholars were those? I'd suggest this:

Ilaria Ramelli, The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis: A Critical Assessment from the New Testament to Eriugena (Brill, 2013. 890 pp).

"Of course there were antiuniversalists also in the ancient church, but scholars must be careful not to list among them — as is the case with the list of “the 68” antiuniversalists repeatedly cited by McC on the basis of Brian Daley’s The Hope of the Early Church — an author just because he uses πῦρ αἰώνιον, κόλασις αἰώνιος, θάνατος αἰώνιος, or the like, since these biblical expressions do not necessarily refer to eternal damnation. Indeed all universalists, from Origen to Gregory Nyssen to Evagrius, used these phrases without problems, for universalists understood these expressions as “otherworldly,” or “long-lasting,” fire, educative punishment, and death. Thus, the mere presence of such phrases is not enough to conclude that a patristic thinker “affirmed the idea of everlasting punishment” (p. 822). Didache mentions the ways of life and death, but not eternal death or torment; Ignatius, as others among “the 68,” never mentions eternal punishment. Ephrem does not speak of eternal damnation, but has many hints of healing and restoration. For Theodore of Mopsuestia, another of “the 68,” if one takes into account also the Syriac and Latin evidence, given that the Greek is mostly lost, it becomes impossible to list him among the antiuniversalists. He explicitly ruled out unending retributive punishment, sine fine et sine correctione.

"I have shown, indeed, that a few of “the 68” were not antiuniversalist, and that the uncertain were in fact universalists, for example, Clement of Alexandria, Apocalypse of Peter, Sibylline Oracles (in one passage), Eusebius, Nazianzen, perhaps even Basil and Athanasius, Ambrose, Jerome before his change of mind, and Augustine in his anti-Manichaean years. Maximus too, another of “the 68,” speaks only of punishment aionios, not aidios and talks about restoration with circumspection after Justinian, also using a persona to express it. Torstein Tollefsen, Panayiotis Tzamalikos, and Maria Luisa Gatti, for instance, agree that he affirmed apokatastasis.

"It is not the case that “the support for universalism is paltry compared with opposition to it” (p. 823). Not only were “the 68” in fact fewer than 68, and not only did many “uncertain” in fact support apokatastasis, but the theologians who remain in the list of antiuniversalists tend to be much less important. Look at the theological weight of Origen, the Cappadocians, Athanasius, or Maximus, for instance, on all of whom much of Christian doctrine and dogmas depends. Or think of the cultural significance of Eusebius, the spiritual impact of Evagrius or Isaac of Nineveh, or the philosophico-theological importance of Eriugena, the only author of a comprehensive treatise of systematic theology and theoretical philosophy between Origen’s Peri Archon and Aquinas’s Summa theologiae. Then compare, for instance, Barsanuphius, Victorinus of Pettau, Gaudentius of Brescia, Maximus of Turin, Tyconius, Evodius of Uzala, or Orientius, listed among “the 68” (and mostly ignorant of Greek). McC’s statement, “there are no unambiguous cases of universalist teaching prior to Origen” (p. 823), should also be at least nuanced, in light of Bardaisan, Clement, the Apocalypse of Peter’s Rainer Fragment, parts of the Sibylline Oracles, and arguably of the NT, especially Paul’s letters.

"Certainly, “there was a diversity of views in the early church on the scope of final salvation.” Tertullian, for instance, did not embrace apokatastasis. But my monograph is not on patristic eschatology or soteriology in general, but specifically on the doctrine of apokatastasis. Thus, I treated the theologians who supported it, and not others."

The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis: The Reviews Start Coming In
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Ilaria Ramelli, The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis: A Critical Assessment from the New Testament to Eriugena (Brill, 2013. 890 pp.)

Scholars directory, with list of publications:

Ilaria L.E. Ramelli - ISNS Scholars Directory

OK, Latin I actually do read. And "the vast majority" is an absolutely ridiculous translation, completely transparently wrong. Look it up, or even just paste it into Google Translate. The phrase means "indeed, how many", and does not imply any kind of majority.

"plurimi...'most; or 'a majority'...":

Selections from Latin Classic Authors
edited by Francis Gardner [p.111]:

Selections from Latin Classic Authors

"..."the majority" (plurimi)...":

Diocles of Carystus. 2. Commentary
edited by Philip J. “van der” Eijk [p.271]:

Diocles of Carystus. 2. Commentary

"When Augustine described the Universalists as “indeed very many” (immo quam plurimi), what he meant is that they were a “vast majority” (Ramelli, Christian Doctrine, 11). That is what the Latin word plurimi, from the adjective plurimus, implies. "
Indeed Very Many: Universalism in the Early Church

Latin–English dictionary: Translation of the word "plurimus"

An Elementary Latin Dictionary
By Charlton Thomas Lewis [p.621]:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=VI...AEIRDAF#v=onepage&q=plurimus majority&f=false

"St. Basil the Great (c. 329-379) in his De Asceticis wrote: "The mass of men (Christians) say that there is to be an end of punishment to those who are punished." "

No; it's because lexicographers depend on actual evidence of normal usage, not on sources who are attempting to make polemical arguments that depend on the words in question.

I wouldn't call references to Plato & Philo's philosophical ideas of aion/ios as normal usage while ignoring koine Greek scholars such as Origen referring to biblical usages of aion/ios. Or including some Early Church Fathers & leaving out universalists ECF. That reeks of lexical bias & cherry picking. For what purpose?

This is a topic I've studied closely, and I agree with Köstenberger (the author you're quoting) in every detail. But every single word he's saying points out and highlights the problems with your gloss-based Bible versions, which pick a SINGLE GLOSS for a word and use only that.

He was referring to the problems with lexicons copying Damnationist translations & each other. Like pat my back & i'll pat yours. It's a circular thing that feeds itself. The blind leading the blind. That's quite different than creating a consistent translation for the purpose of trying to eliminate translator bias that's so obvious in Damnationist versions.

Well, he's a Nazi, which means that everything he believes is false (sarcasm BTW). From a more lexicographical point of view, Kittel's error is assuming that a word's meaning is derived from systematic theology.

Obviously not, but your own comment illustrates my point re blind faith in something people haven't checked out for themselves.

"The words of the apostle Paul ever remain good advice, "let no one be boasting in men" (1 Cor.3:21)."

Myth: Biblical Reference works are wrong

Very often they are wrong. Most obviously when they disagree with each other, which is not occasionally.

This is true, and is why I cite LSJ and general-purpose English dictionaries in preference to Christian works. Vine's NT dictionary is jaw-droppingly bad, for example. Kittel's was the inspiration for Barr's coining of the phrase "illegitimate totality transfer fallacy" (to refer to how he defined words based on doctrine, rather than defining words based on how they're actually used in context).

Actually, I have provided no evidence, because I'm not interested in arguing this minor side point. Nonetheless your response is typical -- you will rule out all evidence, and you will tout the fact that you've accepted no evidence as proof that there is no evidence, and that in turn will be proof that you're already right (even though your argument should mean that nobody's right because there's no evidence!).

Actually i've challenged you to show some evidence. Only after i've seen it would i decide if it's to be ruled out or not. In Rev.19:3 smoke is to ascend "forever & ever" according to Damnationist translations. That "forever & ever" ends & is a lie is evident by the previous chapter where what is burned is "utterly consumed". Clearly the burning will not even be "for" finite "ages of the ages", either. So the idea that EIS always means "for" in relation to time is wrong. In this context it means "to" or "into".

LSJ is under no such constraint even ASSUMING your conspiracy theory. Yet they say the same thing, and offer secular evidence for their claims.

They're not part of the world that Satan is god of (2 Cor.4:4)? That's scripture, not a conspiracy theory. God is not the author of doctrines that make Him a sadist for eternity. What "evidence" do they provide to support any of your views we've been discussing? The eminent scholar & lexicographer, Lee, & the other sources i referenced & quoted already pointed out how unreliable & error prone lexicons are. Lexicons that are created not by Damnationists but by sinful pagans are not any less immune from the sordid history of lexicography.

/aionias/ is sometimes limited; /aion/ in the phrase /eis ton aiona/ is never limited.

Mt.25:46 doesn't use the phrase "eis ton aiona" that my comment was referring to.

There's truth in that, but also omission. What you omit is that /L'olam/ and /eis ton aiona/ are never used of finite time (except in poetry which contains other direct elements of hyperbole). You also omit that all of them ARE regularly used of infinite time.

I disagree with your unsupported opinions re L'olam & eis ton aiona. As for infinite time it is not an ommision but implied in the argument.

Because that means "without finish", implying incompleteness.

http://biblehub.com/greek/562.htm

If Christ wanted to teach endless punishment, He would have used this word meaning "endless" at Mt.25:46 instead of aionios. Therefore He didn't teach endless punishment.

Because you would come up with a complex eschatological workaround for that one also. I mean, that literally just happened.

How would that work if the words "no end" were applied to punishment at Mt.25:46?
If Christ wanted to teach endless punishment, He would have used the unambiguous words "no end" of punishment at Mt.25:46 instead of the ambiguous word aionios. Therefore He didn't teach endless punishment.

(However, I do agree that the punishing of the wicked has an end -- as explicitly stated, "their end is destruction.")

That annihilationist proof text was already refuted along with a number of other posts Mark Corbett (& other endless annihilation supporters) have never answered:

Post # 215...page 11...re Matt.25:46 which is considered a stronghold for the anti-universalism positions, but i've shown is more favorable to universalism

Post # 220...page 11...Phil.3:19 refuted as an alleged annihilation proof text

Post # 221...page 12...apollumi comments of Mark Corbett refuted

Post #225...page 12....a list of annihilation proof texts easily explained away

Post #225...page 12...addressed Jn.3:16 & Rom.6:23...Dan. 12:2-3 shown as supporting Biblical universalism

Additionally, i have addressed the following with no answers:

Post #294...page 15...Rev. 20:10 shown to be harmonious with universalism

Post #316...page 16...Universalism in 1 Cor.15:22-28 & the book of Revelation

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...ious-torment-and-universalism.8019749/page-20

In this following thread i have also commented on Mt.10:28 & 2 Pet.2:6 in post #12.

Likewise regarding Gen.6:3 in posts 11 & 15.

And regarding free will in post 14.

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...tory-annihilationism-vs-universalism.8020138/

In the following thread i have also addressed Psa.37 in post 25 on page 2:

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...-eternal-torment.8019864/page-2#post-71586814

[/QUOTE]Or why not use the word aidios (eternal, Rom.1:20; Jude 6)?[/QUOTE]

Neither of those two uses mean endless -- they both mean immensely strong. Jude 6's "eternal chains" are actually temporary, because they're only holding the angels in order to keep them until the day of judgment, not forever.

http://biblehub.com/greek/126.htm

In Jude 6 the chains are said to be "eternal" (aidios). IMO it's the time they are held in the chains that is temporary, i.e. until the day of judgement, not the chains themselves. In Romans 1:20 it's God's power that is "eternal" (aidios).

Because that refers to space.

Philo applied it to a time, not space, word, aion in Exo.15:18. In Aristotle the same phrase Philo used, ton apeiron aiona, meant "all, endless, time" ("Life Time Entirety. A Study of AION in Greek Literature and Philosophy, the Septuagint and Philo", Heleen M. Keizer, 2010, p.212).

If Christ, a contemporary of Philo, wanted to teach endless punishment, He would have used the unambiguous word "apeiron" of punishment at Mt.25:46 instead of the ambiguous word aionios. Therefore He didn't teach endless punishment.

Upvote 0

William Tanksley Jr

Jul 28, 2017
Oceanside
✟11,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
This reminds me of the movies Now You See Me and Now You See Me 2. Referring to Matthew 25:46 I said in the gospels Jesus is recorded as saying "death" seventeen times, when He said death He meant death. Please explain how your response addresses my post?

I've never watched those movies, so I don't know what point you're trying to make. The point I was trying to make is that Jesus DOES speak of death in reference to the final judgment, specifically for example by saying God will kill, and saying the alternative to being saved is to perish (which means to die, according to dictionaries and lexicons in both languages). If you really insist on ONLY using the word "death", then:

John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
John 8:51 Truly, truly I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”
John 11:13 Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep.

This makes it unmistakable that what Jesus saved us from is _death_. (I include the last chapter because that chapter, the raising of Lazarus, makes it very clear that Jesus is speaking of saving us from literal death, and not from some metaphorical meaning that doesn't mean death. His power to save us from death is present in His person, so that He can say "I am the Resurrection.")

So what point could you possibly have been trying to make by admitting that Jesus used "death" to mean "death"? I believe that too, and that's exactly why I believe in conditional immortality.

So is it your opinion that Justin meant that sometimes punishment is punishment although the recipient is not conscious of it and sometimes it is not?

No. The "Old Man" (the Christian who converted Justin) here meant that the non-Christian Justin's platonic philosophy was self-contradictory. He wasn't endorsing Justin's claim in either direction, simply leading him to see that his claims couldn't possibly be true as stated. Justin thought that being incarnated as an animal was the kind of punishment which results in improving the person, so that they would do better next time; the Old Man pointed out that in Justin's theory nobody remembers anything about past lives, so the purported result couldn't apply.

Note that neither of us, conditionalist or eternal torment, believes that final punishment results in improvement (Plato's claim). That would be the claim of our brother @ClementofA. Out of the "five purposes of punishment", deterrence, incapacitation, rehabilitation, retribution, and restitution; I believe final punishment is presently deterrent (the threat of death makes people fear sin properly, as Paul says "the sting of death is sin"); incapacitive (the wicked, being dead and burned like tares along with ALL causes of stumbling, cannot cause the righteous to stumble anymore); retributive (Rom 1:32, 6:23; 2Thess 1:5-10).

I don't know your beliefs on the matter, but you can see a major difference in universalism's addition of rehabilitation to the purposes -- which had also been Justin's belief about reincarnation as an animal.

So a person who has a millstone around their neck who is thrown into the sea does not die? So you think dying one way is better than dying some other way.

Your second guess is better than your first, of course. Jesus' point is obviously setting up a contrast between other punishments and the punishment of being thrown into the sea with a millstone. The latter results in less-escapable death -- it does NOT result in greater torment than other ways of being punished. It's entirely possible that without the stone the person might escape the sentence -- but if he does die, it will be slower and more painful.

So in those passages Jesus was not saying anything that a person should be concerned about?

What I'd said was "The prophecy about Judas would be true merely if he suffered more than life gave him joy. How long that would take I have no idea." I'm drawing a blank on your claim that this is nothing a person should be concerned about. Setting aside your obvious complete lack of concern for Judas' purported finite suffering (which BTW is unreasonable -- if finite suffering is literally "not anything to be concerned about" then so is suffering without end, which is only ever _finitely_ long at any given time)... Concern about immanent and inescapable death is called "existential fear", and it's considered the worst kind of fear. It's invoked to justify actions which would not be justified any other way.

So you think Jesus was saying that it is better to die one way than to die another?

Of course He believes that, everyone does. For example, Luke 12:5 shows that being killed by men is better than being killed by God. Paul says that dying without a resurrection is worse than dying (falling asleep, speaking figuratively) with a resurrection. But that's not the point in this passage; here he's comparing the punishment for causing a little one to stumble to an death that is specifically qualified to be _inescapable_. That's the point -- inescapability.

• Winner
Reactions: Mark Corbett
Upvote 0

William Tanksley Jr

Jul 28, 2017
Oceanside
✟11,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Willie, I've already given you examples from the Greek OT where "eis ton aiona" (and the plural form) are used of finite duration, contrary to your claim it always means "forever". And told you that i could provide more examples.

Would you post a link to this, please? I seem to have missed it completely. (One link or post number; pick the one which means the most to you. I don't have time to hunt through many different post numbers.)

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never watched those movies, so I don't know what point you're trying to make. The point I was trying to make is that Jesus DOES speak of death in reference to the final judgment, specifically for example by saying God will kill, and saying the alternative to being saved is to perish (which means to die, according to dictionaries and lexicons in both languages). If you really insist on ONLY using the word "death", then:
John 5:24 Truly, truly, I say to you whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.
John 8:51 Truly, truly I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”
John 11:13 Now Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that he meant taking rest in sleep
I don't think Jesus was talking about physical death in Jn 8:51. Although people keep Jesus' words they will still see physical death.
This makes it unmistakable that what Jesus saved us from is _death_. (I include the last chapter because that chapter, the raising of Lazarus, makes it very clear that Jesus is speaking of saving us from literal death, and not from some metaphorical meaning that doesn't mean death. His power to save us from death is present in His person, so that He can say "I am the Resurrection.")
While Jesus can save man from literal,physical death, I believe that many, if not all, although they believe in Jesus, will still die physically.

Romans 6:23
(23) For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Hebrews 9:27
(27) And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

So what point could you possibly have been trying to make by admitting that Jesus used "death" to mean "death"? I believe that too, and that's exactly why I believe in conditional immortality.
Some folks believe that when Jesus said "eternal punishment" in Matt 25:46 He really meant "eternal death." I believe that the punishment is eternal just as Jesus said.
No. The "Old Man" (the Christian who converted Justin) here meant that the non-Christian Justin's platonic philosophy was self-contradictory. He wasn't endorsing Justin's claim in either direction, simply leading him to see that his claims couldn't possibly be true as stated. Justin thought that being incarnated as an animal was the kind of punishment which results in improving the person, so that they would do better next time; the Old Man pointed out that in Justin's theory nobody remembers anything about past lives, so the purported result couldn't apply.
Note that neither of us, conditionalist or eternal torment, believes that final punishment results in improvement (Plato's claim). That would be the claim of our brother @ClementofA. Out of the "five purposes of punishment", deterrence, incapacitation, rehabilitation, retribution, and restitution; I believe final punishment is presently deterrent (the threat of death makes people fear sin properly, as Paul says "the sting of death is sin"); incapacitive (the wicked, being dead and burned like tares along with ALL causes of stumbling, cannot cause the righteous to stumble anymore); retributive (Rom 1:32, 6:23; 2Thess 1:5-10).
I don't know your beliefs on the matter, but you can see a major difference in universalism's addition of rehabilitation to the purposes -- which had also been Justin's belief about reincarnation as an animal.
I thought I made my belief very clear in my post #79 this thread. I believe that "eternal punishment" is just that. Not annihilation or universal reconciliation.
Your second guess is better than your first, of course. Jesus' point is obviously setting up a contrast between other punishments and the punishment of being thrown into the sea with a millstone. The latter results in less-escapable death -- it does NOT result in greater torment than other ways of being punished. It's entirely possible that without the stone the person might escape the sentence -- but if he does die, it will be slower and more painful.
I wonder if Jesus' 1st century audience would have understood it that way?
What I'd said was "The prophecy about Judas would be true merely if he suffered more than life gave him joy. How long that would take I have no idea." I'm drawing a blank on your claim that this is nothing a person should be concerned about. Setting aside your obvious complete lack of concern for Judas' purported finite suffering (which BTW is unreasonable -- if finite suffering is literally "not anything to be concerned about" then so is suffering without end, which is only ever _finitely_ long at any given time)... Concern about immanent and inescapable death is called "existential fear", and it's considered the worst kind of fear. It's invoked to justify actions which would not be justified any other way.
Of course He believes that, everyone does. For example, Luke 12:5 shows that being killed by men is better than being killed by God. Paul says that dying without a resurrection is worse than dying (falling asleep, speaking figuratively) with a resurrection. But that's not the point in this passage; here he's comparing the punishment for causing a little one to stumble to an death that is specifically qualified to be _inescapable_. That's the point -- inescapability.
Still looks like you think Jesus is saying that it is better to die by drowning with a stone around your neck than some other more horrendous way. And I still wonder if that is how Jesus' 1st century audience would have understood it or would they have understood that Jesus was referring to a fate worse than death?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you post a link to this, please? I seem to have missed it completely. (One link or post number; pick the one which means the most to you. I don't have time to hunt through many different post numbers.)
I think Clem is talking about post #445 this thread. But it looks to me like smoke and mirrors.

Upvote 0

William Tanksley Jr

Jul 28, 2017
Oceanside
✟11,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think Jesus was talking about physical death in Jn 8:51. Although people keep Jesus' words they will still see physical death.

We're in the middle of a discussion of your claim that if Jesus had wanted to say "death" He would have said it. Now you're telling me that Jesus said "death", but didn't mean it. How can you possibly make both arguments in the same message thread?

While Jesus can save man from literal,physical death, I believe that many, if not all, although they believe in Jesus, will still die physically.

You're overlooking the fact that the resurrection to immortality DOES save man from (and out of) literal death. So it doesn't particularly harm believers to die, so long as it's a temporary thing that Jesus will reverse. We mourn the separation, but not as "those who have no hope" of meeting our loved ones living again. Jesus explains that both when He uses the word "sleep" about Lazarus (meaning that He was going to wake Lazarus from the dead), and when He says "though he dies, yet will he live" in the same chapter.

Some folks believe that when Jesus said "eternal punishment" in Matt 25:46 He really meant "eternal death." I believe that the punishment is eternal just as Jesus said.

I don't believe that Jesus really meant "eternal death"; that's never mentioned in the Bible. There's only one type of death mentioned in the Bible, and it is simply a thing's complete loss of life/vitality/animation/sensation/power. Death cannot be made more or less eternal; it can end only be being completely subverted and conquered. Only life can be made shorter or longer; not death.

I believe that the eternal punishment is what Jesus said in Matt 25:41,46 -- the deprivation of life by execution, by being consumed in the eternal fire. You think that both the righteous and the wicked receive life that lasts forever (IOW eternal life); I believe that only the righteous receive life, and only the wicked receive punishment. I teach, therefore, that the parallel is perfect, both in what both sides receive but also in what either side _doesn't_ receive.

I wonder if Jesus' 1st century audience would have understood it that way?

Absolutely. That's why both Jeremiah and John used the same word picture about the destruction of the city of Babylon. Those two weren't saying it would be worse than death in the abstract; he explained that it meant it would vanish rapidly and never be found again or never rise again. See Jer 51:62-64, Rev 18:21.

Still looks like you think Jesus is saying that it is better to die by drowning with a stone around your neck than some other more horrendous way.

Oh, I see your objection. I didn't intend to beg the question here by saying the ONLY thing worse than a quick drowning death is some other kind of more-horrific death. It's quite true that eternal torment would also be worse than a quick death by drowning. My point is that it's worse in the opposite way that hanging a millstone makes this death bad. Hanging a millstone makes the death quick and certain; eternal torment makes death impossible and infinitely slow.

And I still wonder if that is how Jesus' 1st century audience would have understood it or would they have understood that Jesus was referring to a fate worse than death?

I think if Jesus had meant a fate worse than death He would have simply said that, don't you think? I mean, why embellish with the detail about a millstone and the sea? By giving that detail, Christ makes it look like the detail matters, when in your interpretation it simply doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

William Tanksley Jr

Jul 28, 2017
Oceanside
✟11,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I think Clem is talking about post #445 this thread. But it looks to me like smoke and mirrors.

Thank you, that's the only one I see as well (and thank you for linking it!). But he's acting like I haven't noticed them, when of course I did exegete both of those and he's actually replying to that.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We're in the middle of a discussion of your claim that if Jesus had wanted to say "death" He would have said it. Now you're telling me that Jesus said "death", but didn't mean it. How can you possibly make both arguments in the same message thread?
John 8:51 Truly, truly I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.
I think there is a difference between dying and being resurrected and "shall never see death" Jn 8:51
You're overlooking the fact that the resurrection to immortality DOES save man from (and out of) literal death. So it doesn't particularly harm believers to die, so long as it's a temporary thing that Jesus will reverse. We mourn the separation, but not as "those who have no hope" of meeting our loved ones living again. Jesus explains that both when He uses the word "sleep" about Lazarus (meaning that He was going to wake Lazarus from the dead), and when He says "though he dies, yet will he live" in the same chapter.
I agree.
I don't believe that Jesus really meant "eternal death"; that's never mentioned in the Bible. There's only one type of death mentioned in the Bible, and it is simply a thing's complete loss of life/vitality/animation/sensation/power. Death cannot be made more or less eternal; it can end only be being completely subverted and conquered. Only life can be made shorter or longer; not death.
So how do you understand Matthew 25:46? If those on the left are destroyed, i.e. cease to exist, strange that Jesus did not use the word "apollumi." i.e. "eternal punishment?" Those Jews who believed in a fiery eternal hell, how would they have understood "eternal punishment?"
I believe that the eternal punishment is what Jesus said in Matt 25:41,46 -- the deprivation of life by execution, by being consumed in the eternal fire. You think that both the righteous and the wicked receive life that lasts forever (IOW eternal life); I believe that only the righteous receive life, and only the wicked receive punishment. I teach, therefore, that the parallel is perfect, both in what both sides receive but also in what either side _doesn't_ receive.
Then why didn't Jesus say to those on His left, "These shall go away into death," if that is what He meant?"
Absolutely. That's why both Jeremiah and John used the same word picture about the destruction of the city of Babylon. Those two weren't saying it would be worse than death in the abstract; he explained that it meant it would vanish rapidly and never be found again or never rise again. See Jer 51:62-64, Rev 18:21.
I don't think the former pagan Christians in Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyitira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea JOhn was writing to would have had any knowledge of Jeremiah and Babylon. So without that imagery what would they have understood? Unlike us who can call up several complete Bible versions with the push of a key.
Oh, I see your objection. I didn't intend to beg the question here by saying the ONLY thing worse than a quick drowning death is some other kind of more-horrific death. It's quite true that eternal torment would
also be worse than a quick death by drowning. My point is that it's worse in the opposite way that hanging a millstone makes this death bad. Hanging a millstone makes the death quick and certain; eternal torment makes death impossible and infinitely slow..
I agree eternal punishment is worse than death and that is what some in Jesus' audience would have understood.
I think if Jesus had meant a fate worse than death He would have simply said that, don't you think? I mean, why embellish with the detail about a millstone and the sea? By giving that detail, Christ makes it look like the detail matters, when in your interpretation it simply doesn't matter
Jesus said He always spoke in parables when speaking to the crowds.

Upvote 0

William Tanksley Jr

Jul 28, 2017
Oceanside
✟11,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
John 8:51 Truly, truly I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.
I think there is a difference between dying and being resurrected and "shall never see death" Jn 8:51

I actually think they're the same thing, and I discussed that above -- because death is _ultimately_ the end of life, and if your life is made unending by a resurrection to immortality, then even if what you went through felt like death at first, it wasn't. I would suggest that if you're going to deny the normal meaning you should be the one to propose an alternate meaning. Until then, since the normal meaning works, and indeed was the meaning understood by the people around him, it seems that it's plausible and even likely.

But really, there's a LOT more than just this one verse if you want to know what Jesus said about "death". For another example with more text, there's John 6 and John 11, in both of which the "not die" promise is likewise made (although they use the word "die" instead of "death" which is why your earlier count doesn't include them). In both He explains Himself in MUCH more detail, and it's hard to miss that he's _certainly_ talking about being resurrected from out of death. In John 5 the promise to pass from death to life is given, and then interpreted as being fulfilled when the Son gives life to those who believe and are raised from the graves to life (versus those who are raised from the graves to punishment).

This is the claim of conditionalism: we are saved from death, NOT from eternal torment. It is of first importance that Christ died for our sins.

So how do you understand Matthew 25:46? If those on the left are destroyed, i.e. cease to exist, strange that Jesus did not use the word "apollumi."

Arguments from what might have been aren't very useful.

But to turn your argument back on you, isn't it strange that Jesus didn't use "everlasting torment" if that was His meaning? Or for that matter, "everlasting punishing"? He used an expression which is ambiguous on its face.

In fact, since you mention it, why do you think Jesus used /apollumi/ SO much? It's one of the hell words, after all -- /apollumi/ body and soul in hell for example.

i.e. "eternal punishment?" Those Jews who believed in a fiery eternal hell, how would they have understood "eternal punishment?"

They might have wondered why he was being so vague. Their own teachers were much more clear. The phrase form "eternal X" is used many times to describe the permanent results of a short act -- most notably the "eternal redemption" in Hebrews 9:12, but also "eternal judgment" in Heb 6. The redemption is forever, but verse says the redeeming only happened once and is now done. Likewise, I'd say the punishing will only happen on the Day of Wrath, and then the punishment is everlasting -- the punishment of death.

I don't think the former pagan Christians in Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyitira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea JOhn was writing to would have had any knowledge of Jeremiah and Babylon. So without that imagery what would they have understood? Unlike us who can call up several complete Bible versions with the push of a key.

That objection has nothing at all to do with our discussion that I can see. Can you interact with my arguments on the topic? (Note that John used a LOT of Biblical imagery in Revelation that's still being discovered -- but also note that he explicitly interpreted that millstone image, as did Jeremiah.)

I agree eternal punishment is worse than death and that is what some in Jesus' audience would have understood.

To avoid you begging the question, there are some essential clarifications.

1) "Eternal punishment" includes capital punishment (death).
2) We DO agree that eternal torment is worse than death, and that's what you should have said.
3) You're purely speculating to suppose that *anyone* would have thought of eternal torment when picturing someone being thrown into the water with a millstone. Even if they believed the wages of sin is torment, there's no reason at all to jump to the idea that the only thing worse than being thrown into the sea with a millstone around your neck is eternal torment.

I think the only reason you think it is, is because you're so used to that phrase you assume its meaning without picturing it.

Jesus said He always spoke in parables when speaking to the crowds.

This millstone picture isn't a parable. And you know it isn't, and you're arguing in all ways assuming it isn't. You're also depending on all the other verses we're discussing not being parables. And finally, if this WERE a parable it wouldn't help your case without you making an argument for it.

Upvote 0