Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
wow, i just saw this thread and went back and seen how it went, and it was pretty heated.

yea i used to be against benny hinn myself. now, to put it bluntly, i just don't care anymore. he is a brother in the Lord, and I sure hope he is being honest with his miracles. the thing i question with him, is when someone wants prayer to be healed from a cold or soreness in some part of the body. i mean that doesn't seem like a miralce to me, but if it is to that person, than so be it i guess. i am in no right to judge how God works for someone else. i say that because sometimes our bodies ache, that isn't a sickeness but the norm of being a human being and then when we are relaxed it goes away, and some cold, well that happens all the time. we get a stuffy nose and by the afternoon or so it is gone. but if that is a small miracle of God i am not going to play judge and judge God. i know that there are people that go those revival meetings with more of a severe need, and if God heals them, and if it is true and a real miracle, then praise be to God.

i myself the only time have seen that stuff happen is when i went to the churches lik Benny Hinn, the charismatic pentecostal churches. i remember as a young kid, there was a "revival" meeting with a group called, The Hellfighter Mission. well i went up to the pastor during all the chaotic commotion of worship and so called the Spirit of God blessing us, and asked prayer for my knee. for as long i can remember, the cartilege in my knee always makes the squeeky sound from time to time. so he put his hand on it, and it went away. then a few minutes later it came back in the seat, went back and did the same thing again, and it went away and came back again, and has been there every since. i also have a speech impedimency. i've had it since the 3rd grade. i remember at church camp, some guy telling me that God could heal me. so we prayed together, and nevertheless, i still have it. i think sometimes with some people we have to realize that sometimes we aren't going to be healed no matter how much we seek after it. plus i really don't care to get rid of my speech problem. it doesn't bother me anymore.

the problem i have with groups like benny hinn is how much they emphasize on the healing part. God is beyond the things He can do for us, so I just question the emphasis he has on this miracle stuff. i guess to each his own. if a person is going to come to God, then it is going to be different from person to person. if it takes a physical miracle, i just hope that seed is continually being fed water. i just believe the times are so different than today when Christ did that. people were more receptive to simple miracles than we are today or so it seems to me, and hopefully i am wrong.

so in the end, i hope God blesses benny hinn in whatever way He sees fit. I hope all these miracles are real. i hope that every so called miralce he is able to do by the power of God alone can be proven that the ailment is healed. i may be skeptical of him, but being skeptical of benny hinn doesn't mean i don't love him as my brother in the Lord, and it doesn't mean i'm going to hell. it just means for myself and myself alone i'm being precautious/careful. to call him a heretic seems rather childish. he professes that Christ is the only way to salvation right? that shows he isn't a heretic right there, plus, any of the complaints we may hear about him, normally come from those who dont' believe that the stuff that happens at the revival meetings is real, or is another denomination than the group that practice that. that's why i just dont' care anymore. i don't have a need like that to go to his revival meeting, and i myself have a lot of questions with that whole denomination/group and that is another reason why i am precautious/careful because i have a lot of questions, because at one point, those kinds of churches were my regular going sunday morning service.

plus philippians 2:12-16 says:
"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain. (KJV)

Upvote 0

All4one

Sep 10, 2004
Ky
✟716.00
Faith
Christian
The only thing I can say about Benny Hinn is becareful. Im sure he does do some good things and I am not trying to put him down because he is a man of the lord, but from what I have seen he is walking a very thin line. I watched several shows where there was a lot of new agey stuff going on. Benny Hinn was a favorite of my family for a long long time until recently when this new agey stuff started taking place.
If your sister is a prayerful person, Id suggest she prays for discernment.

I agree here... The wisest thing that can be done is prayer. Personally Benny Hinn caused me to fly into a rage when I saw him for the first time. Gods power is not at the disposal of a human being. I also agree with teh comment earlier that we all fall short in some way and casting stones may not be a sturdy mountain to climb. We have our convictions but if your sister seems determined, rather then putting down Mr. Chicken... I mean Hinn. Try to help her acknowledge that God is the ultimate and not any man. I guess what I am trying to say is to be real with her but be careful of pulling the rug (the things she believes) out from under her. You don't want her to fall and get hurt. :thumbsup:

In Christs Love,
All4one:clap:

Upvote 0

n2wolves

Sep 4, 2003
Tennessee
✟15,600.00
Faith
Non-Denom
JohnnyV said:
Miracles can & do happen everyday. The Apostles had nothing to do with miracles happening, it was the Holy Spirit which worked thru them. And also, there were still deaf people, there were still leperos people; the diseases and afflictions Jesus and the Apostles healed are still prevalent today!

Of course, I am getting off the topic of this thread & I am sure there is probably a thread concerning this issue somewhere, but just because I do not believe in 'Benny Hinn' doesn't mean I don't believe in miracles.
I never denied that miracles do happen today.Ii'm claiming that Benny and others like him aren't healing anyone. We are told in 1 Cor 13:8-10 that miracles being performed by man would cease.

1Co 13:8 Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall be done away.

1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part;

1Co 13:10 but when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away.

If there were healings like some believe do you not believe that this takes away from the teaching and learning of the Word? After all, the auditoriums that Benny fills are all filled with people having the hope of him taking care of their ailments, following him around like a bunch of lost sheep, not what we should be focused on which is the Lord and his teachings.

Upvote 0

reconciliation

Oct 5, 2004
Espoo
✟15,369.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
n2wolves said:
I never denied that miracles do happen today.Ii'm claiming that Benny and others like him aren't healing anyone. We are told in 1 Cor 13:8-10 that miracles being performed by man would cease.

1Co 13:8 Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall be done away.

1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part;

1Co 13:10 but when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away.

If there were healings like some believe do you not believe that this takes away from the teaching and learning of the Word? After all, the auditoriums that Benny fills are all filled with people having the hope of him taking care of their ailments, following him around like a bunch of lost sheep, not what we should be focused on which is the Lord and his teachings.
I think none has claimed that Benny Hinn would
heal anyone. All Christians know that Jesus is our
Healer and "by his stripes we were healed". However,
he is the same yesterday, today and forever. We
are his body on Earth. How did he heal people in the
book of Acts? It was through his body, the church.
So has he changed his way to manifest his power?
We have no reason to believe so. 1 Cor. teaches that
the gifts of the spirit will cease but it is not going to
happen until "that which is perfect has come". But as
long as we are not perfect, we need spiritual gifts, and
therefore God uses such men as Benny Hinn!:clap:

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
reconciliation said:
and
or does he.....?:scratch:

as someone said earlier, why doesnt he use his "gift" to heal sick children?

for example, why not heal those children in africa who were passed the aids virus by parents through no fault of their own? or does Benny Hinn go where the money beckons?

This is the point many of us are trying to make!

I'd rather give money to a genuine charity (that can help children like these) than give money to Benny Hinn!

Upvote 0

walkin2e

Sep 28, 2004
Blackshear, Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟17,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Garnett, I'm certainly not a "Benny Hind" or "Oral Roberts" or one of those other GOD TV people; however, I am a born again Christian, a man of God, and I believe in the power of prayer...I will be praying for your sister. Jesus loves her, and wants to heal her pain and grief...I have seen God work miracles during my 17 plus years of walking with Him, and I know He hears and answers prayers.....

Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full into His wonderful face...and you will see how much He loves you.

Irvin Rozier

Reactions: altya
Upvote 0

nill

Senior Veteran
Aug 25, 2004
✟3,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
CelineDion,

I believe each person has his own ministry calling. We can't be sure 23-year-old jellybrain is called to go overseas and heal people. But apparently, Benny Hinn has proclaimed that it is his life calling to go on healing crusades. We just wonder why it's not to where it's needed most... as in, not Florida.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Garnet2727

Illogical, irrational, reprobate
Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
walkin2e said:
Garnett, I'm certainly not a "Benny Hind" or "Oral Roberts" or one of those other GOD TV people; however, I am a born again Christian, a man of God, and I believe in the power of prayer...I will be praying for your sister. Jesus loves her, and wants to heal her pain and grief...I have seen God work miracles during my 17 plus years of walking with Him, and I know He hears and answers prayers.....

Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full into His wonderful face...and you will see how much He loves you.

Irvin Rozier

Thank you for your kind wishes, Irvin.

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
All, just wanted to give an update. I copied and sent this thread to my sister yesterday. I spoke to her on the phone early yesterday evening just before she was heading to church. She told me that she was really surprised at many things in the thread, was impressed by the compassion here and overwhelmed almost to the point of tears that her atheist baby sister cared enough to seek other counsel. (We cried a bit together as we are wont to do from time to time.)

The upshot is that she had printed out the thread and was going to talk with her pastor last night and pray with him about this. She will let me know the outcome tonight.

Be well, all, an thanks again for your input.

~G~

Upvote 0

meebs

The dev!l loves rock and roll
Aug 17, 2004
Alpha Quadrant
Visit site
✟17,879.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
neal said:
CelineDion,

I believe each person has his own ministry calling. We can't be sure 23-year-old jellybrain is called to go overseas and heal people. But apparently, Benny Hinn has proclaimed that it is his life calling to go on healing crusades. We just wonder why it's not to where it's needed most... as in, not Florida.
I still pray that God gives me a calling, it could be now or in 30 years. God has a plan for each of our lives, so i am told. Beleive me, i do want to help people, but maybe in a small way.

I just have major doubts about Benny Hinn's calling. He is a very rich man, though that is not evidence enough. Why doesnt he ask if people will give money to charity, rather than through him, if he doesnt care about money?Ive even been to a meeting of his, and i am very wary. I just say God bless him, if he is genuine or not.

And God bless you and you're sister Garnett!! ^_^

Upvote 0

Garnet2727

Oct 4, 2004
Lansing, MI
✟13,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well, all, thought I'd pop in and let you know. Just got off the phone with my sister. She has decided not to go. At risk of being inflammatory...I'm very relieved. As I said in the OP, I'm convinced that Benny Hinn is a snake oil salesman. After reading this thread, talking with her pastor and looking at the different kinds of things that he has said and done, my sister is now a bit embarassed that she even considered going.

Thanks again everyone...and be well.

~G~

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4one

Sep 10, 2004
Ky
✟716.00
Faith
Christian
All, just wanted to give an update. I copied and sent this thread to my sister yesterday. I spoke to her on the phone early yesterday evening just before she was heading to church. She told me that she was really surprised at many things in the thread, was impressed by the compassion here and overwhelmed almost to the point of tears that her atheist baby sister cared enough to seek other counsel. (We cried a bit together as we are wont to do from time to time.)

The upshot is that she had printed out the thread and was going to talk with her pastor last night and pray with him about this. She will let me know the outcome tonight.

Be well, all, an thanks again for your input.

~G~
Praise God sister! :clap: I don't know if you guys have heard this before but I want to tell you a joke... I might butcher it if you already know but here is it. There was an old lady that lived beside a mean young boy. Every day she would kneel beside her window and pray. Some days a young boy would come up to the window and point at her and laugh as she prayed mocking her. One day as she prayed the boy snuck up to the window and just before leaping to scare her noticed the window cracked so he stopped to listen. The woman prayed for food and nourishment. The next day the young man went out and bought a sack of groceries and laid them on the old womens porch, rung the doorbell, and hid within the bushes. When the lady opened the door and saw a bag of groceries there she began praising God and shouting His name. About that time the young man, who believed he had pulled one over on the lady, leapt from the bushes and told her with a sneer that it was he who had put the groceries there. The lady became the more excited and said, " God delivered these groceries and He used the devil to do it!"

This is just a scenerio but be assured that God can use anybody to do wonderful things. Even you Granet. I thank God for your obedience and pray that you seek the same.

In Christ,
All4one:clap:

Upvote 0

n2wolves

Sep 4, 2003
Tennessee
✟15,600.00
Faith
Non-Denom
reconciliation said:
I think none has claimed that Benny Hinn would
heal anyone. All Christians know that Jesus is our
Healer and "by his stripes we were healed". However,
he is the same yesterday, today and forever. We
are his body on Earth. How did he heal people in the
book of Acts? It was through his body, the church.
So has he changed his way to manifest his power?
We have no reason to believe so. 1 Cor. teaches that
the gifts of the spirit will cease but it is not going to
happen until "that which is perfect has come". But as
long as we are not perfect, we need spiritual gifts, and
That which is perfect is love...thats what Paul is saying in 1 Cor Chapter 13 thats why its sometimes referred to as the love chapter..a new way not the continuance of supernatural gifts thru the Holy Spirit.

1Co 13:13 But now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/00001684-.html

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I try and believe the best things about such as Benny Hinn, as the Bible tells us to give the benefit of the doubt, but I also consider "if the shoe fits" when reading the scriptures. Notice verse three when Peter warns of false prophets and their characteristics in 2Peter chapter two. Appealing to people's greed for money is definately a twist on scripture - givng only to get. Can it be bad to check for bad prophets when the Bible tells us to do just that?

1Jo 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world.

2Peter 2:1 (NLT) But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach their destructive heresies about God and even turn against their Master who bought them. Theirs will be a swift and terrible end.
2 Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of them, Christ and his true way will be slandered.
3 In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their

3 (NRSV) And in their greed they will exploit you with deceptive words. Their condemnation, pronounced against them long ago, has not been idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

3 (BBE) And in their desire for profit they will come to you with words of deceit, like traders doing business in souls: whose punishment has been ready for a long time and their destruction is watching for them.

3 (KJV) And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Upvote 0

JohnnyV

Aug 14, 2004
✟628.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Garnet,
Tell your sister not to feel embarrassed. There have been many people in her situation. Does not make them 'foolish' just people who are wanting to see the Lord's working in their life. Just remind her that she doesn't necessarily need some preacher with 500$ suits to ask her for money or a showy atmosphere in order to see God work in her life!
Please encourage her to continue reading her bible and praying for wisdom and discernment. I think it is great that although you do not believe as she does, you still are there for her in a non judgemental way :)
God Bless you Both.
JohnnyV

Upvote 0