United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
leafrename contrast first time.PNG

Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yupo is non- absorbent, so the water won't bleed into the paper and spread. If the yupo is flat on a table the paint will stay where you put it until the water evaporates. I used a small brush without a lot of water to prevent unwanted bleeding. I could never get this much texture and detail with watercolor on paper. It's more akin to ink and wash, but the watercolor is easier to lift than ink which creates opportunity for a wider range of values with less effort. Minute highlight details can even be scratched out with a pin or penknife. Acrylic ink works too and adheres better. The watercolor would need to be framed under glass to prevent smudging.
Yupo is also popular with alcohol inks. Here's a detail of an abstract i did with alcohol ink on yupo. The pattterns were formed by the chemical interactions between the various pigments. It was fascinating to watch. View attachment 241324

I know this is very old post but I still want to comment and say that looks amazing! I try alcohol inks soon too and im so excited. ^_^

• Friendly
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know this is very old post but I still want to comment and say that looks amazing! I try alcohol inks soon too and im so excited. ^_^
Thank you! If you want to try them out you can make them yourself easily. Break open a permanent marker like a Sharpie and then put the spongy ink cartridge in about 2 or 3 ounces of isopropyl alcohol in a small plastic vile. . I tried a few colors like orange and viridian and they are identical to the expensive alcohol inks sold commercially. There are youtube videos on how to do it if needed. I'd suggest using a small vial with a dropper cap (like an eye drop bottle). It is messy getting the marker open but worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thank you so much, yes I didn’t do any sketching just traight with ink.
These are great! I prefer the ink drawing but both are fantastic. By the ink drawing it's clear you have a steady hand but are spontaneous at the same time.
Thank you! If you want to try them out you can make them yourself easily. Break open a permanent marker like a Sharpie and then put the spongy ink cartridge in about 2 or 3 ounces of isopropyl alcohol in a small plastic vile. . I tried a few colors like orange and viridian and they are identical to the expensive alcohol inks sold commercially. There are youtube videos on how to do it if needed. I'd suggest using a small vial with a dropper cap (like an eye drop bottle). It is messy getting the marker open but worth it.

Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I didn’t know you can use markers. I will watch that video soon.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 304887

I tried alcoholinks. There is some glitter too but I don’t know if you can see it.
That came out fantastic! I can't say i've ever seen anything quite like it. It reminds me of a sock puppet. The glitter isn't coming thru on my monitor. What did you use for paper?

Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
That came out fantastic! I can't say i've ever seen anything quite like it. It reminds me of a sock puppet. The glitter isn't coming thru on my monitor. What did you use for paper?

My phone is eating all the colors aswell they are more vibrant than in picture. Oh well :D I used Marabu alcohol ink pad 280g.

Upvote 0