Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I finished the painting i had been working on here is the final painting with frame. I also added this photo to post #678 so the steps can somewhat be seen. with frame it ended up being 60x36

Enjoyed the progress shots on this one. Good work.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't felt like painting much until a couple of days ago. This was a fun technique. I was watching someone use white colored pencil on black paper. I wanted to try something similar, but didn't want to buy the paper, so did it digitally.

m1res.PNG

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟667,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I haven't felt like painting much until a couple of days ago. This was a fun technique. I was watching someone use white colored pencil on black paper. I wanted to try something similar, but didn't want to buy the paper, so did it digitally.

View attachment 296075
That's outstanding. There is a similar technique of covering a white canvas in black paint then using a rag to wipe out the lights. The figure is outstanding.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's outstanding. There is a similar technique of covering a white canvas in black paint then using a rag to wipe out the lights. The figure is outstanding.

You would have to do that while it was still wet? I would guess oil or something would be best?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris V++

Associate Member
Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟667,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You would have to do that while it was still wet? I would guess oil or something would be best?
Yeah oil or even acrylic if you add a littler glycerin to slow down the dry time.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟667,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
These are fantastic. What is the grey object hovering in the first one. I'm thinking 'ancient aliens' saucer. The contrast and light in both are fantastic. Good job with the linear perspective in #2 . Only possible tweak would be a few of the edges of the second story windows not falling into perspective. That's really tough especially when the vanishing point is way off the page.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟667,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, I might be more interested in the second option.
Golden makes a line of acrylics called 'Golden Open' cause they stay wet for longer than normal acrylics. I think there are other slow dry acrylic options from other suppliers. . The secret sauce in the Open line I m almost certain is the glycerin. It doesn't take much, just a drop in every dollup of acrylic paint and it will not dry for an hour or so and behave more like oil paint. Plus it has a more oil like sheen when dry. I've used glycerin on cheap acrylics and they perform just like the top shelf lines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are fantastic. What is the grey object hovering in the first one. I'm thinking 'ancient aliens' saucer. The contrast and light in both are fantastic. Good job with the linear perspective in #2 . Only possible tweak would be a few of the edges of the second story windows not falling into perspective. That's really tough especially when the vanishing point is way off the page.

Yeah, it is an alien craft. The title of that one is "They Found Me," implying someone who had been hiding from people trying to track her down, which explains the barren landscape.

I am terrible at perspective. I spent so much time on those I just called it good. Because I was painting on the Nintendo 3ds the screen is slick and it is hard to get the lines straight. And while in other programs like photoshop you could snap to grids, or use buttons to constrain angles, in this it is just free-hand painting. I didn't do a line drawing either, so just started throwing in shapes of paint, and refined it to that eventually.

Here is the video on that one. The perspective was laughable for the first hour or more!

Colors Live - Alley by tall73

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Golden makes a line of acrylics called 'Golden Open' cause they stay wet for longer than normal acrylics. I think there are other slow dry acrylic options from other suppliers. . The secret sauce in the Open line I m almost certain is the glycerin. It doesn't take much, just a drop in every dollup of acrylic paint and it will not dry for an hour or so and behave more like oil paint. Plus it has a more oil like sheen when dry. I've used glycerin on cheap acrylics and they perform just like the top shelf lines.

Thanks! I will see if the kids want to try it. They use acrylics a lot.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟868,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 298726Hello. I draw More Graffiti type Stuff. I do more on paper. But this one I have done digital. Thinking about doing more Digital art. Nice to see other artists drawings instead of my own.

Interesting approach on this one. Do you do the line work first and then fill?

Do you have photos of the paper art?

Last edited:
Upvote 0