Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hm, I suppose a painting most of the time. Though really you can do either with the medium. Some have a lot more painting and some have more linework.

One of the nice things about this particular program is you can watch a video of each stroke in the painting:

Here is the video for this one:

Upward

Here is an example of a digital work that was more of a drawing:

277216_be6eadd41e376d5be0b0d1e0bc51474c.jpg

This was more of a painting:

276049_993794f9f268d2cfa7c942b4e2e36ba9.jpg

And this combined elements of both:

275650_4635964e1ee914aafbf79bcfe2048ea6.jpg

Some digital tools seek to mimic standard tools. So there are some programs like Corel Painter where you can use digital pencils, digital charcoal, digital water colors (even to the point where you can vary the water and have it run, and then dry the layer.)
I watched the video, i am guessing the video is a little fast than you actually work or is the video the same speed as you created the art.

I one part i saw where this little head appears as you were working. though i would post it. it is small and was worked over, i did not see it in the finished work.

canvas.jpg

I see so a tablet offers all kinds of medium tools.

what do you do for a physical copy, print the picture out.
those look good

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of the nice things about this particular program is you can watch a video of each stroke in the painting:

That's a great video. Now I have a better understanding of how that program works. Seems like that would be a great tool to teach conventional painting as well, at least the lessons about value and line and color. (not the materials aspect of traditional painting obviously.) Love that Dalmatian!

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are lovely especially the last one.

Thank you. Those were done some time back with a Wacom graphics tablet on a PC. The dalmation and the sky in the tree painting were with oil paints in Corel Painter. For the trees themselves and adjustments I used Corel Photopaint.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's an updated version of the landscape. Just making it up as I go. It looks better irl. The photo is done with my camera phone with limited processing.
(crop and color balance. )

update.jpg

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I watched the video, i am guessing the video is a little fast than you actually work or is the video the same speed as you created the art.

I one part i saw where this little head appears as you were working. though i would post it. it is small and was worked over, i did not see it in the finished work.

View attachment 249443

I see so a tablet offers all kinds of medium tools.

what do you do for a physical copy, print the picture out.
those look good

Yes, it is called a speed painting. If you record them manually you can play them at any speed. In this program the playback is a feature of the program and you can play it at three speeds. But all of them are faster than real speed. And it seems to vary depending on how long the original painting took. So on the quick mountain painting that took 12 minutes to paint it is not much above regular speed. But on a painting that took an hour and 40 minutes I think it goes a bit faster, or at least that is my perception.

As to the head, it could be a number of things. It could be where I started to put something then changed my mind. If you paint over it the video still shows it. Or it could be just a happenstance of brush strokes that looked like that. Or it could even be a playback error on the server side. Not sure in this case, as I don't remember seeing it! But with this particular painting it had a lot more small quick strokes to put in some of the textures on the hill side, so I put them in a lot faster than I usually would, without paying much attention to each stroke, just looking to eventually get the right look.

When I paint in watercolor for instance you almost have to plan out everything, as it is hard to recover whites, the hard edges can cause issues if you use them incorrectly, etc. But with digital sometimes you can just start throwing it on there because you can always undo, or delete the whole layer, or just paint right over it with no trace of the old.

For a physical copy you can print it out if you like. Or you can use a digital picture frame (I usually don't). Or you can use one of the several print making sites that print them professionally. For instance, the dalmation painting I made one print and gave to my mom some years back. We had a dog that looked similar growing up. The dog in my signature was a german shorthair that looked a lot like one we had as well, and I gave the pencil drawing to my dad.

You can also host them on art sites that sell prints so that others can buy them. I sold a few prints some years ago, but usually don't bother. And with the Nintendo it really doesn't output that large. Though in theory, because it is a vector format, you could enlarge it infinitely, but I don't have the software for it currently. Mostly I do it because I enjoy it, and sharing it on the web is more what I wind up doing anyway.

My wife has an art degree, and my kids all enjoy traditional art so we already have plenty of physical art, so that we are running out of space to display it! So it works fine for me to have it just online. And if anyone wants to look at it I can show them on my phone so I have it all the time, or I can email it.

Professionally a lot of folks have gone to digital because it is just so quick and convenient. They can edit it quickly to meet client change requests. And they can email it from anywhere allowing them to work with clients across the country or beyond.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a great video. Now I have a better understanding of how that program works. Seems like that would be a great tool to teach conventional painting as well, at least the lessons about value and line and color. (not the materials aspect of traditional painting obviously.) Love that Dalmatian!

Thank you! Yeah the dalmation was one of my favorites in Painter. I still prefer other programs to Painter in general, though it is professonal level. It is often just quite complex on the brush settings, and at the same time underpowered on general editing. So I usually use Corel Photopaint for painting and editing.

Some folks do amazing things in Painter though, and it has all kinds of tools that mimic traditional mediums.

One thing I like about the Colors3d site is you can sit and watch how all kinds of different folks paint. If you get some spare time check out this guy:

http://colorslive.com/author?id=2108

He was one of the ones they used when promoting the program. I think he is a professional concept artist. He is great with colors and just gets the most out of every stroke. I watched one of his vidoes where he did four fully realized landscapes in an hour. It is amazing to think what he can do on a three inch nintendo screen in no time! It probably is from years of practice meeting deadlines, but I can just sit and watch him and enjoy trying to figure out how he is so efficient.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a work in progress. I still need to add some rocks and trees in the foreground and maybe on the beach. So far its India Ink on Yupo.
View attachment 249451

I really like the texture you can get with this. You said your wife got you a whole roll of the Yupo, so how large is this work?

So far we have only done small ones with it (5x7, etc.)

How does the india ink compare to the alcohol inks on Yupo?

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really like the texture you can get with this. You said your wife got you a whole roll of the Yupo, so how large is this work?

So far we have only done small ones with it (5x7, etc.)

How does the india ink compare to the alcohol inks on Yupo?

Thanks. This is 11x14 inches. I cut it from the roll to fit a matted frame I have. The india ink handles the same as the acrylic inks. The alcohol ink is unlike either of the other inks. You can't really layer or build up alcohol ink because the alcohol binder consumes the previously applied layers, so its less useful for realism. Thanks again! The textures area a lot of fun.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. This is 11x14 inches. I cut it from the roll to fit a matted frame I have. The india ink handles the same as the acrylic inks. The alcohol ink is unlike either of the other inks. You can't really layer or build up alcohol ink because the alcohol binder consumes the previously applied layers, so its less useful for realism. Thanks again! The textures area a lot of fun.

Ah ok, so the alcohol ones are good for effects, but stick to the acrylics and india inks (or in our case water color and water based markers) for realism.

Thanks for the tips. I really enjoy looking at the work you do on Yupo, but I think it takes a lot of practice to get the results you do!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This did not turn out that well, since I started with more cartoony proportions then decided to switch it up from there. Every once in a while you get a piece you just fidget with for hours, overwork, and it still doesn't look right. I kept figuring out what I thought was wrong, changing it, then realizing that was probably not the problem afterall. Then I consulted two of my kids on what they thought was wrong, and tried to fix those.

One of the down sides of digital is that you can keep applying over and over again with the hope that you might eventually get it right, so it can lure you into this when you should probably just start over.

But it is a sketchbook thread, so even if it didn't work the way I hoped, I am still posting it anyway.

gl.png

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is a work in progress. I still need to add some rocks and trees in the foreground and maybe on the beach. So far its India Ink on Yupo.
View attachment 249451
Good work, yupo being synthetic is the paper real thin. i am guessing it does not buckle like cotton.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good work, yupo being synthetic is the paper real thin. i am guessing it does not buckle like cotton.

Yeah, it's paper thin, non absorbent, but so durable you can't even tear it. There's no tooth so it's very slick, like painting on wood.
This is a litho crayon
View attachment 249486

Oil on hardboard
View attachment 249487

Love your palette on the landscape and the portrait is outstanding. The pond /puddle is exceptional. Great textures too.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This did not turn out that well, since I started with more cartoony proportions then decided to switch it up from there. Every once in a while you get a piece you just fidget with for hours, overwork, and it still doesn't look right. I kept figuring out what I thought was wrong, changing it, then realizing that was probably not the problem afterall. Then I consulted two of my kids on what they thought was wrong, and tried to fix those.

One of the down sides of digital is that you can keep applying over and over again with the hope that you might eventually get it right, so it can lure you into this when you should probably just start over.

But it is a sketchbook thread, so even if it didn't work the way I hoped, I am still posting it anyway.

View attachment 249478

I think you did a great job with this. The only part that looks a little off are the sunglasses. I'd be afraid to even attempt those ellipses in perspective. The mouth is really good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had to look up litho crayons. That is a good job on a challenging angle. Do you do a lot with that medium? What are the characteristics?
[/quote]
Oil on hardboard
View attachment 249487[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the years I lived in North Dakota. The light on these is well done. We would go walking in the evening when you would see hard light like that hitting the bales. Brings back good memories!

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I had to look up litho crayons. That is a good job on a challenging angle. Do you do a lot with that medium? What are the characteristics?
Oil on hardboard
View attachment 249487[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the years I lived in North Dakota. The light on these is well done. We would go walking in the evening when you would see hard light like that hitting the bales. Brings back good memories![/QUOTE]

The litho crayons are wax based. rich blacks can be achieved and a good value range is there. But usually once a mark is made it is there no erasing.

That Oil I was able to get the painting before the water dried up. That is one thing around here where i am, either something is growing or dying, not much stays the same, farmers are continuing to change their land.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The litho crayons are wax based. rich blacks can be achieved and a good value range is there. But usually once a mark is made it is there no erasing.
Are they generally square like a graphite block? Or was that just the picture I saw?

That Oil I was able to get the painting before the water dried up. That is one thing around here where i am, either something is growing or dying, not much stays the same, farmers are continuing to change their land.
I thought it was unusual to have damp hay bales! Must have been right after a hard rain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative