Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I will not over load yall with artwork but since i just learned of this area of christian forums. Thought i would add a few more.
This is a pencil drawing

pecans+.jpg

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will not over load yall with artwork but since i just learned of this area of christian forums. Thought i would add a few more.
This is a pencil drawing

View attachment 249334

Great drawing! The photo is a little washed out. You can increase contrast in a program like photoshop or an equivalent to darken the darks and lighten the lights if needed. I love graphite but rarely have the patience. My crow avatar is graphite.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Great drawing! The photo is a little washed out. You can increase contrast in a program like photoshop or an equivalent to darken the darks and lighten the lights if needed. I love graphite but rarely have the patience. My crow avatar is graphite.

Thanks, sometimes i do not get a good photo, this was on of those. It is an older drawing and i was giving it away for a gift and just wanted a photo for a record.

Pencil it is simple, but yet can easily appear over worked if not careful

Is the crow a drawing you did, it is kind of hard to see small, but looks nice for what i can see.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a pencil drawing

View attachment 249334

Don't worry about overwhelming us! We are just glad we have more people here sharing their work. Feel free to post whatever you like.

This section of the forum is not well known, but hopefully we can change that.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Lately I have gotten spoiled by digital. You can undo, have no problems scanning it because you don't have to, etc.

And if I am going to do mostly line based work I prefer a crayola marker because it is so easy to transfer to digital and vector.

But graphite brings back memories of when I started drawing, so I still do it now and again.

• Agree
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great pastels! I could only even use oil pastels. My soft pastels always ended up looking muddy.

Is the crow a drawing you did, it is kind of hard to see small, but looks nice for what i can see
Yeah the crow was a graphite drawing. I may have posted a larger image of it here somewhere.

Lately I have gotten spoiled by digital. You can undo, have no problems scanning it because you don't have to, etc.
Yeah i can see how you could be more productive too. Sometimes its just a chore even getting all the paints set up, etc. That's why I used to like oil pastels-they are just ready to go.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
These are great. Do you do dog portraits for people regularly? How large are these pieces?

That is another drawback to digital. I get accustomed to working at small sizes with just a large digital canvass.
I do i do not advertise but occasionally i get a call/email about a drawing. My main focus is oil paint (some water color) landscape, still life and figurative but i do love to draw but i am just a traditional approach to art paper, pencils, and paint
Maybe this will give an idea to the size the paper unframed is 19x25" i would say close to life size

The girl charcoal is a little larger 22x30 or something like that

and the tree landscape is small 8x12

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Great pastels! I could only even use oil pastels. My soft pastels always ended up looking muddy.

Yeah the crow was a graphite drawing. I may have posted a larger image of it here somewhere.

Yeah i can see how you could be more productive too. Sometimes its just a chore even getting all the paints set up, etc. That's why I used to like oil pastels-they are just ready to go.
You are using oil pastels, I use the dry pastels, i start out with a harder brand (rembrandt) and develop the drawing. then go in with my better pastels like Unison

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is why I am really loving painting on the Nintendo 3ds. I was hesitant to even get it because I thought it would be way too small. I just pick it up, start painting, and a few minutes later I have something.

There is a lady at my church who started painting after she retired. She loves doing it, but it takes her weeks to do a painting. She can't believe how fast you can work in digital.

Here is a quick 12 minute painting I did just before coming to see this comment. It is so fun to just jump in and quickly paint something. And if I don't like it, I just delete and move on. I thought about taking the time to refine this, but for now just want to move to the next scene.

4206060-tNUr4YXwaku4x3Ag.png

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do i do not advertise but occasionally i get a call/email about a drawing.
That is great. My daughters do all traditional work and they have had some folks ask them to do pet portraits.

My main focus is oil paint (some water color) landscape, still life and figurative but i do love to draw but i am just a traditional approach to art paper, pencils, and paint
Maybe this will give an idea to the size the paper unframed is 19x25" i would say close to life size
Wow that is quite large! Out of curiosity which grip do you use on the pencil? A traditional writing grip or more holding the brush under in a painting grip?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That is great. My daughters do all traditional work and they have had some folks ask them to do pet portraits.

Wow that is quite large! Out of curiosity which grip do you use on the pencil? A traditional writing grip or more holding the brush under in a painting grip?

I hold a pencil ( i am right handed) traditional now some times working with charcoal i have made bamboo holders , so i am back away from the charcoal almost like holding a long handle brush

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hold a pencil ( i am right handed) traditional now some times working with charcoal i have made bamboo holders , so i am back away from the charcoal almost like holding a long handle brush

I wondered if a longer brush, moving more from the elbow, would work well with the larger size. Is that the reason for the holders?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I wondered if a longer brush, moving more from the elbow, would work well with the larger size. Is that the reason for the holders?
I do like to back away from the charcoal. The sticks for me need a little room i break them in half and place a half in the holder. And i can mass out the planes and form with these constructed lines. Like a few you see that are left of two of the dogs

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your tablet work (i know nothing about this kind of medium) would this be called a drawing or do you consider this is more like painting.

Hm, I suppose a painting most of the time. Though really you can do either with the medium. Some have a lot more painting and some have more linework.

One of the nice things about this particular program is you can watch a video of each stroke in the painting:

Here is the video for this one:

Upward

Here is an example of a digital work that was more of a drawing:

277216_be6eadd41e376d5be0b0d1e0bc51474c.jpg

This was more of a painting:

276049_993794f9f268d2cfa7c942b4e2e36ba9.jpg

And this combined elements of both:

275650_4635964e1ee914aafbf79bcfe2048ea6.jpg

Some digital tools seek to mimic standard tools. So there are some programs like Corel Painter where you can use digital pencils, digital charcoal, digital water colors (even to the point where you can vary the water and have it run, and then dry the layer.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hm, I suppose a painting most of the time. Though really you can do either with the medium. Some have a lot more painting and some have more linework.

One of the nice things about this particular program is you can watch a video of each stroke in the painting:

Here is the video for this one:

Upward

Here is an example of a digital work that was more of a drawing:

277216_be6eadd41e376d5be0b0d1e0bc51474c.jpg

This was more of a painting:

276049_993794f9f268d2cfa7c942b4e2e36ba9.jpg

And this combined elements of both:

275650_4635964e1ee914aafbf79bcfe2048ea6.jpg

Some digital tools seek to mimic standard tools. So there are some programs like Corel Painter where you can use digital pencils, digital charcoal, digital water colors (even to the point where you can vary the water and have it run, and then dry the layer.)

These are lovely especially the last one.

Upvote 0