Visit site
✟558,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I read the texts of "exorcisms" done by RCC priests, I find myself thinking that something is drastically wrong here. They go on and on and on and on and on, arguing with the demon and demanding answers to things that ultimately support wrong RCC dogmas.

Contrast that to the explusion of the demon from the maiden in the book of Acts, where St. Peter told the demon to leave and it left.

Something ain't right.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dont you care about your brothers and sisters in Christ? Whatever denomination they come from?
I do, but what can I do about RC praxis when I am not RC?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They go on and on and on and on and on, arguing with the demon and demanding answers to things that ultimately support wrong RCC dogmas.
Yes, It seem to me, why address the demon at all. It is not about the power of the exorcist over the demon. It is about the power of Christ. An exorcism, it seems to me, should be all about praying to Christ to do the exorcism and completely ignore the demon.

But then, what do I know.

How many exorcisms did Fr Amorth do? 160,000? 1986 to 2013 27 years That is 5,926 a year, 493/ month 16/day.

Forgive my skepticism.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
When I read the texts of "exorcisms" done by RCC priests, I find myself thinking that something is drastically wrong here. They go on and on and on and on and on, arguing with the demon and demanding answers to things that ultimately support wrong RCC dogmas.

Contrast that to the explusion of the demon from the maiden in the book of Acts, where St. Peter told the demon to leave and it left.

Something ain't right.

I did not watch the video, but this is correct. We do not converse with demons. Jesus told the demons, more or less, "Shut up and come out!" and that was all there was said about it.

Reactions: Dewi Sant
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dogheaded

Jun 17, 2023
Windsor
✟18,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, It seem to me, why address the demon at all. It is not about the power of the exorcist over the demon. It is about the power of Christ. An exorcism, it seems to me, should be all about praying to Christ to do the exorcism and completely ignore the demon.

But then, what do I know.

How many exorcisms did Fr Amorth do? 160,000? 1986 to 2013 27 years That is 5,926 a year, 493/ month 16/day.

Forgive my skepticism.

And he supported pentacostal style 'exorcism'

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Something ain't right.
Exorcism is an official prayer. They're not supposed to go on and on anyway. *shrug*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Saw this video...
I am confused. What about the video are you trying to draw attention to?

If it's about the apparent claim of the exorcist Gabriele Amorth of demons being happy about people receiving communion in the hand, I'm not sure the claim is actually one he made. So, the person in the video shows the following on screen at some point, which I'll include here for ease of seeing:
Father Gabriele Amorth was the official exorcist of the Holy See for decades, until his death in September of this year. Fr. Amorth said in the year 2013 that he would have held some 160,000 exorcisms.

And some of his exorcisms became known through the book “Confessions of Hell to the exorcist Fr. Gabriele Amorth”.

And we want to share a conversation during an exorcism in 1975 that talks about communion in the hand.

Fr. Gabriele Amorth – Tell only the truth in the Name of the Precious Blood, of the Holy Cross, of the Immaculate Conception …

Demon (A) – We worked for a long time, down there (points down) until we got Communion in hand to be put into practice. Communion in the hand is very good for us in hell; Believe!

Fr. GA – We command you in Name (…) to say only what Heaven commands you! It says only the truth, the whole truth. You have no right to lie. Get out of this body! Go!

Demon – ELA (Virgin Mary) (points up) wants me to say …

Fr. GA – Tell the truth, in Name (…).

Demon – SHE wants me to say … that if SHE, the great LADY, still lived, would receive Communion in her mouth, and on her knees, and would bow down deeply (show how the Blessed Virgin would proceed).

Fr. GA – In the Name of the Blessed Virgin … tell the truth!

Demon – I have to say that you should not receive Communion in your hand. The Pope himself gives Communion in the mouth. It is not his will to give Communion in his hand. This comes from your Cardinals.

Fr. GA- In Name (…) tell the truth!

Demon – SHE wants me to say … that if SHE, the great LADY, still lived, would receive Communion in her mouth, and on her knees, and would bow down deeply (show how the Blessed Virgin would proceed).

Fr. GA – In the Name of the Blessed Virgin … tell the truth!

Demon – I have to say that you should not receive Communion in your hand. The Pope himself gives Communion in the mouth. It is not his will to give Communion in his hand. This comes from your Cardinals.

Fr. GA- In Name (…) tell the truth!

Demon – From them passed to the Bishops, and then the Bishops thought that it was a matter of obedience, that they had to obey the Cardinals. Hence, the idea passed to the Priests and also they thought that they had to submit because the obedience is written in capital letters.

Fr. GA – Tell the truth. You do not have the right to lie in Name (…).

Demon – One is not obliged to obey the bad ones. It is to the Pope, to JESUS CHRIST, and to the Blessed Virgin that we must obey. Communion in the hand is by no means dear to God.
This is one of those things you can find posted in various places online, and as is often the case it's hard to figure out who the original poster of it was. Regardless of who wrote the above up, I am not so sure it is true... that is, I am not sure Amorth ever described an exorcism of this kind.

Now, Gabriele Amorth has been criticized even by some Catholics for making what they regard as sensationalist claims, so I expect some would be hesitant to trust it even if he did write up the above information. But did he? No source is actually given for this, other than the statement "And some of his exorcisms became known through the book “Confessions of Hell to the exorcist Fr. Gabriele Amorth”." Perhaps that is meant to be the source, but the problem is, I can't find this book at all. If you do a search for this title online, it only turns up re-postings of that article. I tried searching for it in WorldCat and nothing came up. I thought perhaps it might be a translated title (he was Italian, after all), but a search for "Gabriele Amorth" in titles on WorldCat turns up nothing with that title in Italian either. Thus it's not clear at all where this whole thing came from. Maybe it was in an actual book he wrote, but he wrote several things, some of them not translated into English. Still, I went to archive.org and searched up books he wrote and ran a search in the English ones for "virgin" to see if anything like the above popped up (as that term is used repeatedly in the conversation), but I found nothing.

So I question whether this account of him performing the above alleged exorcism is even true. Like I said, maybe he did put it in some book, but without a clearer citation I have to wonder if it's some kind of urban legend or exaggeration of something he said.

• Informative
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

If it's about the apparent claim of the exorcist Gabriele Amorth of demons being happy about people receiving communion in the hand, I'm not sure the claim is actually one he made. So, the person in the video shows the following on screen at some point, which I'll include here for ease of seeing:

This is one of those things you can find posted in various places online, and as is often the case it's hard to figure out who the original poster of it was. Regardless of who wrote the above up, I am not so sure it is true... that is, I am not sure Amorth ever described an exorcism of this kind.

Now, Gabriele Amorth has been criticized even by some Catholics for making what they regard as sensationalist claims, so I expect some would be hesitant to trust it even if he did write up the above information. But did he? No source is actually given for this, other than the statement "And some of his exorcisms became known through the book “Confessions of Hell to the exorcist Fr. Gabriele Amorth”." Perhaps that is meant to be the source, but the problem is, I can't find this book at all. If you do a search for this title online, it only turns up re-postings of that article. I tried searching for it in WorldCat and nothing came up. I thought perhaps it might be a translated title (he was Italian, after all), but a search for "Gabriele Amorth" in titles on WorldCat turns up nothing with that title in Italian either. Thus it's not clear at all where this whole thing came from. Maybe it was in an actual book he wrote, but he wrote several things, some of them not translated into English. Still, I went to archive.org and searched up books he wrote and ran a search in the English ones for "virgin" to see if anything like the above popped up (as that term is used repeatedly in the conversation), but I found nothing.

So I question whether this account of him performing the above alleged exorcism is even true. Like I said, maybe he did put it in some book, but without a clearer citation I have to wonder if it's some kind of urban legend or exaggeration of something he said.
The entire video was strange to me. I have never been RC. I just wanted to see what other EO thought about it...

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I've only been able to find three books of his, "An Exorcist Tells His Story", "My Battle Against Satan" and "The Devil Is Afraid of Me". Perhaps it is a chapter in one of those books?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never said "it was our fight". Just thought it strange...and wondered what others thought
I gotcha, just saying I thought it was weird to post this on here, unless there was some tie in to the Church (like it was inspiring our clergy or something).

Upvote 0