• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Commonalities of those who believe in Evolution of Life on Earth

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by dad, Aug 3, 2017.

1. 1 - They disbelieve strongly in the Scriptural account

100.0%
  2. They embrace same sex marriage, gay rights, and abortion.

75.0%
  3. They want to leave planet earth, which they think is doomed

37.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Non sequitur

Non sequitur Wokest Bae Of The Forum

+532
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Well, you asked me to. Seeing that the purpose of this was to confirm creation deniers biases and selective thinking, what did you conclude?

(I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate; I'm genuinely curious of the details.)

2. Obliquinaut

Obliquinaut Сделайте Америку прекрасной

+1,626
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    And yet I can easily explain every single aspect of my morality without reference to God. I don't endeavor to do good simply because someone told me to in a book somewhere.

I worry for anyone who can't explain their morality without it ultimately devolving down to "God told me to do this."

God tends to tell people what they want to hear.

3. Obliquinaut

+1,626
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Here's what your "correlation" is missing. Many of us are heterosexual but since we aren't terrified of teh gayz we say "live and let live". That's very different from embracing the Sodom lifestyle.

For instance I'm heterosexual but the mere thought of you engaging in carnal activities kinda makes me ill. Yet I'm a-ok with you doing whatever it is you do in the privacy of your home with consenting adults so long as you don't hurt anyone.

4. Obliquinaut

+1,626
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Ummm, well, sure. Because Jesus said to do different things that amount to a moral lifestyle. Of course if I can explain why I follow many of those tenants without reference to God then I actually have a foundation for following them. As opposed to, you know, just doing it because Jesus said to do it.

Excellent! So when I work at a food bank or donate to a charity (even a recent donation I made to support some Christian friends' missionary work) it is a filthy joke to Jesus.

You know, that kinda makes Jesus look less than appealing as a moral teacher. Just sayin'.

Thankfully I don't worship that kind of concept.

5. Obliquinaut

+1,626
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I get the whole "Grace" thing, but would you believe that I actually like the concept of "Grace" but on a more secular level?

I feel that, like Christians believe, we are all "fallen". We are all prone to acts of evil or ill will and we are all likely to hurt other people at times. But we are in a society that is stronger if we remain cohesive. We need to care for each other. Yet so few of us truly deserve the love and care of our neighbors. That's true for all of us. "Grace" in this form comes from our fellow humans who freely grant us the love and support we may not always deserve. And it should be our goal to freely provide love and support, even to people we really dislike.

And if the story of Jesus is limited solely to his death on the cross it has even less value to me. I mean no offense because that is often the cornerstone of many Christians' beliefs. But the things he taught (or were attributed to him) often times are wonderful aphorisms to live by. Truth that can be verified. Love thy neighbor...it works because we are all neighbors. Judge not...it works because sooner later we can also be judged for our misdeeds. The list goes on.

The fact that God manifested himself to be a sacrifice to himself to atone his creation to himself is less interesting to me than how we can create a society that works to help everyone. And treats everyone with equity.

6. AirPo

AirPo with a Touch of Grey

+7,090
    Atheist
    Married
    Neither do you.

7. Obliquinaut

+1,626
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I assume that is a form of insult?

Not asking for utopia. Asking for people to behave according to the better angels of their nature.

OK. Well, thanks, but I'll keep trying to do right by others even if you don't think it has any value. Thankfully I don't need the approval of people who hold such a corrosive theology.

Cheap phony piety won't do it either. But you keep on keepin' on.

So since it has been an ideal that has not been achieved, it is meaningless to care about other people?
    Do you actually think through your position before you speak it?

Look, I get it. I offend you because you wouldn't be able to figure out I was an atheist by looking at the fruit I bear. And that scares you. It scares you because you have a version of reality in which people who don't believe in God are DOOOOMED, EVIL BEINGS! Embracing Sodom! OOooooH! But meanwhile so many atheists out there are OK people who live perfectly normal lives and have a perfectly fine morality. A morality that in almost all ways doesn't differ from yours (with the exception of being a bit more tolerant of people who were born different from them).

That's scary isn't it? But your bluster keeps you appearing to be strong and sure and proud.

And it's that pride part that I find the most ironic. Because, well, you know what they say about pride going before destruction and "an haughty spirit" before a fall.

I'd say you got the PRIDE and HAUGHTY SPIRIT stuff down pretty good.

Enjoy.

8. Obliquinaut

+1,626
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I don't think you are tracking on the conversation: I don't want some eternal life. I'm an atheist. Life is all we have so why worry about how I'm going to spend an eternity I don't believe in?

And again, atheists aren't usually the ones flying planes into buildings.

Again, you seem to live in a very dark and horrible place. I've never met anyone who thinks abortion is a "good" thing. Honestly. I don't say that glibly. Most of us who are Pro-Choice would LOVE it if there was never another abortion that ever happened. That's why we support birth control and sex education and options for people who make mistakes or find themselves in what appears to them to be an untenable situation.

Instead we have to fight against God-Fearing Evangelicals who think pooling our economic wealth to help the poor is somehow "bad". Or who feel that providing birth control is a sin.

And thus you reserve for yourself all virtue. Good one. Another crown for you in heaven! Polish it well! Shiny shiny crowns! Lots of jewels! Ooooo, sparkly!

Funny, I have seen lots of people who believe in Jesus but love their guns and worship money with the best of 'em. I've seen the most pious people you could ever meet who love them some Jesus but who treat others with such bile that it makes me wonder.

No, Dad, don't be confused. YOU ARE PROUD. Look at your posts on this forum. Your pride is thick. Your haughtiness is world class.

9. Non sequitur

+532
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Constitution
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10. Obliquinaut

+1,626
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    ^^^^HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT THE CHRISTIAN TELLING ME TO DIE^^^^

FTW!

11. Non sequitur

+532
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Has there been a recent baby killing movement that I am unaware of?

12. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+6,580
    Atheist
    Single
    No one is suggesting killing off others to reduce the population, except for you.

Do you know what a strawman argument is?

13. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+2,493
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    If we follow you're (or God's) logic, after WW2 it would have been appropriate to kill every man, woman and child in Germany as holy retribution for the Holocaust.
    OB

14. Allandavid

Allandavid Well-Known Member

+5,791
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Your Bible says NOTHING about being homosexual.

15. Obliquinaut

+1,626
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I'm not in favor of killing off others!

C'mon, Dad. I'm going to have to report you! Thankfully this is not a time when I'm particularly suicidal but you just can't say stuff like that! And then to double down on it and BEAR FALSE WITNESS AGAINST ME is just sick!

Is this really what Jesus' message means to you????

16. Allandavid

Allandavid Well-Known Member

+5,791
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    And the only "commonality" that is shared by those of us who accept evolutionary theory is that we have an evidenced-based view of the world...

17. Subduction Zone

+6,580
    Atheist
    Single
    No dad, that would be on your list.

18. Subduction Zone

+6,580
    Atheist
    Single
    Nope, you don't appear to understand what the word "baby" means.

19. Subduction Zone

+6,580
    Atheist
    Single

And there go a bunch of irony meters again. You do realize that you are in no position to make such a claim since you keep implying that God is a liar.

20. Subduction Zone

+6,580
    Atheist
    Single
  21. Subduction Zone

+6,580
    Atheist
    Single
    Every time you claim that the flood of Noah is real you do so. Every time you deny the fact of evolution you do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.