CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing about MMA or similar violent sports that is compatible with God. God's spirit is love, peace, mercy, etc. Nothing in there about "beat up thy neighbor as long as it's called "sport""
Well then technically football should not be watched then. The men tend to be violent in their actions. There are always injuries. And for most of them its about the money. If anything the NFL is the perfect depiction of an idol to most americans. These games (like MMA) are about athleticism not violence. If it were about violence and nothing else then people wouldn't bother training and just be fighting with guns or swords.

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well then technically football should not be watched then. The men tend to be violent in their actions. There are always injuries. And for most of them its about the money. If anything the NFL is the perfect depiction of an idol to most americans. These games (like MMA) are about athleticism not violence. If it were about violence and nothing else then people wouldn't bother training and just be fighting with guns or swords.

I don't know if this was a sarcastic reply, but I agree that football and other "blood sports" should not be watched. As I said before, most sports get their history from ritual sacrifice - the losers were killed while the stadium/Colosseum of people poured their violent energies into the "game." Modern stadiums mimic Roman Colosseums; the same "energy" goes into things like MMA, football, soccer, boxing, etc. as it did many years ago. The difference is that "we" have led "ourselves" to believe it is different because there are "rules." No, Superbowl, MMA PPV, boxing PPV are the same ritualistic names of old. God would not approve of people beating each other until a referee has to call "stop," or tackling someone so hard they get spinal injuries and/or concussions.

As I said before, sparring to execute technique while at the same time holding back one's power is much different than two fighters fighting in an octagon cage. Real sparring is tantamount to children wrestling and "play fighting" for play. Those types of activities are good, because it teaches the two techniques for melee in real future events of defense. I abhor commercial "MMA" because 1) the fighters aren't actual true MMA fighters; they mostly learn BJJ and a smattering of other martial arts, and 2) the fighters are encouraged to beat their opponents until they submit, or until the ref call stop. That isn't Godly training; that is fleshly training.

It may sound crazy, but our Father taught me martial arts, how to restrain myself, how not to show off, and how to spar with others. I have met some great brothers and sisters that way. I have sparred with some of them, and I have hurt some. There are very few sensations that can rival seeing that you hurt a brother in a sparring match meant to be an exhibition match because you don't know your strength. Blood sports are supported by crowd energy and physical money. So, assuming you weren't being facetious, you are right that even American football shouldn't be watched. No blood sport should be supported - especially given the injuries that occur.

Upvote 0