London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not saying you're doing this, but someone can still be racist if they describe another group of people in a generalized way, especially if a person describes a group as if it is afflicted with a pathology. It doesn't matter if one is sympathetic to that group, those are racist views. We should view racism less as in someone being a bad person, and more as the views and ideas denoting a racist attitude. Describing a group of people with a pathology based on their skin tone, even if someone makes the weak attempt to swap skin tone for "culture," is racist. For instance, "So many black people live in poverty and I am sad to see that. I would love to see more investment in their communities. But most importantly, they need to look at how their black culture is the real problem; once they understand that, they can more easily elevate themselves." Yeah, that's racist.

Exactly. It can be the kind of 'help' that is essentially just restating the status quo but framed in a way to try and make the person look more sympathetic.

Additionally, someone trying to 'help' a group may be insisting on helping them in a way that group doesn't want, or know will only make things worse for them, which isn't being a good ally.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It doesn’t actually say that the perpetrators were white suprematists. It alludes to the fact that white suprematist propaganda appears to be on the increase, which coincides with these incidents.

It also alludes to this.. Zoombombing Extremists, Trolls Target Virtual Black History Month Events

I suggest you have a read through it, of course, it’s possible that they aren’t white suprematists, maybe they are just indulging in a bit of harmless fun eh?

Maybe they're trying to justify a false narrative? Or just taking advantage of it?

Upvote 0

Triumvirate

Oct 22, 2020
London
✟21,962.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lol a good ally....

What's a good ally?

Try adding in the previous three words, absorb the syntax, then try parsing the entire sentence again, instead of braying at cherry-picked bits of it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not saying you're doing this, but someone can still be racist if they describe another group of people in a generalized way, especially if a person describes a group as if it is afflicted with a pathology. It doesn't matter if one is sympathetic to that group, those are racist views. We should view racism less as in someone being a bad person, and more as the views and ideas denoting a racist attitude. Describing a group of people with a pathology based on their skin tone, even if someone makes the weak attempt to swap skin tone for "culture," is racist. For instance, "So many black people live in poverty and I am sad to see that. I would love to see more investment in their communities. But most importantly, they need to look at how their black culture is the real problem; once they understand that, they can more easily elevate themselves." Yeah, that's racist.

I (as well as many black commentators) have said most of these things myself, although not in those exact words. They are not racist to any except those who see racism in anything that resembles criticism, no matter how legitimate.

You used the term "pathology". This article is very insightful (but not in the way the author intended).

Black Pathology and the Closing of the Progressive Mind - The Atlantic

My question to you: Is "black pathology" a thing?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Exactly. It can be the kind of 'help' that is essentially just restating the status quo but framed in a way to try and make the person look more sympathetic.

Additionally, someone trying to 'help' a group may be insisting on helping them in a way that group doesn't want, or know will only make things worse for them, which isn't being a good ally.

Cultural differences are often the cause of declining an offer of help.

"That's not the way we do things around here." :mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I (as well as many black commentators) have said most of these things myself, although not in those exact words. They are not racist to any except those who see racism in anything that resembles criticism, no matter how legitimate.

You used the term "pathology". This article is very insightful (but not in the way the author intended).

Black Pathology and the Closing of the Progressive Mind - The Atlantic

My question to you: Is "black pathology" a thing?
Did you just look for an article with the word pathology and then post this response? Your reply does not seem to address what I wrote at all.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did you just look for an article with the word pathology and then post this response? Your reply does not seem to address what I wrote at all.

I chose that article from among several, after examining the various definitions of the term.

I thought I addressed most of your points. What did I miss?

Upvote 0

Hvizsgyak

Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill
✟94,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,899.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What is it with some of these responses? I’m not going to presume to know what other posters personal politics are, but the occurrences described in the op are disgusting and it seems people are happy to make excuses, blame the media, blame BLM etc.

If there is such a “narrative” (I hate using that term, it seems to have become a buzzword for some sort of vague and sinister conspiracy) does that excuse harassing normal folks with hateful language and imagery?

Just a prank? Just a reaction to prevailing public opinion they don’t agree with?

Either one of those reasons, if true, would be pathetic, selfish and juvenile. Of course, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck etc... but no, we can’t just condemn them as racist idiots can we, we’d be being duped by the “narrative”.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Just a prank? Just a reaction to prevailing public opinion they don’t agree with?

Either one of those reasons, if true, would be pathetic, selfish and juvenile. Of course, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck etc... but no, we can’t just condemn them as racist idiots can we, we’d be being duped by the “narrative”.

As I noted earlier, the people who do these things as pranks feed off of whatever attention they get. Getting upset is the exact thing they want to see.

They get bored quickly if people don't respond, and generally ruin their trousers when the police come to their door.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
As I noted earlier, the people who do these things as pranks feed off of whatever attention they get. Getting upset is the exact thing they want to see.

They get bored quickly if people don't respond, and generally ruin their trousers when the police come to their door.
And they are racist as demonstrated by their racist behavior.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0