Mar 12, 2006
In my parents House
Visit site
✟8,624.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
i was wondering you guys thought about having a coffee shop in the church?
this is a debate at my church and was curious what you guys thought.
just for info, the coffee shop makes very little profit that goes back into the coffee shop, but they still make profit. what do you all think?

Nazaroo

Joseph is still alive! (Gen 45.26)
Dec 5, 2005
clinging to Jesus sandalstrap
✟10,730.00
Faith
Christian
Run it non-profit. Don't license it for alcohol.
Don't hold it in the church,
but at a reasonable distance from your worship area.
Don't use it as an outlet to market more dangerous drugs, legal or not.

Make sure there is good healthy food available,
and healthy substitute drinks, such as juices or milk,
and have plenty of signs and enticements to
encourage healthy eating and drinking.

Don't make it an 'away-from-home' easy source of donuts or fried fatty foods to encourage unmonitored gluttony or unhealthy eating habits leading to diabetes or weight gain.

Make it a 'lifestyle' change encouraging environment, and get your whole church on board, supporting both by example, and in outreach to the poor in your community. Make the homeless and those in difficult financial situations feel welcome to come and get councelling, compassion, and practical help in their struggles, especially in meeting the needs of food, clothing, shelter, and education of children in your neighbourhood.

Do this and your 'coffee shop' will both prosper, and have a Spiritual reason for being in the first place.

Peace

P.S. Add a safe, supervised daycare/play area for children, run by younger energetic female volunteers, and supervised or overseen by the pastor.

Upvote 0

lilymarie

The love of heaven makes one heavenly -Shakespeare
Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Whatever happened to just having a coffee machine? I don't think it would be a bad idea, but when I think of church, I don't think of a coffee shop. Besides, I can just see teenagers drinking it and bouncing off the walls!

Oh there are all kinds of churches. I was invited to one that is set up like a coffee house with separate tables, etc.

However, I never went for a visit.

As far as coffee, I liked Nazaroo's post, offer alternatives such as juice, milk.

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

Mark 11: 15-17

15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, "Is it not written:
" 'My house will be called
a house of prayer for all nations'? But you have made it 'a den of robbers.'"

I think this passage is very clear that Jesus didnt like the idea of people using Gods house to sell things. I think its wrong.

Upvote 0

BlessedGent

Mar 12, 2006
In my parents House
Visit site
✟8,624.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Run it non-profit. ...
Make sure there is good healthy food available,
and healthy substitute drinks, such as juices or milk,
and have plenty of signs and enticements to
encourage healthy eating and drinking.

Make it a 'lifestyle' change encouraging environment, and get your whole church on board, supporting both by example, and in outreach to the poor in your community. Make the homeless and those in difficult financial situations feel welcome to come and get councelling, compassion, and practical help in their struggles, especially in meeting the needs of food, clothing, shelter, and education of children in your neighbourhood.

Do this and your 'coffee shop' will both prosper, and have a Spiritual reason for being in the first place.

Peace

P.S. Add a safe, supervised daycare/play area for children, run by younger energetic female volunteers, and supervised or overseen by the pastor.

15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple area and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, "Is it not written:

I think this passage is very clear that Jesus didnt like the idea of people using Gods house to sell things. I think its wrong.

These were all brougt up by my sunday school group. I myself don't like it because it borders too close on the church gaining a profit and looking towards growing programs or something to that degree.

On the other hand, what if the coffee shop were used to raise funds directed toward missions and other charitable purposes with the knowledge of the attendees of the church?

what would you say to the coffee shop as being a place where community can grow and be felt? People line up and just hang out, wait for their coffee, talk and things like that.

Upvote 0

lilymarie

The love of heaven makes one heavenly -Shakespeare
Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Why doesn't the church have enough money to offer free coffee? I've never been to a church where they charged me for anything? And my old church (I don't live near there anymore) offered Bibles for free. That's where most of our extra tithe money went for Bibles and overseas Bible shipments to poor countries. Anyhow, I didn't catch that at first about paying for coffee at church?

Coffee, tea -- those things aren't very costly -- that should come out of the tithes and the offerings, not charge people extra for them.

Upvote 0

Jesusong

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟2,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
lilymarie said:
Why doesn't the church have enough money to offer free coffee? I've never been to a church where they charged me for anything? And my old church (I don't live near there anymore) offered Bibles for free.

Coffee, tea -- those things aren't very costly -- that should come out of the tithes and the offerings, not charge people extra for them.
My church does pretty mch the same thing. We have free coffee and donuts/muffins in the morning before Sunday School.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SecretBlessings

The Gift Of Giving
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2006
CF City 1st Ave
Visit site
✟35,339.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I agree.

Upvote 0
T

TrustingmyLord

BlessedGent said:
On the other hand, what if the coffee shop were used to raise funds directed toward missions and other charitable purposes with the knowledge of the attendees of the church?

what would you say to the coffee shop as being a place where community can grow and be felt? People line up and just hang out, wait for their coffee, talk and things like that.

I think there are many other ways to raise money that would be better than opening a store within the church itself.

As far as people having fellowship, free coffee and a casual siting area can provide the same thing, without going against the Bible.

Also, to outsiders, nonbelievers visiting the church, which makes a better Christian impression, shops where they can spend money, just as they do out on the streets, or free coffee offered to all?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.