Church Of The Nazarene - Do They Allow Women Pastors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"i believe women should help men get back their masculinity"

uhh...

I am not sure when where or IF I have "lost my masculinity"

I am older and produce less testosterone than earlier in life but I reject the idea that I have "lost my masculinity".

I appreciate the information very much about the women that Wesley licensed to preach.

In another forum we had had a discussion on Priscilla along with her husband Aquilla "instructing Apollos more fully in the ways of the Lord" - Apollos who was already spoken of as "mighty in the Scriptures" before Aquilla and Priscilla got him even smarter about things.

Philip's four daughters were clearly identified as PROPHETS - if anyone wants to look up the Strong's definition for prophaytais in that verse in Acts it will be clear that the daughters were preachin and teachin and there is no indication that it was "only to other women".

Junia is believed by many scholars to be a feminine name and was named "among the Apostles" by Paul.

Phoebe the Deaconess carried Paul's epistle to the Romans.

So despite what Paul said once in an epistle, the preponderance of the evidence is that women DID INDEED teach in the early church.

I do agree that my closest spiritual friend is more free of a lot of mental "head knowledge things" than I am - whether it is because I'm a man and she's a woman MAY be the reason - it also might be just a difference in temperament and personality

Reactions: Maid Marie
Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
"i believe women should help men get back their masculinity"

uhh...

I am not sure when where or IF I have "lost my masculinity"

I am older and produce less testosterone than earlier in life but I reject the idea that I have "lost my masculinity".

I don't believe I was pointing at anybody in particular.good for you if you still have it. But lots of man of my age are not anywhere near to what a leader would be.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not taking anything personal. Perhaps men are more argumentative by nature, I dunno, maybe more prone to dissect doctrine with a scalpel than simply love and "praise God that Christ is preached" - more inclined to head-knowledge rather than matters of the heart; I marvel at and want my friend to show me the love-side; I'm sorry she moved away- though younger she is 'spiritually advanced in some ways' though not in Bible-knowledge and things like that.

Americanvet said: "Jesus was beaten, murdered, and withstood it. He also is coming back for war, which He will imprison the enemy."

Gotta look at all sides of Him, huh? gentle Jesus - meek and mild; but also making a whip in the most holy place of Judaism, driving money-changers out and tossing tables all over the place

Tellin Peter to put away his sword after cutting that guy's ear off, Luke the Physician is the only gospel writer that tells us that Jesus put the guy's ear back on

I want the females to be feminine and show me THAT - I been enough of a warrior in my life - I know that Jesus loved/loves everyone,

but we do have this picture too:

Rev 19:11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him [was] called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 19:12 His eyes [were] as a flame of fire, and on his head [were] many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 19:13 And he [was] clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 19:14 And the armies [which were] in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 19:15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I remember as I was in the mentoring stage along the road towards ordained ministry. My mentor and his wife were both ordained elders in the UMC. I asked her, "Isn't it hard for you to be serving churches where men just don't respect your ordination because you are a woman." After some thought, she said, "you know, some people are just going to have to die before they ever get over it." I was taken aback a bit, but after a short time of reflection I got what she was saying. No amount of persuasion is ever going to change some people's minds. Even if they ask the questions like this guy and seem genuinely interested, in reality, they just want a chance to say, "you're wrong and I'm right...so there." You have all done a good job trying to answer a question to someone is really didn't want any answer other than, "YES." He wanted to try to prove his knowledge and worth over and above not only our denomination but others who ordain women.
This is a hot topic button for me. (I haven't posted on here in a long time). I remember one person on here years ago who used to berate me for "letting" my wife be a preacher (she's also an ordained elder). I told him she was called by God, not me, didn't need my permission...besides my female DS and my female Bishop seemed to think it was ok :)
Blessings. Keep the faith.

Reactions: Maid Marie
Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not taking anything personal. Perhaps men are more argumentative by nature, I dunno, maybe more prone to dissect doctrine with a scalpel than simply love and "praise God that Christ is preached" - more inclined to head-knowledge rather than matters of the heart; I marvel at and want my friend to show me the love-side; I'm sorry she moved away- though younger she is 'spiritually advanced in some ways' though not in Bible-knowledge and things like that.

Getting their masculinity back was a poor choice of words. We were talking about how most men worship with their head (or hands) and not their heart. We are trained that if we do anything with our heart, then we are not masculine so we shy away from that. But, then society tells us to "get in touch with our feminine side" to do things with our hearts.

I'm saying that we can be men and still do things with our hearts. We don't have to be feminized to love Jesus the way he loves us. Just look at the OT patriarchs. The men of the industrialized world need to embrace that model of manhood and not the artificial clock-punching guy with a to-do list a mile long.

Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
I remember as I was in the mentoring stage along the road towards ordained ministry. My mentor and his wife were both ordained elders in the UMC. I asked her, "Isn't it hard for you to be serving churches where men just don't respect your ordination because you are a woman." After some thought, she said, "you know, some people are just going to have to die before they ever get over it." I was taken aback a bit, but after a short time of reflection I got what she was saying. No amount of persuasion is ever going to change some people's minds. Even if they ask the questions like this guy and seem genuinely interested, in reality, they just want a chance to say, "you're wrong and I'm right...so there." You have all done a good job trying to answer a question to someone is really didn't want any answer other than, "YES." He wanted to try to prove his knowledge and worth over and above not only our denomination but others who ordain women.
This is a hot topic button for me. (I haven't posted on here in a long time). I remember one person on here years ago who used to berate me for "letting" my wife be a preacher (she's also an ordained elder). I told him she was called by God, not me, didn't need my permission...besides my female DS and my female Bishop seemed to think it was ok :)
Blessings. Keep the faith.

:amen:

Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
I guess i was not clear enough in what i said. I meant that there is less man willing to preach because they are not in touch with their leader side, which is why i referred to man losing masculinity.

On the other side, there is also the emotional bond that women have with God and man don't for the most part. But to me this is less a problem than to see man too emotional and losing their role as patriarch.

We need both sides to find balance in our faith.

I hope i am more clear. I'm francophone and my syntax might not always reflect what i mean.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I guess i was not clear enough in what i said. I meant that there is less man willing to preach because they are not in touch with their leader side, which is why i referred to man losing masculinity.

On the other side, there is also the emotional bond that women have with God and man don't for the most part. But to me this is less a problem than to see man too emotional and losing their role as patriarch.

From my own experience, what you say is true. When I was growing up, my Mother and Grandmother taught me about Jesus and the Bible while faith wasn't really talked about with the male members of my family. Not even with the actively Christian ones!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stone Butterfly

Aug 18, 2013
Godly spirit having a human experience
✟852.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I want BOTH, Bryan.

I don't wanna yield any of my head - reason - brain

but I want heart too

I want it ALL

So do I. But, we're not typical adult male churchgoers. The typical adult male is attending for the family. Serving because they're supposed to, and they usually serve in the business side of the church. They leave the prayer to the pros. Its just the Man Culture that we've grown into.

No one is saying that we cut our heads off. We just need to get the heart in gear and operating on the same level as the head. Don't read any more into it than that.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I see what you mean. The guy who preceded me as church council chairman was pure business. He was a good leader, but he never got into the spiritual side of the church. He led it like a small business.

When I took over a the end of his term, we were talking and I told him that I'd be making some big changes in council meetings because I'll let my committee chairs run the business side (Trustees, Finance, and SPRC) and I'm going focus the church council on discipleship and spirituality. He said, "Yeah, I always wanted to do that but I'm not good at that stuff."

We need to get better at that stuff!

Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
I see what you mean. The guy who preceded me as church council chairman was pure business. He was a good leader, but he never got into the spiritual side of the church. He led it like a small business.

When I took over a the end of his term, we were talking and I told him that I'd be making some big changes in council meetings because I'll let my committee chairs run the business side (Trustees, Finance, and SPRC) and I'm going focus the church council on discipleship and spirituality. He said, "Yeah, I always wanted to do that but I'm not good at that stuff."

We need to get better at that stuff!

Well let's pray and share the words so we can change things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.