Church Of The Nazarene - Do They Allow Women Pastors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
I believe what the Word of God clearly says. You are twisting it to fit your feminazi agenda.

i am against what you would quote as feminism. I am all about submitting to my husband.

but to say that times havent change is just not living in the same world.

We all want equal rights. That mean also a place in the church. The way men were seeing their women in that time was they were just meant to make kids and taking care of the house. None of them would be able to study.

Today, it is not the same at all.

I am sorry you see women being minister something wrong. But you are clearly on the wrong forum to have people accepting of your view.

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2013
✟15,829.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I believe what the Word of God clearly says. You are twisting it to fit your feminazi agenda.

I will continue to attend Churches that do not allow female clergy.

I believe you are twisting the scripture for your agenda :)

I see you want to become an RCC priest after divorce, me thinks your hang up is with any woman!

Reactions: Maid Marie
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I guess I will have to choose between the LCMS and the RCC then.
I am southern Baptist and we do not ( which is why I like likely end up leaving that church.) among other reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe you are twisting the scripture for your agenda :)

I see you want to become an RCC priest after divorce, me thinks your hang up is with any woman!

I'm not twisting scripture. God has spoken and what he has said I have posted and it is quite clear.

I never said that I want to become a RCC Priest; just that I am interested in what the qualifications are. Yes I am divorced and yes I am a confirmed Catholic. But no I don't have a hang up with women. I have been married and have had tons of girlfriends. So I have no problem with females. I just don't believe that women should be clergy. I think that scripture clearly defines that this is not their role.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1 Corinthians 14:34-35
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2:11-15
Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Epistles are letters written to a specific audience with a specific purpose, often to address a shortcoming in a local church or regional group of churches. Using parts of an epistle to prove a point that was not intended by the original author in the context of that letter is bad hermaneutics.

Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Epistles are letters written to a specific audience with a specific purpose, often to address a shortcoming in a local church or regional group of churches. Using parts of an epistle to prove a point that was not intended by the original author in the context of that letter is bad hermaneutics.

The passages are pretty clear regardless of your fancy hermaneutics.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I doubt John Wesley ordained or licensed women to preach. Can you provide some links that prove this.

From Wikipedia (Ordination of women in the United Methodist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):
John Wesley, the credited founder of the Methodist movement, was the first within his movement to authorize a woman to preach. In 1761, he granted a License to Preach to Sarah Crosby.[2] Later, Wesley also licensed other women as preachers, including Grace Murray, Sarah Taft, Hannah Ball and Elizabeth Ritchie. One of the youngest ordained women, Mary Fletcher, began preaching at age 16, and at age 21 was thrown out of her parent's home because of her faith.

Wiki's citations are on the site.

Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From Wikipedia (Ordination of women in the United Methodist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia):
John Wesley, the credited founder of the Methodist movement, was the first within his movement to authorize a woman to preach. In 1761, he granted a License to Preach to Sarah Crosby.[2] Later, Wesley also licensed other women as preachers, including Grace Murray, Sarah Taft, Hannah Ball and Elizabeth Ritchie. One of the youngest ordained women, Mary Fletcher, began preaching at age 16, and at age 21 was thrown out of her parent's home because of her faith.

Wiki's citations are on the site.

Well then. I have lost respect for John Wesley and his ministry. I won't be attending a Wesleyan Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The passages are pretty clear regardless of your fancy hermaneutics.

They aren't "fancy". They are just good scholarship. Take this example: you write a steamy letter to your girlfriend. Now, let someone take your expression of love from that letter and add it to a letter to your mother. Would the reference be appropriate? In both cases, you are writing to a woman you love, but the intentions and expressions of that love are (hopefully) very different! Epistles are no different.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well then. I have lost respect for John Wesley and his ministry. I won't be attending a Wesleyan Church.
I will say this, preaching and being a pastor are different. There are plenty of women in the New Testament who did spread the gospel, even if it was not as the pastor of the church.

Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
:mmh:

aheum.. wow. can't believe this.

some people just read what they want. thats the big problem with religion. its all about how people perceive things that will fit within their beliefs.

clearly, who are we to judge and decide what the person who wrote really mean to say. lots of things in the bible were meant for that time period. I believe religions should evolved with his people. otherwise, its like trusting the brain of people who have no idea of what is happening today.

I wonder how respectful a person can be if this said person believe literally and straight a book full of metaphor and parables.

:nowords:

Upvote 0

Maryseblossom

Aug 8, 2013
montreal
✟15,220.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-NDP
They aren't "fancy". They are just good scholarship. Take this example: you write a steamy letter to your girlfriend. Now, let someone take your expression of love from that letter and add it to a letter to your mother. Would the reference be appropriate? In both cases, you are writing to a woman you love, but the intentions and expressions of that love are (hopefully) very different! Epistles are no different.

Amen. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What Paul said is pretty clear. A 5th grader could understand it.

You don't need a bible college degree or hermaneutics to rightly divide what is clearly written in those passages.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will say this, preaching and being a pastor are different. There are plenty of women in the New Testament who did spread the gospel, even if it was not as the pastor of the church.

That's a good point. I wonder if Wesley ordained women to preach to men as in the office of a Pastor. I have no problem if women preach to other women. From reading the Wiki page it does appear that he ordained them to preach to men.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's a good point. I wonder if Wesley ordained women to preach to men as in the office of a Pastor. I have no problem if women preach to other women.
I have no problem if they preach at all because let me tell you where your logic leads and I am NOT trying to be rude, but by your logic of saying I cannot preach to a man say I saw a clearly drunk man on the street by your logic I could not share the gospel with him. By your logic if I went to a homeless shelter where both men and women were there I could not give the message.

Upvote 0

snumerouno

Aug 18, 2013
✟417.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no problem if they preach at all because let me tell you where your logic leads and I am NOT trying to be rude, but by your logic of saying I cannot preach to a man say I saw a clearly drunk man on the street by your logic I could not share the gospel with him. By your logic if I went to a homeless shelter where both men and women were there I could not give the message.

Women are not to teach or preach to men. It's not their role. That's what the scripture says and I stand by it.

A women should not be talking with a drunk man on the street.

Upvote 0

americanvet

Saved Sinner
Jun 15, 2012
The White Couch of Pristinia
✟20,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
House Rules-
All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules found here (Community Rules). In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the established teachings of this group will be considered off topic.

source: http://www.christianforums.com/t7396067/

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Women are not to teach or preach to men. It's not their role. That's what the scripture says and I stand by it.

A women should not be talking with a drunk man.
Women have just as much stake in the great commission as men do. Matter of a fact, sometimes it is better say in a Sunday School class that is designed for married people or even younger people ( say college age to be taught by BOTH say like a married couple to get input from both a man a woman. When I was at a Bible college which I dropped out of for personal reasons, but anyway when I was there. NOT only was a preaching class REQUIRED of all in the Christian Ministry major to graduate, but also one semester I did my practicum at a place where they fed and witnessed to the homeless. Not really a shelter because they did not sleep there, but we were asks no matter what OUR gender to talk to the homeless people there ( which may or may not turn to the gospel) PT( the dean if the school and the upper devision practicum leader and/or doctor L the lower devistion practicum did not say if you are a woman only talk to the women if you are a man talk to the men. Matter of a fact, I am pretty sure that if we had done that and it had gotten back to them they may have had something to say to us.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.