Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
really? ive never seen one that didnt. Also Samson is explained in the OT he was not under normal circumstances as the rest of the Bible shows, John the baptist had long hair I've read the NT more then once and take notes never seen this?

FYI this is called "special pleading", where once case is judged differently than another without clear reason.

I never said Jesus isn't shown with long hair. My point is that his long hair is not interpreted as women's hair. I think most people realize these pictures don't perfectly conform to history. When a six-year-old Caucasian boy plays Jesus in the church play, I don't see people leaping up with outrage and claiming it's an attempt to represent Jesus' teachings as childish. They understand the context.

Same here. There are legitimate reasons why Jesus may not be physically portrayed in ways that conform to history.

[edit] Though you say physical appearance doesn't matter to you, your comments here indicate otherwise, which is not a surprise given the expression of your iconoclastic views.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was born, raised, lived and died a practicing Jew. Like virtually every adult male in Judea and Galilee, I am certain that Jesus had long hair and a beard. The only exception would be the Roman military and perhaps a very few thoroughly Hellenized Jews. However within a century of the crucifixion the early Jewish Christian church had faded into unimportance and Christianity had become a Greek speaking Gentile movement in which most men wore their hair cut short. What we are looking at here are cultural norms and not anything theological in nature.

• Agree
Reactions: jamiec
Upvote 0

Gregory95

You will know them by their fruits
Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FYI this is called "special pleading", where once case is judged differently than another without clear reason.

I never said Jesus isn't shown with long hair. My point is that his long hair is not interpreted as women's hair. I think most people realize these pictures don't perfectly conform to history. When a six-year-old Caucasian boy plays Jesus in the church play, I don't see people leaping up with outrage and claiming it's an attempt to represent Jesus' teachings as childish. They understand the context.

Same here. There are legitimate reasons why Jesus may not be physically portrayed in ways that conform to history.

[edit] Though you say physical appearance doesn't matter to you, your comments here indicate otherwise, which is not a surprise given the expression of your iconoclastic views.
My friend a play is different , you know that's different then making a picture and saying this is Christ.
If you read what I said you would understand what I was saying. :)

Ask a Jewish person if long hair is acceptable.
Then there is this

1 Corinthians 11:14 King James Version (KJV)

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

He was talking to Gentiles who lived in the Greek city of Corinth. It was their culture to wear short hair.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He was talking to Gentiles who lived in the Greek city of Corinth. It was their culture to wear short hair.
Ezikial 44:20
Neither shall they shave their heads, nor suffer their locks to grow long; they shall only poll their heads

It was common custom throughout the Roman Empire in the first century for men to have their hair short. They followed the examples of the Caesars of Rome who always wore short hair. As far as males were concerned, Paul demanded that they keep their hair short. Indeed, even with the Greeks it was customary for men to wear their hair short except, as the Jews, for short periods of mourning. Charles Goodwin of Pusan, Korea supplied me with this quotation from the Loeb edition of Plutarch’s Moralia on The Roman Questions 267B. “In Greece, whenever any misfortune comes, the women cut off their hair and the men let it grow, for it is usual for men to have their hair cut and for women to let it grow” Paul reminded his Greek readers in Corinth of this custom which he called the way of nature [instinct] among the Greeks. So, both Jewish and Greek men normally wore their hair short.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My friend a play is different , you know that's different then making a picture and saying this is Christ.

You're ascribing a motivation that doesn't exist, so no, they don't have to be different. That same little kid who was Jesus in the play would probably draw a picture of a Caucasian Jesus, and the African kid will draw an African Jesus, and the Asian kid will draw an Asian Jesus.

Never are they claiming, "This IS Jesus." Even little kids get that.

Quote the whole passage. 1 Corinthians 11:16: If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
2. They almost always promote Him with hair of a woman

No picture of Christ shows the hair of a woman. It is shown much shorter than women's hair was.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 11 King James Version (KJV)

11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

17 Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.

18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're ascribing a motivation that doesn't exist, so no, they don't have to be different. That same little kid who was Jesus in the play would probably draw a picture of a Caucasian Jesus, and the African kid will draw an African Jesus, and the Asian kid will draw an Asian Jesus.

Never are they claiming, "This IS Jesus." Even little kids get that.

Quote the whole passage. 1 Corinthians 11:16: If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.

1 Corinthians 11 King James Version (KJV)

11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

17 Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.

18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

33 Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So we should allow anything ? To avoid being contentious? If its this simple why can't ANY pastor I've asked about this just tell me this instead I always get the run around with no Scripture
. Biblical proof is all I ask

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Manly hair not woman's?

Attachments

• images(19).jpg
    images(19).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So we should allow anything ? To avoid being contentious? If its this simple why can't ANY pastor I've asked about this just tell me this instead I always get the run around with no Scripture
. Biblical proof is all I ask

You already have been given scripture. Paul states "we have no such custom, neither the churches of God" so you cannot claim Paul demanded these things about people's hair.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Manly hair not woman's?

There are religions where women have long hair and it is at least twice as long as this. This would not be considered long hair for a man and certainly not the length of a woman's hair.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You already have been given scripture. Paul states "we have no such custom, neither the churches of God" so you cannot claim Paul demanded these things about people's hair.
So ignore everything above verse 16?

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are religions where women have long hair and it is at least twice as long as this. This would not be considered long hair for a man and certainly not the length of a woman's hair.
We are not talking about other religions. Look just talk to a Jewish leader go to ask a rabbi .com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We are not talking about other religions. Look just talk to a Jewish leader go to ask a rabbi .com

I'm talking about Christian groups that have women who have long hair.

Upvote 0

Gregory95

Jan 15, 2019
missouri
✟37,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read, the verse your referring to has nothinf to do with the covering uncovering. This is why people need to study to get context.

Attachments

• 20190201_225850.jpg
    20190201_225850.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190201_230003.jpg
    20190201_230003.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190201_230401_Burst01.jpg
    20190201_230401_Burst01.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190201_230429.jpg
    20190201_230429.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ezikial 44:20
Neither shall they shave their heads, nor suffer their locks to grow long; they shall only poll their heads
Septuagint says the following:

And they shall not shave their heads, nor shall they pluck off their hair; they shall carefully cover their heads.​

Upvote 0