Christopher Columbus Should Be Replaced!

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Historically, Columbus was the last of the great explorers who landed their ship on New World soil and claimed it for someone or other.

Leif Erikson was not the first to "discover" America either. Rather, his journey in the 10th century led to a lot of Nordic people eventually coming here. However, there is one voyager showed up here in America itself in the 6th century, 400 years before Leif Erikson, and almost 1000 years before Columbus.

In the sixth century, Ireland’s St. Brendan embarked on a legendary voyage that some believe took him to North America nearly 500 years before the Vikings and 1,000 years before Christopher Columbus. Is there any truth in the theory or is it just a bunch of blarney?

Fifty years after the death of St. Patrick on March 17, 461 A.D., another Celtic saint continued the work of converting pagan Ireland to Christianity. Born near Tralee in County Kerry in 484 A.D., St. Brendan the Navigator traveled tirelessly to evangelize and establish monasteries following his ordination to the priesthood at age 28. The sixth-century monk frequently sailed the high seas to spread the gospel throughout Ireland as well as to Scotland, Wales and Brittany in the north of France.

According to a 1,500-year-old Irish tale, however, St. Brendan embarked on one particularly epic journey in the winter of his 93-year-old life. According to the story, St. Barinthus told St. Brendan that he had just returned from a visit to Paradise, a land that lurked far beyond the horizon. For 40 days St. Brendan fasted and prayed atop a mountain on the rugged Dingle Peninsula, a spindly finger of land on the west of Ireland that points directly at North America. The octogenarian squinted out at the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean in wonder of what was out there before deciding to go in pursuit of the fabled Garden of Eden.

St. Brendan crafted a traditional Irish round-bottom boat, shaped like a canoe and called a currach, with square sails and leather skins stitched together to create a watertight seal over the vessel’s wooden skeleton. Along with a crew of anywhere between 18 and 150 according to the differing accounts, the saint sailed off into the cobalt ocean. As the fragile craft beat against the waves, St. Brendan encountered towering crystal pillars afloat in the oceans, sheep the size of oxen, giants who pelted the ship with fireballs the smelled like rotten eggs and talking birds singing psalms. Finally, as the boat drifted through a fog, it landed at what the Irishmen thought was Paradise, a land lush with vegetation, fragrant with flowers and abounding in fruit and colorful stones. After staying for 40 days, an angel told the men to return home. When St. Brendan came back to the Emerald Isle after the seven-year voyage, pilgrims who heard the sensational story flocked to his side in remote County Kerry until he died around 577 A.D.

Much like with St. Patrick, the line between the history and legend surrounding St. Brendan has been blurred. The account of his voyage passed from lip to lip for generations until a ninth-century Irish monk finally put it to paper in a Latin text entitled “Navigatio Sancti Brendani” (“The Voyage of St. Brendan”). The book was among the biggest page-turners of the Middle Ages and became so widely known that cartographers began to include Paradise, recorded as “St. Brendan’s Island,” on maps. Christopher Columbus was aware of the elusive island—which was drawn everywhere from the southwest of Ireland to near the Canary Islands off the African coast—as he embarked on his own voyage across the Atlantic in 1492.

Most scholars consider “The Voyage of St. Brendan” to simply be a religious allegory, but some believe that the tale was based on an actual voyage, albeit with some Irish embellishment. When Columbus and succeeding explorers failed to find the mythical island drawn on their maps, a new theory arose that perhaps St. Brendan and his crew had actually sailed clear across the Atlantic and that Paradise was in fact North America. Proponents pointed to Scandinavian sagas that mentioned that the Irish had already visited North America by the time the Vikings landed there around 1000 A.D. The Vikings referred to the lands south of their settlement in Vinland as “Irland it Mikla,” or “Greater Ireland.”

In addition, the fantastical sights encountered by St. Brendan, although exaggerated, could be matched to actual stopovers between Ireland and North America on a similar North Atlantic route taken by the Vikings. The crystal pillars could be icebergs, the Faroe Islands are home to large sheep and a chorus of squawking birds and the foul-smelling fireballs could correlate to the sulfuric dioxide spewed by Iceland’s volcanoes, minus the giants.

But would a trans-Atlantic voyage have even been possible in the sixth century? In 1976, modern-day adventurer Tim Severin attempted to answer the question. Based on the description of the currach in the text, he crafted an identical vessel and cast off from the Dingle Peninsula with four fellow explorers in the shadow of the same mountain where St. Brendan had been enraptured in prayer prior to his voyage (now named Mount Brandon in the saint’s honor). Following the prevailing winds across the northernmost part of the Atlantic Ocean, they crossed it using landing points such as the Aran Islands, the Hebrides, the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland as stepping stones before arriving in Newfoundland.

While Severin proved that a trans-Atlantic voyage was possible during St. Brendan’s day, no archaeological evidence of an Irish settlement in North America before the Vikings has ever been unearthed. Nor would discovery of such artifacts prove that St. Brendan was the first Irishman in North America. After all, in the tale itself, St. Barinthus had first set foot in the distant land.

Everything described in “The Voyage of St. Brendan” could be complete blarney, but for centuries numerous scholars also discounted the Vikings sagas of their voyages to the New World as legends. That all changed with the discovery of a Viking settlement on the northernmost tip of Newfoundland in 1960, and Irish eyes would be smiling if any artifacts connected to St. Brendan are ever found in North America.

First, a few links:
http://www.history.com/news/did-an-irish-monk-discover-america
https://voices.nationalgeographic.o...h-north-america-500-years-before-the-vikings/
https://www.amazon.com/Voyage-St-Br...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6HTKYE7W7X6JWDSXRJHF
https://www.amazon.com/Brendan-Voya...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6HTKYE7W7X6JWDSXRJHF

There is plenty of evidence that shows that an Irish Christian did indeed come to ground in America, and was able to get to Wyoming County of West Virginia, where he made stone carvings with a Christian message. The ONLY Irish Christian that has a record of doing this is St. Brendan of Clonfort. Read through the links I have given you, and you will see that the runes are there. My monastic Superior, Fr. Basil, has actually been to the place in West Virginia, and has seen and touched the carvings. A priest of an Orthodox Church in West Virginia has also been there. I trust both men with my life.

More Links:
https://cwva.org/wwvrunes/graphics/3-img-m-1.gif
https://cwva.org/wwvrunes/graphics/3-img-m-3.gif
https://cwva.org/wwvrunes/graphics/3-img-m-4.gif

There is much more available on the internet, Search "St. Brendan and America" or "St. Brendan and Petroglyphs"

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Fifty years after the death of St. Patrick on March 17, 461 A.D., another Celtic saint continued the work of converting pagan Ireland to Christianity
Why !? During Patrick's life in Ireland, it was [or seemed to be] much more true to Christ Jesus than it was later after others took over/ got control ......

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why !? During Patrick's life in Ireland, it was [or seemed to be] much more true to Christ Jesus than it was later after others took over/ got control ......

Jeff, forgive me, but you seem to have so much hatred in your heart for Catholics, so just ignore me, please!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
All I am trying to point out is the St. Brendan is more likely the discoverer (to Europe) of America than Columbus.

Actually, it's unlikely. It's possible some Irish seafarer reached the Americas, but it's doubtful the historical evidence exists to pinpoint the specific person. Some versions of the tale name a St. Barinthus who supposedly preceded Brendan.

Even then, arguing over who got there first misses the historic significance of Columbus' voyage.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The evidence for such an early Irish voyage to the Americas is close to nil; it's certainly a fantastic thought and I would certainly like it to be true, as a person of Irish heritage and very proud of that fact. I just don't think it has any serious credibility. European contact with the Americas can be traced back to Norse voyages, however, and that is itself pretty sufficient to displace Columbus.

At the end of the day, however, we don't even have to replace Columbus with anyone--I would be quite content to completely do away with Columbus Day in America on Columbus' "merit" alone as one of the most vile figures of history who ever lived. Celebrating Christopher Columbus is madness.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would be quite content to completely do away with Columbus Day in America ...

There are probably few people who would miss it one way or the other. In a sense that's sad, but at the same time I don't see a lot of what the U.S. has become that I think is worth saving.

... Columbus' "merit" alone as one of the most vile figures of history who ever lived. Celebrating Christopher Columbus is madness.

That's a gross exaggeration. Some of the things Columbus did were ugly, but in terms of his direct actions they're pretty small when compared to the other monsters history has to offer. Much of what he is blamed for is a symbolic mantle of humanity's general cruelty rather than his specific intent or actions ... a residue of the reactionary history that began in the 1960s and generated a bunch of hand wringing over "western guilt".

If the same methods were applied equally, we wouldn't celebrate a single leader from any culture, neither European nor Native American, neither Catholic nor Lutheran. While we need to acknowledge the faults of historical persons, we also need to acknowledge what they accomplished rather than throwing it away.

If you want a more current and balanced look at the place of the 15th/16th century explorers like Columbus, I would recommend something like Thomas Bender's A Nation Among Nations. It manages to explain their historical significance without resorting to American exceptionalism and the like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,630.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The evidence for such an early Irish voyage to the Americas is close to nil; it's certainly a fantastic thought and I would certainly like it to be true, as a person of Irish heritage and very proud of that fact. I just don't think it has any serious credibility. European contact with the Americas can be traced back to Norse voyages, however, and that is itself pretty sufficient to displace Columbus.

At the end of the day, however, we don't even have to replace Columbus with anyone--I would be quite content to completely do away with Columbus Day in America on Columbus' "merit" alone as one of the most vile figures of history who ever lived. Celebrating Christopher Columbus is madness.

-CryptoLutheran

You beat me to it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are probably few people who would miss it one way or the other. In a sense that's sad, but at the same time I don't see a lot of what the U.S. has become that I think is worth saving.

That's a gross exaggeration. Some of the things Columbus did were ugly, but in terms of his direct actions they're pretty small when compared to the other monsters history has to offer. Much of what he is blamed for is a symbolic mantle of humanity's general cruelty rather than his specific intent or actions ... a residue of the reactionary history that began in the 1960s and generated a bunch of hand wringing over "western guilt".

If the same methods were applied equally, we wouldn't celebrate a single leader from any culture, neither European nor Native American, neither Catholic nor Lutheran. While we need to acknowledge the faults of historical persons, we also need to acknowledge what they accomplished rather than throwing it away.

If you want a more current and balanced look at the place of the 15th/16th century explorers like Columbus, I would recommend something like Thomas Bender's A Nation Among Nations. It manages to explain their historical significance without resorting to American exceptionalism and the like.

I don't think such equivocating makes sense. Columbus, even by the standards of his own time, was notoriously vile. On his return from his third voyage Columbus was imprisoned for gross misgovernance--while he was only imprisoned for six weeks before the king freed him, he was never permitted to ever govern again.

"By this time, accusations of tyranny and incompetence on the part of Columbus had also reached the Court. Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand responded by removing Columbus from power and replacing him with Francisco de Bobadilla, a member of the Order of Calatrava. Bobadilla, who ruled as governor from 1500 until his death in a storm in 1502, had also been tasked by the Court with investigating the accusations of brutality made against Columbus. Arriving in Santo Domingo while Columbus was away in the explorations of his third voyage, Bobadilla was immediately met with complaints about all three Columbus brothers: Christopher, Bartolomeo, and Diego. Bobadilla reported to Spain that Columbus regularly used torture and mutilation to govern Hispaniola. The 48-page report, found in 2006 in the national archive in the Spanish city of Simancas, contains testimonies from 23 people, including both enemies and supporters of Columbus, about the treatment of colonial subjects by Columbus and his brothers during his seven-year rule.[84]

According to the report, Columbus once punished a man found guilty of stealing corn by having his ears and nose cut off and then selling him into slavery. Testimony recorded in the report stated that Columbus congratulated his brother Bartolomeo on "defending the family" when the latter ordered a woman paraded naked through the streets and then had her tongue cut out for suggesting that Columbus was of lowly birth.[84] The document also describes how Columbus put down native unrest and revolt; he first ordered a brutal crackdown in which many natives were killed and then paraded their dismembered bodies through the streets in an attempt to discourage further rebellion.[85] "Columbus's government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the document, told journalists.[84] "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place."[84]

Because of their gross misgovernance, Columbus and his brothers were arrested and imprisoned upon their return to Spain from the third voyage. They lingered in jail for six weeks before King Ferdinand ordered their release. Not long after, the king and queen summoned the Columbus brothers to the Alhambra palace in Granada. There, the royal couple heard the brothers' pleas; restored their freedom and wealth; and, after much persuasion, agreed to fund Columbus's fourth voyage. But the door was firmly shut on Columbus's role as governor. Henceforth Nicolás de Ovando y Cáceres was to be the new governor of the West Indies.
" - Christopher Columbus - Wikipedia

We're not talking about simply judging an historical person by modern standards; by the standards of any civilized society from virtually any time in history what Columbus did was horrific, tyrannical, and evil.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think such equivocating makes sense. Columbus, even by the standards of his own time, was notoriously vile. On his return from his third voyage Columbus was imprisoned for gross misgovernance--while he was only imprisoned for six weeks before the king freed him, he was never permitted to ever govern again.

And we all know how even-handed the Spanish courts were. Cortes, who was ten ... a hundred times worse than Columbus was celebrated as a Spanish hero. Luther was reviled as a Satanist in Spain. Politics had much to do with who was punished and who was celebrated, so that's not much of an argument.

I never said Columbus didn't do anything wrong. But to rank him as "one of the most vile figures of history who ever lived" is just ridiculous. Worse than all the Khans, Tamerlane, Vlad the Impaler, the Assyrians, the Ottomans, Stalin, the Rape of Nanking, Pol Pot, etc. etc.

To claim it was worse than what the Native Americans were doing to each other ... Oy.

Humanity is rife with examples of cruelty and sin. If we refuse to see what happened in history because people sinned ... well, then there's just no point in history at all.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
And we all know how even-handed the Spanish courts were. Cortes, who was ten ... a hundred times worse than Columbus was celebrated as a Spanish hero. Luther was reviled as a Satanist in Spain. Politics had much to do with who was punished and who was celebrated, so that's not much of an argument.

I never said Columbus didn't do anything wrong. But to rank him as "one of the most vile figures of history who ever lived" is just ridiculous. Worse than all the Khans, Tamerlane, Vlad the Impaler, the Assyrians, the Ottomans, Stalin, the Rape of Nanking, Pol Pot, etc. etc.

To claim it was worse than what the Native Americans were doing to each other ... Oy.

Humanity is rife with examples of cruelty and sin. If we refuse to see what happened in history because people sinned ... well, then there's just no point in history at all.

I'm not saying Columbus is worse than, say, Vlad the Impaler or other historical villains. But then I don't think that we should be celebrating Stalin, Vlad the Impaler, Hirohito, or Pol Pot either.

The point isn't "Columbus is worse than everyone"--that's not what I said. The point is Columbus was awful, and we shouldn't be celebrating and honoring him.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying Columbus is worse than, say, Vlad the Impaler or other historical villains. But then I don't think that we should be celebrating Stalin, Vlad the Impaler, Hirohito, or Pol Pot either.

My point is that the crimes of which he was convicted are not what we're celebrating, and they occurred after the events that are typically celebrated. [edit] What I find humorous is that his apologists note he was in ill health during his supposed tyranny - the same excuse some use for Luther's antisemitic comments. Are you saying there is nothing about finding the Americas that is worth noting? If it is worth noting, and someone asks exactly how it happened, are you going to drop into a hushed voice and say, "Well, we don't talk about that."

Your villain is someone else's hero. Who would you celebrate?

Did you know the same school of history that tore down Columbus also reviles the Founding Fathers, Lincoln, etc. The motives of many of the FFs weren't exactly pure, and Lincoln held some rather uncomfortable beliefs about African Americans. So, if we're going to remove Columbus Day we also need to remove the 4th of July, President's Day (we celebrate Lincoln's B'Day instead here in Illinois), Thanksgiving (the Puritans did some nasty things) ... well, practically every holiday.

Let's talk something we have in common - David. The LCMS commemorates him on Dec 29th, but he did some bad things. By the end of his reign he was pretty worthless as a king. Why do we commemorate such a failure?

• Agree
Reactions: Babe Ruth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My opinion, the contemporary demonization of, and effort to displace, Columbus is petty and ill-conceived.
His voyages established the European globalization.. That's why his voyages are more historically relevant to the development of America/modern world. His voyages were coordinated & expanded up.. not brief, or incidental contacts w/a New World. His daring voyages created new opportunities & escape route for both the persecuted & adventurous of the Old World.
Sailing across the Atlantic, was similar to heading out in to space (without ground support) for that era.
Modern cultural-Marxists don't appreciate the courage Columbus had, or Columbus' opening of human mobility & evangelism. Often they blame Columbus solely for conflicts that happened in Columbus' absence, (between natives & colonists). When u read Columbus' first voyage journal, evangelizing was foremost in Columbus' heart & mind, & he instructed respect for their Taino hosts .
I'm not suggesting we overlook previous explorers, or the eventual sins of colonization, but in context no voyages compare to the significance of Columbus' first trip.. I'll never diminish (or suggest we 'replace') it.
Peace

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Historically, Columbus was the last of the great explorers who landed their ship on New World soil and claimed it for someone or other.

Leif Erikson was not the first to "discover" America either. Rather, his journey in the 10th century led to a lot of Nordic people eventually coming here. However, there is one voyager showed up here in America itself in the 6th century, 400 years before Leif Erikson, and almost 1000 years before Columbus.

In the sixth century, Ireland’s St. Brendan embarked on a legendary voyage that some believe took him to North America nearly 500 years before the Vikings and 1,000 years before Christopher Columbus. Is there any truth in the theory or is it just a bunch of blarney?

Fifty years after the death of St. Patrick on March 17, 461 A.D., another Celtic saint continued the work of converting pagan Ireland to Christianity. Born near Tralee in County Kerry in 484 A.D., St. Brendan the Navigator traveled tirelessly to evangelize and establish monasteries following his ordination to the priesthood at age 28. The sixth-century monk frequently sailed the high seas to spread the gospel throughout Ireland as well as to Scotland, Wales and Brittany in the north of France.

According to a 1,500-year-old Irish tale, however, St. Brendan embarked on one particularly epic journey in the winter of his 93-year-old life. According to the story, St. Barinthus told St. Brendan that he had just returned from a visit to Paradise, a land that lurked far beyond the horizon. For 40 days St. Brendan fasted and prayed atop a mountain on the rugged Dingle Peninsula, a spindly finger of land on the west of Ireland that points directly at North America. The octogenarian squinted out at the crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean in wonder of what was out there before deciding to go in pursuit of the fabled Garden of Eden.

St. Brendan crafted a traditional Irish round-bottom boat, shaped like a canoe and called a currach, with square sails and leather skins stitched together to create a watertight seal over the vessel’s wooden skeleton. Along with a crew of anywhere between 18 and 150 according to the differing accounts, the saint sailed off into the cobalt ocean. As the fragile craft beat against the waves, St. Brendan encountered towering crystal pillars afloat in the oceans, sheep the size of oxen, giants who pelted the ship with fireballs the smelled like rotten eggs and talking birds singing psalms. Finally, as the boat drifted through a fog, it landed at what the Irishmen thought was Paradise, a land lush with vegetation, fragrant with flowers and abounding in fruit and colorful stones. After staying for 40 days, an angel told the men to return home. When St. Brendan came back to the Emerald Isle after the seven-year voyage, pilgrims who heard the sensational story flocked to his side in remote County Kerry until he died around 577 A.D.

Much like with St. Patrick, the line between the history and legend surrounding St. Brendan has been blurred. The account of his voyage passed from lip to lip for generations until a ninth-century Irish monk finally put it to paper in a Latin text entitled “Navigatio Sancti Brendani” (“The Voyage of St. Brendan”). The book was among the biggest page-turners of the Middle Ages and became so widely known that cartographers began to include Paradise, recorded as “St. Brendan’s Island,” on maps. Christopher Columbus was aware of the elusive island—which was drawn everywhere from the southwest of Ireland to near the Canary Islands off the African coast—as he embarked on his own voyage across the Atlantic in 1492.

Most scholars consider “The Voyage of St. Brendan” to simply be a religious allegory, but some believe that the tale was based on an actual voyage, albeit with some Irish embellishment. When Columbus and succeeding explorers failed to find the mythical island drawn on their maps, a new theory arose that perhaps St. Brendan and his crew had actually sailed clear across the Atlantic and that Paradise was in fact North America. Proponents pointed to Scandinavian sagas that mentioned that the Irish had already visited North America by the time the Vikings landed there around 1000 A.D. The Vikings referred to the lands south of their settlement in Vinland as “Irland it Mikla,” or “Greater Ireland.”

In addition, the fantastical sights encountered by St. Brendan, although exaggerated, could be matched to actual stopovers between Ireland and North America on a similar North Atlantic route taken by the Vikings. The crystal pillars could be icebergs, the Faroe Islands are home to large sheep and a chorus of squawking birds and the foul-smelling fireballs could correlate to the sulfuric dioxide spewed by Iceland’s volcanoes, minus the giants.

But would a trans-Atlantic voyage have even been possible in the sixth century? In 1976, modern-day adventurer Tim Severin attempted to answer the question. Based on the description of the currach in the text, he crafted an identical vessel and cast off from the Dingle Peninsula with four fellow explorers in the shadow of the same mountain where St. Brendan had been enraptured in prayer prior to his voyage (now named Mount Brandon in the saint’s honor). Following the prevailing winds across the northernmost part of the Atlantic Ocean, they crossed it using landing points such as the Aran Islands, the Hebrides, the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland as stepping stones before arriving in Newfoundland.

While Severin proved that a trans-Atlantic voyage was possible during St. Brendan’s day, no archaeological evidence of an Irish settlement in North America before the Vikings has ever been unearthed. Nor would discovery of such artifacts prove that St. Brendan was the first Irishman in North America. After all, in the tale itself, St. Barinthus had first set foot in the distant land.

Everything described in “The Voyage of St. Brendan” could be complete blarney, but for centuries numerous scholars also discounted the Vikings sagas of their voyages to the New World as legends. That all changed with the discovery of a Viking settlement on the northernmost tip of Newfoundland in 1960, and Irish eyes would be smiling if any artifacts connected to St. Brendan are ever found in North America.

First, a few links:
Did an Irish Monk “Discover” America?
https://voices.nationalgeographic.o...h-north-america-500-years-before-the-vikings/
https://www.amazon.com/Voyage-St-Br...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6HTKYE7W7X6JWDSXRJHF
https://www.amazon.com/Brendan-Voya...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6HTKYE7W7X6JWDSXRJHF

There is plenty of evidence that shows that an Irish Christian did indeed come to ground in America, and was able to get to Wyoming County of West Virginia, where he made stone carvings with a Christian message. The ONLY Irish Christian that has a record of doing this is St. Brendan of Clonfort. Read through the links I have given you, and you will see that the runes are there. My monastic Superior, Fr. Basil, has actually been to the place in West Virginia, and has seen and touched the carvings. A priest of an Orthodox Church in West Virginia has also been there. I trust both men with my life.

More Links:
https://cwva.org/wwvrunes/graphics/3-img-m-1.gif
https://cwva.org/wwvrunes/graphics/3-img-m-3.gif
https://cwva.org/wwvrunes/graphics/3-img-m-4.gif

There is much more available on the internet, Search "St. Brendan and America" or "St. Brendan and Petroglyphs"
The album 'Beyond These Shores' by the Irish/Celtic progressive rock band Iona is heavily thematic on the Voyage of St Brendan. I love the album, the stories and the band.

One of the tracks.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
In the past few months I read how Columbus really was. He really was a dark character, even by the standards of the time. The King and Queen of Spain even weren't so cool with some things he did. He sounds more like a Reneissance profiteer and adventurer than the sort of myths we had as a kid. I guess its part of American mythmaking of a certain period.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
but at the same time I don't see a lot of what the U.S. has become that I think is worth saving.
Seeing more and more exposed of how many people were(and are today) slaughtered for greedy acquisition, all through the history even with Columbus,
was there ever truthfully anything ?

Upvote 0