Christians owning guns specifically for self defense? (Biblical references, insight?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm...so you refuse to wear mixed fabrics, do yard work on Saturday, eat a cheese burger or lobster? All of which were offenses in the Bible. :wave:
tulc(is just wondering) :)
I don't wear mixed fabrics, I don't work on Saturday, I would eat a cheese burger because you are now quoting Rabbinic interpretation not Scripture, I don't eat lobster or anything else unclean... we keep the Feasts as best we can living in the nations under secular rule and here is the best part... NONE OF THAT unto salvation, which is what your next post would suggest or infer. We are saved by faith ALONE and the saved are expected to obey their Father. I am doing it as I understand, you do it as you understand and that is enough until we are perfected and we learn that we were BOTH wrong about a great number of things!

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did the gun do this on its own?

(asking for a friend) :wave:
So...that would be a "no, I can't give an example of someone going into a church and killing 26 people with a lock on a door."?

Coffee?

th_coffee_pouring.gif
always my sister! :hug:
tulc(has always loved brinny) :oldthumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
So...that would be a "no, I can't give an example of someone going into a church and killing 26 people with a lock on a door."?

always my sister! :hug:
tulc(has always loved brinny) :oldthumbsup:

LOL! Nice dodge, but funny....therefore i forgive you.

^_^

• Winner
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't wear mixed fabrics, I don't work on Saturday, I would eat a cheese burger because you are now quoting Rabbinic interpretation not Scripture, I don't eat lobster or anything else unclean... we keep the Feasts as best we can living in the nations under secular rule and here is the best part... NONE OF THAT unto salvation, which is what your next post would suggest or infer. We are saved by faith ALONE and the saved are expected to obey their Father. I am doing it as I understand, you do it as you understand and that is enough until we are perfected and we learn that we were BOTH wrong about a great number of things!
Did you check your labels? I'd have too to know for sure about the mixed fabrics. Actually I have no problems with the things I listed, you're the one who seems to want us to live under the Law, not me. I also have to say: I always assume I'm wrong about a lot of things, I tend though to do the best I can and trust the Lord to correct me when I need it. That being said I treat pretty much everyone I meet the same way: sometime they'll be right sometimes wrong. I have no problem discussing things with others but you'll never (as much as I can anyway) hear me say "If you believe this you aren't saved!" because I learned early in my walk those judgements are way above my pay grade. It tends to make me a...less then fiery evangelical but I'm a lot more fun neighbor/helper to the people around me. :)
and not to be too pedantic:
which is what your next post would suggest or infer
in the above the word you should use would be "imply" not "infer" I would imply such and such, you would be the one to infer such and such. :wave:
tulc(is just trying to help with that last part) :)

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the shooter would simply wait for church services to end?
I'm reminded of one of my most favorite "superheros" he was called:
upload_2017-11-7_15-52-17.jpeg

The Defenestrator! To defenestrate is to throw someone through a window so the Defenestrator carried a window around with him to throw people through. :D
tulc(sorry, back to the original topic of this thread) :sorry:

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
View attachment 212095
The Defenestrator! To defenestrate is to throw someone through a window so the Defenestrator carried a window around with him to throw people through. :D
:)

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 212095

Another member of his team was Dog Welder, whose super-power was welding dead puppies to bad guys' faces.

That was a weird series.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a very hot topic that I am sure many have noticed. Both in Christendom and also outside of it as well. I have a stance on this, and I know there are many different stances. I know of people personally, that are believers that feel that we should have weapons in our home for defense, and also those that do not believe we should defend in a way that brings bodily harm to anyone? It seems that this is a topic that is extremely controversial.
I am interested to know if there are any other believers that feel as if they would not own a gun or a weapon in self defense, and why. I am also interested in knowing from the other perspective, those that are for owning them and do own guns and weapons, and why? Or even if you desire to not own any for that purpose, but are not against someone owning them?
I have owned guns since 1955. I have one gun which I have owned since '59, another which I have owned since '66, the year I became a Christian, and another which I bought 2-3 years ago. For those who think that guns are inherently evil, my guns have never shot anyone although I keep ammunition in the same place I keep the guns. I'm glad I don't own any of those "evil guns."
....I have served in combat and I could if necessary use deadly force to protect myself, my family and anyone else whose lives are in danger.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would think locks have killed a lot of people. It was a good way to kill a lot of people at once...by locking them into a barn, shed, church, house, or whatever and set it on fire, send smoke/poison in, etc. It's not the tool, but how it's used.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Also, it was an NRA-trained shooter who stopped the massacre, so to the people who are now all "screw the NRA" and think it's their fault this stuff happens, what the NRA really stands for is what the hero did on Sunday. The shooter broke three different gun laws and multiple felonies to do what he did. LAWS WILL NEVER WORK.

Upvote 0

harkpuff

Aug 4, 2014
✟8,837.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Guns did not exist in that day. That aside, God does not change... are we allowed to steal now? Serve other gods? No... so why would it now be wrong to defend your home when the God who "does not change" said it isn't a sin to defend yourself? God was one thing long ago and something else now? That would mean He isn't the same yesterday, today and forever.

Great reply Ken. I believe God placed in human creation the same sense of responsibility to protect his or her family as God did the animal world. And God places an even higher value on his human creation than animals. What happens when you get between a mother lion and her cubs. If not careful she will rip your face off and feed you to her kids. When similar situations of danger present themselves to the mother or father of small children I can almost guarantee those same natural instincts will well up within them as well. If Charles Manson or Freddie Kruegger shows up on your front porch and wants to rape and butcher your family, I can guarantee that inviting them in for a hot cup of cocoa, hold hands and sing a few rounds of Kum-by-aaaa will be the last thing on your mind as it should be.
We live in a world and age where increasingly two legged pure evil exists. It is one thing to offer a man your cloak or a can of gas if he wants to steal your lawn mower, but to allow your children to be eaten like sheep without challenge is being far less than responsible.
Scripture says that the man who does not take care of his own is less than the heathens.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a very hot topic that I am sure many have noticed. Both in Christendom and also outside of it as well. I have a stance on this, and I know there are many different stances. I know of people personally, that are believers that feel that we should have weapons in our home for defense, and also those that do not believe we should defend in a way that brings bodily harm to anyone? It seems that this is a topic that is extremely controversial.

I am interested to know if there are any other believers that feel as if they would not own a gun or a weapon in self defense, and why. I am also interested in knowing from the other perspective, those that are for owning them and do own guns and weapons, and why? Or even if you desire to not own any for that purpose, but are not against someone owning them?
they would not own a gun or a weapon in self defense, and why.
Everything I hear people who have guns for self defense in their home are more likely to shoot a member of the family or shoot themselves.
And it doesn't matter if your a Christian or not.
I kick box I'm happy with that, I used to own guns but never kept them loaded, as most people would for self defense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great reply Ken. I believe God placed in human creation the same sense of responsibility to protect his or her family as God did the animal world. And God places an even higher value on his human creation than animals. What happens when you get between a mother lion and her cubs. If not careful she will rip your face off and feed you to her kids. When similar situations of danger present themselves to the mother or father of small children I can almost guarantee those same natural instincts will well up within them as well. If Charles Manson or Freddie Kruegger shows up on your front porch and wants to rape and butcher your family, I can guarantee that inviting them in for a hot cup of cocoa, hold hands and sing a few rounds of Kum-by-aaaa will be the last thing on your mind as it should be.
We live in a world and age where increasingly two legged pure evil exists. It is one thing to offer a man your cloak or a can of gas if he wants to steal your lawn mower, but to allow your children to be eaten like sheep without challenge is being far less than responsible.
Scripture says that the man who does not take care of his own is less than the heathens.
I believe you misused that verse.
1 Timothy chapter 5 verse 8
Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, it was an NRA-trained shooter who stopped the massacre, so to the people who are now all "screw the NRA" and think it's their fault this stuff happens, what the NRA really stands for is what the hero did on Sunday. The shooter broke three different gun laws and multiple felonies to do what he did. LAWS WILL NEVER WORK.
Hmmmm...so that's (kind of) one out of 307 mass shootings this year?
Mass shootings in the U.S.: 307 mass shootings have occurred in 2017
So that excuses all the people killed because the NRA fights against every attempt to bring some kind of regulation on guns in America? :scratch:
tulc(wonders if this would constitute an actual grasping at straws argument?) :sorry:

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,456.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am interested to know if there are any other believers that feel as if they would not own a gun or a weapon in self defense, and why.
I do not nor have ever owned a gun though have no problem with others owning one as long as they take every safety precaution to ensure that innocent people will not be hurt with those weapons.

My reason for not owning a weapon is precisely the reason I cited above. The moment that a gun comes into an environment it becomes a much more hazardous place. The odds are greater that the gun will be used to shoot an innocent person than to be used for self defense.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmmm...so that's (kind of) one out of 307 mass shootings this year?
Mass shootings in the U.S.: 307 mass shootings have occurred in 2017
So that excuses all the people killed because the NRA fights against every attempt to bring some kind of regulation on guns in America? :scratch:
tulc(wonders if this would constitute an actual grasping at straws argument?) :sorry:
Not at all. NRA doesn't kill people. How many NRA members are mass killers? From the research I've done, the answer would be ZERO. Most mass shootings are black-on-black crime, but you don't see that reported in the news because it's not ratings or it might offend people. A lot of those guns were stolen.

-Vegas shooter passed a background check with every gun he purchased. He would've never been flagged.

-Sandy Hook shooter couldn't have bought weapons, but instead, killed his mom to illegally obtain them. Gun laws wouldn't have stopped him.

-San Bernardino shooters had a friend buy the weapons for them. Gun laws wouldn't have stopped them.

-Columbine shooters were too young to purchase weapons, were able to do so anyway. No gun laws would've stopped them.

-Virginia Tech shooter cleared all background checks and legally obtained his firearm. He had a clean record, so no laws would've stopped him.

-Fort Hood shooter was a member of the military and easily passed his background check to obtain his guns.

-Tucson shooter who tried to kill Rep. Giffords obtained his gun legally after passing a background check.

-Aurora shooter obtained his guns legally after passing background checks.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. You can't tell if someone is mentally ill. You can't tell if they're part of a dangerous religion or ideology. You can't tell if someone wants to shoot skeet or assassinate the president.

You might say, "Extend the length of time you have to wait," but I don't know of any shooter who bought their gun days before the event. All these shooters bought weapons weeks, months, or even years beforehand.

You might say, "make clips with less capacity", but the Texas shooter went through 15 clips. If you're trained or practiced, you can undo a clip pretty quickly.

Gun laws only impact lawful abiding citizens. 99.999% of all gun owners are like the hero who shot back and saved lives. There are NO NRA mass shooters. If guns and the NRA were the problem, with millions of followers, you'd think they were out there everyday.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a very hot topic that I am sure many have noticed.
It's a hot topic for Americans not for the rest of the western world because most of the western world doesn't have regular mass shootings.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.