✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 07:50 AM Evening Mist said this in Post #54

Lord in heaven. So if my son temporarily goes off his rocker some night when he is a teenager, and drinks himself into a stupor and then tries to rob someone's house UNARMED -- you think it is okay to teach the world a lesson by SHOOTING him?

If it's the middle of the night, and someone breaks into MY house, I would automatically assume they WERE armed...If I were threatened in ANY way, I would most definitely pull the trigger.

Upvote 0

IslandBreeze

Caribbean Queen
Sep 2, 2002
✟18,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 04:35 PM waterwizard said this in Post #59

No, it does not cause criminals to own less guns.  It causes them to think twice before preying on a victim.  If he thinks there is a chance he won't make it out alive, most of the time he won't do it.

The criminal is a predator, looking for the weakest victim; the one he knows will not be able to defend themselves. 

AMEN.

Upvote 0

waterwizard

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2002
Alabama
✟3,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Today at 02:04 PM Evangelion said this in Post #66

And the moral of the story? Strong doors save lives.

Buy doors, not guns! :cool:

Yeah, it's so much better to throw a door at an intruder, anyway.

I like the solid wood ones, myself.  They're heavy, but they hurt when they hit.

The other moral to the story -- always have a backup, whether you need it or not.

Upvote 0

Ryder

Whatever was the deplorable word
Jan 13, 2003
Michigan
✟23,089.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 03:04 PM Evangelion said this in Post #66

And the moral of the story? Strong doors save lives.

Buy doors, not guns! :cool:

What about your windows? Burglers do tend to break those when the door isn't an option. Bar yer windows, lock yer doors, board up the chimney and... ah forget it, go buy a gun already :D 

BTW    LOL Waterwizard, I can throw a doornob pretty hard

Upvote 0

aaron

Prayer Warrior
Nov 3, 2002
✟17,070.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Today at 06:18 AM manateelynn said this in Post #55

Folks, I usually just read the posts and not comment on them, but this time, I feel a need.... My daughters are grown now and I even have a grandson, but when my daughters were little (2 and 3 yrs old), my husband was working the midnight shift at a 7-11, so my girls and I were home alone. One early morning, someone tried to break in our front door. ....

Awesome story, thank you for sharing

Today at 08:24 AM Evangelion said this in Post #58
So you were saved by two locked doors.

The firearm was therefore unnecessary.

Thankyou. :cool:

Do you truly think that the locked door stops the person every time. If someone truly wants to get in they will find a way. I gun will not fail you if you have training and know how to use one properly.

Today at 08:35 AM waterwizard said this in Post #59

No, it does not cause criminals to own less guns.  It causes them to think twice before preying on a victim.  If he thinks there is a chance he won't make it out alive, most of the time he won't do it.

The criminal is a predator, looking for the weakest victim; the one he knows will not be able to defend themselves. 

Exactly!

Today at 11:46 AM Evening Mist said this in Post #64

You know, we have a pretty good dog. He's not a fierce breed, but he is loyal and protective.

Sorry to tell you but the dog could get killed; the gun cannot.

Aaron :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yesterday at 09:34 PM aaron said this in Post #69 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=649832#post649832)

First if your son or anyone was to break in they would be breaking the law and I wouldn't know if they were armed or not. So yes they could get shot. Shooting them doesn't mean they get killed. There are parts of the body like the leg, arm, etc. that doesn't kill the person. That would be the first option. If they persist they could get shot again. Also, if my "own" son was bumping around in the night I would not shoot him. I would first look to see who it is. I would not shoot at anything that moves.

Aaron :)

Hey Aaron...... the only problem with other body parts is the Law suit you will have on your hands - and guess what - you will lose. yes - a person can break into your house - threaten your life and you shoot them in the leg - they win law suits - happens all the time... where is the justice in this country when a person can break into your house - lock themselves in your garage for a week and they sue YOU because they had to eat dog food to live....... and worse of all - win........................ makes you think if you want to shoot someone just to maim and stop them or make sure they threaten no one again.... it unfortunate........

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
The countermeasure must always be within limits. If an unarmed person threatens you, you aren´t allowed to jsut draw your gun and kill him/her. Doing this you overstep your bounds.
That´s why „offenders“ win those lawsuits.

If you trap an ofender in your garage and refuse to let him out and punish him with imprisonment, then you are outside of the law.

No one has answered till now, where does the right to bear arms end. Which guns shouldn´t be in the hands of private persons

Upvote 0

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Get a life lacmeh.....

your replying to something YOU have NO IDEA what your talking about.... First off - the garage incident was the family went away on vacAtion for a week - the stupid idiot who broke in the house went thru the garage ot get out - couldn't do it or get back into the house..... thus he was stuck till the people got back.............. he wasn't intentionally trapped.....

second - if you are threatened in your home - the LAW says you can shoot them... period...... to be heartless for a moment - you should shoot them to kill them... My point was there have been several incidents where homes have been broken into - people lives were threatened and noy by armless people - but by armed thugs... when they were shot by somepne protecting themselves they sued and won........ there is no balance there what so ever... America has gotten into a sue sue sue mentality and winning - no different then going to Mcdonalds - orderinga cup of hot coffee and sueing them when the coffee is spilled - and WINNING.........
no different then McDonalds being sued now for making people FAT..

there is no justice in any of that...... the right to BEAR ARMS is just that... the ability to own guns not automatics weapons or chemical weapons - get real on it... but to own firearms. and use them for protection...

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
WayneH, if the law would explicit allow to shoot and kill people, who break and enter, then those offenders wouldn´t win said lawsuits...

You are allowed emergency defense but you aren´t allowed to overdo it. I guess in the cases, that teh lawsuits were won, the defenders had overdone it.

Well as far as I know about the McDonalds coffee incident, the hot coffee was about 4 degrees Celsius below water boiling point. Water or coffee that hot or soemthing in that range of temperature is really quite too hot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you still don't get it............. forget the laws as far as defending your self - that has NOTHING to do with what I was saying....

I;m talking about out and out stupidity of thugs - where in several cases they threatened people with Guns or knives - whatever it was - the DEFENDERs shot them in arm or leg......... and the thugs turned around and sued them - they committed a crime - got caught and turned around and sued..... The next time I get the list of STUPIDity law suits I will post... I'm not talking about someone sueing another person because they walked thru their yards and got shot for it... I'm talking about people threatening others and were shot in protection - not killed...

as for the coffee - you really need to get a life..... COFFEE is HOT.. it wasn't iced coffee - it was regular hot coffee - I have always bought coffee at mcd's as well as other places....... its hot - I know its hot - when its fresh from the pot I DO NOT PUT BETWEEN MY LEGS......... thats plain out and out stupidity..... nothing less.......... I buy coffee often - its very hot - too hot for Me to drink at that moment ( unless I put ice in it ).. Would you sue mcdonalds because the coffee was cold?? face it - people are sue happy just to get a quick buck and nothing more.... and the worse part isn't that they are sueing for no reasons.. it sad because we have morons on juries giving thieves and thugs the money.......... thats the worse part.......

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
WayneH, you are right, I don´t get it. If law says, it is ok to shoot and kill offenders, why do offenders win lawsuits? Please note, I am not agreeing on general principle on those lawsuits.
It is the duty of the executive to get the facts. IF the use of force was overdone by the defender, then, yes, the defender is breaking law, too and would be viable for private lawsuit with high chance of winning. Such a lawsuit is not frivolous.

Well, I donßt think the person suin for the hot coffee, did buy the coffee to put it on the legs. It most certainly was an accident that it got on the legs. But giving out coffee with a temperature of about 96 degree Celsius (with water boiling point under normal atm at 100 degree Celsius) isn´t really responsible either. Imagine, that you hodl teh cup in hand, spill it on your hands because of too many peopel there and one stumbling in you. That gives pretty burn wounds...

Upvote 0

WayneH

Washed in His Blood
Jan 3, 2002
Maryland
Visit site
✟15,973.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 10:24 AM Lacmeh said this in Post #77 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=650759#post650759)

WayneH, you are right, I don´t get it. If law says, it is ok to shoot and kill offenders, why do offenders win lawsuits? Please note, I am not agreeing on general principle on those lawsuits.

thats just it lacmeh. they were not shot and killed - otherwise they couldn't sue... usually when an intruder is shot and killed they deem it jusitfied and everyone goes on their merry way.. however - shoot an intuder that is trying to kill you and you only wound him - then your sued..

so you see - thats why you don't get it - you keep coming back to killing a person as overdoing it. thats NOT IT..... JUST WOUNDING a person in leg or arm.. I can't argue with you onthe fact it may be overdoing it when you shoot and kill.. but thats not the point...... though I think a person has every right ot shoot and kill if their lives are in danger...

tell me where is defending yourself by shooting a person in the leg or arm considered overdone?? I would think killing the intruder would be overdone - but hey - if the courts want us ot not get sued - we should be shooting to kill and not just shooting to defend....

I'm not gonna keep going on about the coffee.. I'll just assume you have a thermometer when you brew coffee.. as far as I am concerned that was one of most frivolous lawsuits ever to make it to trial and worse yet - the idiot won...

Upvote 0

Lacmeh

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,156.00
The question is:
If the defense is not overdone, why does the offender win the lawsuit? (Please note, I write overdone, nothing aboutz killing or anything like that, it just means unnecessary force)

And no, I donßt have a thermometer when drinknig my coffee, I get it out of my coffee machine, when it´s hot but not at boiling point....

Why don´t you do a little self experiment? Bring water to the boiling point and pour it over your hands. Then talk about the lawsuit being frivolous or not.

Upvote 0

waterwizard

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2002
Alabama
✟3,275.00
Faith
Baptist
That's the reason companies are having to put warnings on their products now, such as "Do not use electric hair dryer while in the shower". 

Common sense would tell you coffee is HOT!!  And if you spill it on you it will BURN YOU!!

Common sense will also tell you if someone is breaking into your home, they may have the intention of harming someone who tries to stop them.  Common sense will tell you to get them before they get you.

The courts have thrown common sense out the window.  It's a free for all now.

Upvote 0