Christians funding an appeal of a christian dismissed. Is it ethical or outrageously immoral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is a follow-up to the thread Titled - Is it Ethical to be fired for your Christian Beliefs.
Is it Ethical to be fired for stating Christian beliefs

This is about the case of Israel Folau. He was, until fired, Represented Australia in the national rugby union. He is a highly talented player and a fundamentalist Christian.

Israel Folau was fired for stating that those who had sex outside of marriage, who drank, who were gay, were of another religion (idolators)...the list goes on....they were all so evil that they will burn in hell forever.

He stated this from his social media platform which clearly identifies him as a Rugby Australia representative. He was warned, re-warned, re-re-warned...then finally fired.
The details of this are on another thread: Is it Ethical to be fired for stating Christian beliefs

This is a follow-up. Israel Folau has posted a 'GoFundMe' to cover his legal costs to sue Rugby Australia. His post states he is in the 'fight of his life'. He's asking for people to give him Three Million.

Now Israel is a millionaire +++++ through the lucrative contracts afforded him over the years. His request for funds sit alongside those asking for 10K because they have a Neuroblastoma. Another has leukaemia and asks for 7K.

How have Christians responded? - while those alongside Israel's requests have drastic needs, they receive nothing while Christians poured over $700 thousand to him

The question I have - does this behaviour to fund a multi-millionaire with millions more for his breach of contract court case, seem ethical when no such funds would be given to those who truly need it.

Finally - 'GoFundMe' has stepped in - closed his account and sent money back to the donors.

Where does all this sit with christians. It appears that many are:
A) Ok that he broke contract
B) would use a gofundme platform to fund his appeal.

relevant backstory is attached via some links.

Israel Folau's GoFundMe donations pass half a million dollars despite condemnation

Fierce reaction to GoFundMe’s move
deleted/11240354

'We're committed to fight for equality': GoFundMe axes Israel Folau's campaign

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟59,003.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I checked your previous thread out and my opinion is that he should have respected the code of conduct. The Bible is a personal guide. That is, he has no right to push it onto others forcibly, if someone comes to him and seek, alright that's fine, but just pushing it is a clear violation of the code of conduct.

He clearly wasn't fired for his Christian beliefs, he was fired for pushing his beliefs onto others.

Upvote 0

Yennora

Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟59,003.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And agree with you on the funding part, this funding better go to oppressed poor families in a place like Egypt or Pakistan or else. Not to a rugby player. When will this lame fight between the right and left end in western countries and they just grow up to serve a real purpose all together?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This is a follow-up to the thread Titled - Is it Ethical to be fired for your Christian Beliefs.
Is it Ethical to be fired for stating Christian beliefs

This is about the case of Israel Folau. He was, until fired, Represented Australia in the national rugby union. He is a highly talented player and a fundamentalist Christian.

Israel Folau was fired for stating that those who had sex outside of marriage, who drank, who were gay, were of another religion (idolators)...the list goes on....they were all so evil that they will burn in hell forever.

He stated this from his social media platform which clearly identifies him as a Rugby Australia representative. He was warned, re-warned, re-re-warned...then finally fired.
The details of this are on another thread: Is it Ethical to be fired for stating Christian beliefs

This is a follow-up. Israel Folau has posted a 'GoFundMe' to cover his legal costs to sue Rugby Australia. His post states he is in the 'fight of his life'. He's asking for people to give him Three Million.

Now Israel is a millionaire +++++ through the lucrative contracts afforded him over the years. His request for funds sit alongside those asking for 10K because they have a Neuroblastoma. Another has leukaemia and asks for 7K.

How have Christians responded? - while those alongside Israel's requests have drastic needs, they receive nothing while Christians poured over $700 thousand to him

The question I have - does this behaviour to fund a multi-millionaire with millions more for his breach of contract court case, seem ethical when no such funds would be given to those who truly need it.

Finally - 'GoFundMe' has stepped in - closed his account and sent money back to the donors.

Where does all this sit with christians. It appears that many are:
B) would use a gofundme platform to fund his appeal.

relevant backstory is attached via some links.

Israel Folau's GoFundMe donations pass half a million dollars despite condemnation

Fierce reaction to GoFundMe’s move
deleted/11240354

'We're committed to fight for equality': GoFundMe axes Israel Folau's campaign

It's worth noting that Folau's property portfolio has been estimated at $5.8 million (Australian).
Israel Folau 'very grateful for your support' as he sits on $5.8m property portfolio
OB

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone quoted the contract detail or are we guessing he was in breach.

He must consider he was not in breach to mount a serious legal case.

Should faithful believers accept a gag on their beliefs?

Did the first disciples choose between God and man when spreading their beliefs publicly.

Reactions: creslaw
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Did the first disciples choose between God and man when spreading their beliefs publicly.
The breach is of the code of conduct which every single rugby player has. I play womens touch rugby and I have a copy. You can access it from the web. Its no secret document

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

This is the question raised in the OP.

The OP summarised the background to the issue and also provides access to earlier discussion.

While:

Did the first disciples choose between God and man when spreading their beliefs publicly
may be a fascinating question, it isn't relevant to the OP.
OB

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not so quick to dismiss his action as un-Christian, if takes guts to walk against the tide whether you are right or wrong. One thing is, he is not luke warm. His stand comes in the context of a global move to gag free speech so that a new 'morality' can dominate the globe.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It doesn't seem that Israel Folau broke his contract; there was apparently a contract that included social media provisions, but that wasn't the contract he signed.

It seems likely, in fact, that Israel Folau was unfairly dismissed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't seem that Israel Folau broke his contract; there was apparently a contract that included social media provisions, but that wasn't the contract he signed.

It seems likely, in fact, that Israel Folau was unfairly dismissed.
It seems you are not familiar with rugby at all - nor this case - Every single player - that includes me - are provided the code of conduct. We are aware of the requirement to abide when we register as a player each year. Its irrelevant whether you are an amateur of an elite multi-million dollar contractee like Folau.

Be aware - this has implications internationally, but certainly nationally. If Folau wins, then christian organisations have zero grounds to stand on if an employee at a christian school suddenly starts saying being gay is OK, or you find out they converted to islam so start sprouting at school and on their social media, anti-christian values.

Im sure then ,any Christians here would start changing their opinion. Or is it that Christians want freedom of speech regardless of contract to apply only to Christians and to no-one else.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems you are not familiar with rugby at all - nor this case - Every single player - that includes me - are provided the code of conduct.

I'm pretty sure that the code doesn't forbid religious statements on social media.

• Agree
Reactions: creslaw
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What objective moral standard insists that sending money to a sick person is more morally acceptable than sending money to a person that has been fired?

We don't need an objective moral standard, just compassion for human beings and their needs.

Upvote 0

Yennora

Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟59,003.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm pretty sure that the code doesn't forbid religious statements on social media.

Not all religious statements are the same. Sharing a thanksgiving Psalm after a match wouldn't have gotten him fired. He shared some particular verses to condemn the actions of others. He didn't mind his own business and started up a fire and hence got fired. See the difference? The verses he shared are personal, that is, he either follows them himself or not, but not push them onto others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Depends on the context of what is shared and how it is represented.

That's a pathetic answer.

If people can't say "repent and believe in the gospel, for the kingdom of God is at hand," then Christianity is illegal.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You're suggesting that preaching the gospel is, or should be, illegal?

There's a difference between illegal and unacceptable and a difference between preaching and insulting. Folau did not break any law. Folau repeatedly breached the Rugby Code of Conduct which was a standard requirement of his contractual obligation. He also breached his contract after agreeing that he would not do so. This was unacceptable to his employers.

Rugby Australia supports Rugby for indigenous players, for female players, for disabled players as well as encouraging LGBTQI players. All of these groups are considered to be protected from insult and vilification within the Code of Conduct.

Folau made the mistake many Christians make. He confused Freedom of Religion with Licence to Insult.
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a pathetic answer.

If people can't say "repent and believe in the gospel, for the kingdom of God is at hand," then Christianity is illegal.

It depends on if they make it clear that that is only a personal statement, or if they are the representative of an origination by default. I would have no problem if he said that in private or made it very clear that it was his personal view, though at his level it would still be hard for the average reader to separate his personal view with that of the organization he is part of.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.