Christians funding an appeal of a christian dismissed. Is it ethical or outrageously immoral

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They stated they did not want Folaus antics to continue to disrupt and affect the Union and its members - give the greedy hound his money and ban him

Note - you have no idea whether they paid him five dollars or 50 million - that is strictly undisclosed and your guess is just that - a guess based on rumour

What's NOT a guess though is that the deal resulted in Folau being banned from any rugby code in Australia - forever - bye-bye - Heck I'd have given a 100 Mil to see the back of him - value for money outcome. He's tried to get in South Africa and they said the same thing to him.

Folau took the money as he knew full well he'd lose in court is everyone's guess - either way, yayyyyy bye bye - take your prejudices elsewhere.

It's good for Folau - he got more money out of the rugby community that he insulted so frequently, and he is now free to accuse anyone he likes that they are terrible and hope they go to hell. He can knock himself out - It's just that now no one is listening.

[
This is the problem at the moment there is no clear position for when a situation between discrimination laws and religious rights clashes as to what is the law. On the one hand we have discrimination laws saying people cannot say certain things that may offend certain people. On the other hand we have laws saying a person can express their religious beliefs. In Folau's it is especially complex as he is also a preacher and as part of this uses the bible to preach the word of God. So denying him that right is denying his right to not only express his beliefs but practice his occupation.

The bible is a legal book that is used in our courts. Folau is not the only person to hold these beliefs. All Christians do. Are we to say that no Christian can no longer express their beliefs. If we want to stop him expressing certain bible verses do we begin to stop other Christians quoting other bible verses that some just happen to decide they don't like. What about bible verses that say abortion is wrong, or that sex before marriage is wrong. That say certain lifestyles that indulge in sinful lives like sexual immorality or getting drunk or adultery are wrong and people will be at risk of ending up in hell.

What Folau said is no different to bible verses that mention other acts and ways of living that are regarded as sinful. So that makes billions of Christians at risk of not being able to express their religious beliefs by quoting the bible. The bible is about sin and salvation of the soul. This comes down to a clash of worldviews where secular views believe one thing and Christians another. Who is ultimately right or wrong and who has the right to stop another from believing and expressing their faith.

Abortion is a good example. Who says the current position of secular society and law on abortion is correct at the moment. It is just a subjective view. What if we find that abortion is wrong and a fetus is life. Does society have the right to stop people saying that those who carry out and have abortions are sinners and will end up in hell if this is their religious beliefs which is their subjective view that could be correct. If we start stopping opposing views especially based on religious beliefs we will become a dictatorship only allowing certain views that go along with those in power.

You have to remember those who oppose abortion regard life as precious so opposing beliefs are not just about criticizing people who practice certain lifestyles. Folau was not being discriminatory. He was following his belief that says Christians should spread the word that Christ is the savior of sinners. Love sinners but hate the sin. He stated that clearly in his post. Just because that offends some does not mean we should ban all Christians from expressing their beliefs.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
wow - JUST wow
You havent been a follower of his sites have you - Quite obviously not!!!!

Theres the ones where he stands in his wallabies outfit before then slagging off the community thats given him a multi-million dollar contract.

Its quite irritating such comments when youve never been a follower of his then make out your the all-informed representative of his activities.

Now although Israel deleted most of his pics from IG in a wallabies outfit, he still has them as a NSW rep for Rugby. His FB is still plastered as a Wallaby. So its a bit rich to stand there representing Rugby Australia and Rugby NSW then saying - oh heck it was just a little personal aside - to 5 million followers

View attachment 258883 View attachment 258884 View attachment 258884 View attachment 258883 View attachment 258884 View attachment 258883
OK so we all post pics and posts of our lives including ones at work, receiving awards and in association with whatever we do in life. That is what Facebook and Instagram are all about, posting and sharing our life. Does that mean we cannot express our beliefs. Who decides what is acceptable or not.

Will there come a time where people will say because the bible mentions certain acts will cause people to end up in hell and therefore considered discriminatory anyone who believes and supports the bible is implicitly being discriminatory and therefore should be banned from social media or sacked at work if they profess this support just like they do with Islam. Is that not Christian-phobia. How far do we go in policing this state of affairs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Folau's employer has a legal obligation to protect his right to freedom of religious expression under the Fair Work laws.

Steve, That is simply untrue. The employer has an obligation NOT to discriminate on the basis of religion.

It does NOT require that the employer allows the employee to express his religious views at work and NOR does it allow the employee to abdicate his duties based on religious conviction.

Steve - you need to check the law. There is no way some rampant Christian JW doctor can say - no YOU cant have blood products because of my religion doesn't support it - OR having a little chat to a young pregnant adolescent telling her shes going to hell for her immorality - OR a Islamic disappearing from the Emergency department floor because they have to go pray.

Check the Law -
A did not have any specific clause stating that Folau could not post his beliefs on social media

Well clearly you don't know rugby, play rugby or much else about it..
Steve - we, every single player at every level, sign - we get lectures on this very topic so please....don't play the - heck he didn't know about it.

person employed by a religious school where they do not stipulate any obligations to not post on social media should have the right to post their views

For some reason, you do not see how you are supporting the very argument I am making - the duplicity of Christians in this matter. It's mind-boggling. Youre saying - Its quite OK for Christians to post what they like, telling everyone how terrible they are, lambasting kids on matters a Christian disapproves of....... BUT if a science teacher at a Christian school, puts on facebook that he supports evolution - well according to you he should be sacked....

And somehow you can't see the hypocrisy in that.

I don't expect you to suddenly see how those of us outside of Christian ranks, shake our head at the incredible hypocrisy of Australian Conservative Christians... You have your view

As far as I am concerned the matter is over - He's gone. This country will never see him in our rugby union, rugby league or AFL community...and for that, I am terribly grateful - I don't want such evil in our ranks.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Steve, That is simply untrue. The employer has an obligation NOT to discriminate on the basis of religion.

It does NOT require that the employer allows the employee to express his religious views at work and NOR does it allow the employee to abdicate his duties based on religious conviction.

Steve - you need to check the law. There is no way some rampant Christian JW doctor can say - no YOU cant have blood products because of my religion doesn't support it - OR having a little chat to a young pregnant adolescent telling her shes going to hell for her immorality - OR a Islamic disappearing from the Emergency department floor because they have to go pray.

Check the Law -

Well clearly you don't know rugby, play rugby or much else about it..
Steve - we, every single player at every level, sign - we get lectures on this very topic so please....don't play the - heck he didn't know about it.
You must have misunderstood me or I haven't explained things properly. I thought I said that Folau's employer has a legal obligation to protect his (Folau's) right to freedom of religious expression. That means the employer cannot sack Folau for expressing his religious views. That does not mean that a JW doctor can refuse a blood transfusion. But they can express their belief that a blood transfusion is wrong or observe their religious traditions. In other words employees are protected under Work place laws from being sacked for expressing or observing their religion. Just as they are with their political views.

For some reason, you do not see how you are supporting the very argument I am making - the duplicity of Christians in this matter. It's mind-boggling. Youre saying - Its quite OK for Christians to post what they like, telling everyone how terrible they are, lambasting kids on matters a Christian disapproves of....... BUT if a science teacher at a Christian school, puts on facebook that he supports evolution - well according to you he should be sacked....

And somehow you can't see the hypocrisy in that.
But you are blowing things out of context. I never said that Christians could post what they like. They can only post what their belief is. In Folau's case quoting a bible verse. The same bible that is a legal and accepted book in society. But making personal attacks made up from his own words is different as it is not his religious belief. Like I said earlier most religious schools usually employ people of the same faith or want people to follow the same faith or moral and ethical values. So a person who supports abortion, satanism, ect would usually not be part of the organisation. Not sure about evolution as that is not a moral judgement. Some Christians believe in evolution especially Catholics who would be most likely to have religious schools.

I don't expect you to suddenly see how those of us outside of Christian ranks, shake our head at the incredible hypocrisy of Australian Conservative Christians... You have your view
I agree some so called Christians can be hypocrites. But the religious protections are there for a good reason and non religious organisations like the UN support religious and cultural protections. Belief and culture can clash with other laws.

A good example is where there was a big uproar about an indigenous person who killed a native animal by stoning it. People said he broke the law against animal cruelty. But as an indigenous person he had rights that allow him to practice his culture in hunting and eating wild animals as they had done for thousands of years. Religion and culture have been a part of being human for thousands. Denying these aspects of being human can affect health and well-being.

But like I said this does not just happen in culture and religion. Many employers and organisations practice discrimination when they choose to employ certain people over others. It is a wide spread practice. Many have a good reason for doing so. But there can be a fine line between discrimination and the need to employ certain people.
As far as I am concerned the matter is over - He's gone. This country will never see him in our rugby union, rugby league or AFL community...and for that, I am terribly grateful - I don't want such evil in our ranks.
Well the matter is over between Folau and RA but I don't think the issue is over as a general rule and this type of thing will happen again and again until the government steps in and clarified things. Example being Margaret Court one of Australia great tennis players from the 60's who expressed her beliefs that she was against same sex marriage. She was threatened with having her name taken off a tennis court that honored her and treated poorly by tennis Australia by being basically ignored as one of their ambassadors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well we don't agree because I do not support religious views being expressed in a secular workplace and that's what it is all about - You believe a religious person should be able to say their religious views - I don't
I do not, for example, see why, just because you don't believe in abortion, you should have the right as a Christian doctor, to tell a young adolescent pregnant girl how wicked she is and she's going to hell when she presents to your emergency department.

You free to express your religious views - BUt NOT impose it on others in a secular workplace. Neither the current acts or UN support your right to do that - Israel Folau and the Christian community thought he did - and so here we are. He won't play rugby again or AFL, thankfully.

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
You must have misunderstood me or I haven't explained things properly. I thought I said that Folau's employer has a legal obligation to protect his (Folau's) right to freedom of religious expression. That means the employer cannot sack Folau for expressing his religious views. That does not mean that a JW doctor can refuse a blood transfusion. But they can express their belief that a blood transfusion is wrong or observe their religious traditions. In other words employees are protected under Work place laws from being sacked for expressing or observing their religion. Just as they are with their political views.

But you are blowing things out of context. I never said that Christians could post what they like. They can only post what their belief is. In Folau's case quoting a bible verse. The same bible that is a legal and accepted book in society. But making personal attacks made up from his own words is different as it is not his religious belief. Like I said earlier most religious schools usually employ people of the same faith or want people to follow the same faith or moral and ethical values. So a person who supports abortion, satanism, ect would usually not be part of the organisation. Not sure about evolution as that is not a moral judgement. Some Christians believe in evolution especially Catholics who would be most likely to have religious schools.

I agree some so called Christians can be hypocrites. But the religious protections are there for a good reason and non religious organisations like the UN support religious and cultural protections. Belief and culture can clash with other laws.

A good example is where there was a big uproar about an indigenous person who killed a native animal by stoning it. People said he broke the law against animal cruelty. But as an indigenous person he had rights that allow him to practice his culture in hunting and eating wild animals as they had done for thousands of years. Religion and culture have been a part of being human for thousands. Denying these aspects of being human can affect health and well-being.

But like I said this does not just happen in culture and religion. Many employers and organisations practice discrimination when they choose to employ certain people over others. It is a wide spread practice. Many have a good reason for doing so. But there can be a fine line between discrimination and the need to employ certain people.
Well the matter is over between Folau and RA but I don't think the issue is over as a general rule and this type of thing will happen again and again until the government steps in and clarified things. Example being Margaret Court one of Australia great tennis players from the 60's who expressed her beliefs that she was against same sex marriage. She was threatened with having her name taken off a tennis court that honored her and treated poorly by tennis Australia by being basically ignored as one of their ambassadors.
But he can be sacked for behaving in a way that demeans others on the team, lowers moral, and negatively affects team solidarity.

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But he can be sacked for behaving in a way that demeans others on the team, lowers moral, and negatively affects team solidarity.
This is a question of opinion. There is divided views on this and that is the issue. Some think that calling out sinners is a loving act and is commanded by the bible. It is saving their souls which is greater than saving a physical life as it is about eternal salvation. So according to Folau's beliefs he was only doing his duty, especially in that he is a preacher.

It seems the only division caused was by RA in sacking Folau and sending a message to other players of Polynesia decent who held the same religious beliefs and supported Folau that their belief is not welcome. At least 15 of Folau's team mates and coaching staff supported Folau following his comments on social media.

"Before the hearing was conducted before the tribunal, a senior player had told Ms (RA chief executive Raelene) Castle and Mr (Wallabies coach Michael) Cheika that the termination of Mr Folau was likely to cause division amongst the Wallabies and that Christian Polynesians in the team were offended by the actions of Rugby Australia," the claim stated.
At least 15 teammates and coaching staff members had backed Folau following his comments, according to the documents.
Israel Folau ups damage claim to $14 million, says he could have been Wallabies captain

This is the problem. In a democratic society we allow different views even if they may be offensive to some. We had a referendum on changing the marriage laws by including same sex marriage. Many disagreed and this would have offended some people. But that is what a democratic society does. It is not a dictatorship that comes in and says you must abide by what what we believe. It asks the people as there are different views and beliefs.

The question is can people hold different beliefs and express them like Folau or do we force people to believe and think a certain way. If we say we allow people to hold different views then we should allow them to express this even if it may offend. If we all had the same views we would be programmed robots and not humans. If we say you cannot quote this or that verse from the bible then maybe we should ban the bible. You can't say we accept the bible and then start banning people from quoting it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well we don't agree because I do not support religious views being expressed in a secular workplace and that's what it is all about - You believe a religious person should be able to say their religious views - I don't
That is fair enough that we don't agree and this is what allowing different views is about.

So what about political views should we ban those as well. We may as well live in communist China and have a leader like Chairman Mao running things telling us what we can and cannot believe. Besides Folau's case was not about saying his views at work. It was on his social media which is designed for people to express their private lives.
I do not, for example, see why, just because you don't believe in abortion, you should have the right as a Christian doctor, to tell a young adolescent pregnant girl how wicked she is and she's going to hell when she presents to your emergency department.
But that's not allowed now by law. A doctor has to abide by the codes of conduct and ethics of the health department they work for which does not allow people to force their religion on others at work. But ironically the opposite is happening where doctors who hold religious beliefs against abortion are being forced to do them if they want to be a doctor. So many do not even practice in this area.

The same with gender transitioning. Doctors and even non religious ones are being forced to follow the recommended path for treating young people expressing gender dysphoria of supporting transitioning confirming treatments which often lead to hormone therapy and medical transitioning. They have no choice to disagree and must follow the governments treatment plans. So there is no room for different views and it seems the government is forcing people to follow their views and beliefs.

You free to express your religious views - BUt NOT impose it on others in a secular workplace. Neither the current acts or UN support your right to do that - Israel Folau and the Christian community thought he did - and so here we are. He won't play rugby again or AFL, thankfully.
No Folau was not forcing his religious beliefs on others at work or even in public. He was simply expressing his beliefs which he should have a right to do even if it offends some.

When a speaker at a college disagrees with other peoples beliefs and views like feminism, gender pay gaps, or gender pronouns they are expressing their opinion. They are not forcing others to follow what they believe but simply expressing their views. But there is a growing movement that wants to shut down any differing views by shouting them down, calling people names or banning them altogether. If anything it is the people who are demanding rights which are the ones shutting out rights through PC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Besides Folau's case was not about saying his views at work. It was on his social media which is designed for people to express their private lives.

Steve you just contradicted yourself. You stated in a previous post that a teacher from a religious school would, of course, be disciplined if he stated views on social media contrary to christian principles.

Now you're saying its OK for Folau, as a Christian, to do that. Can you not understand why people like me view this as hypocrisy?

But that's not allowed now by law.

There's no such law. By all means, quote the section of the Act if you have evidence of that but I know that's inaccurate

A doctor has to abide by the codes of conduct

Yes - just like all rugby players. At last, you see the point of all this. Folau broke the code of conduct. Making PR statements while representing his employer is expressed in his contract as well. He shouldn't have posted on social media, pictures of him as a wallaby, expressing hate, telling the rugby community that they will all burn in hell. Finally, you seem to get why he got sacked - and deservedly so.

Steve, you seem reasonable so this should be a lesson to a lot of groups. You know I truly adored Izzy. My teammates and I followed him for years. He stabbed all of us in the heart when he told us how wicked we and our parents were - and that we are so terrible we are to go to hell and burn forever.

And he repeated numerously. He betrayed us all and threw our love and support back in our faces. I now despise him.

He could have said so many positive messages wearing the Gold Jersey of the wallabies - Kids don't take drugs. Jesus loves you even when you make dumb mistakes - there's always people to help you..... stuff like that.

But no - he just wanted to knife the people that supported him emotionally and financially for years. He's a betrayer - a devil. I hope Christians like you advise elite people better than the advice Folau received. What good has become of this? Division, upset, he's lost his job, reviled - What good did he achieve? Did he bring anyone to Christianity with his messages of hate? Was his message of hate actually achieving anything? Was there not a better way to bring people to his faith as opposed to alienating them? Is this what you would do Steve? Can you honestly, in your heart of hearts, extol the virtues of Foau's actions.

I wrote to my federal MPs some weeks ago, seeking an explanation concerning the impact of proposed religious freedom laws. I asked about how it will affect the operations of workplaces. Is the right of an employee to express their religious views in the workplace protected. Can a person object to carrying out portions of their duties based on religious beliefs? Can an employee demand rostering etc based on religious requirements? Can an employee demand to wear religious garments in the workplace, even when said garments are contrary to practice principles of the workplace and Occupational Health and Safety.

The shadow minister has replied that they are indeed matters under threat with the new proposed legislation. My local liberal federal MP, an evangelist Christian, is yet to respond.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Steve you just conjtradicted yourself. You stated in a previous post that a teacher from a religious school would of course be disciplined if he stated views on social media contrary to christian principles.

Npw your saying its OK to do that if you are a Christian. Can you not understand why people like me view this as hipocrasy?
No I have been consistent in what I have said. I think the problem is you are taking a black and white view of this complex issue. Social media is a forum for people posting stuff about their private lives and ex[pressing their personal views. The only time a person may be disciplined for saying some negative on social media is when an organisation has a specific clause about social media in the contract. That is exactly what I said about Folau in that RA did not have a clause on this and was only relying on a general clause.

Then I further clarified that even this is not clear when an organisations clauses clash with other peoples rights/laws like religious freedom because the government has not laid out exactly when religious freedoms can and cannot be used. I said even if an organisation has a specific clause about social media that still does not resolve the dispute as laws protecting religious freedoms can trump this as an organisation also has to protect a persons religious rights.

What you are assuming is that Folau has made a personal attack with no justification. The reality is he has not made any personal attacks but made a general statement quoting the bible which is a legal and well used book. He was justified to do that because this was his religious beliefs which the law says he has a right to do.

There's no such law. By all means quote the section of the Act if you have evidence of that but I know that's innaccurate
Of course it is law, in fact it is law across all areas of work. Every public organisation has codes of conduct and ethics which are based on laws such as anti-discrimination. While at work you have to abide by those. Examples

Personal beliefs and medical practice
48. You must treat patients fairly and with respect whatever their life choices and beliefs.

52. You must explain to patients if you have a conscientious objection to a particular procedure. You must tell them about their right to see another doctor and make sure they have enough information to exercise that right. In providing this information you must not imply or express disapproval of the patient’s lifestyle, choices or beliefs. If it is not practical for a patient to arrange to see another doctor, you must make sure that arrangements are made for another suitably qualified colleague to take over your role.
54. You must not express your personal beliefs (including political, religious and moral beliefs) to patients in ways that exploit their vulnerability or are likely to cause them distress.
Personal beliefs and medical practice

The medical profession accommodates the fact that there will be times when there will be a conflict between a doctors beliefs and what the medical profession requires them to do. The code of practice accommodates doctors to avoid doing certain things that are against their conscience. But they cannot push their personal beliefs onto people.

Code of Medical Ethics Opinion 1.1.7

Preserving opportunity for physicians to act (or to refrain from acting) in accordance with the dictates of conscience in their professional practice is important for preserving the integrity of the medical profession as well as the integrity of the individual physician, on which patients and the public rely.

Physicians’ freedom to act according to conscience is not unlimited, however. Physicians are expected to provide care in emergencies, honor patients’ informed decisions to refuse life-sustaining treatment, and respect basic civil liberties and not discriminate against individuals in deciding whether to enter into a professional relationship with a new patient.

Physician Exercise of Conscience

Yes - just like all rugby players. At last, you see the point of all this. Folau broke the code of conduct. Making PR statements when representing the code is expressed in his contract as well. Finally, you seem to get why he got sacked - and deservedly so.
Yes this is while at work. But a doctor has the right to express his personal views outside work if he disagrees with abortion for example. Folau cannot and did not go around while at work telling anyone they were going to hell. He did this in his personal time acting as a preacher. That is what preachers do. Are we to ban all preachers from preaching in their personal time if they happen to have another job.

Steve, you seem reasonable so this should be a lesson to a lot of groups. You know I truly adored Izzy. My teammates and I followed him for years. He stabbed all of us in the heart when he told us how wicked we and our parents were - and that we are so terrible we are to go to hell and burn forever.
I agree that he should have probably used more tact in what he said and I do not necessarily agree with how he goes about preaching. But what he said and the approach he took is in the bible and part of Christianity and is wide practiced in many churches and on street corners. Our society measures time by Jesus Christ and center a lot of our activities around what the bible says ie Christmas, Easter, the courts (swearing on the bible as a representation of truth). The verse Folau quoted came from Saint Paul who was an avid follower of Christ. Do we stop people quoting the bible or stop Christianity in the public forum all together.

We are coming to a crunch where there is a clash between biblical and Christian beliefs and secular societies worldview. As a society we have to ask ourselves should we allow the bible in mainstream society. If we do can we start cutting things out of the bible just because some disagree or feel it offends some. Does religious rights allow people to hold these beliefs which may be central to their faith. We have accepted that the bible tells us that people who commit adultery, are sexually promiscuous, have sex before marriage, get divorced etc are sinners and are at risk of ending up in hell. How come people leading these life styles are not upset and understand that this is part but not all of Christianity.

Religious belief is like politics. There are some policies in politics that people are offended by such as liberals not supporting climate change. This could mean a matter of life or death for our future. But we don't go around saying we have to ban people from stating their views on this. Where do we draw the line. A free society allows different views even if that may offend some.

And he re[teated numerous;y. He betrayed us all and threw our love and support back in our faces. I now despise him.
The problem is people are only seeing and focusing on one small part of who Folau is. He does help the needy including gays. It was the same for Margaret Court. They bagged her for one statement about same sex. Yet she has been tirelessly helping the poor with over 3,000 meals a week and various and charity work as part of her Christian belief. People seem to jump on the small things and make them big. Society is becoming an outraged society about anything and everything.

He could have said so many positive messages wearing the Gold Jersey of the wallabies - Kids don't take drugs. Jesus loves you even when you make dumb mistakes - there's always people to help you..... stuff like that.
Yes he could have and that would have been my approach. But there are some who take the harder line and not just in religion but also in politics ie test all addicts and cut them off the dole if they test positive or all single mums need to get back to work regardless of their circumstances. These policies are more or less targeting certain lifestyles and some criticize them on social media as being dole bludgers using up tax payers money. This is an accepted part of free speech and opinion. Some people take a harder line and sometimes that is needed.

But no - he just wanted to knife the people that supported him emotionally and financially for years. He's a betrayer - a devil. I hope Christians like you advise elite people better than the advice Folau received. What good has become of this? Division, upset, he's lost his job, reviled - What good did he achieve. Did he bring anyone to Christianity with his messages of hate? Is this what you would do Steve?
I can see it has upset you and therefore his message has not obviously worked for you. This is a question for Christianity. Many said the past approach of hell and brimstone was wrong as it scared people away and this is true to a point. Jesus says to love your neighbor as yourself. But I can understand sometimes a tough line can be needed.

You have to remember that a Christian believes there is a soul which goes on after life and that there is a judgement day. All Christian believe this whether they take the love approach or the hard-line approach. The question is when should each approach be taken as there is a time and place. Some may get this wrong as they use this for their personal motives and not Gods. But if there is a soul then telling people that sin leads to separation form God is actually trying to save them and not hurt them.

It would be like telling someone that taking drugs will lead to bad consequences and even death. Perhaps Folau meant well and was trying to take a loving approach. He did say Jesus loves and saves. But he could have been more tactful in his approach.

But regardless of what some thing of Folau's approach the question is do people have a right to express their beliefs even if it may offend some. There are a lot of people who think Folau was wrong but he had a right to express his beliefs and no one wants to take that away in a free society. The issue of religious freedom is still not resolved and we will see more situations like this in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That is exactly what I said about Folau in that RA did not have a clause on this and was only relying on a general clause.

Yes they did and I as a player had to sign it - all of us do

I said even if an organisation has a specific clause about social media that still does not resolve the dispute as laws protecting religious freedoms can trump this as an organisation also has to protect a persons religious rights.

This is the example of hypocrisy I mention - even if they did have a specific clause you say that religi0nns should have the right to abuse and disregard it. Somehow you just don't get the hypocrisy of that statement. Not just you Steve, it's all religious institutions. Its seems you agree with Islam's position on this as well - they too have made the same statements you have, believing, as you do, they have the right to break agreements of a contract.

f course it is law, in fact it is law

No - its not law you have the right to go above your employment contract.

olau cannot and did not go around while at work telling anyone they were going to hell.

When you wear a wallaby jumper and say what he said - then you are at work. If you are a wallaby and use the public profile to enhance your view, your speaking as a wallaby just as of u were a PM or a cardinal. It seems that Folau was naive to think otherwise and that's why he is sacked.

He is such a backstabbing snake to do what he did - I despise his hateful ways.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes they did and I as a player had to sign it - all of us do
That may be the case now but it was not in the past and certainly was not in Folau's case. Even RA chief executive admitted this when it first happened. They did not include a social media clause in his original contract and Ms Castle tried to update it and get Folau to sign it but that did not happen. That is what led to all the problems.

Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle aborted a last-ditch attempt last year to add a social media clause to Israel Folau's contract that could have saved the game a month's worth of pain. Castle met Folau in London in November, as the Wallabies prepared for their final spring tour Test against England. According to sources familiar with the meeting, she was intent on asking him to sign an addendum that should have been included in the original contract he had signed a month earlier.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ulnerable-in-folau-storm-20190515-p51npe.html

This is the example of hypocrisy I mention - even if they did have a specific clause you say that religi0nns should have the right to abuse and disregard it. Somehow you just don't get the hypocrisy of that statement. Not just you Steve, it's all religious institutions. Its seems you agree with Islam's position on this as well - they too have made the same statements you have, believing, as you do, they have the right to break agreements of a contract.
You are taking things out of context. We are talking about two clauses coming into conflict. On the one hand an organisation may have a clause to treat people equally but on the other they also have a clause to protect peoples religious freedoms. So the person who may offend someone is not acting out of spite or hatred but is simply expressing their beliefs. Are we to say they people cannot express their religious beliefs anymore. RA had an obligation to protect Folau's religious free and that meant being able to express it in his personal life as this is where religion is practiced. If he cannot do it there then we may as well be in a communist country.

No - its not law you have the right to go above your employment contract.
So what did all the codes I just posted from the medical code of conduct specifically code 54 which stated a Doctor must not express your personal beliefs (including political, religious and moral beliefs) to patients in ways that exploit their vulnerability or are likely to cause them distress.
These are codes of conduct and ethical behavior that all Doctors sign and agree to abide by.

When you wear a wallaby jumper and say what he said - then you are at work. If you are a wallaby and use the public profile to enhance your view, your speaking as a wallaby just as of u were a PM or a cardinal. It seems that Folau was naive to think otherwise and that's why he is sacked.
So what about RA legal obligation to allow Folau religious freedom. To express his beliefs in his personal time. Does RA have the right to deny Folau's religious rights which are supported by law.

If we say that Folau cannot express his religious beliefs in his personal time and on social media then that means every person who works for someone cannot express their religious or political views any more on social media as they run the risk of going against what their employer has stated in their employment codes.

He is such a backstabbing snake to do what he did - I despise his hateful ways.
I am sorry you feel that way. What do you mean a back stabbing snake. People have known about Folau's religious convictions for a long time. He has been putting religious stuff on social media for some time now. It is not as if people did not realize he had specific religious views about sin and the bible. But the problem I see when people attack Christians is that they are doing exactly the same thing they are trying to say Folau was doing and that is being intolerant of other lifestyles and views. Attacking and name calling them and ridiculing their lifestyle.

But the difference is is that in reality if you understand the context of Folau's actions he was being loving and caring for the people named as sinners and saying Jesus loves you and you can be saved. It was like a life saver trying to save them from the drowning waters. People take a secular view of this and are not willing to see the true context. Just say God is real and there is a heaven and hell then Folau is actually saving people. It is because people take an atheistic view that they only see it as being hateful.

The point is we are all different and we need to allow different points of view and try to understand where they are coming from and I include Christians in that. It is the intolerance that does the damage. Anyway I don't want to harp on as I think we see things differently and that's fair enough. I understand your view and agree that we need to be more empathetic and understanding to each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So what about RA legal obligation to allow Folau religious freedom. To express his beliefs in his personal time. Does RA have the right to deny Folau's religious rights which are supported by law.

I'm not going to re-hash everything again Steve - You believe he has the right to say his hate speech to those that supported him

I dont - and RA agreed - and hes sacked

His right to say what he said is not supported in law.

He has a right that he should be able to be employed under EEO principles is protected in law - that merely says his right to employment cannot be discriminated on the grounds of religion. It does not give him the right to say - Great let me put this wallaby jersey on and then tell all those people supporting me how evil they are and I hope they go to hell - mind you, I will take their money - Thanks so much. You obviously laud his conduct in this and since your a Christian I can understand why. But don't expect me and others to respect someone who spews such hate as Folau does.

You know my father is Buddhist. A good and gentle man. He works as a doctor and does long hours. He dedicates a large junk of his free time to Rugby, as a coach, referee, and support of kids. Get gets paid ZERO for his dedication.

Folau got paid millions, then tells my father that he is so evil, that he will see him burn in hell. It jolted my father that a high profile rugby player would betray the grassroots that way and I totally despise Folau for doing that. That said Steve I can't discuss this anymore. He's greedy and despicable - but I know you support him. That's where this discussion will end.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not going to re-hash everything again Steve - You believe he has the right to say his hate speech to those that supported him
Ok fair enough

I don't - and RA agreed - and hes sacked
You and RA have a right to that view. But what about all the others who disagree, do they have a right to their view.

His right to say what he said is not supported in law.
As far as I understand Section 772 of the Fair Work Act, states that a person cannot be sacked for expressing or practicing their religion. That is the basis Folau was suing RA and expert opinion said he would have won. All he had to do was prove that RA terminated his contract due to him expressing his religious beliefs. The bible verse he quoted is from the bible that represents his religious beliefs.

He has a right that he should be able to be employed under EEO principles is protected in law - that merely says his right to employment cannot be discriminated on the grounds of religion. It does not give him the right to say - Great let me put this wallaby jersey on and then tell all those people supporting me how evil they are and I hope they go to hell - mind you, I will take their money - Thanks so much. You obviously laud his conduct in this and since your a Christian I can understand why. But don't expect me and others to respect someone who spews such hate as Folau does.
But Folau did not have his wallaby jumper on, he did not even post a picture of himself.

You know my father is Buddhist. A good and gentle man. He works as a doctor and does long hours. He dedicates a large junk of his free time to Rugby, as a coach, referee, and support of kids. Get gets paid ZERO for his dedication.
But he gets paid as a doctor and Folau gets paid as a footy player. Folau also dedicates a lot of time too coaching kids and helping people for free. He has even helped gay rugby as shown below. Why doesn't he get acknowledged for this as your dad would.
D-C5WHfUwAAzvNs

Folau got paid millions, then tells my father that he is so evil, that he will see him burn in hell. It jolted my father that a high profile rugby player would betray the grassroots that way and I totally despise Folau for doing that. That said Steve I can't discuss this anymore. He's greedy and despicable - but I know you support him. That's where this discussion will end.
I am sorry that this happened and can appreciate how you can feel offended. Like I said I am sure Folau did not mean any harm and could have used more tact in his approach.

Just out of interest as I am interested in gauging what people opposed to Folau think if Folau used more tact would quoting that bible verse have been more acceptable.
Also do you think people should be able to quote the bible at all in a public forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.