Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am a Christian and I love psychology. I know that some Christians take offense to this, my own father included, and I'm curious why.

Why is it so controversial for a Christian to be interested in psychology? Is it somehow wrong for us to investigate how the brain works?

It shouldn't be controversial - psychology is a wonderful tool. You need to understand how the mind works and how best to approach people to get points across, help them, and get along with them - we all pick some of this up subtly through social interaction. Psychology doesn't have to clash with Christianity depending on the school of thought - there are plenty of talented psychologists who are also Christian.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you deny a school teacher the help of an educational psychologist in trying to manage classroom behaviour and learning difficulties?

If you are talking about schooling in a Christian context then yes I would deny this to the teacher. I would highly recommend seeking the help of Christian peers, family members who are Christian, or ministers of the Gospel, but would in no way advise seeking help from the world with their methodologies. If the behavior problem is medical then seeking the help of a doctor who treats psychiatric illnesses and their associated disorders may be alright. For a Christian to resort to the world for help is an admission of unbelief in the God and Lord who was the creator/designer of the human psyche. To apply temporal methods to a spiritual problem is no different than taking an aspirin to achieve salvation, it is impossible. Just because we take the word "psychology" and tag on the word "Christian" to the front of it means only that we have slid back into the world to solve our spiritual problems; this is not acceptable to our Lord and it should not be acceptable to us.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello, megan_26. My mentor who baptized me is a Christian and clinical psychologist. He specializes in family development and treatment of substance abuse from a biblical perspective. So, I'm all for Christian Psychology. Peace in Christ:).

Reactions: megan_26
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s Weaponized

The Stasi in 1950’s Germany used tactics that mimic mental illness on their own civilians. It’s happening in America to many Christian people.

mmmm, mmmmmm! The Seventies....;) Good times, Good times! Yes, one can tell it's been weaponized from this classic documentary that ran on ABC. I love how even the commercials that are played during this documentary really bring home it's case and point. :rolleyes: But seriously, there is something to this.....

I thought it was especially interesting that one of the first comments in the beginning relate that some of the 'research' was done to see what can be learned about human psychology as it relates to the social structures found in and around brothels (i.e. among pimps and prostitutes). mmmm, yep! I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree with the idea that a brain works this way or that. You want to understand what people are thinking. Psychology can be a tool in doing this, but it is nothing more than a tool.

I am coming to this conversation late, but I felt I had to comment on how bewildering this reply was to me. Firstly, surely the brain must work in some way, so it must work in "this way or that". Secondly, no-one would ever claim that psychology is anything more than a tool. To understand the actual workings of the brain one would have to delve into neuroscience, and I presume that is really what you are objecting to. But psychology is an observational science that studies behavioural patterns in large groups, and uses these patterns as a tool to help individuals. It is only studying emergent properties, and I don't see how anyone could abject to that!

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am coming to this conversation late, but I felt I had to comment on how bewildering this reply was to me. Firstly, surely the brain must work in some way, so it must work in "this way or that". Secondly, no-one would ever claim that psychology is anything more than a tool. To understand the actual workings of the brain one would have to delve into neuroscience, and I presume that is really what you are objecting to. But psychology is an observational science that studies behavioural patterns in large groups, and uses these patterns as a tool to help individuals. It is only studying emergent properties, and I don't see how anyone could abject to that!

Psychology is not a science and every psychologist knows that. Psychology is highly subjective and it has been shown that the advice of peers and family members are just as effective as psychological shamans. Psychologists are more closely related to witchdoctors and astrologists than to scientists.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are talking about schooling in a Christian context then yes I would deny this to the teacher. I would highly recommend seeking the help of Christian peers, family members who are Christian, or ministers of the Gospel, but would in no way advise seeking help from the world with their methodologies. If the behavior problem is medical then seeking the help of a doctor who treats psychiatric illnesses and their associated disorders may be alright. For a Christian to resort to the world for help is an admission of unbelief in the God and Lord who was the creator/designer of the human psyche. To apply temporal methods to a spiritual problem is no different than taking an aspirin to achieve salvation, it is impossible. Just because we take the word "psychology" and tag on the word "Christian" to the front of it means only that we have slid back into the world to solve our spiritual problems; this is not acceptable to our Lord and it should not be acceptable to us.

So, do you suggest we just throw Bible verses at insuperable cognitive and emotional problems? What's that old adage given out by doctors, "Here, take two Peters and a John, and call me in the morning." At least, I think that was the old adage. But somehow, I don't think bible verses are enough to deal with severe psychological problems such as schizophrenia or severe manic/bi-polar depression, among other mental maladies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

megan_26

Sep 22, 2017
USA
✟44,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Psychology is not a science and every psychologist knows that. Psychology is highly subjective and it has been shown that the advice of peers and family members are just as effective as psychological shamans. Psychologists are more closely related to witchdoctors and astrologists than to scientists.

This is just not true. Psychology is most certainly a science. It is defined as the science of behavior and thought. Those who feel it's more closely related to witchdoctors and the like simply don't understand psychology.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is just not true. Psychology is most certainly a science. It is defined as the science of behavior and thought. Those who feel it's more closely related to witchdoctors and the like simply don't understand psychology.

I heartily agree with you. And one of my own personal gripes is that 'the Church' has been slow or lagging in applying some of the more biologically sounds insights that can come from medicine in trying to help, assist, or even to understand those who are dealing with and coping with mental illness.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

One reason I disagree, is that suppose you are a Christian, and your peers and family members are not, their advice may be at odds with the advice you need. Also, peers and family are more likely to tell you what you want to hear, and not necessarily what you need to hear. There are other situations we could go into, like access or availability of peers and family members.

On another note, it is really not helpful to lump all psychologists together, any more than it would be to lump all theologians together. Without making distinctions, we will only come to negative conclusions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, do you suggest we just throw Bible verses at insuperable cognitive and emotional problems? What's that old adage given out by doctors, "Here, take two Peters and a John, and call me in the morning." At least, I think that was the old adage. But somehow, I don't think bible verses are enough to deal with severe psychological problems such as schizophrenia or severe manic/bi-polar depression, among other mental maladies.

I am suggesting no such thing, I am only suggesting that those who profess to trust Christ trust Christ. If your client has severe "psychiatric" problems then, by all means, get them to a real doctor. Do not blur the lines between psychology and psychiatry they are two different things completely. Psychology, as the very many different avenues show, is all speculative but nonetheless, they claim to possess extra-Biblical or scientific knowledge not available to the uninitiated. The inventors of this magic were all atheist, occultist, and unbelievers. You should take your faith and belief in Christ and the Bible more seriously.

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I beg to differ. Psychology is NOT a science at all. Of course, if we define science broadly, as the systematic search for knowledge, psychology would qualify for that label. But it is not terminology that is at issue here, but a matter of substantial importance.

When we talk of science, we primarily think of physical science. If a mother said that her son was studying science at Cambridge, would psychology come first to your mind? The paradigm of the physical sciences is physics because its theories based on certain observation and experimentation provide clear explanations and reliable results, and not prognostication. Science also provides the foundations for the technologies which have transformed our lives. The man on the airplane may not understand the laws of physics, but he confidently relies on the means of transport based on proven laws.

Consequently, the methods of physics become the surety of scientific methodology. On the other hand, the different theories concerned with the study of the human psyche, such as psychology, sociology, and anthropology fall way short of this. The concepts and theories of these disciplines produce no consistent results; and their application does not compare with that of physical sciences. While airplanes are pretty reliable, and millions of people enjoy television programs, there are still too many divorces and mental breakdowns. Groups of violent youths still roam the city streets. If psychology was a science they would have real answers that are repeatable but they only produce more theories and clues and not real answers.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am suggesting no such thing, I am only suggesting that those who profess to trust Christ trust Christ. If your client has severe "psychiatric" problems then, by all means, get them to a real doctor. Do not blur the lines between psychology and psychiatry they are two different things completely. Psychology, as the very many different avenues show, is all speculative but nonetheless, they claim to possess extra-Biblical or scientific knowledge not available to the uninitiated. The inventors of this magic were all atheist, occultist, and unbelievers. You should take your faith and belief in Christ and the Bible more seriously.

Actually, I think the two fields are more interrelated than what you've heretofore realized, Steve. And while I offer the following article as information by which we might better discern "the difference" between the two, I can also attest first hand from experiences within my own family that psychiatry has limited value if misapplied to patients, as does psychology generally speaking.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sacramento-street-psychiatry/201410/brief-history-psychiatry

However, with that said, I would coincide with you in saying that at some level, it would be better for many people to apply Peter before Prozac.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I think some people are just threatened by anything that offers to help humanity flourish without it being entangled in religion. Some evangelicals are always about the hard sell, even if it requires denying legitimacy to other spheres of human activity.

Upvote 0