Fort Worth
✟7,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I considered that but I have a feeling that the psychology of religious behavior is where I would find the most controversial topics. For example, God is a myth and here's why the brain proves that. Although it's possible it could be the opposite, too
And religious behavior could become too demeanor, if questioned as why.

Upvote 0

Robin Denise

Aug 12, 2018
Fort Worth
✟7,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree with you on this one. My dad has depression and I have an undiagnosed mental disorder, so this has pushed me to discover more about the brain. I see it like this: God created the brain and its many working parts. He also created us with a desire to learn and a burning curiosity. So I don't see anything wrong with investigating as long as I don't let it shake my faith
Can faith be shaken by an unknown? God is unknown. The brain is unknown. So, an unknown or the unknown, is yet, to have never shook!

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am a Christian and I love psychology. I know that some Christians take offense to this, my own father included, and I'm curious why.

Why is it so controversial for a Christian to be interested in psychology? Is it somehow wrong for us to investigate how the brain works?

Even under certain circumstances, no two souls would do exactly the same all the time?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even under certain circumstances, no two souls would do exactly the same all the time?
Are you claiming that no significant observations could be made as to how the brain works?

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a Christian and I love psychology. I know that some Christians take offense to this, my own father included, and I'm curious why.

Why is it so controversial for a Christian to be interested in psychology? Is it somehow wrong for us to investigate how the brain works?

Rather than take the time to write your answer here I have just posted a link to an article that may help explain the answer.
Christian Psychology: What’s Wrong With This Picture?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
All psychology is that it is the science of human behaviour. I did psychology at university and found it fascinating. I encountered nothing that would have compromised my faith in Jesus.

I think that what puts many Christians off psychology are the works of atheists like Freud, who, in my opinion, presented skewed psychological ideas from their own prejudicial views. We studied the works of Freud, Jung, and others and evaluated their works. We didn't have to believe their theories, in the same way that someone studying science doesn't have to believe in evolution to understand what the theory is all about.

I think it is how we apply psychological theory. If it is applied on an exclusively humanistic basis, ignoring God, then from a Christian point of view it is misapplied in a way that can compromise a person's faith.

But it can be applied while acknowledging that man is created by God, and emotions and behaviour are part of that created state.

I think my Burmese cat needs a cat psychologist to find out why he walks around the house and meows for no apparent reason, and why my "ginger ninja" drinks from the bathroom tap! :)

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0