Christianity Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting this thread to show some of the no nonsense, straight to the point questions I compiled about a year ago in assessment of my Christian life. Maybe some of you have asked the same questions or are interested to see what people have to say about these. Here they are:

What is expected of me as a Christian?

How can I realize God more in my life and have confidence in my salvation?

Should I live my life according to God's expectations? -- Sounds like a no brainer, but is that the right way to look at it? is there a better way?
Perhaps I could do things in my life to PLEASE God. What pleases God?

I feel like I belong to the Christian "club" but I sometimes feel that I'm not doing anything different than anyone else. I just know about God and that Jesus died for my sins and that he left me the Holy Spirit to commune with. Perhaps if I pray more and read the bible more I will feel better about things. Is there another way of looking at my life?

What would God think of the way I'm living right now? How will I be judged? I have to ask myself, how do I judge others? I know the bible says that I will be judged according to how I judge. My heart is expressed by how I treat the least among me.

How should I relate to others and to other Christians?

What is it that makes a Christian different from other people? Should this be a factor in my encounters with people?

Why would someone treat me different because I was a Christian? -- they would see me as a goody goody, wouldn't think i was any fun at face value, might not want to offend me, might think I was trying to sell my religion to them. I often dispell any of these preconceptions by being myself, as I'm no different from them. Now is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does that mean i'm not living a Christian life?

Do I have to be a preacher to be a christian?

A lot of Christians feel that they have to convert non Christians by convincing them that Jesus is the Christ. Some people build a whole relationship based on trying to convert someone to christianity. People are more than social "projects." Jesus said to spread the gospel, not convince people. So why is there so much debate on religion? Shouldn't we just speak a message and let people believe it or not?

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
As a Christian we are expected to trust in the living Christ as our personal savior, to love God, to love our neighbors as we love ourselves, to treat other people the way we wish to be treated, and to the best of our ability to share the Good News with others.

We are not all called to be preachers and teachers and prophets. Some are called to witness just by living lives filled with daily compassion and kindess to their fellow human beings.

As to how God would judge the way you are living, kinda hard to say without knowing exactly "how." If you're claiming to be a Christian but you're burglarizing people's homes, God probably isn't too happy. If you're trying to love your neighbor but occasionally flare up at them, yet upon doing so you apologize and ask forgiveness from them and God, then probably God is happy/happier.

We shouldn't judge people but we should judge actions. For example, we have a duty to stop people from acting out in destructive or potentially harmful ways (taking the car keys away from a drunk, for example). We do not have the right to browbeat or condemn people (belittling the drunkard for being a drunkard, for example).

What is supposed to mark Christians as different from other people is our love for God, our love for one another, and our love for others. I forget the verse, but the Bible says this is how the world will know us.

Upvote 0

israelthebride

ONE BODY
Jan 15, 2002
Elmendorf, Texas
Visit site
✟543.00
Faith
Messianic
This is my belief and understanding.
_______

JN 7:38
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said,
out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

When one questions how one is living
more than likely, this one is not living correctly.

One needs to live as a river, not as a pond or lake.
A pond or lake holds water but,
does not pour it's waters anywhere else.
A river receives water and then pours out water
to many other rivers and/or streams.

I believe, as a CREATED human,
we are to accept LIFE from our GOD YHSHWH
and then pour out HIS LIFE to others.
Otherwise, we are taking HIS CREATION and HIS LIFE
and "selfishing" it out.

Let HIM pour out HIS LIFE to others,
through you,
then you will know that you are TRULY - HIS WILL.

YHSHWH TOLD me,
"I don't need you to be like ME,
I need to BE ME through YOU."

HIS WORD (Genesis to Revelation)
is how HE LIVES, THINKS, and MOVES.
How HE treats one
is how one should treat others.

LOVE, RICOEL

Upvote 0
C

CharlesYTK

BaggaDonuts said:
I'm starting this thread to show some of the no nonsense, straight to the point questions I compiled about a year ago in assessment of my Christian life. Maybe some of you have asked the same questions or are interested to see what people have to say about these. Here they are:

Should I live my life according to God's expectations? -- Sounds like a no brainer, but is that the right way to look at it? is there a better way?

I feel like I belong to the Christian "club" but I sometimes feel that I'm not doing anything different than anyone else. I just know about God and that Jesus died for my sins and that he left me the Holy Spirit to commune with. Perhaps if I pray more and read the bible more I will feel better about things. Is there another way of looking at my life?

What would God think of the way I'm living right now? How will I be judged? I have to ask myself, how do I judge others? I know the bible says that I will be judged according to how I judge. My heart is expressed by how I treat the least among me.

What is it that makes a Christian different from other people? Should this be a factor in my encounters with people?

Why would someone treat me different because I was a Christian? -- they would see me as a goody goody, wouldn't think i was any fun at face value, might not want to offend me, might think I was trying to sell my religion to them. I often dispell any of these preconceptions by being myself, as I'm no different from them. Now is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does that mean i'm not living a Christian life?

A lot of Christians feel that they have to convert non Christians by convincing them that Jesus is the Christ. Some people build a whole relationship based on trying to convert someone to christianity. People are more than social "projects." Jesus said to spread the gospel, not convince people. So why is there so much debate on religion? Shouldn't we just speak a message and let people believe it or not?
You have accepted Messiah as your personal savior, and have received the infilling of the spirit. So now you are born again and need to know how to solidify all this in your life and make it real. You want direction. Well I have great news for you, God knows this and has already provided the answer.

Gods word (Torah) the Old Testament is where we get direction, in how to move and live and breath in Messiah. When Paul discovered Jesus he spent three years in Arabia all alone to examine the scriptures and to answer these same questions. And in those scriptures he had the complete revelation of Messiah and how to live within the body. Paul tells us to read the scriptures and to work out our salvation ect. The only scriptures he had was the Tanakh (old testament). Torah is like the Owners manual that comes in the glove box of every new born Human being.

Upvote 0

hola

Jul 8, 2004
✟1,721.00
Faith
Christian
You have some good questions...I may not have all the answers. So...here's what I think, anyway.

BaggaDonuts said:
Expected...

If you have Christ (which I believe is what defines a true Christian), I would say yield to the Holy Spirit inside of you.

I think that sometimes our walk of faith is definitely a walk of faith, not feelings...in which God may be "realized". Although I believe his presence can be made real or "realized" to an individual at any given time. I believe the confidence or assurance of our salvation is God himself living inside of us. God IS our salvation as the Scriptures state...so if we have God/salvation, we can be assured of it...although sometimes it's not by feelings, but by faith.

Should I live my life according to God's expectations?
I would say...yes. It depends on how you view these expectations or how they are met.

Sounds like a no brainer, but is that the right way to look at it? is there a better way?
A better way? When you mention "way"...it reminds me of Jesus, being the only "way" to the Father. I would say that there is no better way than Jesus.

I am reminded that there was a voice from heaven that has spoken: "This is my beloved Son (Jesus), in whom I am well pleased". I think that no matter how much you try to please God by your own works...it's not enough.

I've struggled so much with similar things as you have mentioned. I know that it is good or maybe even necessary in some way or another to pray and read the Bible. But, not in a religous or legalistic mentality. Even still...I've noticed my personal choices seem to be affected when I do not pray or read the Bible. Where's the balance? I'm not too sure. Maybe God knows what each of us personally needs. I may need a little more attention than you would. Our Physician and Father knows our needs...my problems, condition, personality, or frame may be different than yours. I may be stronger or weaker than you.

I don't know how you are living right now. This is a difficult issue to deal with in some cases. If we are still to love our neighbor as ourself...and we see our neighbor in sin, and we care about them...I wouldn't think that we'd want to see them in sin. If I loved God...my desire or choices to sin would be less, because of my love for him. If I loved myself enough not to suffer unwanted consequences, I'd probably not dabble in sin. If I loved my neighbor as myself and wouldn't want them to suffer unnecessary negative consequences, I'd probably try to help them, in a loving way, avoid sin.

This is very difficult to deal with in some cases. Some may think that sin cannot affect one's life, or the eternal life that they have been given. Even though I've stated above on some things that Jesus is what pleases God. I'm not trying to confuse or bring about debates or anything...but I'll just share my perspective on this.

Eternal life is Christ himself (1 John 1:2). As in the parable in the seed and the sower we see that the soil receives the seed (the word of God, who is Christ himself...who is eternal life). This life eventually was effected in some by lusts that entered in, or the cares of this life, deceitfulness of riches, etc. This eternal life was choked or withered up in two of the four types of soil that was illustrated. This eternal life is not something that the soil received by works of its own. This eternal life is apart from the individual believer...it's what the believer had within them.

As I have mentioned above...we must yield to the Holy Spirit within us if we have him. Because in him is no sin...but in our flesh itself dwells no good thing (as Paul said...but don't confuse these things meaning that the treasure that we have in our earthen vessel is not good either...but focus more on the earthen vessel in the aspect of what is not good...although humans were created good, we were affected by the fall after humans sinned. Please understand that I'm not gnostic).

Jesus did tell others after their encounter with him to "go, and sin no more".

If we have that in which dwells no sin, should we continue in sin? How can two walk together except they be agreed (Amos 3:3)?

I believe that we must yield to the Holy Spirit within...yet we do not lose our salvation due to us commiting sin (obviously there is "a" sin, which I believe is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit)...but it can be affected, and eventually lost...we can cast off our first faith and apostacize, or become reprobate.

I've seen the effects of sin in my own life...I can't say that it's okay to sin or continue in sin...although we may struggle or sin in our lives. No, we're not perfect in ourselves or flesh, and never will be...but, God is perfect. One day, if we are of those saved, we'll put off this vile body, and receive a new body.

Have the love of the Father in you...and with this love, love them.

What is it that makes a Christian different from other people?
A Christian is one who has (possesses) Christ...the others don't. Out of this possession of Christ will come HIS fruit, against such there is no law. You just simply abide in him, him in you, and yield to him.

Should this be a factor in my encounters with people?
Yes...

I think that people will hate you because of Christ in you. The world hates Christ. Even some who call themselves Christians hate Christ. The devil is really after that seed. Jesus said that you would be persecuted...and even in the Beattitudes, didn't he say that you were actually blessed if you were persecuted in certain way? I don't think it's wrong to be a goody-goody. I'd rather be that than "lawless".

The meanest people I've known (and that have seemingly done the meanest things to me) have been those who have called themselves Christians. But...I wouldn't consider them Christians, unless they are only struggling or are weak in the faith. Even still...I would not forsake "Christianity" because of the way that they have treated me. Because I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. My faith shouldn't be in the Christians (or in their performance or their behavior), but in Christ himself.

In my life, the meanest that I have been to anybody was towards a Christian...and other Christians as well. Although at the same time I had considered myself a Christian...but I was a hypocrite. Since then, things have changed, though.

No...unless there is a different perception of what a preacher is, besides the general understanding of the word.

I think you have made a good point.

I think of Jesus saying to Peter of his understanding (revelation) that Jesus is the Christ came not from flesh and blood, but from his Father.

But I also remember that Paul and Apollos and such didn't just preach the message without any concern of the hearers being convinced in a certain sense. As Paul separated those who believed from the others who had rejected the Word preached unto them...I think the time that he was willing to spend with them shows that he had some concern with them being settled in the faith...instead of just preaching the Word and leaving them to their own to figure things out. It's as what the Scrptures say...one planted and another watered, but God gave the increase. I can see how a new believer in Chirst may need a little extra care...a little watering...considering that their roots may not be deep enough to tap into a deeper source at that point. They're just young and fragile...any extra bit of help wouldn't hurt. In some cases...if they don't believe and reject it, what can you do? But I believe that God may still reach out to them, not wanting them to perish.

As I believe Paul also had said, in relation to convincing people...that their faith or confidence wouldn't rest in man's wisdom, but in the power of God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.