Christianity and Capital Punishment

Is capital punishment compatible with Christianity?

• Yes

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From a strictly Christian perspective, in terms God's overall view of it, it seems to me like judgement day includes capital punishment; the second death. It doesn't make it my job to do it now or then, but sometimes it seems like people mistake God's grace and mercy for how He really views things.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
if in the earliest centuries of the church, capital punishment was applied to Christians, then perhaps a similar danger lurks in the time of Gog and Magog? If the first Christians on this earth were persecuted with capital punishment then perhaps the last Christians on this planet (prior to final judgment day) will have to fear the same ???
The persecution will probably be more along the lines of losing your livelihood in the Western world, and genocide like in the ME as is happening already. Capital punishment and torture will be the persecution method to deal with being Christian in China, as is happening now.
Maybe it will be hard to distinguish end times from post modern times actually.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
From a strictly Christian perspective, in terms God's overall view of it, it seems to me like judgement day includes capital punishment; the second death. It doesn't make it my job to do it now or then, but sometimes it seems like people mistake God's grace and mercy for how He really views things.
Many people who criticize this latest change of the catechism do not do so from the perspective of a greatly reduced rate of capital punishment, even a rate of zero. It has more to do with what saying capital punishment is anti Christian and immoral in correctly teaches us about God. Judgment day is the severest punishment of all. If it is not, Justice is reduced to farce.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In one case there were nine witnesses that said the innocent man had done it. Later seven of them recanted. He was proven innocent. In another case a woman gave a description of the man who raped her. The police suggested someone else to her and she agreed that was that man. It was later proven that it wasn't him at all.

To clarify, recently there was a gang in NY who pulled a kid out of a store, stabbed him multiple times, left him for dead, and he did die. This was done on the street and it was caught on film because of the store cameras. So, we have video tape and many witnesses. I consider that to be overwhelming evidence.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think "to err is human" is an acceptable standard for purposely taking someone's life.
Who are ones purposely taking the lives of wrongly convicted murderers.?

To err means to make mistakes. To err does not mean to purposely make mistakes.

What if your son dies from a car accident caused by an erring driver.? You want to abolish driving and ban cars, like you want to abolish the death penalty.?

"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."
P S - About 30,000 Americans die each year from vehicular accidents. Over a span of about 20 years, only about 120 Americans were wrongly convicted of murder with only about 30 of them being actually executed.

No human-administered system can be perfect, including the legal system.

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To clarify, recently there was a gang in NY who pulled a kid out of a store, stabbed him multiple times, left him for dead, and he did die. This was done on the street and it was caught on film because of the store cameras. So, we have video tape and many witnesses. I consider that to be overwhelming evidence.
So, should the NY gangsters be given the death penalty for murder.?

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who are ones purposely taking the lives of wrongly convicted murderers.?

To err means to make mistakes. To err does not mean to purposely make mistakes.

What if your son dies from a car accident caused by an erring driver.? You want to abolish driving and ban cars, like you want to abolish the death penalty.?

"Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."
P S - About 30,000 Americans die each year from vehicular accidents. Over a span of about 20 years, only about 120 Americans were wrongly convicted of murder with only about 30 of them being actually executed.

No human-administered system can be perfect, including the legal system.

There are not just people wrongly convicted by mistake. There are also people who are wrongly convicted due to corruption within the legal system. Purposely false evidence, withholding evidence, etc. There are people within the judicial system who are more interested in their conviction rates than actually getting to the truth. Documentaries and articles have been written about these things.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have a higher standard of evidence before making a mistake uncorrectable.

You are correct that there are very few instances where capital punishment are carried out. If that was to change, however, then yeah, there needs to be a higher standard of evidence for capital punishment in my opinion because we do not want our government to be any more guilty of innocent blood than it is/has to be.

Upvote 0

akaDaScribe

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2018
Boston Area
✟97,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, should the NY gangsters be given the death penalty for murder.?

That's up to the government. However, I will say this. When the government does not carry out justice, it encourages it's citizens to carry it out by other means. People always think about the redemption of the criminal, but who considers the salvation of the victim's family? How many have lost their way because they could not reconcile the injustice? Just something to think about.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do too if their faces can be clearly seen and clearly identified by more than one person.

NY state's Constitution doesn't allow the death penalty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,239.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So are you telling me that on average one person is wrongly executed by the United States of America every eight months. In whose world is that acceptable?

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are not just people wrongly convicted by mistake. There are also people who are wrongly convicted due to corruption within the legal system. Purposely false evidence, withholding evidence, etc. There are people within the judicial system who are more interested in their conviction rates than actually getting to the truth. Documentaries and articles have been written about these things.
Yes, abuses of the US legal system do happen which resulted in some being wrongly convicted of murder.
....... Abuses of the capitalist system also did happen during the 2008 US Housing and Stock Market crash/collapse which resulted in some being victims who lost all of their savings/money/retirement and homes. A few even committed suicide. Does that mean we should abolish the Stock and Housing Markets, like abolishing the death penalty.?

Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So are you telling me that on average one person is wrongly executed by the United States of America every eight months. In whose world is that acceptable?
If USA can accept about 30,000 American persons dying from vehicular accidents every year, then USA can accept about 1 person being wrongly or mistakenly or accidentally executed every 8 months.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,239.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If USA can accept about 30,000 American persons dying from vehicular accidents every year, then USA can accept about 1 person being wrongly or mistakenly or accidentally executed every 8 months.
I am gobsmacked.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, then you believe that Peter's blood should have been shed after he shed the blood of Malchus in the the Garden? Or was Jesus changing what the past had taught? The story differs somewhat amongst the Gospels but we do see Jesus telling Peter to put away his sword for he who takes up the sword shall die by the sword.
And if we keep reading as I paraphrase, -Put up the sword Peter because there are things that must happen this evening which you cannot change. If you persist in trying to stop them they will kill you. There are too many of them anyway. No, this is the beginning of what must be. I must be taken before the magistrate this day to fulfill prophesy and I do not permit you to change any of the coming events.-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stealthsaint

NIGHTHAWK 777
Jul 30, 2010
Kelowna: British Columbia
✟12,019.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
By now it should be well-known that Pope Francis has revised the Catholic Catechism to say that capital punishment is inadmissible. What do you think about the relationship between Christianity and capital punishment? I want to hear from all Christians, and I also want to give Catholics a place to argue. The topic is two-fold: capital punishment in general, and also specifically within the Catholic Church.

Some relevant links:
IT IS WRITTEN: Rely not on own understanding.
I have one scripture comment of truth. The question is of the world, the answer submitted below is of the KINGdom NOT of the world

Matthew 6:14 For if you forgive men their offenses, your heavenly Father will forgive you also;

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,756.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And if we keep reading as I paraphrase, -Put up the sword Peter because there are things that must happen this evening which you cannot change. If you persist in trying to stop them they will kill you. There are too many of them anyway. No, this is the beginning of what must be. I must be taken before the magistrate this day to fulfill prophesy and I do not permit you to change any of the coming events.-
Extreme paraphrasing.. .

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,239.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I went away and came back, and I am still gobsmacked. I understand the concept of a just war, however that is not what we are talking about. This is the matter of capital punishment. You speak of only 120 wrongful murder convictions in 20 years, and only 30 innocent people being executed in that twenty year period. I believe that if that is the best you system of jurisprudence can deliver, then some major rethinking needs to be done. Those numbers are not alright. Improving road safety will still not make those figures alright.

Genesis 1:26-27
Then God said, ‘Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.’ So God created humankind in his image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.​

I also challenge the notion of people being accidentally executed. When the state executes an innocent person the state commits state sanctioned murder. It is a deliberate act. The matter of compensation when we get it wrong is that there is no adequate recompense for the victim, for the State has done the undoable.

Given that an average of say 27 people are executed in the USA each year, that means that the State gets it wrong means you have something close to a 6% error rate. One in eighteen executions in error. I have no idea how to respond, to my mind these kinds of results seem appallingly unacceptable.

And the reality is that we know that capital punishment is not a deterrent. Why on earth would you accept that this is OK. God did not create us to be collateral damage. Please think about this.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0