London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
It would hardly be the first game to do so, and nor would it be the only revered institution playing the antagonist.

Assassin's Creed 2 had the RCC as the antagonist, but the previous game had both the Christian and Muslim crusader forces as the antagonists. The primary antagonist was technically an atheist. Doesn't bother me.

The modern-day antagonist in the Assassin's Creed series is a corporation. It's not a problem to have Christians being the villain when it's historically relevant, and Infinite's exploring turn of the 20th century American exceptionalism, which had a religious component. Just because they have some characters who are Christian who behave badly doesn't mean they're claiming that Christianity is all bad.

(Haven't actually played the game yet, so no spoilers plz)

Upvote 0
H

HeyAndy

It would hardly be the first game to do so, and nor would it be the only revered institution playing the antagonist.

Assassin's Creed 2 had the RCC as the antagonist, but the previous game had both the Christian and Muslim crusader forces as the antagonists. The primary antagonist was technically an atheist. Doesn't bother me.

The modern-day antagonist in the Assassin's Creed series is a corporation. It's not a problem to have Christians being the villain when it's historically relevant, and Infinite's exploring turn of the 20th century American exceptionalism, which had a religious component. Just because they have some characters who are Christian who behave badly doesn't mean they're claiming that Christianity is all bad.

(Haven't actually played the game yet, so no spoilers plz)

Sorry about the spoiler if you didn't know about it. You should play the game some time.

Upvote 0

Mich7

Jun 22, 2010
✟15,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have to agree with the op on this one....I played it and when it got to a certain part towards the end of the game where they used 'Jesus' name I did become uncomfortable. Yeah I get it a lot of people use religion as an excuse to do horrible things but it was just the using of salvation which is supposed to be a joyful experience as the turning point that caused all the bigotry and horrible things that were done that just didn't sit right with me. Just my opinion...probably won't bother some people at all.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
If anyone has played Bioshock Infinite what do you make of the Christian aspect incorporated in it?

I played the game and I wasn't comfortable with the direction they took with Christianity. It just seems that the game is antagonising Christianity for the events that happened in the game.

Well, now that I've actually played the game -

Yeah, the theme is fin-de-siecle American exceptionalism. Religion was no small part of it. And yeah, it was certainly pretty racist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wasn't thrilled with the portrayal of christians because the vast majority are not extreme like it portrays. But I still want to play it at some point. The only time I wouldn't play a game is if it went farther then that. One older game I played (back in the dos days) had a scene where you had jesus on a cross (a ingame replica at a museum) and you could catch the cross on fire and your character made a joke about christians.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I wasn't thrilled with the portrayal of christians because the vast majority are not extreme like it portrays.

"are"?

You know it's set in 1912, right?

But I still want to play it at some point.

So you're not thrilled by a game you haven't actually played?

Upvote 0